2018 White House Correspondents' Dinner

Suranis

Re: 2018 White House Correspondents' Dinner

Post by Suranis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:43 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 pm
Did the dinner party get the higher viewer numbers than his offsite rally?
Of course it did. If his rally had gotten bigger number he would have twitted about it less AND he would have crowed about the massive numbers his Rally got.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 pm

On Twiiter today, I have seen at least four journalists reporting that the Whitehouse is "lying" about the Iran Nuclear report. Yes, they each used the word "lying". Methinks Michelle Wolf kicked some asses into gear.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 pm

1DED64D7-0715-442B-ABFB-7C222D337512.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 am

Two years ago, almost to the day, candidate Trump "joked" about having someone shoot Hillary Clinton with a gun.
Later he made fun of a reporter's physical disability.
That's what they consider humor in good taste.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am

Slightly off-topic: does Trump have a discernable sense of humor? I can visualize him laughing at others' misfortunes, but that's not humor, it's cruelty. He can pick an occasional insult, but that's mockery or something similar, not humor.

I can't imagine him telling a joke (other than reading one off a script) or understanding any sort of word play or exploration of the absurd.

We discussed briefly a year or two ago "doing the dozens"** -- Trump would have been humiliated in a context where display of one's verbal fluidity, flexibility and fun were a measure of status, rather than one's ability to bully and lie.

** I think it's ironic that many tongue-tied white racists seem to regard black people's language skills as inferior, showing absolutely no realization of the importance that clever or effective use of language plays in many African and post-African cultures, including African-American and Afro-Caribbean. Trump drops into that category.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am
Slightly off-topic: does Trump have a discernable sense of humor? I can visualize him laughing at others' misfortunes, but that's not humor, it's cruelty. He can pick an occasional insult, but that's mockery or something similar, not humor.

I can't imagine him telling a joke (other than reading one off a script) or understanding any sort of word play or exploration of the absurd.

We discussed briefly a year or two ago "doing the dozens"** -- Trump would have been humiliated in a context where display of one's verbal fluidity, flexibility and fun were a measure of status, rather than one's ability to bully and lie.

** I think it's ironic that many tongue-tied white racists seem to regard black people's language skills as inferior, showing absolutely no realization of the importance that clever or effective use of language plays in many African and post-African cultures, including African-American and Afro-Caribbean. Trump drops into that category.
This could be the model for the 2020 debates

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks for that!

Imagine if there was some sort of political version of the dozens in the presidential election debates: "your tax returns are so dishonest that the IRS bought asbestos gloves", "your immigration policy is so stupid that Canada offered to pay for a wall on the Alaska border", "your defense policy weakens the Navy so much that Grenada could invade the U.S.", "you're so much Putin's puppet that your suits have strings", "you let the Russians have so much influence that the the road signs in Washington now point to белый дом". (Sorry, I'm not so good at his; if anybody can do better -- which I'm sure you guys can -- please lob them in ... until a greeny whines about off-topicality!).

Hillary Clinton is bright enough to learn to do it, Barack Obama could have been an ace, Bill Clinton would have done well. Trump and many (most?) of the Republicans couldn't. The Bushes? No. Reagan? No. Ford? Ha ha!

Would it achieve anything? Yes, I think it would be an interesting measure of the brainpower of the candidates. The same old same old debates could continue in parallel for the wonks. As we have seen, they don't work well with a liar like Trump and supine media.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 am
Thanks for that!

Imagine if there was some sort of political version of the dozens in the presidential election debates: "your tax returns are so dishonest that the IRS bought asbestos gloves", "your immigration policy is so stupid that Canada offered to pay for a wall on the Alaska border", "your defense policy weakens the Navy so much that Grenada could invade the U.S.", "you're so much Putin's puppet that your suits have strings", "you let the Russians have so much influence that the the road signs in Washington now point to белый дом". (Sorry, I'm not so good at his; if anybody can do better -- which I'm sure you guys can -- please lob them in ... until a greeny whines about off-topicality!).

Hillary Clinton is bright enough to learn to do it, Barack Obama could have been an ace, Bill Clinton would have done well. Trump and many (most?) of the Republicans couldn't. The Bushes? No. Reagan? No. Ford? Ha ha!

Would it achieve anything? Yes, I think it would be an interesting measure of the brainpower of the candidates. The same old same old debates could continue in parallel for the wonks. As we have seen, they don't work well with a liar like Trump and supine media.
I'd watch it. I don't usually watch the debates, I get the highlights from Twitter and Fogbow.

You're so close to Putin, you have borscht stains on your tie. At least I hope they're borscht stains.

Too much?

ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 01, 2018 9:50 am

Turtle wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 am
Sam the Centipede wrote:

This could be the model for the 2020 debates

I miss in Living Color.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 01, 2018 9:58 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am
Sam the Centipede wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 am

I'd watch it. I don't usually watch the debates, I get the highlights from Twitter and Fogbow.

