Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 6757
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#201

Post by Estiveo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm

My understanding is that Amy Sherald only paints portraits of black subjects and always renders the skin in gray tones.


"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 11070
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Here
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#202

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm
My understanding is that Amy Sherald only paints portraits of black subjects and always renders the skin in gray tones.

That’s correct. It’s her trademark. Here’s one:
76487114-C4FA-4782-9EA5-DDEC29F69C4B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 5227
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#203

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 am

stoppingby wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 pm
I love both the Obamas' portraits. But I'm not a fan of traditional portraiture, so I was glad they went with artists who were not traditional. However, I'm not an artist or art expert - I just know what I like.
:yeah:


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
June bug
Posts: 5925
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#204

Post by June bug » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 am

Whatever4 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:38 pm
My understanding is that Amy Sherald only paints portraits of black subjects and always renders the skin in gray tones.

That’s correct. It’s her trademark. Here’s one:

76487114-C4FA-4782-9EA5-DDEC29F69C4B.jpeg
But here the proportions are correct (h/t to Sugar for alerting me to that problem in Michelle's portrait), and there's a stronger contrast between the skin tone and the background. IMO that makes for a more compelling image of the woman.



User avatar
Addie
Posts: 23069
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#205

Post by Addie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am

LA Times: How the Obama portraits cheerfully buck the trend of instantly forgettable presidential paintings


¡Qué vergüenza!

User avatar
HilltownGrrl
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#206

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 am

I really like both portraits - with two caveats. I wish Obama looked less grim - he has such a mobile face that really shows his emotions & grim wasn't the default. And I wish Michelle's face & hair looked more like her.

If they were just portraits of people I hadn't spent 8 years with, I'd love them unreservedly as really fun, funky art, but because I got to "know" the Obama's, I have those couple of quibbles.



User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 5227
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#207

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20 am
I really like both portraits - with two caveats. I wish Obama looked less grim - he has such a mobile face that really shows his emotions & grim wasn't the default. And I wish Michelle's face & hair looked more like her.

If they were just portraits of people I hadn't spent 8 years with, I'd love them unreservedly as really fun, funky art, but because I got to "know" the Obama's, I have those couple of quibbles.
:like:


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 5227
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#208

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am

Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am
LA Times: How the Obama portraits cheerfully buck the trend of instantly forgettable presidential paintings
Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 4447
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#209

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am
LA Times: How the Obama portraits cheerfully buck the trend of instantly forgettable presidential paintings
Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.
I like them too.


"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 5227
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#210

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am
Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.
I like them too.
Regal, yet down to earth - I agree with that assessment - Michelle Obama exudes that very rare combination, and I think this portrait captures that quality beautifully.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
HilltownGrrl
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#211

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:59 am
Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.
I like them too.
Well, there's at least three of us who do!

I saw an interesting tweet the day before yesterday from a WOC wanting to see some reviews of the paintings by POC as everything she'd seen was from white writers. She wondered if the reactions would be the same (reading between the lines, it sounded as though she didn't think they would be). I'll have to try to remember to track that tweet down, if I can, to see if she found any or had any response because I'd love to read comments/reviews on them from POC, too.

And thanks for the LA Times link - that was a really good read!



User avatar
Sugar Magnolia
Posts: 8754
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#212

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:55 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm
RVInit wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am


Thanks for providing the link to this article. Very interesting. And, yes, I'm apparently among the few who really love those paintings.
I like them too.
Well, there's at least three of us who do!

I saw an interesting tweet the day before yesterday from a WOC wanting to see some reviews of the paintings by POC as everything she'd seen was from white writers. She wondered if the reactions would be the same (reading between the lines, it sounded as though she didn't think they would be). I'll have to try to remember to track that tweet down, if I can, to see if she found any or had any response because I'd love to read reviews from POC, too.

And thanks for the LA Times link - that was a really good read!
Not a scientific study by any means, but all of the WOC in my quilt group today hated it. "Doesn't look like her" and "nobody's skin is that color" were repeated several times.



User avatar
p0rtia
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 am

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#213

Post by p0rtia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I think they're okay--I like Michell's the best.

My favorite part is that they are not smiling. That's a big plus for me.


No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

User avatar
HilltownGrrl
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#214

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm
Not a scientific study by any means, but all of the WOC in my quilt group today hated it. "Doesn't look like her" and "nobody's skin is that color" were repeated several times.
Thanks for the report, Sugar!



User avatar
HilltownGrrl
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama Post Presidency

#215

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:50 pm

p0rtia wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm
I think they're okay--I like Michell's the best.

My favorite part is that they are not smiling. That's a big plus for me.
I like that they're not smiling, too.



Post Reply

Return to “President & Executive Branch”