Post by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:59 pm

The full 4+ hours

RTH10260

Re: 2018 White House Correspondents' Dinner

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:01 pm

bob

Post by bob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:18 pm

I watched Wolf's bit. She was ... fine. Raunchy, "edgy," but there have been funnier at the WHCD.

The jabs at Sanders were about a minute in total. The only possible allusions to Sanders' appearance were the jokes about the eye make-up and comparing her to a character on "The Handmaiden's Tale."

And Sanders violated the first rule of the WHCD: to win, you must laugh louder and harder than everyone else's at the jokes about you. Instead, she was rather stone faced; an understandable reaction, but not the "correct" one for those circumstances. (Conway was also the butt of some jokes, and, she, also did not play the game.)

Sanders sat at the table on the stage; she and Wolf were feet apart.

I assume Sanders' attendance was the president's idea; I wonder how she'll "thank" him.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Yep their presence was to show contempt, that the Whitehouse is not afraid of the WHCD.

And the result is a nightmare for BLOTUS. He said some vaguely horrible shit about hispanic and other shit in order to swamp the WHCD. Instead, what everyone us talking about is "HOW DARE Wolf SAY MEAN THINGS ABOUT THE PRESS!!!"

Now the head of the Teapot Dinmaker is filled with echos of "HOW DARE THAT BITCH STEAL ALL MY PRESS!!!!"

Its his daily nightmare, to be not talked about.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Comments about lies and eyeliner, while Trump threatens a sitting senator, and people are losing their freakin` minds.

On the other hand, I'd never heard of Wolf before this morning, now I follow her on Twitter. No such thing as bad publicity, eh?

ImageImageImage x4

bob

Post by bob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:35 pm

Suranis wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:22 pm
Yep their presence was to show contempt, that the Whitehouse is not afraid of the WHCD.
A message that backfired, as the president was too a-scared to attend -- as Wolf noted.
Its his daily nightmare, to be not talked about.
Yeah; the big plan to run some counterprogramming failed, notwithstanding the president's (again) saying disturbing, THIS IS NOT NORMAL agitprop.

bob

Post by bob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:46 pm

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree with the others. Wolf was not talking about Sander's appearance in the way I've heard people claim. She mainly called her out on the lies. She called out the press as well, and very appropriately. She rightfully slammed them for creating this monster and then profiting from it. Every single previous president has not only attended, but laughed at the jokes that were poked at them. I can see why this administration can't laugh at the jokes about them, and that is because it's not possible to joke about them in the same way that you can joke about others. They are so completely corrupt and cannot utter a truth about anything. The jokes cut deep because this administration is so deeply outside of OK. They are not flawed, this White House is unscrupulous to the bone, and I'm probably being generous using that word.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm

I don't see this as a victory over Trump, who spewed anger and hatred at his rally. Instead, even the so called liberal msm is attacking Wolf instead of reporting on Trump's agitating the crowd to hate the press, boo Hispanics and believe that the Democrats conspired with Russia.

I watched in live time as the WHCD ended - and no, there wasn't a walk out in protest. The main person promoting that idea is the head of CPAC who claimed the elite were abusive to conservatives, but found time to linger at the dinner and chat with other attendees. Almost immediately as the dinner ended, both MSNBC and CNN talking heads were ranting at the horribleness of Wolf. Yeah, cuz she's a serial abuser, racist, war monger and kleptocrat. :roll: :brickwallsmall:

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

bob

Post by bob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Politico: Journalists distance themselves from Correspondents’ Dinner after Wolf routine:
The comedian’s scorching routine generates some discomfort.

In 2017, President Donald Trump became the first president since Ronald Reagan in 1981 to skip the gathering (although Reagan, who was recovering from an assassination attempt, still called in) and not a single Trump White House aide attended. This year, though, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders sat at the head table, and counselor Kellyanne Conway told reporters beforehand that Trump had encouraged his staff to attend.

"He encourages us to have fun," Conway told CNN before the festivities began.

White House director of strategic communications Mercedes Schlapp and her husband, conservative activist Matt Schlapp, walked out early. “Enough of elites mocking all of us,” he tweeted. (Still, the Schlapps later attended NBC and MSNBC’s after-party.)

Former chief of staff Reince Priebus characterized the event afterward on Twitter as “another victory for @realDonaldTrump for not attending and proving his point once again.”

“How self-regarding do you have to be to invite a comedian & then get upset that she makes jokes about the rich, famous, powerful people in the room?” tweeted The Intercept’s Glenn Greenwald. “And how irrational do you have to be to think a comedian at a DC event is supposed to be reverent & sober in *the Trump era*?”

"I don’t think you fully appreciate the resentment towards media for normalizing the WH’s behavior," long time Hillary Clinton aide Philippe Reines wrote on Twitter, in reply to CNN's Jeff Zeleny and Baker. "There’a [sic] no greater example than Sanders mocking you daily for the whole country to watch."

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:03 pm

Did she say that Sanders was "bleeding from her wherever"? No, wait, that was Trump talking about Megyn Kelly. Did she say Sanders was "bleeding badly from a facelift"? No, wait, that was Trump again, talking about Mika Brzezinsky (who never had a facelift).

Fuck Trump, fuck Sarah Sanders, and I'm gonna follow Michelle Wolf on Twitter too also.

