Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

Chilidog

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

Post by Chilidog » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 39421.html
Illinois has ruled every 4 August will be Barack Obama Day to honour the former president’s legacy.

Obama, whose birthday falls on 4 August, began his political career in the Illinois Senate in 1997 and served there until his election to the US Senate in 2004.
Yeah, but it's in August, so it won't be as big as Casimir Pulaski day!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:10 am

Can't wait! :dance: :thumbs:
Inside Obama’s midterm campaign plans
In his first year back in private life, the former president has struggled with how to challenge his successor, but as the midterms approach he's preparing to take on a bigger political role.
By EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE 01/18/2018 05:00 AM EST Updated 01/18/2018 08:12 AM EST

Since leaving office, Barack Obama has struggled with how to do what no modern president has: take on his successor. Over the past year, he’s appeared at rallies, done a robocall, made a few endorsements. His office in Washington’s West End neighborhood, about a mile from the White House, has become a destination for Democrats looking to tap the former president for advice. But with the midterms approaching, people close to him say he’ll shift into higher gear: campaigning, focusing his endorsements on down-ballot candidates, and headlining fundraisers. He’ll activate his 15,000-member campaign alumni association for causes and candidates he supports — including the 40 who are running for office themselves. He’s already strategizing behind the scenes with Democratic National Committee chair Tom Perez and Eric Holder, who’s chairing his redistricting effort.

Throughout, Obama is determined not to become the foil that he can see President Donald Trump clearly wants, and resist being the face of the Resistance for his own party.Obama is aware of his continuing resonance among his fans — proudly pointing out to friends that his tweet of a photo greeting children alongside a Nelson Mandela quote sent after the neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville became the most liked in history. Even his relatively anodyne Martin Luther King Jr. Day tweet got more than 1 million likes. He’s also aware, in a way that he and aides think some supporters don’t fully grasp, of his continuing resonance among people who hate him and would be riled up to vote against whatever he supports. [Obots do! :P ]
Obama isn’t expecting to make campaign appearances until the fall, people who’ve been working on the plans say, and when he does, he will take cues from the National Democratic Redistricting Committee in looking for endorsements and appearances that play up redistricting. He already has pending requests from the DNC, the NDRC, Organizing for Action, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, but he hasn’t yet committed to dates.

The most likely stops will be where races for governor, or perhaps Senate, overlap with competitive races for the House and state legislature. Obama won’t endorse in primaries, but once he does weigh in, will be open to a range of ways to help, from rallies like the one he did for Ralph Northam in the Virginia governor’s race to the robocall he recorded for Doug Jones in the Alabama Senate race. “He’s going to be out there for candidates, he’ll be out there helping us in meaningful ways, not just in fundraising,” Perez said. “The guy was a state senator in ’04, and he was president of the United States four years later. He knows something about winning elections and building a brand.”
Yet his largely hands-off approach to politics since leaving office has left many Democrats apoplectic. If the fight against Trump is a battle for democracy and everything they believe in, they argue, how can he still be sitting on the sidelines? They need all the help they can get. That’s where Paulette Aniskoff comes in. An aide from the 2008 campaign who was in the White House through both terms, she’s become Obama’s de facto post-presidency political director. Though an LLC incorporated as Citizen 44 — which Obama funds from his own pocket, to avoid paying her out of government money that funds former presidents’ personal offices, or out of donations raised for his foundation — Aniskoff has become the point person for candidates and Obama alumni looking for how to get involved. She’s also been talking to donors who’ve been reaching out for a sense from him on where to write checks.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/ ... ump-345491

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 am

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 am
AndyinPA wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:44 pm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 39421.html
Illinois has ruled every 4 August will be Barack Obama Day to honour the former president’s legacy.

Obama, whose birthday falls on 4 August, began his political career in the Illinois Senate in 1997 and served there until his election to the US Senate in 2004.
Yeah, but it's in August, so it won't be as big as Casimir Pulaski day!
The things you learn on the Bow and I live in Pulaski County! The county courthouse has a large bust of Casimir positioned in the rotunda. That's where you meet clients to take them to whatever courtroom they are assigned. :-D

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 am

Thanks for the introduction to Casimir Pulaski. I don't think I've ever heard of him. And he has national monument named after him.

https://www.nps.gov/fopu/learn/historyc ... ulaski.htm
Casimir Pulaski is remembered in many ways. In Poland, he is remembered as a man who fought for freedom on two continents, and is given the title "Soldier of Liberty." In the United States, numerous streets, bridges, counties, and towns are named for him in honor of his aid to American forces. In Savannah, Georgia, a large monument commemorates his sacrifice fighting for the city during the American Revolution. Above all, he is the man who provided the American colonists with their first true legion on horseback, cementing his place as "The Father of the American Cavalry."
Actually, I have heard of places called Pulaski; just never knew the history.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am

But Casimir wasn’t from Norway?

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:31 am

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am
But Casimir wasn’t from Norway?
Not in his 1700's incarnation.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

CNN - video
Obamas' official portraits unveiled

Washington (CNN)Barack and Michelle Obama re-emerged on the public stage Monday in Washington, only this time for an event that has nothing to do with politics.
The former first couple's official portraits were unveiled at the Smithsonian's National Portrait Gallery, a rite of passage for most former presidents, all of whom have their portraits hanging in the museum.

These are perhaps the most anticipated presidential portrait unveilings to date, due in large part to the artists the Obamas selected. The former president chose Kehinde Wiley, a Yale University-trained painter famous for his depiction of African-Americans posed in the style of Old Master paintings, regal, formal and filled with pops of color. ...

