Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Mikedunford

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Post by Mikedunford » Tue May 08, 2018 10:11 am

There is a certain irony in shit-stirring while posting under the name of a noted pacifier and peace activist.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am

I find the idea of using Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewsinky to somehow taint Hillary completely disgusting. Hillary made the personal and difficult decision to forgive her husband and remain married. She would have been perfectly justified to have separated and divorced him had she chosen to do that. However, she chose the good of the family and to forgive instead. To use that choice against her one would have to be a person lacking in human compassion and character.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am

Reality Check wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am
I find the idea of using Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewsinky to somehow taint Hillary completely disgusting. Hillary made the personal and difficult decision to forgive her husband and remain married. She would have been perfectly justified to have separated and divorced him had she chosen to do that. However, she chose the good of the family and to forgive instead. To use that choice against her one would have to be a person lacking in human compassion and character.
:clap:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:11 am
There is a certain irony in shit-stirring while posting under the name of a noted pacifier and peace activist.
The Russians running these bots have a certain sense of humor.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 am

Reality Check wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 am
To some folks it doesn't matter how good your behavior if you're a Democrat, or how bad if you're a Republican. If a Republican wife chose to forgive her husband and try to mend the marriage, she'd be called a saint. As would a black Republican who started with little, worked hard, became the editor of the Harvard Law Review, was married only once, had two lovely children and was elected Senator and then President.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 am

Please at least try to stay on topic.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue May 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Joe Arpiao had an affair with Bill Clinton??? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm

kate520 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:27 am
Please at least try to stay on topic.
I think "doesn't matter how bad if you're a Republican" is applicable to Arpaio, sort of. But yeah.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Peace activist as in avoiding war - yes.
Pacifier as in - "now let's be all friends " -no
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue May 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Carl von Ossietsky wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:23 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Peace activist as in avoiding war - yes.
Pacifier as in - "now let's be all friends " -no
That should have read, of course, pacifist. I think I need to stop hunting for reasons to not go to the optometrist.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm

"Pacifier " is an other word for "Peacemaker " - the most famous gun created by Samuel Colt. Your President seems to be a peacemaker in this tradition.
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm
"Pacifier " is an other word for "Peacemaker " - the most famous gun created by Samuel Colt. Your President seems to be a peacemaker in this tradition.
Pacifier is also...

Whip

Post by Whip » Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm
Tue May 08, 2018 5:20 pm
Pacifier is also...
and also:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... estigation
How a Court Ruling on Joe Arpaio Could Undermine Civil Rights and the Mueller Investigation

After his pardon, Arpaio asked the court to vacate the contempt judgement against him. The district court halted its proceedings against Arpaio but refused to clear his record. So Arpaio appealed. In the coming months, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will have an opportunity to review the case and potentially overturn a presidential pardon for the first time in more than a century.

When Trump pardoned Arpaio, Martin Redish, a constitutional expert at Northwestern University’s law school, had just completed a book on the importance of an independent judiciary to safeguard constitutional rights. He saw Arpaio’s pardon as the perfect cautionary tale. The night before Trump officially pardoned the former sheriff, Redish penned a New York Times op-ed laying out the case for why the rumored pardon was unconstitutional. His argument was simple: The government cannot take away someone’s liberty without a court ruling under the due process clause of the Fifth Amendment. Pardoning Arpaio deprived Latinos in Maricopa County of that right—and undermined the court’s ability to protect individual rights. “f the president can employ the pardon power to circumvent constitutional protections of liberty, there is very little left of the constitutional checks on presidential power,” Redish warned.

If the status quo stands, critics of the pardon argue, Trump can essentially nullify constitutional rights that conflict with his agenda and immunize officials who carry out his unconstitutional policies. As constitutional scholar Laurence Tribe and civil rights attorney Ron Fein, who participated in a brief opposing the pardon, explained in a Washington Post op-ed, desegregation after Brown v. Board of Education happened because the courts enforced their orders with the threat of contempt against politicians vowing “massive resistance.” If the president had pardoned local officials who refused to desegregate schools, that would have nullified the civil rights of African Americans. Likewise, it’s easy to see the Arpaio pardon as a signal to like-minded law enforcement officials that implementation of the administration’s immigration agenda will come with a pardon for unconstitutional enforcement. As Redish warned in his op-ed, what’s to stop Trump from promising individual officials that he will pardon them if they violate court orders?

