OK, so the summary from OWHC is:
- The President would like to declassify this memo
- The DNI, Dept. AG, and Director FBI object to certain passages to be released, on national security concerns
- The President denies declassification at this time
- The President makes available the DNI, Dept. AG, and Director FBI to the Committee to review and perhaps rephrase certain aspects of the memo in order to avoid these concerns.
My immediate response:
- Bullshit. Neither OWHC nor the President made those concerns especially noteworthy while approving the Nunes memo (which was not without objection by the relevant departments)
- At least Trump got briefed on the contents of the memo. Whether they registered or not in his brain is anyone's guess, but I doubt it was a pleasant experience for him. Maybe he even remembered the relevant parts to pass along to his private attorneys - who knows?
- Bullshit. Trump never intended to release the Democratic response. He wanted the ass-covering, ass-kissing memo to be public, not the one that makes him look like a fool or a complicit fool or a tool of a complicit fool.
- At least he has established, for the record, that he is more about covering his own ass than "transparency." Both he and Nunes are sunk by this. It's only a matter of time (and institutional guts).
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)
All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu