Replacing Trump/Pence.

Chilidog

Replacing Trump/Pence.

Post by Chilidog » Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 am

Idle speculation at the breakfast table here.

Let's start with the following assumptions

1) The Democrats take the house and a narrow lead in the Senate in November.

2) Significant financial issues in regards to the Trump/Pence campaign fund is uncovered. Enough to convict both men of fraud and corruption.

With the Democrats having enough votes to impeach, but not enough to convict and the Republicans facing lasting damage to their party, will they strike a bargain?

What if the Democrats and the Republicans agree to force Trump and Pence to resign in exchange for the Democrats allowing them to keep the office by installing two moderates ala Ford and Rockefeller? The replacements would then serve out the remainder of the term.

Ignoring the overall plausibility of this scenario, who would be a replacement for Trump that would be acceptable to the Democrats?

Addie

Re: Replacing Trump/Pence.

Post by Addie » Tue May 01, 2018 8:29 am

I could see somebody like Kasich of Ohio for the purpose, but he's probably going to run in 2020. For a temporary team, it wouldn't do to have potential 2020 candidates benefiting. But the general idea has merit, I think. Two sensible people to sort out some of the Trump mess or at least not make it worse.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Tue May 01, 2018 8:31 am

"Ye canna go around changin the laws of physics, man..."
Rules of Secession apply. Just like Nixon....

The Mercury Project

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 01, 2018 8:38 am

:shock: Hope you meant “succession.” ;)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 am

Chilidog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 am
:snippity:

What if the Democrats and the Republicans agree to force Trump and Pence to resign in exchange for the Democrats allowing them to keep the office by installing two moderates ala Ford and Rockefeller? The replacements would then serve out the remainder of the term.

Ignoring the overall plausibility of this scenario, who would be a replacement for Trump that would be acceptable to the Democrats?
Question from an outsider: I thought the rules of succession were already in place for when the POTUS steps down? Did I miss something? IFF I am correct that would mean that dotus / vp / Congress would have to formally make the choice of (interim) officeholders in line of succession prior to resignation / removal of dotus / vp for the correct guy to follow up. Somewhat a convoluted practice.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:23 am
Chilidog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:16 am
:snippity:

Question from an outsider: I thought the rules of succession were already in place for when the POTUS steps down? Did I miss something? IFF I am correct that would mean that dotus / vp / Congress would have to formally make the choice of (interim) officeholders in line of succession prior to resignation / removal of dotus / vp for the correct guy to follow up. Somewhat a convoluted practice.
You are correct.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 am

Yes: the president would have to resign, Pence would appoint his VP (and the Congress would have to confirm), Pence would have to resign, and the new president would appoint a new vice president (and the Congress would have to confirm).

"House of Cards" had more straightforward plot lines.
Edit: Mike is correct!

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue May 01, 2018 11:05 am

I believe both House and Senate get a vote on a new VP.
Edit: ETA: They do. Simple majority of both Houses. Amend. 25, S.2.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”