James Comey

Gregg

Re: James Comey

Post by Gregg » Thu May 11, 2017 4:54 pm

He didn't just trash new new kid. He had all his hired media whores insist, in no uncertain terms, that he was only acting because the Deputy AG wrote a memo saying he should. They in several interviews were quite clear that Trump was just sitting in the Oval Office, clearing the spot where his Emmy is gonna go someday, and out of nowhere they came in and convinced him he HAD TO FIRE Comey. Now, today, by dinner and before the best chocolate cake you've ever had.

Today, in an interview that may have been recorded while the team, and the Vice President of the United States were still on the networks telling his lies, he didn't just admit he did it himself and the letter was just a memo to make it look good. He was just short of Jack Nicholson in An Officer and a gentleman.."You can't handle the truth! and I drank the bong water!"

How long is he going to have people willing to look stupid on national TV for him?

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 11, 2017 5:23 pm

And I want Comey, asked in an open hearing, to be asked "Did you tell the President, on three separate occasions, that he wasn't under investigation. I want him to call Trump a liar.

No "I can't recall saying anything that might be mistakenly misconstrued as that" or something nice, I want hem to jump on the table and say "are you phucking kidding me? I'm shocked you'd ask a Mississippi Sheriff if he would answer that question, do you think I'm that stupid. But to answer your question, no, the President is at best having a flashback and at worst a phucking liar!"

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 11, 2017 5:28 pm

And another thing. This whole episode could have been avoided, he could have almost quietly fired Comey if he had been willing to wait a few weeks. The Justice Department IG is investigating Comey's handling of the e-mails and that is not going to be a flattering report. If he had just waited in it, he would have had a least a plausible cover to fire him.

ETA: Well, not fire him, but if he could also give up the chance to humiliate him, after said report issues, he could have called Comey in and gotten a resignation that would be a lot easier to defend.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu May 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Gregg wrote:And another thing. This whole episode could have been avoided, he could have almost quietly fired Comey if he had been willing to wait a few weeks. The Justice Department IG is investigating Comey's handling of the e-mails and that is not going to be a flattering report. If he had just waited in it, he would have had a least a plausible cover to fire him.

ETA: Well, not fire him, but if he could also give up the chance to humiliate him, after said report issues, he could have called Comey in and gotten a resignation that would be a lot easier to defend.
Given the warrants being served today, Trump probably didn't have that kind of time.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

much ado

Post by much ado » Thu May 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Gregg wrote:And another thing. This whole episode could have been avoided, he could have almost quietly fired Comey if he had been willing to wait a few weeks. The Justice Department IG is investigating Comey's handling of the e-mails and that is not going to be a flattering report. If he had just waited in it, he would have had a least a plausible cover to fire him.

Given the warrants being served today, Trump probably didn't have that kind of time.
Yes, there does seem to be a sense of urgency, doesn't there?

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu May 11, 2017 5:39 pm

much ado wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Yes, there does seem to be a sense of urgency, doesn't there?
The firing of Comey may have sped up the timetable, but the process already had to be well underway.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu May 11, 2017 6:25 pm

Palmer, Mensch, et al, were reporting over a week ago that Federal cases had been filed in NY and VA with warrents expected soon.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu May 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Lani wrote:Palmer, Mensch, et al, were reporting over a week ago that Federal cases had been filed in NY and VA with warrents expected soon.
Two very dubious characters, at best.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 pm

...and yet...

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Off Topic
Senator pitched Merrick Garland for FBI director to White House

Sen. Mike Lee raised eyebrows in Washington, D.C., today for his suggestion that former Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland could lead the FBI, a pitch that was heard by the White House first, according to his spokesman.

Lee, R-Utah, visited the White House for a tax reform meeting Wednesday. The spokesman said Kee raised the possibility of Garland as a replacement for recently fired FBI Director James Comey with President Donald Trump's staff. The spokesman noted, however, that the proposal was not made to Trump directly or during the tax reform meeting.

"I think it has some advantages to it because ... this is someone who has a lot of bona fides as a prosecutor," said Lee on Fox News Thursday morning. "He has been one who has got allies as a potential director nominee in both political parties."
Nominating Garland for the FBI position would open his seat on the powerful D.C. circuit and provide Trump the opportunity to pick his own candidate for the lifetime appointment.

Some of Lee's colleagues dismissed the suggestions, while others appeared to endorse it.

"I like that," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, said of the suggestion. "I think he's a good guy."
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senator- ... d=47348732

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu May 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Dolly wrote:
Off Topic
Senator pitched Merrick Garland for FBI director to White House

Sen. Mike Lee raised eyebrows in Washington, D.C., today for his suggestion that former Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland could lead the FBI, a pitch that was heard by the White House first, according to his spokesman.
:snippity:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senator- ... d=47348732
I'm suspicious about that. Sounds like the pubs are interested in getting a more conservation person on that bench, not in finding a new FBI director.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Lani wrote: I'm suspicious about that. Sounds like the pubs are interested in getting a more conservation person on that bench, not in finding a new FBI director.
:yeah:

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Thu May 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Whatever4 wrote:Angus King (Maine) wants Comey to lead Senate investigation on Russia.
Oh, wouldn't that be joyful? Imagine if a House Committee or other major body (ACLU?) promptly appointed Comey to an influential role in investigating or challenging the Russia/Trump scandal. Gave him accreditation to speak to press and politicians etc. Basically pick up that knight piece and put it back on the chessboard, right under the Shitgibbon's nose. I would dance like a giddy toddler.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 pm

I would dance like a 7th grade girl!!!!!

