Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

June bug

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

Post by June bug » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm
I adore both Obamas, but neither of those portraits do them any favors. Hers doesn't even look like her, and his is so covered with bright green leaves you have to search for him in the jungle. He also looks very aggressive and unapproachable with his position and facial expression. Of course I'm looking at it with a critical artist's eye, but in both of those paintings, it's like the subject took a back seat to everything else. The leaves (and color) in his and the dress in hers overpower everything else.

Both are a swing and a miss for me.
I pretty much agree, Sugar. What bothers me the most about his is the continuation of the jungle theme in the foreground. To me, he ends up looking "ungrounded", almost floating, which isn't a good image for an official POTUS portrait IMO. For her, IMO the problem is two-fold. First, as you said, her face really isn't clearly her. Someone online said it looked more like the actress in "Scandal" and I have to agree. Second, I think part of the the problem with the dress taking over isn't the dress itself - it's the artist's decision to "pale out" her skin tone. Apparently that's typical of this artist's approach, but if her coloring was realistic, I don't think that would happen.
Edit: ETA: Plus, also, too. As I said before, I really wish they'd been shown with those incredible smiles.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
I adore both Obamas, but neither of those portraits do them any favors. Hers doesn't even look like her, and his is so covered with bright green leaves you have to search for him in the jungle. He also looks very aggressive and unapproachable with his position and facial expression. Of course I'm looking at it with a critical artist's eye, but in both of those paintings, it's like the subject took a back seat to everything else. The leaves (and color) in his and the dress in hers overpower everything else.

As an artist (you), you put a finger on what was bothering me in those portraits--that the subjects took back seat to the leaves and color and the overpowering dress. I don't hate them, but I'm not in love with them. And I also miss those smiles.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 pm

June bug wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

I pretty much agree, Sugar. What bothers me the most about his is the continuation of the jungle theme in the foreground. To me, he ends up looking "ungrounded", almost floating, which isn't a good image for an official POTUS portrait IMO. For her, IMO the problem is two-fold. First, as you said, her face really isn't clearly her. Someone online said it looked more like the actress in "Scandal" and I have to agree. Second, I think part of the the problem with the dress taking over isn't the dress itself - it's the artist's decision to "pale out" her skin tone. Apparently that's typical of this artist's approach, but if her coloring was realistic, I don't think that would happen.
Yeah, I didn't want to mention her grey skin because I didn't want to look like I was piling on. It's also why I didn't mention the very weird proportion of her torso. Look how thick she is between her right elbow and the back of her waist. She has broad shoulders naturally, but there's nothing natural about that shape in the picture.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
... and the dress in hers overpower everything else.
I agree with your assessment, but, as a quilter, I thought you might find the article in Politico - The Hidden Political Message of Michelle Obama’s Portrait Dress - to be interesting, especially these two paragraphs:
Secondly, there’s a reason why Obama’s face is the least interesting element here: The dress is as much a window into the former first lady’s identity as her face, and possibly a more accurate one. The gown is a custom creation by Michelle Smith, closely based on a piece from the Spring/Summer 2017 ready-to-wear collection she produced under the more familiar name of her company, Milly. The halter top shows off those famous arms, the humble cotton (with pockets, no less) gives a nod to Obama's down-to-earth approachability and the vast sweep of the skirt lends drama and majesty befitting a first lady.

The colorful pattern speaks to the uniquely Obama-esque blend of patriotism and activism, tradition and modernity. Quilting is the essence of Americana; specifically, the pattern evokes the strikingly modernist quilts created by the isolated African-American community of Gee’s Bend, Alabama, beginning in the late nineteenth century. Created from recycled scraps of fabric, often in unheated shacks with no running water or electricity, the quilts are notable for their abstract, asymmetrical compositions, in stark contrast with the geometric regularity of traditional American quilts. Since being rediscovered in the 1960s, Gee’s Bend quilts have been exhibited at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I like them. In part, that's because they are so unlike the other Presidential portraits, which is itself a message.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Sean Hannity gets a hot tip from his friends at 4chan then tweets it out.

C1.JPG
Curiously Hannity has since deleted this tweet, but the internet is forever.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... a-portrait
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm
I like them. In part, that's because they are so unlike the other Presidential portraits, which is itself a message.
That's why I don't like them. The artist was trying to be edgy and different. There is a time and a place for edgy and different, but official presidential portraits isn't that time.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:13 pm

The flowers are a tribute. The official flower of Chicago, one from Hawaii, and one for his father that blooms in Kenya. I read that this morning, but I've forgotten the names of the flowers already.

When you hire art painters (as opposed to life or portrait painters) you get their style of painting. That's what they did, and I'm not crazy about the treatments myself, but that's art. I don't dislike them either. They're kind of fun.

Bottom line: it's a free country, which the RWNJs seem to forget when it comes to certain types of people.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

bob

Post by bob » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Curiously Hannity has since deleted this tweet, but the internet is forever.
And the want of a comma changes the meaning of the tweet. :roll:

Imagex5 Imagex2 Imagex3 Imagex2

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
That's why I don't like them. The artist was trying to be edgy and different. There is a time and a place for edgy and different, but official presidential portraits isn't that time.
:like:

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:24 pm

:like:
Mikedunford wrote:

¡Qué vergüenza!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:41 pm

Life portraits of Presidents might as well be retouched photographs. Very 19th Century. The Obamas' are really only restating the artistic revolution of the 20th Century against that inflexible, boring style-- and early 20th Century at that. They aren't abstract or even postmodern. So, to me, :yawn:

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:
I don't think these portraits are any edgier than tan suits or dijon mustard.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:00 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:31 pm
Secondly, there’s a reason why Obama’s face is the least interesting element here: The dress is as much a window into the former first lady’s identity as her face, and possibly a more accurate one. The gown is a custom creation by Michelle Smith, closely based on a piece from the Spring/Summer 2017 ready-to-wear collection she produced under the more familiar name of her company, Milly. The halter top shows off those famous arms, the humble cotton (with pockets, no less) gives a nod to Obama's down-to-earth approachability and the vast sweep of the skirt lends drama and majesty befitting a first lady.

