House Oversight: Trump Admin Travel & Housing

Addie

Re: House Oversight: Trump Admin Travel & Housing

Post by Addie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:27 pm

ABC News
GOP chairman sends staff to review Pruitt travel records at EPA

The Republican chairman of the powerful House Oversight Committee has dispatched staff to the Environmental Protection Agency to review records of embattled administrator Scott Pruitt’s first class travel and security expenses, a committee aide told ABC News Tuesday.

South Carolina Rep. Trey Gowdy's move to send staff to the EPA this week comes after the panel expanded its review to include Pruitt’s controversial $50-a-night rental arrangement. It's the latest sign that ethics concerns raised mostly by Democrats over Pruitt’s spending at EPA could still spread across the aisle.
On Friday, the federal government's top ethics official sent a letter to the EPA expressing concerns with the mounting ethics questions facing Pruitt's actions at the agency, warning that the American public "needs to have confidence that ethics violations, as well as the appearance of ethics violations, are investigated and properly addressed."

Gowdy's staff is reviewing spending on Pruitt's travel, including Pruitt's recent trip to Morocco, and how much Pruitt and the government have spent on expenses and security, according to an aide. The committee's Republican staff has yet to review the waivers that allowed Pruitt to travel first class, which Gowdy first requested in a Feb. 20 letter. The EPA has previously turned over documents to the committee showing that Pruitt spent more than $105,000 on flights - including first-class trips - in his first nine months as the EPA chief.

Committee Democrats, led by Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., the ranking member of the panel, have asked Gowdy to subpoena the EPA for records and hold a hearing with Pruitt and top EPA officials.
Adding:
WaPo: GOP oversight chairman demands more records on Pruitt’s travel, housing

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Trey Goudy is a tool. But I have to grudgingly give him respect as a useful tool.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 pm

I think he's a prosecutor looking for a win. He was a prosecutor gone wild with his Benghazi hearings. Perhaps he will use that same focused energy in a meritorious investigation.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:47 pm

WTF is a challenge coin??

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/clim ... l7MSjnuEye
Scott Pruitt’s Idea to Update an E.P.A. Keepsake:Less E.P.A., More Pruitt
When Scott Pruitt wanted to refashion the Environmental Protection Agency’s “challenge coin” — a type of souvenir medallion with military origins that has become a status symbol among civilians — he proposed an unusual design: Make it bigger, and delete the E.P.A. logo.

Mr. Pruitt instead wanted the coin to feature some combination of symbols more reflective of himself and the Trump administration. Among the possibilities: a buffalo, to evoke Mr. Pruitt’s native Oklahoma, and a Bible verse to reflect his faith.

Many agencies have challenge coins to hand out as gifts to employees or guests. The name comes from a military tradition of carrying a coin stamped with an insignia to prove one’s affiliation, if challenged.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:50 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin
A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion (usually military), bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem and carried by the organization’s members. Traditionally, they are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale. In addition, they are also collected by service members. In practice, challenge coins are normally presented by unit commanders in recognition of special achievement by a member of the unit. They are also exchanged in recognition of visits to an organization.
Edit: An example from my wife's extensive collection:
MVIMG_20180411_185332.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:03 pm

I hadn't heard of challenge coins until the Washington Post ran an article on how Trump had redesigned the presidential challenge coin in his own over-the-top style - It’s ‘very gold’: The presidential coin undergoes a Trumpian makeover

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:22 pm

CNN
Former aide tells Congress of extravagant spending by EPA's Scott Pruitt

Washington (CNN)Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt routinely directed staffers to book expensive hotels, help him earn frequent flier miles and schedule meetings to align with his personal travel desires, a former top staffer told congressional investigators.

Former EPA deputy chief of staff, Kevin Chmielewski also said Pruitt was aware of major raises given to other aides, rebutting Pruitt's account that he was unaware of the salary bumps.

The allegations are laid out in a letter several Democratic members of Congress sent Pruitt and President Donald Trump on Thursday. The letter says the new information about how Pruitt has run the agency reveal actions that are "unethical and potentially illegal."

Chmielewski is currently on unpaid leave from the agency after raising concerns about Pruitt's travel practices and uses of resources and funds.
Adding:
Fortune: Bulletproof Weapons, Smithsonian Art and Biometric Locks: Former Aide Has New Allegations on Scott Pruitt’s Strange Spending Habits

¡Sterngard! come home.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:45 am

Politico
Gowdy expands probe into EPA’s Pruitt

House Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) said Friday he’s expanding his probe into the alleged ethical and spending abuses by EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt one day after his staff met for several hours with a former EPA aide who was pushed out of the agency.

Gowdy’s latest letter is a further sign of the deepening bipartisan scrutiny facing President Donald Trump’s environmental chief, whose critics accuse him of excessive spending on travel, vehicles, staff raises and luxe security features such as a $43,000 soundproof phone booth.

The committee’s new request focuses on the decision to increase Pruitt's security to round-the-clock protection, contracts to sweep Pruitt’s office for electronic surveillance, his trips to Italy and Morocco, the hiring of an Italian security firm, and travel by Pruitt’s security chief, Pasquale “Nino” Perrotta.

