How America Tortures - CIA as Organisation of Torturers

Hurtzi

How America Tortures - CIA as Organisation of Torturers

Post by Hurtzi »

Abstract

Americans may find it difficult to acknowledge that top officials in the West Wing of the White House and the Office of Legal Counsel of the Department of Justice orchestrated and poorly oversaw a horrific torture program that was responsible for the detention and interrogation of countless detainees. Seventeen years ago, the White House and the Department of Justice created a torture program and, through a series of legal memoranda, attempted to immunize Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) agents from criminal liability. The language was formal, legalistic, antiseptic, and euphemistic. That, combined with vague definitions of the techniques, disguised the extent of abuse the memos were approving and/or permitting. For many years, virtually no attention has been paid to the specific details of the techniques that were used in America’s name and too little investigation has gone into the specific uses that the CIA made of these techniques.

This report presents the specific details of what the torture memos permitted and most importantly, how the techniques were implemented and applied. This report is based on information from many of those who were tortured under the program, including Zayn al-Abidin Muhammad Husayn (Abu Zubaydah), as well as many CIA cables, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Report, and numerous other government documents.

The torture memos described the ten techniques that were designed and approved to torture one person, Abu Zubaydah. All ten techniques were used upon him and, while he has not been allowed to speak, some of his descriptions of those experiences were declassified. They have not been previously examined. The descriptions by Abu Zubaydah of some of the torture techniques is attached as an appendix. The text incorporates parts of his description and when it is included in the text it is always bolded.

As compelling as the verbal descriptions of the techniques are, this report publishes the first visual representation of how the torture techniques were performed. The graphic representations are the original works of the man for whom the torture was designed, Abu Zubaydah. Because they have never been published before and because of their historical importance, all eight graphics are presented in full at the beginning of this report. The same graphics are also included in the text where they most appropriately belong.

In addition, the CIA’s cables from the beginning of Abu Zubaydah’s torture have also become available and this report allows the reader to see the application of the techniques not only as defined, but as applied, and not only from the CIA’s perspective but also from the perspective of the tortured. This report integrates Abu Zubaydah’s descriptions from the earliest days of his torture with the CIA cables that described those days from the CIA’s perspective.

The report will first address persistent conditions which were employed broadly against detainees, followed by an in depth look at each approved torture technique. Finally, the report will address several techniques not specifically approved, but which played a key role in advancing the program. Overall, this report will illustrate how the following factors led to the gross abuse of the torture program: (1) the lack of clarity and purposeful ambiguity in defining what was allowed and what was not allowed during interrogations; (2) the failure by the government to account for the use of persistent techniques and unapproved techniques alongside those that were approved; and (3) the negligence and intentional disregard of the consequences of such a torture program.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3494533
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

Dan1100

Re: How America Tortures - CIA as Organisation of Torturers

Post by Dan1100 »

My biggest disappointment in Obama was that no one was prosecuted for this.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

Dan1100 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:52 pm
My biggest disappointment in Obama was that no one was prosecuted for this.
My thoughts as well. There is no real excuse for this shortcoming.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Also, my thoughts.

Rachel showed these drawings on her program last night. Really horrifying that this was done in our name and no one paid any price.

I am furious at the unwritten rule that seems to say that you can’t go after the previous administration. I think the idea is that the next one won’t go after you. Yeah, but how long will that rule last with the republicans? They are blowing everything else up.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm
Also, my thoughts.

Rachel showed these drawings on her program last night. Really horrifying that this was done in our name and no one paid any price.

I am furious at the unwritten rule that seems to say that you can’t go after the previous administration. I think the idea is that the next one won’t go after you. Yeah, but how long will that rule last with the republicans? They are blowing everything else up.
This is how criminal organizations act. If that rule exists, Trump should blow it up and I would love him for that.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

Professor at Berkeley Law.

Professor Yoo is the Emanuel Heller Professor of Law and director of the Korea Law Center, the California Constitution Center, and the Law School’s Program in Public Law and Policy. His most recent books are Striking Power: How Cyber, Robots, and Space Weapons Change the Rules for War (Encounter 2017) (with Jeremy Rabkin) and Point of Attack: Preventive War, International Law, and Global Welfare (Oxford University Press, 2014). Professor Yoo is a visiting scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a visiting fellow at the Hoover Institution.

Professor Yoo received his B.A., summa cum laude, in American history from Harvard University. Between college and law school, he worked as a newspaper reporter in Washington, D.C. He received his J.D. from Yale Law School, where he was an articles editor of the Yale Law Journal.

