The FBI vs Hillary Rodham Clinton

Suranis

Re: The FBI vs Hillary Rodham Clinton

Post by Suranis »

There has been a bit of controversy regarding Comeys role in this. While some see him as part of the anti-HRC faction, other see him as being basically unable to control them while trying to restrain them. Some even see his letter to congress last week as trying to get ahead of the leaks he knew were coming and to diffuse them.

Regardless, I think he is gone after the election.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
Slarti the White

Post by Slarti the White »

Suranis wrote:There has been a bit of controversy regarding Comeys role in this. While some see him as part of the anti-HRC faction, other see him as being basically unable to control them while trying to restrain them. Some even see his letter to congress last week as trying to get ahead of the leaks he knew were coming and to diffuse them.

Regardless, I think he is gone after the election.
That may be right, but even if it is I think he deserves to be fired (and face legal consequences if appropriate).
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Indeed, Suranis, it is hard to see the same guy who refused to recommend charges against HRC acting unilaterally now to damage her campaign. Quite possibly he is not the ultimate black-hat guy in this incident... although in fairness he did make the "extremely reckless" comment.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I was once told that every department head and cabinet secretary submitts an undated letter of resignation when they are appointed into their post.

That way, the president doesn't have to fire them. He just pulls out the letter, dates it, then goes on TV and says how sad he is to have to accept the resignation.
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

My prediction: he's going nowhere.

Comey is ~3 years into what is supposed to be a 10-year appointment. It is *not* a job that usually changes over at the start of a new Presidency. Yes, he can be fired in theory, but doing so would require a massive expenditure of political capital. And the optics of such a move would be atrocious - Saturday Night Massacre, anyone?

He's untouchable. And knows it.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slartibartfast wrote:
Tarrant wrote:The fact that Giuliani is actively touting the fact that FBI people are leaking things directly to the Trump campaign should be grounds for serious investigation. This is really serious stuff - of course, since Comey seems to be part of the endeavor to take down Clinton, he won't do much, but any actual leader should be on the mic RIGHT NOW talking about how indefensible it is, and within the organization heads should be rolling.

But they won't.
They should be appointing a special prosecutor to investigate COMEY (and on down the line).
:like: This is what I find more than a little frustrating. I can see Democrats not playing the games that Republicans are playing - you can't beat someone at their own game. However, sitting by and allowing this to happen is just infuriating and it isn't just "game playing" to crack down on it. It's called enforcing the law. You know, like the Orange Menace talks about all the time - law and order.
Edit: Except that most of what he wants to do is not lawful and would be out of order
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

Mikedunford wrote:My prediction: he's going nowhere.

Comey is ~3 years into what is supposed to be a 10-year appointment. It is *not* a job that usually changes over at the start of a new Presidency. Yes, he can be fired in theory, but doing so would require a massive expenditure of political capital. And the optics of such a move would be atrocious - Saturday Night Massacre, anyone?

I'm not seeing how it's a problem to do that if he is verifiably corrupting the FBI. Nixon's enemies were not doing such things. Seems like a universe of difference there.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll
MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Dallasite wrote:
Tarrant wrote:The fact that Giuliani is actively touting the fact that FBI people are leaking things directly to the Trump campaign should be grounds for serious investigation.
This is what worries me the most. People will always be somewhat biased. It's human nature. I'm sure there are plenty of agents who dislike Trump as much as some dislike Clinton. But to have agents leak information for purely political reasons is so far beyond the pale it's frightening. What other corrupt activities have they been involved with?
Frightening exactly describes this entire election. Russians hacking the DNC and has "associates" working or the Trump campaign. The FBI has gone off the deep end in a partisan witch hunt with specific intent to meddle in a Presidential election. There will be armed Trump supporters probably in their pick up trucks with giant confederate, Gadsden and American flags flying out the back on election day. Well, they do that all the time around here. Today I went to the shopping center and someone ripped my Hillary/Kaine bumpersticker off my back window!

This entire election is fucking bad fiction come to life. :shock:
Birfers are toast
bob

Post by bob »

Mikedunford wrote:Yes, he can be fired in theory, but doing so would require a massive expenditure of political capital.
Maybe Chaffetz, Gowdy, and Yoho can form a select impeachment committee. :sarcasm:
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

BillTheCat wrote:

I'm not seeing how it's a problem to do that if he is verifiably corrupting the FBI. Nixon's enemies were not doing such things. Seems like a universe of difference there.
First, I'm not sure that it can fairly be said that he's "verifiably corrupting" the FBI. We've seen and heard a wide range of reasons/excuses for what's going on, and a lot of speculation - some of which might even conceivably not be entirely uninformed - regarding the exact nature of his role in everything.

Second, even if he is, so what? Since when does reality matter when it comes to political appearances? Firing the person who investigated her for something she has admitted was a mistake (and, yes, I know that's not reality, but it's exactly how it would be spun) still looks totally horrible.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.
BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat »

Well I'm not considering her doing it - Obama could.

Regardless of him, that house needs fumigating. :madguy:
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Regrettably, I think outrage fatigue has set in. Feature this: Pretend it's 1992. If we re-context what has happened in this election, what do you think the reactions would have been to these stories?

Republicans Nominate Failed Developer With No Experience for President

Russians Use Computer Networks to Try to Influence US Presidential Election

FBI Agents Leak Stories of Fictitious Investigations to Help Bill Clinton Defeat President Bush

Are you kidding? People would be going insane. There'd be riots in Washington.