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:28 pm

And now, 99% of the country yawns and switches the channel (or site) after going "who the hell is Wolf?"

The now hate-fest dinner used to be something to look forward to but humor has devolved into politically-correct vitriol that only amplifies the intensity of the media's blood lust against anything conservative.

For most of America, the 'don't care light' has been on and will stay on. :bored:

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:59 pm

This year's event was four hours in length. The comic was on for somewhere between 15-19 minutes out of those four hours. It is customary for the comic to poke fun at the White House and current administration, whoever that may be. And, in the past every one of them has laughed right along with everyone else. This year the majority of the program was about unity. All anyone wants to talk about is the 15 minutes that Wolf was on. I watched her entire piece and she was pretty dead on about it all. And if you ask me, she held back quite a bit. This administration is a sickening joke on America and Wolf could have been far more searing.

I especially loved her pointing out the hypocrisy of conservatives who are anti-abortion until and unless their secret lover who is not their spouse gets pregnant, then they fork out the money to pay for the abortion. Dead on.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:28 pm
:snippity:
For most of America, the 'don't care light' has been on and will stay on. :bored:
We're so lucky to have you here to speak for the American people. :bored:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

bob

Post by bob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Newsweek: SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS OWED APOLOGY AFTER WHCA DINNER, SCARAMUCCI AND OTHERS DEMAND:
Former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci said on CNN that Sanders is owed an apology by the WHCA president Margaret Talev.

“I have an enormous amount of respect for Margaret [Talev] and what she does at the White House Correspondents' Association,” said Scaramucci on CNN’s Reliable Sources. “But it would have been very nice if [Sanders was] given an apology, given what happened.”

Scaramucci called the jokes an “atrocity.”
Maybe Scaramucci wasn't the best choice for Designated Pearl Clutcher?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:03 pm
Did she say that Sanders was "bleeding from her wherever"? No, wait, that was Trump talking about Megyn Kelly. Did she say Sanders was "bleeding badly from a facelift"? No, wait, that was Trump again, talking about Mika Brzezinsky (who never had a facelift).

Fuck Trump, fuck Sarah Sanders, and I'm gonna follow Michelle Wolf on Twitter too also.
:like: :stamp: :thumbs:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

MojoSapien

Post by MojoSapien » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 pm

Pie Jesu domine...dona ei requiem

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:33 pm

White House Correspondents' Association: Michelle Wolf's routine 'not in the spirit' of our mission

White House Correspondents’ Association (WHCA) President Margaret Talev on Sunday lamented that comedian Michelle Wolf’s routine during the organization’s annual dinner on Saturday was “not in the spirit” of the organization's mission.

Talev said in a statement late Sunday that she has heard from members of the association that Wolf’s performance did not reflect well on the WHCA's efforts to celebrate journalism and the First Amendment.

“Last night’s program was meant to offer a unifying message about our common commitment to a vigorous and free press while honoring civility, great reporting and scholarship winners, not to divide people,” Talev said.

“Unfortunately, the entertainer’s monologue was not in the spirit of that mission." <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/38544 ... not-in-the

tweet in the article
WHCA

@whca
#WHCA Statement to Members on Annual Dinner

7:03 PM - Apr 29, 2018

Edit: editing because my comment posts while I am going back and forth to copy/paste - I don't hit submit :madguy:

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 pm

I really think they need to take another listen to Hasan Minaj's monologue from last year and then complain about Michelle Wolf. Minaj said the President of the US is Vladimir Putin. His entire monologue was an absolute attack on the White House - and I loved it. But the point is that his was far more biting than Wolf's, she didn't come close to the searing heat Hassan dished out. She is being attacked for one reason only - she's not a man.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:29 am

Yeah, if she was he, it's locker room talk.

Here's a different take on Wolf.
(CNN) Despite what Donald Trump and some others on the right may think, the big winner from Saturday's White House Correspondents' Dinner was comedian Michelle Wolf. Her performance was not just funny -- it's still grabbing headlines and will make this comedian, who is on the verge of stardom, even better known.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/29/opin ... index.html

Her tv show debuts next month.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 am

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
For most of America, the 'don't care light' has been on and will stay on.
You know who does care? This guy:

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:50 am

If Trump ever shows back up to one of these things, he will use the 20 minutes for a campaign speech against Hillary like he did at the Al Smith dinner.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:33 am

Huckabee family values.

Jeremy
@DSky3
Mike Huckabee, a 24 hour play in two parts: #WHCD #Michelle #Wolf
10:52 AM - Apr 29, 2018 · Portland, ME
Db9VzfUXkAAGX3m.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:43 am

Difficult to believe this is the #1 story on Politico and CNN this morning. Slow news cycle, eh what? :bored:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:27 am

bob wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:30 am
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
For most of America, the 'don't care light' has been on and will stay on.
You know who does care? This guy:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 1667488768
Ha haaaa. He is still fuming about Seth Myers. That was the same night as he got roasted by Obama.

And yeah he is laser focused on this shit.
RVInit wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 pm
She is being attacked for one reason only - she's not a man.
Nope, she is being attacked because she hurt the fee fees of the press, and called them out for being responsible for, profiting off, and loving Trump. AND it gave them an excuse to talk about someone else other than fatface for once.

Not everything is involved with the Y chromosome.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

Return to “President & Executive Branch”