The letter comes after the committee interviewed ousted EPA employee and former Trump campaign aide Kevin Chmielewski, who is being treated as a whistleblower. A committee spokeswoman said the information he provided is consistent with allegations laid out in a letter released Thursday by House and Senate Democrats who had also spoken to him.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:51 am

The letter comes after the committee interviewed ousted EPA employee and former Trump campaign aide Kevin Chmielewski, who is being treated as a whistleblower

It is one thing to oust Obama era employees but something else to go after Trump supporters. Pruitt may reap the whirlwind. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Would anyone be surprised if Scott Pruitt where's a rubber duck suit when he is intimate with his...whoever? :confused:

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:36 pm
Would anyone be surprised if Scott Pruitt where's a rubber duck suit when he is intimate with his...whoever? :confused:
:rotflmao: & :sick:

It wouldn't surprise me at all, with the proviso that it is most likely a very expensive, possibly designer, rubber duck suit.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:41 pm

My first thought was that the duck costume would be covered with crude oil and his partner would have to wash him with Dawn Dish Washing Detergent. :sick: :bigvomit:

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:36 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:36 pm

It wouldn't surprise me at all, with the proviso that it is most likely a very expensive, possibly designer, rubber duck suit.
:rotflmao:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:41 pm
My first thought was that the duck costume would be covered with crude oil and his partner would have to wash him with Dawn Dish Washing Detergent. :sick: :bigvomit:
Maybe he's a Crisco man.

BTW, all, this is my day for typos. I meant "wears" a rubber suit. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:

Maybe a Trump brand suit?

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:38 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:

Maybe a Trump brand suit?
Ew - somehow that made the whole thing much, much ickier! :rotflmao:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:

As a University of Oregon alum I'm not sure why that's funny . . . I thought everyone did . . .

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:

And bulletproof. Security, ya know.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 am

maydijo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:23 pm
HilltownGrrl wrote:

As a University of Oregon alum I'm not sure why that's funny . . . I thought everyone did . . .
Oh, noooes! I love Oregon!!!!! No wonder my husband kept mentioning a duck suit while we visited there.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am
HilltownGrrl wrote:

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:59 am
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:50 am
HilltownGrrl wrote:

You're a genius! :clap:

bob

Post by bob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Star Trib.: Watchdog: Zinke charter flight approved without full info:
A $12,000 charter flight by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke was reviewed and approved by department ethics officials without complete information, because staffers who helped schedule the trip did not provide sufficient details, an internal watchdog said Monday.

A report by Interior's inspector general said Zinke's use of a chartered flight after he spoke to a National Hockey League team in Las Vegas "might have been avoided" if Interior employees had worked with the team to accommodate Zinke's schedule.

Zinke and four Interior Department staffers flew on a private plane from Las Vegas to his home state of Montana in June 2017. Zinke has said no commercial flight was available for the late-night flight that allowed him to deliver a speech to Western governors the next day in Whitefish, Montana.

Zinke, a former Montana congressman, was in Las Vegas to speak to the Vegas Golden Knights, the city's new National Hockey League team. The team's owner, Bill Foley, contributed to Zinke's congressional campaigns.

The IG's report, issued Monday, said Zinke never mentioned the Interior Department or his role as secretary in the June 2017 speech to the fledgling hockey team, staff and coaches, instead focusing on his experience as a former Navy SEAL. An ethics official said the speech should have been tied to the department's mission to qualify as an official event.

The ethics official, Melinda Loftin, told investigators she did not know that the team's owner had donated to Zinke's congressional campaign until it was reported in a newspaper article after the speech.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Zinke, a former Montana congressman, was in Las Vegas to speak to the Vegas Golden Knights, the city's new National Hockey League team. The team's owner, Bill Foley, contributed to Zinke's congressional campaigns.

The IG's report, issued Monday, said Zinke never mentioned the Interior Department or his role as secretary in the June 2017 speech to the fledgling hockey team, staff and coaches, instead focusing on his experience as a former Navy SEAL. An ethics official said the speech should have been tied to the department's mission to qualify as an official event.
I wondered at the time how this could be ethical. It stinks.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:28 am

Cross-posting

The Atlantic
Pruitt Aide Resigns Amid Scandals

Millan Hupp filed her paperwork shortly after portions of her congressional testimony were made public.

A top aide to Scott Pruitt, Millan Hupp, resigned from the Environmental Protection Agency, according to a source briefed on the matter and correspondence reviewed by The Atlantic. Her last day will be Friday.

Hupp, who worked as the director of scheduling and advance, has been entangled in many of the scandals dogging EPA Administrator Pruitt. In March, she was one of two aides who received hefty salary bumps, even after the White House refused Pruitt’s request for raises. And as The Washington Post reported on Monday, she recently testified to the House Oversight Committee that she regularly spent her days doing personal tasks for Pruitt, from hunting for housing to calling the Trump Hotel in Washington, D.C., in order to inquire about purchasing a used mattress.

According to one top EPA official, the 26-year-old was “tired of being thrown under the bus by Pruitt,” and weary of seeing her name constantly appear in headlines about the agency. Officials began drafting her resignation paperwork on Monday morning, just after portions of her congressional testimony had been made public.

Hupp’s testimony contributed to the long list of scandals and improprieties plaguing the agency—including, most notably, that Pruitt rented a Capitol Hill condo from an energy lobbyist for just $50 a night, and spent more than $40,000 on a soundproof booth in his office on the taxpayers’ dime. The Washington Post also reported that Pruitt instructed Hupp to inquire about opportunities for his wife to purchase a Chick-fil-A franchise. For months now, according to multiple White House and EPA sources, officials as senior as Chief of Staff John Kelly have lobbied President Donald Trump to fire Pruitt.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Return to “Congress”