James Comey

Chilidog

James Comey

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 09, 2017 1:09 pm

So, he completely botched his latest testimony

As much as I despise him for what he did before the election, I don't want him to resign.

Can you imagine who Trump might pick to replace him?

June bug

Re: James Comey

Post by June bug » Tue May 09, 2017 1:12 pm

A case of better the devil we know than the one we don't. :madguy:

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue May 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm mildly nauseous.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue May 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Chilidog wrote:As much as I despise him for what he did before the election, I don't want him to resign.

Can you imagine who Trump might pick to replace him?
I want the complete Trump nutjob officers intact for the 2018 elections. Some people have short memories and replacing anyone with someone better six months or more out before the election will have people forgetting.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue May 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I think he wiped out any good feelings that liberals had for him from years ago when this happened:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/dem ... d=19289113
The former Bush administration official became something of a folk hero for some of the most riveting congressional testimony in history.

"As far as I'm concerned, when the Justice Department lost Jim Comey, it lost a towering figure," said Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., during that congressional hearing in 2007. And when he said that, Schumer wasn't referring to Comey's 6'8 frame.

In that testimony, Comey recounted how he, a deputy attorney general under John Ashcroft, rushed to his boss's hospital bedside to urge him not to sign an authorization for a classified domestic wiretapping program.
I wasn't all that thrilled with Obama appointment him to his current position. Comey got the nomination largely based on this incident. I remember it from the W days. The idea of hiring republicans for administration positions may be laudable, but it has not worked out well in the long run. Mostly, though, it's never, or nearly never, reciprocated on the other side of the aisle.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 09, 2017 4:33 pm

:yeah: I have seen Democrats do this over and over and, yes, it's rarely reciprocated and never appreciated. And Republicans just used these kinds of gestures against Obama. Fuck them. I think it's time for Democrats to quit trying to extend the olive branch. I would totally support Democrats wiping the floor with Republicans.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:47 pm

***Breaking news***

Comey fired. Check your favorite news source.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 95036862fd

President Trump dismisses FBI Director Comey
FBI Director James B. Comey has been dismissed by the president, according to White House spokesman Sean Spicer.

“The president has accepted the recommendation of the Attorney General and the deputy Attorney General regarding the dismissal of the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” Spicer told reporters in the briefing room, according to a pool report.

Earlier in the day, the FBI notified Congress that Comey misstated key findings involving the Hillary Clinton email investigation during testimony last week, saying that only a “small number’’ of emails had been forwarded to disgraced congressman Anthony Weiner, not the “hundreds and thousands’’ he’d claimed in his testimony.

The letter was sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, more than a week after Comey testified for hours in defense of his handling of the Clinton probe.

“This letter is intended to supplement that testimony to ensure that the committee has the full context of what was reviewed and found on the laptop,’’ wrote FBI Assistant Director Gregory A. Brower.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Whoa.
Whoa.
Whoa.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm not up to such high drama today.

¡Sterngard! come home.

listeme

Post by listeme » Tue May 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Y'all.

This is genuinely chaotic. I am going to have pie for supper and put myself to bed.

We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue May 09, 2017 5:54 pm

NY Times.
WASHINGTON — President Trump has dismissed the director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Tuesday.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/us/p ... d-fbi.html

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Tue May 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Kendra wrote:NY Times.
WASHINGTON — President Trump has dismissed the director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Tuesday.
Wow, I did not really see that coming, and I hardly think Sessions has the experience to make that kind of decision.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue May 09, 2017 6:01 pm

Wow! I'm not sure this is such a smart move.

Coverup, anyone?

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Archibald Cox.
AndyinPA wrote:Wow! I'm not sure this is such a smart move.

Coverup, anyone?

¡Sterngard! come home.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue May 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Lunaluz wrote:
Kendra wrote:NY Times.
Wow, I did not really see that coming, and I hardly think Sessions has the experience to make that kind of decision.
The WaPo article above quotes Spicer saying it was on the recommendation of both Sessions and the Deputy Attorney General, which would be Rosenstein. That means the coverup is getting much deeper and much darker. I can only hope they're digging their own grave, not ours.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm afraid to go to sleep. I'm afraid to not go to not go to sleep. WTF is next?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue May 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Here's the release.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue May 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Can we just impeach Trump and end all the madness? Oh wait, the one waiting in the wings isn't any better.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue May 09, 2017 6:10 pm

About 6 months too late.

I had 2 ice cream bars and a beer for supper.

Who had Comey in the next-under-the-bus pool?

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 09, 2017 6:15 pm

FBI sends letter to Senate clarifying James Comey's testimony about Huma Abedin was wrong.
Published 11:46 a.m. ET May 9, 2017 | Updated 20 minutes ago

FBI Director James Comey's testimony that a top Hillary Clinton aide forwarded "hundreds and thousands" of emails involving her boss was wrong, according to a letter the bureau sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.

Last week, Comey testified before a Senate committee that Huma Abedin made a "regular practice" of forwarding messages involving Clinton – some of which contained classified information – to her husband, former New York Rep. Anthony Weiner. As Comey explained, the top Clinton aide did this so Weiner could print them out.

But FBI officials told ProPublica, which first reported the story, that Comey misstated Abedin's actions.

After the news broke, the FBI sent a letter to the committee clarifying that about 49,000 emails potentially relevant to the investigation into Clinton's use of a private emails server were found on Weiner's laptop. A majority of them ended up on the computer because of backups from Abedin's personal electronic devices.

However, only a "small number" of the emails were forwarded by Abedin, the letter said, even though she "commonly forwarded emails to others who would print documents for her." Of those forwarded to Weiner, only two email chains contained classified information. Ten other email chains that had classified information were on the laptop because of backups.

What's more, all 12 email chains had been previously reviewed by investigators, the letter said. <SNIP>
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 101464290/

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Tue May 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Fascism always comes at you fast. Don't blink.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 pm

:shock:

The Twitter machine is going INSANE. :smoking:

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 09, 2017 6:29 pm

AndyinPA wrote:Wow! I'm not sure this is such a smart move.

Coverup, anyone?
Congress won't care

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 09, 2017 6:32 pm

0h, I think they'll be forced to care. :blink:

This is Nixonian-level crisis time, on steroids. Buckle up, folks, it's gonna get real bumpy. :mrgreen:

Welcome, seeker! There's a seeker born every minute!

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue May 09, 2017 6:34 pm

I was a working grownup when Watergate happened and I brought a small black and white tv into my office so I could watch the proceedings. As soon as it was discovered that there was a tv available, most of the building crowded into my office, day after day. Watergate seemed like the end of democracy, but we at least were together, sharing the pain, feeling strength in our numbers. Now we sit at our separate and lonely laptops and I'm terrified. Trump and his minions are so much greater a threat than Nixon ever was.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”