President-Elect Donald Trump

MN-Skeptic

President-Elect Donald Trump

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The other Trump threads have been about candidate Trump. I propose that this thread be about actual actions relating to or taken by the now President-Elect Trump.

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

It’s the pandemic, stupid!
Volkonski

Re: President-Elect Donald Trump

Post by Volkonski »

Donald Trump is incurious, ignorant of history, uninformed about what is happening in the world today.

He must now learn a very great deal very quickly. He is temperamentally unsuited to doing that.

He loved the adoring crowds of the campaign but that is over now. Now comes the hard work. Long daily briefings. Decisions about policy and how to implement those policies.

He has to assemble an administration.

He isn't an establishment Republican. Clinton would have hit the ground running. Trump has to create an administration out of next to nothing. The experienced establishment Republicans he has to choose from have been out of power for 8 years. They are rusty. ;) Most of the best of them didn't support him. Few of them have any loyalty to him.

Big business has a few things they would like from Trump in the areas of regulation and taxation but they will fight him on tariffs and trade. ExxonMobil, Apple, Microsoft and such operate in a global marketplace. Most of their profits come from outside the USA. The last thing they want is Trump interfering with the free flow of goods and services.

Then there are the political problems all around the globe. Very complicated. Lots to learn.

People, institutions and issues will be coming at Trump from all sides. He will have to make decision after decision after decision.

Boy, sure glad I am not Trump. ;)

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

From that description, an actual gibbon would serve just as well.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Emma Perez-Trevino ‏@EPerezTrevino 1h
1 hour ago

Texas Official Who Called Clinton C-word Considered for Trump Cabinet
:(
:madguy:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Joaquin Castro ‏@JoaquinCastrotx 17h
17 hours ago

All legal residents eligible to apply for citizenship should do so before January 20, 2017, or risk changes that make you ineligible.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Team Trump Struggling to Fill National-Security Jobs
President-elect Donald Trump is scrambling to line up senior officials to run the government’s sprawling intelligence and homeland security bureaucracy.

Team Trump is struggling to fill numerous key slots or even attract many candidates because hundreds have either sworn they’d never work in a Trump administration or have directly turned down requests to join, multiple current and former U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the transition efforts told The Daily Beast.

Team Trump didn’t expect to win until the campaign’s internal polling a month before the election signaled a possible victory. That’s when senior Trump officials went into overdrive, trying to build a bench of experienced national security candidates with top secret clearances willing to work for a Trump presidency—and they met resistance across the landscape of experienced GOP national security professionals.

One person who met last month with Trump’s national security and homeland security transition team leader said that she confessed that many candidates had flatly rejected attempts to recruit them, believing that Trump was unfit to hold the office of commander in chief.

“She said that it was going to be very difficult to fill positions in that space because everybody that had experience was a never-Trumper,” this person said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.

“She wasn’t even sure that she was going to be able to fill a transition team,” much less find people to serve in government positions, this person said.

“In theory, 20 people are supposed to parachute into the Department of Homeland Security [during the transition between administrations]. And I don’t think they have anybody to do it.”
More from The Daily Beast at the link.

Joe Biden: "Wearing masks is not a political statement. It's a scientific imperative."

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus »

Great. Betcha he gives that asshole Kerik a highly paid security position.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

phaseolus wrote:Great. Betcha he gives that asshole Kerik a highly paid security position.
Bernie the felon?

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
phaseolus

Post by phaseolus »

Yeah, him

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

phaseolus wrote:Yeah, him
Well, why not? Rudy will vouch for him.

In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

From NY Magazine, November 6, 2012. Obama had won the electoral vote, but it looked like Romney would win the popular vote:
Long before the popular vote had been finalized — we’re talking hours and hours, if not days — the world’s most celebrated village idiot, Donald Trump, took to Twitter to call for revolution because Obama had won the election without receiving the most votes. (Not long after, Obama took the lead in the popular vote.) For this wonderfully insane tirade — some of which has since been deleted, but which we have preserved in its entirety — Trump wins Daily Intel’s Election Night Most Unhinged Conservative Award:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... goper.html

:rotflmao: :crying:

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: LDIT Supporters are "Shooketh"! -- Ali Akbar 11/29/20 #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Just cried seeing Donald with President Obama in the Oval Office. Donald has no business being there. Still too raw. :(

Avatar: LDIT's Court FAILS. Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring titular Mama June returns 3/21. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

After their meeting today:
Earnest was asked during his daily press briefing about the president’s campaign trail rhetoric, specifically his remarks that Trump is “temperamentally unfit” and “uniquely unqualified” to be president.