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:Angus King (Maine) wants Comey to lead Senate investigation on Russia.
Oh, wouldn't that be joyful? Imagine if a House Committee or other major body (ACLU?) promptly appointed Comey to an influential role in investigating or challenging the Russia/Trump scandal. Gave him accreditation to speak to press and politicians etc. Basically pick up that knight piece and put it back on the chessboard, right under the Shitgibbon's nose. I would dance like a giddy toddler.
I was thinking the New York State Attorney General's Office.

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Thu May 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
Gregg wrote:These people think this way.
Off Topic
It's wonderful to have such a strong and outspoken rational conservative voice here. I'm sorry that your party became despicable, but the Fogbow has greatly benefited from your presence. It's good for all of us bleeding heart liberals to be reminded that there are still people with integrity on the right who are willing to engage with people who don't share their opinions. Your comments tend to be pretty insightful too. also. so you've got that going for you.
:bighug:
:yeah:

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Thu May 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Hercule Parrot wrote:
Cool. Sort of like bughouse chess!
:towel:

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Thu May 11, 2017 8:05 pm

The acting head of the FBI has said that James Comey, the bureau’s director fired by Donald Trump, enjoyed broad support among its staff – directly contradicting the White House’s assertion that he had lost the confidence of the FBI rank and file.

When confronted with the Trump administration’s claim of Comey’s unpopularity, Andrew McCabe – who has been the FBI’s acting director since the sacking – told the Senate intelligence committee: “That is not accurate.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... te-hearing

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 8:07 pm

He would, too :lol:
Dan1100 wrote:I was thinking the New York State Attorney General's Office.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Thank you, I'm flattered.

One remnant of the Jesuit portion of my education is the intellectual imperative to consider that the argument opposed to your own position might have some merit. The priests served me well.

Put another way. When he was elected I didn't agree with many of Obama's policies. But I also conceded that he he was pretty smart and the possibility must exist that on things we did not agree on, he could be right and I could be wrong. I cannot tell you how many times I have explained this concept to the people I do tend to agree with and was met with absolute horror that I would think something so radical.

I don't think Obamacare was a very good answer, I think that the best answer is to try to get private industry to find a way to cover everyone and also find ways to take costs out of the healthcare system without sacrificing the quality of the basic level of minimum coverage. I also think the stick to this approach is to assume a single payer system is the only viable alternative if the private sector can't find a better way. Fundamentally, we are the wealthiest society in human history, surely we can find a few dollars to insure that everyone have access to basic levels of healthcare. I have spent my professional life as a part of a vast industrial company and am still amazed at how effective we can find the absolutely cheapest way to make extremely high quality complex machines in spite of still wasting millions of dollars daily on things that 30 years ago horrified my. If we can make money building cars that get better and advance in technology every year and at the same time get inflation adjusted cheaper every year I'm absolutely convinced that if we turned our attention to it as a society we could make sure people don't die from neglect. As it is, the things that made the ACA such a bad law are not that it was a bad idea, it was just that it was the best idea that could be achieved while a nearly half of our leadership was trying to impede it from the day it was developed to the entire attempt to implement it. People are dying so that some whores in Congress can brag that they kept the ebil guv'ment out of your damn healthcare (up until you want reproductive health, then we're all over it)/

There, I've gone preaching off topic again, and for that I'm sorry. Again, thanks for the expressions of appreciation. Some of us are trying to be good people.

tek

Post by tek » Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Gregg wrote:Some of us are trying to be good people.
:like:
At the end of the day, that's pretty much all that matters.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm

Shout out to Foggy;
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 pm

New York Times
In a Private Dinner, Trump Demanded Loyalty. Comey Demurred.

WASHINGTON — Only seven days after Donald J. Trump was sworn in as president, James B. Comey has told associates, the F.B.I. director was summoned to the White House for a one-on-one dinner with the new commander in chief.

The conversation that night in January, Mr. Comey now believes, was a harbinger of his downfall this week as head of the F.B.I., according to two people who have heard his account of the dinner.

As they ate, the president and Mr. Comey made small talk about the election and the crowd sizes at Mr. Trump’s rallies. The president then turned the conversation to whether Mr. Comey would pledge his loyalty to him.

Mr. Comey declined to make that pledge. Instead, Mr. Comey has recounted to others, he told Mr. Trump that he would always be honest with him, but that he was not “reliable” in the conventional political sense.

The White House on Wednesday said this account is not correct. And Mr. Trump, in an interview on Thursday with NBC, described a far different dinner conversation with Mr. Comey in which the director asked to have the meeting and the question of loyalty never came up. It was not clear whether he was talking about the same meal, but they are believed to have had only one dinner together.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 pm

I heard that they told Trump not to go to Langley to give a pep speech to the FBI.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Langley is the CIA, he already went and pissed off them. The FBI is in downtown DC, across from the DOJ, and he might not want to go there, unlike CIA people, FBI Agents routinely carry firearms. Given their traditional non partisan stance, they might just openly boo the guy. Would the Secret Service collect everyone's firearms for this? Really, I don't know and I want to.

But yeah, I expect he's almost as popular at the FBI today as Hillary Clinton might be on Infowars.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”