Re: Who wrote the New York Times Op-Ed? 9/5/18

Post by RVInit » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 am

neeneko wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:22 am
Dandelion wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:56 am
I voted for Another Cabinet Official.
My suspicions go with Steven Miller.
It could also be that a bunch of people wrote a few paragraphs each. That way everyone can deny writing the op-ed.
Isn't Steven Miller the one a lot of the worst ideas are coming out of? I've assumed, for instance, he was the source of that RoK letter that was swiped from Trump's desk.
Yes, IMO. Miller is feeding Trump the worst of the ideas and more than likely stimulating the worst of Trump's impulses. No way would he write that letter. He likely creams himself whenever Trump walks into the room. Two turds in a pod, those two.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:05 am

RVInit wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 am
Yes, IMO. Miller is feeding Trump the worst of the ideas and more than likely stimulating the worst of Trump's impulses. No way would he write that letter. He likely creams himself whenever Trump walks into the room. Two turds in a pod, those two.
Unless he has seen House of Cards one too many times and is hoping to distance Trump from Miller's enemies.

tek

Post by tek » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am

Off Topic
467.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A truckload of bricks
In the soft morning light

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:43 am
Lone Star. For you Mel Brooks fans.
“Barfolomew!” 8-)
:bighug:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:48 am

GOP senator: ‘Who wouldn’t’ write anonymous op-ed against White House?

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said he was unsurprised by an op-ed slamming President Trump published in The New York Times by an anonymous senior Trump staffer.

“I didn’t look at it as new news. I mean, anyone who’s had any dealings over there knows that this is the reality that we’re living in. So I think a lot's been made out of nothing,” he said.

Corker, a frequent critic of the Trump administration, added: “I think the biggest issue they’re going to have is figuring out who wouldn’t have written a letter like that."
A number of Trump officials have issued denials of writing the op-ed, and the White House is reportedly even considering using lie detector tests in an internal hunt for the author.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4055 ... hite-house

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Dolly wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:48 am
GOP senator: ‘Who wouldn’t’ write anonymous op-ed against White House?

Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said he was unsurprised by an op-ed slamming President Trump published in The New York Times by an anonymous senior Trump staffer.

“I didn’t look at it as new news. I mean, anyone who’s had any dealings over there knows that this is the reality that we’re living in. So I think a lot's been made out of nothing,” he said.

Corker, a frequent critic of the Trump administration, added: “I think the biggest issue they’re going to have is figuring out who wouldn’t have written a letter like that."
A number of Trump officials have issued denials of writing the op-ed, and the White House is reportedly even considering using lie detector tests in an internal hunt for the author.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4055 ... hite-house
Trump! And Miller. And Sarah Huckleberry. Anyone else?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

JEFF!!! The NYT hurt my feelings, INVESTIGATE!!!!!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

JEFF!!! The NYT hurt my feelings, INVESTIGATE!!!!!
INVESTIGATE??? "Before or after you fired me?" :cantlook:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:31 pm

SMH at the way that man can dump :shit: all over people he's mad at, until he wants something again.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Statement from ⁦@nytimes⁩:

much ado

Post by much ado » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:20 pm

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Hercule Parrot

Post by Hercule Parrot » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:38 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:17 pm
Put another way: if you heard that a third-world government is ignoring its elected leader and carrying out its own agenda, is something good about to happen to that country?
It seems a little harsh to refer to the USA in such terms, but if anyone is obstructing the ShitGibbon's agenda then that's great. Something less bad is going to happen to America if they can just keep his tiny hands off the nuclear football for a little while longer. And if insiders are sabotaging the ambitions of Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin, Teresa May, Bashar al-Assad or Benjamin Netanyahu, that's also great by me.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Vice: HERE’S WHO BOOKIES THINK WROTE THE ANONYMOUS NEW YORK TIMES OP-ED:
Offshore bookies are taking bets on the identity of the “senior official” who penned the New York Times opinion piece that revealed some Trump staffers are working to actively undermine the president and thwart his “misguided impulses.”

And the name on everyone’s lips is Vice President Mike Pence.

Costa Rica-based MyBookie lists Pence as the No. 1 choice, citing the use of the word “lodestar” in the opinion piece, published Wednesday. A Twitter user initially pointed out that Pence has previously used the word, which is defined as a star used to guide the course of a ship, several times during speeches in recent years.

A separate bookie site, Canada’s Bovada, however, lists Attorney General Jeff Sessions as the top betting pick for the op-ed’s author. Pence still comes in at No. 2. After Sessions and Pence comes Kelly, Mattis, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Nikki Haley, “Javanka,” Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, White House counsel Don McGahn, Melania Trump, and Kellyanne Conway, whose own husband has been harshly critical of Donald Trump on Twitter.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Vanity Fair - Gabe Sherman
“He’s Destroying Your Presidency”: In the Op-Ed Aftermath, Javanka Quickly Blamed John Kelly and His Deputy—And a New Suspect Emerges ...

