James Comey v Donald - Senate Intelligence Committee, Thu June 8 2017 10am

Rose

Re: James Comey v Donald - Senate Intelligence Committee, Thu June 8 2017 10am

Post by Rose » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:45 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
I saw a tweet today from FAKE NEWS (that is, a valid news outlet)
:snippity:

I marvel at the idea that this man is president, yet even I, with no qualifications, could do a better job.
I marvel at the polls showing that 34% of Americans support this unqualified, lying, misogynistic, racist, entitled, spoiled rich boy who never grew up. What are people thinking?

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Did we learn anything new today?
Seagulls on a beach are a thing to be feared.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Everyone seems determined to say Trump himself is not under investigation (he's innocent, I tells ya). But let's say something genuinely comes down about Flynn, Manafort, Kushner, et al. At what point do people say, ummmm, maybe when your entire circle is suspect you shouldn't be in a position of leadership because, well, you're not showing much discretion?

Not to mention ANY ethics, which is what is most concerning to me.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Mikedunford wrote:If we get to the point of an impeachment, I'm not sure I'd be opposed to a pardon. Ultimately, it would depend on the precise circumstances. If Trump is shown to have personally and knowingly been actively engaged in the Russian manipulation of the election, his ass should be nailed to the wall. If it turns out that the cover-up was the crime, I'm not sure anyone benefits from lengthy post-impeachment criminal proceedings.
I have always thought that Ford set a bad precedent when he pardoned Nixon. The lengthy post-impeachment criminal proceedings, had they been applied to Nixon, might have been really hard on the country, but we might not be in the mess we are in now.

No president ever seems to want to go after things the previous president did wrong. It will always be my biggest gripe against Obama that he pretty much up front said he wasn't going to look back at all the things W had done. Moving on isn't always the best thing and just leaves people feeling that the political class rarely pays for its crimes.

Hindsight's easy.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
:lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/10- ... mg00000009

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

listeme

Post by listeme » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm

What I seem to be seeing from the rwnj coalition (contingent? cocoa puffs?) is:

Every revelation until today: UNTRUE! FAKE! UNNAMED SOURCES!

Today: wow, nothing we haven't seen before, lol libs thought this would be frogmarching.

They have used the hearing essentially as a line to step over to "accept" the revelations and pretend they're nothing.

It would be a clever trick, if I didn't see the machinery behind it.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Republican policies completely tanked our economy and yet, 2 years later "we" gave Congress back to them. Go figure.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Rose wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:

I marvel at the idea that this man is president, yet even I, with no qualifications, could do a better job.
I marvel at the polls showing that 34% of Americans support this unqualified, lying, misogynistic, racist, entitled, spoiled rich boy who never grew up. What are people thinking?
I can only tell you at least two of them, people I know, are petrified of CROOKED HILLARY and were on their seat's edge, afraid she'd win and comforting each other on election night that their man wasn't out of it yet. They are not poor, uneducated, rural people (the mythical base), either. They are now seeing this as vindictive persecution aided and abetted by FAKE MEDIA.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:26 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status ... 5609788421
Bob Woodward speaks about Comey's testimony and the "Big Dog" in the room that hasn't barked.
Close. It is Carl Bernstein. He looks at the big picture.
Thanks!!! :oops:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:31 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status ... 5609788421
Bob Woodward speaks about Comey's testimony and the "Big Dog" in the room that hasn't barked.
Close. It is Carl Bernstein. He looks at the big picture.
Yeah, I was going to correct that also. Bob Woodward hasn't had anything cogent to say in years.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:48 pm

What struck me the most was Comey's reply to Warner's question:
"What was about that meeting that led you to determine that you needed to start putting down a written record?"
COMEY: A combination of things. I think the circumstances, the subject matter, and the person I was interacting with. Circumstances, first, I was alone with the president of the United States, or the president-elect, soon to be president. The subject matter I was talking about matters that touch on the FBI's core responsibility, and that relate to the president, president-elect personally, and then the nature of the person. I was honestly concerned he might lie about the nature of our meeting so I thought it important to document. That combination of things I had never experienced before, but had led me to believe I got to write it down and write it down in a very detailed way.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 pm

What does Dan Rather have to say?
There are many things you can say about former FBI Director James Comey, but one thing is certain: he is a master storyteller.

The narrative that he weaved today in his opening statement and in fielding questions from the Senate panel, was as gripping as it was deeply disturbing. It could have been the pitch for a Hollywood film, but sadly it is all too real. Once Donald Trump could control the news cycle. No longer.

As a journalist, there are some moments when stories explode (often literally) with the unexpectedness of breaking news - a terrorist attack, an assassination, a tsunami or earthquake. There are others that build, sometimes very slowly, rising from small articles buried in the back of the newspaper to headlines blaring across the front page. They are often ones that require a lot of investigative reporting - like Watergate, or that take time to reach a consensus on their seriousness, like climate change. This Russia story is moving with the speed of breaking news, but it is fueled by all the reporting and seriousness of the most important inflection points of history. It is unlike anything I have ever seen - a story that will reverberate across the ages.

Since the time of the ancients who gathered around fires, storytelling is the way we best share information as a species. "Tell me a story," was the mantra at CBS News when I was coming up. And it was true. You could have all the facts, but if you could make it connect through a story then you could have a much bigger effect.