You're so close to Putin, you have borscht stains on your tie. At least I hope they're borscht stains.

Too much?
:thumbs:
Perfect throwdown!!!

You're so close to Putin, you can wear only one tie color.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 01, 2018 11:58 am

You're so dishonest, when you walk past lie detector machines they hop away screaming.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm

I somewhat disagree that the Bushes would not be good at this game. I think George W Bush would probably have done pretty well if not very well. For all his shortcomings I always did admire his sense of humor, it's actually pretty sharp.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Tue May 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Slightly off-topic: does Trump have a discernable sense of humor?
He laughed off his "covfefe" blunder with a self-deprecating follow-up:

Which of course Sean Spicer immediately undermined, sternly saying "people knew what he meant." That tells me that the sense-of-humor problem is with Spicer and the GOP, not Trump. Really, how paranoid does someone have to be to think a butt tweet needed to spun? After the tweeter had already addressed it? And with such a ridiculous lie?

Furthermore, the Donald has been on reality shows, WWF, SNL, and other TV. Almost always playing an exaggerated version of himself, with the jokes often at his expense. You can't do that without at least a functional sense of humor.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:03 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm
I somewhat disagree that the Bushes would not be good at this game. I think George W Bush would probably have done pretty well if not very well. For all his shortcomings I always did admire his sense of humor, it's actually pretty sharp.
allegedly remarking at Trump's inauguration—in between famously wrestling with his rain poncho—that “that was some weird shit,”
(https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10 ... nald-trump)

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm

¡Sterngard! come home.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:58 pm

He laughed off his "covfefe" blunder with a self-deprecating follow-up:
Trump is not the only one that has access to that account. I'd regard Spicer's tight assed response as more indicative as it's what he was told to say by the boss.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Suranis wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Trump is not the only one that has access to that account. I'd regard Spicer's tight assed response as more indicative as it's what he was told to say by the boss.
:yeah: :

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue May 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes, George W. Bush was reasonably sharp in his own way. He has the humor, although he was not an artist with language. But he could learn.

I'm not convinced that Trump being self-deprecating on his reality shows (which I have never watched) demonstrates much. There is a world of difference between being genuinely self-deprecating and play-acting that part with soft scripted quips in a fawning environment.

Actually, I think self-deprecation is over-rated. Modesty, fine, that's a wholesome virtue, but self-deprecation is too often hypocritical.

vic

Post by vic » Tue May 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Jessica Valenti
‏Verified account
@JessicaValenti

If conservatives really thought Michelle Wolf insulted women and mocked their appearance, they would have elected her president

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:34 pm

Michelle Wolf is today's guest on Fresh Air. I didn't hear much of it, but what I did hear explained who she is and why she did that bit.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed May 02, 2018 10:03 am

Let's see. Michelle Wolf, whose forte is political comedy, and who has appeared on some of the most widely viewed political comedy shows, and whose televised and videotaped riffs on politicians are on the internet for everyone to see, was retained by the White House Correspondents to do what she does best at their annual dinner. And somehow these journalists -- whose job it is to do research -- were completely taken by surprise by her and were shocked, ... Shocked I tell you! They practically ran from the room clutching their pearls.

And how dare she make fun of Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who had been openly abusing them everyday for the past year!

And how dare she make fun of Donald Trump, who had insulted them two years in a row!!

This dinner was supposed to show solidarity for a free press and freedom of communication - how dare Michelle Wolf communicate so freely!

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 am

IMG_0299.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed May 02, 2018 10:17 am

It was easy to joke about most previous administrations without seeming to be beating them into the ground. Most previous administrations were fairly competent. Maybe we didn't necessarily agree with them politically, but most at least had fairly competent people who ran the government without utterly and completely demolishing every single aspect of that government. Yes, some did more harm than others, but none of them wanted to utterly and completely demolish our very form of government. You could laugh at their faux pas because those faux pas happened in between sometimes weeks of nothing big and disastrous. This maladministration has been nothing but incompetent, nothing but disastrous and Sarah Huckster tells nothing but lies. We could laugh at the Obama administration's occasional snafus precisely because they were occasional, in between very long stretches of running the executive branch with dignity, competence, and heart. You can't lampoon an administration that is itself a lampoon 24/7/365. There is no "in between". It cuts deep because we aren't poking fun at someone for their occasional slips, it's the essence of who they are. Michelle Wolf was talking about their very essence, not about their slip-ups. This is why they can't have a sense of humor about it - they would not be laughing at their faux pas, they would be laughing about the very essence of who they are.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Suranis wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm
Trump is not the only one that has access to that [Twitter] account.
Ummm... that seems like a really big problem, considering that news outlets routinely cite Trump's official Twitter as indicative of his feelings about things. If these tweets are being made by an unknown person who mat be going off-book, that opens a rather large can of worms.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed May 02, 2018 8:36 pm

A cousin of mine has a part-time job as a pantomime clown for children's parties. Maybe I should recommend her for next year's WHCD.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”