Professor Yoo has clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas of the U.S. Supreme Court and Judge Laurence H. Silberman of the U.S. Court of Appeals of the D.C. Circuit. He served as general counsel of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee from 1995-96. From 2001 to 2003, he served as a deputy assistant attorney general in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice, where he worked on issues involving foreign affairs, national security and the separation of powers.

He held the Fulbright Distinguished Chair in Law at the University of Trento in Italy, and he has also been a visiting professor at Keio Law School in Japan, Seoul National University in Korea, Chapman Law School, the University of Chicago, and the Free University of Amsterdam. Professor Yoo also has received the Paul M. Bator Award for excellence in legal scholarship and teaching from the Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy.

Professor Yoo has written several books: The Powers of War and Peace: The Constitution and Foreign Affairs after 9/11 (University of Chicago Press, 2005); War by Other Means: An Insider’s Account of the War on Terror (Grove/Atlantic, 2006); Crisis and Command: The History of Executive Power From George Washington to George W. Bush (Kaplan, 2010); and Taming Globalization: International Law, the U.S. Constitution, and the New World Order (Oxford, 2012). He has also co-edited Confronting Terror: 9/11 and the Future of American National Security (Encounter, 2011) (with Dean Reuter); Current Issues in Korean Law (Robbins Collection, 2014) (with Laurent Mayali); and Liberty’s Nemesis: The Unchecked Expansion of the State (Encounter, 2016) (with Dean Reuter).

EDUCATION
A.B., Harvard University (1989)
J.D., Yale University (1992)
Ki
https://www.law.berkeley.edu/our-facult ... /john-yoo/

And this from Wikipedia

Yoo has been principally associated with his work from 2001 to 2003 in the Department of Justice's Office of Legal Counsel (OLC) under Attorney General John Ashcroft during the George W. Bush Administration.[11][12][13] Yoo's expansive view of presidential power led to a close relationship with Vice President Dick Cheney's office.[12] He played an important role in developing a legal justification for the Bush administration's policy in the war on terrorism, arguing that prisoner of war status under the Geneva Conventions does not apply to "enemy combatants" captured during the war in Afghanistan and held at the Guantánamo Bay detention camp.[14]

In addition, in what was known as the Bybee memo, Yoo asserted that executive authority during wartime allows waterboarding and other forms of torture, which were euphemistically referred to as "enhanced interrogation techniques".[15] Yoo argued in his legal opinion that the president was not bound by the War Crimes Act. In addition, he provided a legal opinion backing the Bush Administration's warrantless wiretapping program.[12][13][16][17]

Yoo's legal opinions were not shared by everyone within the Bush Administration. Secretary of State Colin Powell strongly opposed what he saw as an invalidation of the Geneva Conventions,[17] while U.S. Navy general counsel Alberto Mora campaigned internally against what he saw as the "catastrophically poor legal reasoning" and dangerous extremism of Yoo's opinions.[18]

In December 2003, Yoo's memo on permissible interrogation techniques, also known as the Bybee memo, was repudiated as legally unsound by the OLC, then under the direction of Jack Goldsmith.[18] In June 2004, another of Yoo's memos on interrogation techniques was leaked to the press, after which it was repudiated by Goldsmith and the OLC.[19]

Yoo's contribution to these memos has remained a source of controversy following his departure from the Justice Department;[20] he was called to testify before the House Judiciary Committee in 2008 in defense of his role.[21] The Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) began investigating Yoo's work in 2004 and in July 2009 completed a report that was sharply critical of his legal justification for waterboarding and other interrogation techniques.[22][23][24][25] The OPR report cites testimony Yoo gave to Justice Department investigators in which he claims that the "president's war-making authority was so broad that he had the constitutional power to order a village to be 'massacred.'"[26] The OPR report concluded that Yoo had "committed 'intentional professional misconduct' when he advised the CIA it could proceed with waterboarding and other aggressive interrogation techniques against Al Qaeda suspects," although the recommendation that he be referred to his state bar association for possible disciplinary proceedings was overruled by David Margolis, another senior Justice department lawyer.[26]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Yoo

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Hurtzi wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:18 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:32 pm
Also, my thoughts.

This is how criminal organizations act. If that rule exists, Trump should blow it up and I would love him for that.
Trump threatened to blow up that rule during the debates when he threatened to investigate Hillary for imaginary crimes.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”