The colorful pattern speaks to the uniquely Obama-esque blend of patriotism and activism, tradition and modernity. Quilting is the essence of Americana; specifically, the pattern evokes the strikingly modernist quilts created by the isolated African-American community of Gee’s Bend, Alabama, beginning in the late nineteenth century. Created from recycled scraps of fabric, often in unheated shacks with no running water or electricity, the quilts are notable for their abstract, asymmetrical compositions, in stark contrast with the geometric regularity of traditional American quilts. Since being rediscovered in the 1960s, Gee’s Bend quilts have been exhibited at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston.
I keep seeing those references to quilts, but if they're supposed to be a reference to the Gee's Bend quilts, I call bullshit. For one thing, I have never seen one single Gee's Bend quilt with a circle in it. Not one. And I have seen a LOT of Gee's Bend quilts, including about 50 that have never been widely exhibited in public or photographed. That came about because there was a play several years ago about the quilters that was staged here. As part of the staging, a group of the quilters came up for the opening and brought their quilts (some new, some several generations old) and I was honored to be asked to hang them at the theatre. One of the thrills of my life to get to handle them and talk to the women who made them. For another thing, the perfectly aligned, uniform size of the color blocked stripes are not remotely reminiscent of the quilts, nor is that weird, negative space piece to the top right of the circle.

The whole esthetic of the quilts of Gee's Bend is the linear non-uniformity of them. If anything, the pattern on the dress practically defines "geometric regularity." The actual design on the dress doesn't evoke shit about the women and their quilts.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 pm

I know nothing about quilts other than that I love their patterns (I love that maze quilt recently posted!), so thanks for your input. You are a much appreciated wealth of knowledge. :bighug:

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm

The "extra finger" bugs me.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 pm

DC authorities respond after white powder sent to Obama's offices
BY MAX GREENWOOD - 02/13/18 02:15 PM EST

Authorities in Washington, D.C., responded on Tuesday after a white powdery substance was discovered in mail sent to former President Obama's offices.

D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) and Metropolitan Police Department said the substance was quickly cleared from the building, the headquarters for the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), where Obama leases space. The substance was found to be nonhazardous.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/373640 ... as-offices

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 pm
The "extra finger" bugs me.
Huh? Please explain. Also, I read that there will be other portraits of them to be put in the White House. I hope those will be more traditional and closer to their beautiful official photographs with their incredibly appealing smiles.

Every day I miss them more and more. :crying:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Mikedunford wrote:
Neither artist was trying to be edgy or different, The portraits are very true to each artist’s style. The Obamas chose those artists because of those styles. The works are more conceptual than photorealistic.

I’ve seen several pieces by Sherald before. The colors are vibrant and really pop. The matte gray skin is a stark contrast. I’m sure it looks dramatic and vibrant in person. The photos really flatten out her work. But the portrait makes you work to see the subject within the trappings of success — which is the artist’s intent. (Go to the National Museum of Women in the Arts, it’s a great place.)

I’ve seen one by Wiley. Impressively large, in your face, striking colors. The Obama portrait shows a strong black man who took on a white world, put on a white man’s suit, but kept part of himself aloof.

Both are Bold but subtle. We know them, yet we don’t. We’ve put them into roles expecting them to both deny and embrace their heritages. I think the portraits depict that well.

The portrait Gallery has some funky portraits. I much prefer these to the awful Chuck Close Bill Clinton. (The Hilary Clinton is one of my favorites. She looks soft, in a powerful way.) George and Laura Bush are saccharine impressionist fluff. FDR has studies of his hands. The NPG collection can be fun.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Look at his left hand. It's distorted and it looks like he HS six fingers

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I love both the Obamas' portraits. But I'm not a fan of traditional portraiture, so I was glad they went with artists who were not traditional. However, I'm not an artist or art expert - I just know what I like.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:35 pm

more photos/closeups at this link:
Everyone Is Noticing One Very Creepy Thing About The Obama Portrait
One of them has to do with the way Obama’s left hand is painted. Some have claimed that the former President’s hand was painted with six fingers. Others are saying it is just the lighting on the President’s palm.
Here is the hand in question:
<snip a couple of photos to get to this closeup>

<snip>
http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/13/obama ... nt=2189446

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 pm

He fooled us all. this is the real portrait.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:21 pm

June bug wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:

Edit: ETA: Plus, also, too. As I said before, I really wish they'd been shown with those incredible smiles.
Yes!!! I didn't want to mention her skin tone because I didn't want to sound racist. But her natural skin tone is so beautiful - it has such depth to it, such a richness. And here she just looks grey - like she's sick or something.

WriteItDown

Post by WriteItDown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

I agree that neither portrait really looks like the person it is portraying. As far as the gray skin on Michelle, I heard an interview with the artist of that portrait and she said that that is how African Americans draw the skin tones of African American women. I guess it is to better see the definition and character of her face. My father was a semi- professional photographer and worked in black and white. He thought it better defined the detail of the mountain, rock etc. that he was photographing. (He was also a geologist).

Bloom where you're planted 🌷

Return to “President & Executive Branch”