Fein, Aftergut, and Redish argued in a brief to the district court that there is precedent on their side. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson pardoned a newspaper editor named George Burdick in order to compel him to disclose his sources to a grand jury. Burdick had previously invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, and he declined the pardon, which was intended to circumvent that right. The Supreme Court held that the pardon was void.

Fogbowzers- Proceed. :smoking:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon May 14, 2018 11:51 am

I disagree with Redish. Jailing or fining Arpaio doesn't affect the prospective relief given to Arpaio's victims. So, too, for not jailing or fining him.

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:02 pm

The Ninth Circuit may be reconsidering its decision to appoint a special prosecutor to oppose the vacateur of Arpaio's conviction:
Arpaio - CA9 Order re Briefing on Rehearing of Appointing Spec Prosecutor 2018-06-01.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:11 pm

It would appear one judge (perhaps more) has asked for a vote on whether to go en banc.

(But this would explain why no one has been appointed.)
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

tek

Post by tek » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:09 pm

IANAL, but it seems this all becomes more important with the new set of f'kwits that Trump is pardoning..
There's no way back
from there to here

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:16 pm

tek wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:09 pm
IANAL, but it seems this all becomes more important with the new set of f'kwits that Trump is pardoning..
IMHO, not really.

It isn't that likely someone will be pardoned after they are convicted but before they are sentenced again.

Even if it does happen again, it is kind of a tempest in a teapot. Whether Arpaio's file shows he was convicted or not really doesn't matter except to save face. Arpaio still did what he did and still got away with it.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:02 pm

tuscon.com: Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio seeks investigation of his defeat in 2016 election:
Joe Arpaio is seeking an investigation into his claim that the U.S. Justice Department meddled in his unsuccessful 2016 campaign for sheriff in metro Phoenix.

Arpaio, now a candidate for the U.S. Senate seat held by retiring Sen. Jeff Flake, alleges the federal agency tried to sway voters against him by agreeing to push a criminal contempt of court case against Arpaio just weeks before the election.

In asking Attorney General Jeff Sessions for the investigation, Arpaio's lawyer Mark Goldman made parallels between the Justice Department's actions in Arpaio's case and its conduct in the investigation into whether Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential race and whether then-candidate Donald Trump's campaign was involved. Goldman cited an anti-Trump text message made by an FBI agent who was once part of the team conducting the Russia investigation.

"Given that these high-ranking FBI officials had no qualms about discussing methods of overthrowing the future president, it is more than reasonable to believe that the there was a concerted effort to steer and influence the election of Sheriff Arpaio," Goldman wrote in a June 1 letter to Sessions.

In an interview Wednesday, Arpaio insisted he wasn't opportunistically using a Trump strategy by attacking the Department of Justice's conduct. "I am not jumping on a bandwagon," Arpaio said.

The Justice Department didn't respond to a phone call and email seeking comment on Arpaio's investigation request and the claim that the agency tried to turn voters against Arpaio.
:mememe:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Somebody send him to Mark Small, Clownselor at Law. :mrgreen:
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:44 pm
Somebody send him to Mark Small, Clownselor at Law.
Some jerk* heard Foogie's prayers:

* :-

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm

I get 'account suspended' for that twitter link

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Whip wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm
The account of some jerk* is not suspended (and, I am Reliably Informed, not blocking anyone).

(It just links to a comment in which Mark Small is tagged; maybe he blocked you?)

realist

Post by realist » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:32 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm
Whip wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm
The account of some jerk* is not suspended (and, I am Reliably Informed, not blocking anyone).

(It just links to a comment in which Mark Small is tagged; maybe he blocked you?)

Then he musta blocked me too. Also. And I"ve never even seen his twitter account except for posts here. Perhaps my reputation preceded me. :lol:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “General Politics”