With Trump so far unable to execute a strategy to stanch the drip-drip-drip of damaging disclosures, Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump have taken the lead in getting control of the crisis. (The Washington Post reported that Trump said the only people he could trust were his family.) Earlier this week, they told Trump they were deeply troubled by the accounts in Woodward’s book and blamed Chief of Staff John Kelly for many of the leaks, an outside adviser close to them told me. “‘He’s destroying your presidency,’” Ivanka told her father, the outside adviser, who was briefed on the conversation, said. Their hunt for the author of the Times op-ed may bring them into the final chapter of their long-running feud with Kelly.

According to three sources, Jared and Ivanka floated a theory on Wednesday that Kelly could be behind the Times op-ed. Under this scenario, the sources said, the op-ed was written by Zachary Fuentes, the deputy chief of staff, at the direction of Kelly. Jared and Ivanka have told people they suspect this because Kelly is the only one with an ego so large as to have convinced himself that he’s saving the country from Trump, which was one of the op-ed’s principal arguments. On Wednesday night, Ivanka and Jared laid out for Trump the theory that Fuentes might be the author, an outside adviser with knowledge of the conversation told me. (A White House spokesperson said this is “untrue.”)

Trump disagreed with their theory, an outside adviser said. He told one ally that the op-ed was possibly written by someone who wants to derail Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing by weakening the president this week, according to a person familiar with the conversation. Ivanka has been frustrated that her father won’t take action against Kelly, an outside adviser said. She’s told people that Trump still sees Kelly as a “John Wayne figure,” and that Trump is worried that if Kelly is fired, he’ll become even more dangerous as an outside critic.

But for Javanka and others, Kelly and Fuentes are far from the only suspects, and West Wing advisers continue to hunt for the author. The Times reported yesterday that the White House has a list of around 12 potential suspects. According to one person familiar with the list, one person being scrutinized is Ambassador to Russia Jon Huntsman. One former West Wing official said that Huntsman had three strikes against him: he served in the Barack Obama administration, he was very close with John McCain, and he has political ambitions of his own. (A White House spokesperson said there is no 12-person list.)

¡Sterngard! come home.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 pm

I wonder what the author expected to happen after the op ed came out. He surely knows twitler well enough to have expected it to unhinge him further. What did he think the reaction would be? Is this CYA, his/hers or the republican party, or does he/she expect that something even remotely positive could come from this? I don't see how.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Lots of people are now thinking it's Jon Huntsman. Here's a compelling article explaining why: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... trump.html

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Kendra wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Statement from ⁦@nytimes⁩:
I well remember that letter that Kasowitz sent to the NYTimes when trump was threatening to sue them. The reply from the NYTimes was glorious, a precious pearl of prose. And it was so obvious that the attorney from the NYTimes took the greatest pleasure in writing it--when he/she had a moment between bouts of hysterical laughter and found time to put a few words on paper, that is. No doubt the same applies to this latest threat. :lol:

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:55 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 pm
I wonder what the author expected to happen after the op ed came out. He surely knows twitler well enough to have expected it to unhinge him further. What did he think the reaction would be? Is this CYA, his/hers or the republican party, or does he/she expect that something even remotely positive could come from this? I don't see how.
Starting from my theory that it is someone on the economics side whose main goal was to stop the tariffs and now realizes that they've totally failed, I think it is a desperate act of sabotage to weaken Trump any way he or she could to limit Individual -1's power to get rid of NAFTA, withdraw from the WTO etc.

That's my theory anyway.

“I don’t look to the teachings of Jesus for what my political beliefs should be.”

-Jerry Falwell, Jr.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Huntsman would count as Another Cabinet Member or Top Official, checks a lot of boxes. But really what has he done to help Russia policy as our Ambassador? He thinks things could be worse? Why didn't he quit when Donald did a secret two hour meeting with Vladimir? Not impressed with Jon either way.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:01 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 pm
Lots of people are now thinking it's Jon Huntsman. Here's a compelling article explaining why: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... trump.html
Huntsman certainly makes more sense than that idiot Kellyanne Conway.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Even if the person behind the op-ed is revealed, that's only the beginning. By his own admission, he's one of many. The next question will be Who else is part of this subversive group?

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:09 am

NMgirl wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:53 pm
[ :snippity:
I well remember that letter that Kasowitz sent to the NYTimes when trump was threatening to sue them. The reply from the NYTimes was glorious, a precious pearl of prose. And it was so obvious that the attorney from the NYTimes took the greatest pleasure in writing it--when he/she had a moment between bouts of hysterical laughter and found time to put a few words on paper, that is. No doubt the same applies to this latest threat. :lol:
I didn't remember that letter so I looked it up. Here's the link if anybody is interested: The New York Times’s Lawyer Responds to Donald Trump

The short letter certainly is a masterful FOAD response which makes clear in plain language to any reader (legally trained or not) that Trump's gang would have less than zero chance of prevailing in any misguided attempt at a court case against the NY Times.

As they point out, it's difficult to demonstrate reputational damage when Trump himself boasted of that sort of behavior!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:19 am

Yes,Steven Miller is that one. He may be the scariest guy in the WH. Not a funny person.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:53 am

AndyinPA wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:44 pm
I think this was the intended result.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”