That is what James Comey did today. He wrestled the narrative to his vantage point. He was clear. Direct. Precise. But this is not the end of the story. President Trump has many defenders, as shown by several of the questions by the Republican senators today. However in the end, this story is beyond their or the President's control. And it is not a hard one to grasp. What was the President hiding and did he obstruct justice? The fate of his Administration and the future of our nation hangs in the balance.

Do you think the testimony today will change the direction we have been going up until now?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Dan1100 wrote:
Seems like what the Republicans are ignoring is that to know if it is criminal, context is everything.

"You have a beautiful family, it would be a shame if anything happened I hope they remain well." isn't extortion except in context.
Subtlety. No need to mention bad things.
:thumbs:

No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Rose wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:

:mememe:

I know this one! My NRA/Trumpfanboy contractor said Trump is doing a great job and so says the news he listens to. It's the Democrat idiots who aren't letting him do anything. Of course he's not listening to any hearings, he's got work to do. Never could figure out what they are talking about with that twit thing. It's not on his phone.

He doesn't read or write well but can build anything and do everything with every single SKU at Home Depot. Politics is a far off thing. There's no nuances; everything is either wrong or right. Hearings are just for show as everything real is done behind closed doors. He votes but would never contact his congresspeople -- if he voted for them, then he's behind them 100%. If he didn't vote for them, they are evil Democrats who wouldn't listen to him anyway. He thinks I'm a non-elite very smart person even if I'm up in evil Boston.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Rose wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:

Who said they are thinking?

Isn't non-thinking the underlying problem?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Off Topic
listeme wrote:What I seem to be seeing from the rwnj coalition (contingent? cocoa puffs?) is:

Every revelation until today: UNTRUE! FAKE! UNNAMED SOURCES!

Today: wow, nothing we haven't seen before, lol libs thought this would be frogmarching.

They have used the hearing essentially as a line to step over to "accept" the revelations and pretend they're nothing.

It would be a clever trick, if I didn't see the machinery behind it.
That reminds me of this meme on Facebook

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:23 pm

GreatGrey wrote:
If you're holding a French fry, yes, they are.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Chilidog wrote:
GreatGrey wrote:
If you're holding a French fry, yes, they are.
BTDT.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Living in Cincinnati, I get to listen to Bill Cunningham's radio show, which is much worse than he comes off on television. Cunningham is a lawyer, in fact, he's a damn good criminal defense lawyer and as much as I know how good he is it amazes me how much of a shill he is, and how he has to know that Trump is in a lot of trouble. I guess he's playing to his audience.

Anyhow, tonight he was crowing like a demented rooster that "Trump was not under investigation!!!" Which is true.

But I kept thinking to myself that someone needs to call the Washington Post and tell them they got the Watergate story all wrong. You see, we've all known for 40 years now that Nixon was never even accused of being among those arrested in the third rate burglary.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:49 pm

The Hill: White House: Trump is not a liar:
White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Thursday that President Trump is “not a liar” hours after ousted FBI Director James Comey said the president had lied about the FBI.

I can definitively say the president is not a liar,” Sanders told reporters during an off-camera briefing at the White House. “I think it is frankly insulting that question would be asked.”

Sanders also would not say whether the White House has a taping system that might have recorded Trump’s talks with Comey.

“I have no idea,” she said.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:52 pm

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:12 pm

bob wrote:The Hill: White House: Trump is not a liar:
White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Thursday that President Trump is “not a liar” hours after ousted FBI Director James Comey said the president had lied about the FBI.

I can definitively say the president is not a liar,” Sanders told reporters during an off-camera briefing at the White House. “I think it is frankly insulting that question would be asked.”

Sanders also would not say whether the White House has a taping system that might have recorded Trump’s talks with Comey.

“I have no idea,” she said.
He is a well-documented teller of falsehoods. Does no one have any integrity?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:16 pm

While I was pleased with much of Comey's testimony today, and I believe most of it was truthful (what wasn't is discussed below), it should not pass that he was also a simpering coward.

He never told the President that it was improper to meet with him alone.

He never told the President that the AG should be present when he was talking to Comey.

He never told the President it was improper for the President to try to influence an investigation.

He never told the President that his (Comey's) "loyalty" was to the Constitution.

He stuck around for the one on one dinner, knowing it was improper instead of telling Trump it was an improper thing for either of them to do.

Why did Comey not do these things? Sen. Dianne Feinstein asked a question as to one of the things Comey did not do, as set forth above. Comey told Sen. Feinstein "good question" and then confabulated that he was "stunned." Bullshit. Comey already knew Trump was a prodigious liar and manipulator. Comey was trying to save his own job and did not say any of those things to Trump because he was trying to stay right on the line in the hope Trump would not fire him.

So, in my opinion, Comey lied his ass off, and his tell was to respond to Sen. Feinstein initially by commenting "good question." It was a good question because Comey knew it would out him for the coward he is if he told the truth.

Yes, Comey was helpful in dealing with Trump. But he is also responsible for putting Trump into office. And he was a sniveling coward on the nine -- count 'em, 9 -- occasions when Trump importuned him with slightly veiled demands.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:28 pm

This 8th Cir. case is making the rounds. The defendant's sentence was increased ("upward adjustment" in USSG parlance) for obstruction of justice. And what was the obstruction?:
8th Cir. wrote:I hope and pray to God you did not say anything about a weapon when you were in Iowa.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Return to “President & Executive Branch”