Wiley is the first African-American artist to execute an official presidential portrait for the National Portrait Gallery. ...

For her painting, Michelle Obama chose Baltimore-based artist Amy Sherald. Sherald is another African-American artist known for her unique style, and her portraits also tend to underscore themes of social justice. She often paints black skin tones in gray as a way to take away the assigned "color" of her subjects. Sherald's work is less about realism in composition and more about shape and color; like Wiley, the choice of Sherald ushers in a new era of presidential portrait.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:33 am

Social media reacts to unveiling of Obama's portrait
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... s-portrait
Obamas' portraits unveiled at Smithsonian
Portraits of former President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama now have a permanent place at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.

The ex-commander in chief and first lady looked on as the new works of art were unveiled Monday at the National Portrait Gallery.

While artist Kehinde Wiley is typically known for portraying African-Americans as "famous figures in Western art," his portrait of the 56-year-old 44th president "does not include an overt art historical reference," according to the Smithsonian.

The flowers seen in the background of the former president's portrait do have symbolic meanings. The chrysanthemums are the official flower of Chicago, where Obama began his political career. His childhood home of Hawaii is represented through jasmine, and African blue lilies serve as a nod to his late Kenyan-born father, Barack Obama Sr.

Baltimore-based artist Amy Sherald was selected to paint Michelle Obama’s portrait............................. <SNIP>
<text only - no photo>
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... mithsonian
Obama thanks artist for capturing Michelle's 'hotness' in portrait
Former President Obama thanked an artist who did former first lady Michelle Obama's portrait for capturing her "hotness."
Amy, I want to thank you for so spectacularly capturing the grace and beauty and the intelligence and charm and hotness of the woman that I love," he said.

After her portrait was unveiled, Michelle Obama said she "was a little overwhelmed, to say the least."
The former president also commented on his own portrait, calling it "pretty sharp."
The paintings will join the “America’s Presidents” exhibition at the Washington gallery as part of its permanent installation, which will be on view for the public beginning on Tuesday.
<text only - no photo>
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... -capturing

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:39 pm

WaPo: The Obamas’ portraits are not what you’d expect and that’s why they’re great

¡Sterngard! come home.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Words fail me. Very, very dusty in here. I miss them so much! :crying:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 pm

The RWNJs will go nuts over these.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:15 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:52 pm
The RWNJs will go nuts over these.
I certainly hope so.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I think they are marvelous. I love both of them. :lovestruck:

¡Sterngard! come home.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm

They are both beautiful, but her portrait doesn't do her justice. Yes, I know we can debate endlessly about what constitutes a portrait, but that just doesn't look much like her.

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:52 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm
They are both beautiful, but her portrait doesn't do her justice. Yes, I know we can debate endlessly about what constitutes a portrait, but that just doesn't look much like her.
I wish she was smiling - in fact, I wish both of them were. They both have such wonderful smiles.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm

I miss both of them so much, but I honestly don't like either portrait. As June bug said, they have beautiful smiles which are missing. To me, Michelle looks sad and pensive while my POTUS looks perturbed and angry. They each may certainly be feeling that way (and definitely with justification) but I wish the joy they brought could be reflected for posterity.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Thanks goodness there are book's like Pete Souza's which do capture the joy and humanity of the Obamas. I just love looking at Souza's instagram site.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:04 pm
I miss both of them so much, but I honestly don't like either portrait. As June bug said, they have beautiful smiles which are missing. To me, Michelle looks sad and pensive while my POTUS looks perturbed and angry. They each may certainly be feeling that way (and definitely with justification) but I wish the joy they brought could be reflected for posterity.
I think POTUS looks thoughtful, focused, and serious. Unlike the current Occupant. And, he doesn't have tiny hands!

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

MRich

Post by MRich » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:22 pm

maydijo wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm
Agree. If I saw this without context, I wouldn't know it was her.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Hannity et al are saying the filthiest things imaginable about Barack's portrait. I can't even bring myself to repeat them.

They're not human. The way they think, I can't even call them that.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Hannity's been deleting, but many took screen shots and are giving him hell for it.

I tweeted at him my own self.
Hannity1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Image Image Image Image Image

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I haven’t read any comments anywhere (part of my new mental health regimen), but I hate where my brain went on President Obama’s portrait first thing: he’s sitting on the bathroom throne. And then my next thought was gee, the artist must have really disliked him. :cantlook:

I’m going to hide in shame for a bit. :oops:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I wish my bathroom looked that lush!

Toilets can play an important role in art. Last year, one of the Archibald contest contenders, a well-known chef, was depicted on a toilet, holding a roll of toilet paper. She loves the portrait because, she said, ultimately it was where all her food - all these wonderful creations which took her hours and days to make - ended up; so it kept her humble and made her appreciate the transient nature of her art.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm
Hannity's been deleting, but many took screen shots and are giving him hell for it.

I tweeted at him my own self.

Hannity1.JPG
Yeah, the only way they'd go there is if they have those thoughts already. But it does give some insight into their motivation for hating on Obama!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I adore both Obamas, but neither of those portraits do them any favors. Hers doesn't even look like her, and his is so covered with bright green leaves you have to search for him in the jungle. He also looks very aggressive and unapproachable with his position and facial expression. Of course I'm looking at it with a critical artist's eye, but in both of those paintings, it's like the subject took a back seat to everything else. The leaves (and color) in his and the dress in hers overpower everything else.

Both are a swing and a miss for me.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”