“Look, the president’s views haven’t changed. He stands by what he said on the campaign trail,” the press secretary replied. “He had an opportunity to make his argument. He made that argument vigorously. He made that argument in states all across the country. But the American people decided. The election is over. The president didn’t get to choose his successor, the American people did. And they have chosen President-elect Trump. And President Obama is determined to preside over a transition that gives the incoming president the opportunity to get a running start.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/o ... ump-231196

I see several in the press raising hell that Trump banned the pool from traveling with him to the WH, and was restricted/no access once he arrived.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

On the subject of transition, it will be interesting to see how the Trumpers react when many of the "establishment" GOP, bankers and lobbyists they were told to hate become senior staff and Cabinet members. Some of the names being floated are Reince Priebus as WH Chief of Staff, Steve Mnuchin for Treasury, Rick Perry for Commerce or Ag. Also some folks for EPA, which Trump was supposedly going to shut down.

Meanwhile Mitch McConnell is signaling that pretty much everything Trump promised for the first 100 days is not gonna happen, at least the stuff where a Senate vote is needed.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll put this here.

There has been a lot of talk about what Trump wants to do in his first 100 days.

The other thing to focus on is what Congress wants to do in their first 100 days. Congress was stifled by Obama. Without the threat of vetoes, I anticipate a whole host of anti-consumer, pro-business laws being passed. Net neutrality? Gone. Department of Labor fiduciary regulation? Gone. Bureau of Consumer Protection? Hobbled. Regulations on the big banks? Repealed.

bob

Post by bob »

MN-Skeptic wrote:The other thing to focus on is what Congress wants to do in their first 100 days. Congress was stifled by Obama. Without the threat of vetoes, I anticipate a whole host of anti-consumer, pro-business laws being passed. Net neutrality? Gone. Department of Labor fiduciary regulation? Gone. Bureau of Consumer Protection? Hobbled. Regulations on the big banks? Repealed.
This. I'm concerned greatly.

Once again, the main hope is the filibuster. And moderate republicans.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida »

bob wrote:
MN-Skeptic wrote:The other thing to focus on is what Congress wants to do in their first 100 days. Congress was stifled by Obama. Without the threat of vetoes, I anticipate a whole host of anti-consumer, pro-business laws being passed. Net neutrality? Gone. Department of Labor fiduciary regulation? Gone. Bureau of Consumer Protection? Hobbled. Regulations on the big banks? Repealed.

As long as the filibuster rules aren't gutted by the Majority Leader

bob

Post by bob »

Adrianinflorida wrote:As long as the filibuster rules aren't gutted by the Majority Leader
And this too (sadly). Of great concern.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Turtle wrote:On the subject of transition, it will be interesting to see how the Trumpers react when many of the "establishment" GOP, bankers and lobbyists they were told to hate become senior staff and Cabinet members. Some of the names being floated are Reince Priebus as WH Chief of Staff, Steve Mnuchin for Treasury, Rick Perry for Commerce or Ag. Also some folks for EPA, which Trump was supposedly going to shut down.

Meanwhile Mitch McConnell is signaling that pretty much everything Trump promised for the first 100 days is not gonna happen, at least the stuff where a Senate vote is needed.

Breitbart's Steve Bannon is now leading the pack for COS so the lunatics will like that a lot.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Skip Intro wrote:Breitbart's Steve Bannon is now leading the pack for COS so the lunatics will like that a lot.
Could there be any suggestion more vile? :sick:

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda
Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Adrianinflorida wrote:
bob wrote:

As long as the filibuster rules aren't gutted by the Majority Leader
Any reason why you think they won't? I think it will be one of the first things McConnell does. The GOP has the chance to undo every single piece of social change legislation since 1932 and with true believer Paul Ryan running the House I don't believe they're going to waste any time doing it.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

SLQ wrote:
Skip Intro wrote:Breitbart's Steve Bannon is now leading the pack for COS so the lunatics will like that a lot.
Could there be any suggestion more vile? :sick:
Sure. It's only day two after the election. I expect much worse in the coming weeks.

For example, Michael Flynn as Sec Defense and Sheriff David Clarke for Homeland Security. Both are on Trump's list.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Buzzfeed conjured up Trump's short list of cabinet choices ....
https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/se ... oprQrmP4JP

... Rence Preibus is the only candidate for WH Chief of Staff, which would leave a vacancy for a new Party chairman.
Some of the suggestions are almost painful: Sarah Palin for Interior, Christie for Commerce, Guiliani for Atty-Gen.

With a Republican Senate, Trump can get any of his choices confirmed. This is a mixed blessing; he won't have any excuses for the failures of his plans.

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Trump won't have any excuses? Now that's funny.

In his entire life nothing has ever been Trump's fault, not one time. I don't think that at age 70 he's going to change.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

I really think we are going to go from one of the most scandal free administrations (8 years worth) to the MOST scandal and corruption filled administration beating even Republican Warren Harding's administration (and Nixon and Bush II, and Reagan) - gee seem to be all GOP folks) by a Drumph mile.

“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Return to “President & Executive Branch”