Now? Apparently no big deal.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
Slarti the White

Post by Slarti the White »

Mike,

I know you're right but, seriously, fuck that. We've been complete pussies about political crimes since Nixon and it's long since time that we demanded that the law be applied---fairly and without a double standard. Comey needs to be investigated. If he violated the Hatch Act or committed any other crime, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Not doing so only enables the delegitimizing of our elections by Trump and the Republicans and continues the reprehensible precedent started when Tricky Dick said it was okay if the president did it. The court system is one way to expose the false equivalences that the right continually propagandizes us with. One way or the other, we need to restore accountability or we're only delaying the inevitable even if we manage to elect Clinton.
Edit: :like: to RoadScholar. That's exactly what I mean. :towel:
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)
Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

I could let Comey slide if they'd go after the renegade agents in NYC and anywhere else who think they know everything and can leak it to political operatives/press, etc.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RoadScholar wrote:Indeed, Suranis, it is hard to see the same guy who refused to recommend charges against HRC acting unilaterally now to damage her campaign. Quite possibly he is not the ultimate black-hat guy in this incident... although in fairness he did make the "extremely reckless" comment.
My brain keeps trying to get this to make sense (because, yikes, the alternatives suck). But this take always slides off because: 1) Right wing FBI agents threaten/are discovered to plan to leak the news that there may be/are relevant Sec. Clinton emails on Weiner's computer despite the policy of not doing this within 60 days of an election. 2) This leak would be either an attempt to intentionally affect the election or at best an act carried out without caring that it might affect the election. 3) Alerted about this situation, Comey decides to do the affecting for them.

I just don't see where it is possible that he intentionally tried to damage HRC. For me, the whole "afraid they were going to leak" explanation is the kind of explanation that isn't.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Trump has unified the world!!!
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

Reality Check wrote:Thanks for posting this Suranis. I thought about posting a link to the Guardian article in the Clinton email thread this morning. This absolutely stinks. President Clinton is going to have some major housecleaning to do at the FBI. She can start with the top asshole Comey if President Obama doesn't fire his ass first.
Hey, Ken Starr is unemployed, she can appoint him as an independent prosecutor to investigate the FBI.

That way her hands are clean.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.
Karen Walker

Post by Karen Walker »

Really good common sense article that even your crazy uncle could understand.
The real Clinton email scandal is that a bullshit story has dominated the campaign

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... l-bullshit
June bug

Post by June bug »

Agreed Mike. Here's RC's post and my response in the e-mail thread from last Wednesday:
Reality Check wrote:We need to start a pool on the date Comey gets fired (or resigns to spend more time with his family). I will take November 9th. ;)
June bug wrote:I don't know, RC. IMO Obama and/or Hillary (if elected) will face big political blow back if he leaves for any reason while the e-mail thing is still ongoing. Plus, also, anyone either of them nominates may never be confirmed. Even Comey took forever, even with Republican credentials.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Political blow or not Comey has to go. The pressure on him to leave will not go away. Other than committing treason or taking a bribe interfering in the democratic processes is probably the most despicable act the Director of the FBI could commit.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Reality Check wrote:Political blow or not Comey has to go. The pressure on him to leave will not go away. Other than committing treason or taking a bribe interfering in the democratic processes is probably the most despicable act the Director of the FBI could commit.
:like:

A few weeks ago, I watched an interview with Michael Chertoff, who endorsed HRC. Those who were awake during Bill Clinton's term may remember what a rabid Clinton hunter he was. The interviewer asked him if he had any regrets. He said yes, we were busy going after Bill Clinton and ignoring Bin Laden.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Slartibartfast wrote:
Tarrant wrote:The fact that Giuliani is actively touting the fact that FBI people are leaking things directly to the Trump campaign should be grounds for serious investigation. This is really serious stuff - of course, since Comey seems to be part of the endeavor to take down Clinton, he won't do much, but any actual leader should be on the mic RIGHT NOW talking about how indefensible it is, and within the organization heads should be rolling.

But they won't.
They should be appointing a special prosecutor to investigate COMEY (and on down the line).
Giuliani isn't a member of the press. Put him before a grand jury and ask him questions about who leaked to him, who tattled to them, etc., etc.

I'd like to see (or hear about) Mr. Verbnoun911 squirm.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks and kudos to Foggy and all election day workers!!!!!!!!! :bighug:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
bob

Post by bob »

WaPo: Fox News apologizes for falsely reporting that Clinton faces indictment:
Fox News anchor Bret Baier apologized Friday for reporting that federal investigators had determined that Hillary Clinton’s private email server had been hacked and that an investigation would lead to an indictment of Clinton after the election.

In fact, Baier said, after checking with his sources, there is no evidence at this time for either statement.

But neither of his reports about Clinton were accurate, Baier acknowledged Friday morning in a “Fox News alert” conversation with Fox News anchor Jon Scott.

Baier said he relied on a single anonymous source within the FBI for his report about an alleged hack of the server: “I was quoting from one source about his certainty that the server had been hacked by five foreign intelligence agencies. . . . As of today there still are no digital fingerprints of a breach, no matter what the working assumption is within the bureau.”
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies. Retired but still available for ass kicking.

Post by SuzieC »

Maybe the FBI's love for Trump has to do with how extremely white and male it is.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fbi ... c62483f6e4

Return to “General Politics”