Is TheFogBow a Bubble?

Sterngard Friegen

Is TheFogBow a Bubble?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:01 am

For years we've read that politics are becoming more polarized because people can meet like people on the Internet and reinforce their views. According to common wisdom, this occurs because we like to live in "bubbles" where our prejudices and predilections are reinforced. So, a question --

Is TheFogBow such a bubble?

Adrianinflorida

Re: Is TheFogBow a Bubble?

Post by Adrianinflorida » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:10 am

Probably, to some extent. It's mostly a shared interest group, that said, some topics around here do feature some heated debate.

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm thankful for the "bubble"! I found TFB due to the occupation after trying to haunt FB trying to figure out the "players" and their motives due to a personal interest. TFB allowed me to back off perusing so much damned crazy because as a community TFB (and Twitter) would ferret out the majority of the nuggets of crazy I was interested in without personally having to wade through the filth. It also let me through a bit of mental relief snark at the situation without having to deflect attacks from the asses.

I agree though that there have been some pretty heated debates and that's just in the topics I follow so I'm sure there has been some good debates in many of the others. Unlike the poots this forum CAN discuss and debate varying views on a topic among ourselves without devolving to poot logic "I'll kick your ass" threats.

So yes I think it's a bit of a bubble of like minded folks but unlike most bubbles I've seen this year this bubble has room for all political ideas, as long as we all dislike stupidity.

Thank you FogBow members!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Maybe. We may be a high-information bubble. We read widely and mingle more than some and always have so our opinions aren't simply selectively reinforced here.

If it is, then I'm going to relax and take a bath. :girlbutt:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:49 pm

No, Fogbow is a wormhole.

Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

bob

Post by bob » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:Is TheFogBow such a bubble?
Short answer: yes.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

HumbleScribe

Post by HumbleScribe » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:14 pm

I think so. To me it is no different from the cliques that start in junior high and high school. Jocks with jocks; smart kids with smart kids; stoners with stoners.

However, in my short time here, despite our diverse geography, education, vocations and ages there are common themes and threads that serve to unify more times than not.

The internet has enabled these far-reaching individuals to interact on their terms. We can choose to read and respond on our schedule. We can choose to ignore topics if we are uninterested, or if we believe that our personal views run contrary to the majority.

If there were no internet today, rather than a global Fogbow with instant access, there would be hundreds of tiny Fogbows scattered hither and yon to discuss many of the same topics that we discuss today with much smaller participation and less information.

And, probably less snark. A lot less snark.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Yes, but it's our bubble.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:38 pm

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:41 pm

An information bubble is defined by what it keeps out. So what does The Fogbow keep out? Surely racism, anti-Semitism, creationism, right wing extremism. But the keeping out is of an odd sort, because TFB does not ignore these points of view; it argues against them. It does so with a high level of information.

The prime target for TFB is lies. Our political culture is filled with lies, but this is not peculiar to today. It's just that the lies have changed, and the liars now have megaphones. It's a big job to get people's attention in a world that is full of loud liars. I think we do fairly well there.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:51 pm

TollandRCR wrote:An information bubble is defined by what it keeps out. So what does The Fogbow keep out? Surely racism, anti-Semitism, creationism, right wing extremism. But the keeping out is of an odd sort, because TFB does not ignore these points of view; it argues against them. It does so with a high level of information.

The prime target for TFB is lies. Our political culture is filled with lies, but this is not peculiar to today. It's just that the lies have changed, and the liars now have megaphones. It's a big job to get people's attention in a world that is full of loud liars. I think we do fairly well there.
Yes, we're drowning in an ocean of lies. I think of TFB as a life raft more than a bubble. Bubbles don't last long.

listeme

Post by listeme » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah, it's a bubble -- but we are by nature somewhat less insulated than some bubble denizens.

1. We deliberately seek out the sites that we disagree with (for debunking, but it still exposes us to the occasional real topic that we might miss).

2. We are cranky and don't hesitate to say "I vehemently disagree with you, Fellow Bubble Member". (Or maybe that is just me :blink: )

So it is a bubble, but maybe a relatively thin-coated one.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

phaseolus

Post by phaseolus » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Maybe, a little. But we're thoughtful, deliberative types. We listen to well-reasoned arguments and consider whatever evidence we encounter. And that's all going to influence whatever kind of bubble this place could be.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Not really. In order to be a bubble, IMHO, three things need to be in evidence:

1) Countervailing opinions are often ignored (or denied) as if they don't exist.
2) Blatantly non-factual arguments are employed to counter them when such opinions are addressed.
3) Inoculation of the members against referring to other sources, demanding they only trust this one source.

I don't think any of them apply to the Fogbow.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:54 pm

I listen to other opinions. I only ask that they be backed with facts. I just don't see the right wing backing their opinions.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:18 pm

RoadScholar wrote:Not really. In order to be a bubble, IMHO, three things need to be in evidence:

1) Countervailing opinions are often ignored (or denied) as if they don't exist.
2) Blatantly non-factual arguments are employed to counter them when such opinions are addressed.
3) Inoculation of the members against referring to other sources, demanding they only trust this one source.

I don't think any of them apply to the Fogbow.
I want to agree with both you and bob (whose answer was simply "yes").

On the one hand we seem to reinforce our already-held opinions to a great degree. But that may be because we come into this with a specific mindset. On the other hand, we do seek the truth and are open to opposing positions just as long as they are supported by facts.

Is there anyone who contributes here who is a Trump supporter?

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:23 pm

Not a bubble so much as a light foam.
Image Image Image Image Image

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:35 pm

We do have this annoying mindset that falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. If that's a bubble, I'm all for it. This is a virtuous bubble...taking on all the vicious, festering bubbles.

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Whip

Post by Whip » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:51 pm

bubble booey bubble booey howard stern.........

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:10 pm

A bubble suggests an enclosure that is easily made to disappear. No, Fogbow is inside a bank vault.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Estiveo wrote:Not a bubble so much as a light foam.
At least it's not a Santorum. 8-)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:11 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Estiveo wrote:Not a bubble so much as a light foam.
At least it's not a Santorum. 8-)
That's 3 minutes in the penalty box.
Image Image Image Image Image

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:44 pm

YES, thank god. When lies are swirling all around us, when we're drowning in an ocean of lies, there's a site that is devoted to the truth.

jmj

Post by jmj » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:51 pm

I think it is a bubble, to some extent. But just the fact that we're asking this question and discussing it honestly means there's a level of self-awareness and critical thinking that separates us from most other bubbles. And I think that makes it more 'virtuous' than most other bubbles. We do hear a lot of reinforcing opinions here, but we're (mostly) able to step back and evaluate things objectively.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Stern, I like Foogy's answer the best, and then bob's, but I think Roadscholar and Pluto both sum it up best. Any time you get a group together you form a bubble of sorts. The difference here, and what I like most, is that while there are strong opinions here, to use my understatement license, they do not shut out countervailing ones, they had just best be able to defend them and go not "because stuffs" "cause I found it on the innerwebs".
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “General Politics”