Republicans Behaving Typically

Volkonski

Re: Republicans Behaving Normally

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Another Trump wannbe?

Scott Wong

@scottwongDC

Oh boy: Flirtatious texts, topless photo roil Steve Montenegro's congressional campaign; he blasts 'false tabloid trash'
http://www.
azcentral.com/story/news/pol
itics/elections/2018/02/21/steve-montenegro-congress-campaign-roiled-flirty-text/357581002/

10:24 AM - Feb 21, 2018
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:09 pm

My mother called and I ignored it and then she texted and said to call her immediately.

Governor Greitens has been indicted. She was very excited.

It is on Twitter, it must be true.

Abigael Jaymes @AbigaelKCTV5

BREAKING: Missouri governor Eric Greitens was indicted Thursday on one count of invasion of privacy.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:13 pm

Oh, and they arrested him. :bunny: :happyfamily: :bunny:

Robert Patrick‏Verified account @rxpatrick

I just saw MO Gov. Eric Greitens being led away in the custody of the St. Louis Sheriff.

-George Takei

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:32 pm

St. Louis Post-Dispatch‏Verified account @stltoday

UPDATE: Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens indicted on felony invasion of privacy; Greitens taken into custody and booked at St. Louis Justice Center http://bit.ly/2GEpvjZ
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :bunny: :happyfamily: :kickface: :splat:

edit: Per Twitter, he has already been released on his own recognizance.

Here is the first page of the Indictment. :lol:
govindict.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-George Takei

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm

don't know where else to post this
Top GOP donor sought $75M fee if DOJ ended probe into Malaysian scandal: report

A longtime Republican donor allegedly sought to make tens of millions of dollars if the Justice Department (DOJ) dropped its investigation into an investment deal connected to the Malaysian prime minster.

Elliott Broidy and his wife, attorney Robin Rosenzweig, reportedly discussed in emails over the past year arranging a consulting contract with Jho Low, the businessman at the center of an investment scandal that ensnared Malaysian leader Najib Razak.

One email includes a proposal for a $75 million fee for the couple if the Justice Department dropped its investigation into the scandal, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
The emails do not show if any consulting deal with Low was finalized.

Broidy was a vice chairman of President Trump's joint campaign fund with the Republican Party.
“At no time did Mr. Broidy or Ms. Rosenzweig, or anyone acting on their behalf, discuss Mr. Low’s case with President Trump, any member of his staff, or anyone at the U.S. Department of Justice,” the lawyer said.
Both Low and Razak have denied any wrongdoing in the scandal.
http://thehill.com/policy/international ... -malaysian
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Dolly wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm
don't know where else to post this
Top GOP donor sought $75M fee if DOJ ended probe into Malaysian scandal: report

A longtime Republican donor allegedly sought to make tens of millions of dollars if the Justice Department (DOJ) dropped its investigation into an investment deal connected to the Malaysian prime minster.

Elliott Broidy and his wife, attorney Robin Rosenzweig, reportedly discussed in emails over the past year arranging a consulting contract with Jho Low, the businessman at the center of an investment scandal that ensnared Malaysian leader Najib Razak.

One email includes a proposal for a $75 million fee for the couple if the Justice Department dropped its investigation into the scandal, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.
The emails do not show if any consulting deal with Low was finalized.

Broidy was a vice chairman of President Trump's joint campaign fund with the Republican Party.
“At no time did Mr. Broidy or Ms. Rosenzweig, or anyone acting on their behalf, discuss Mr. Low’s case with President Trump, any member of his staff, or anyone at the U.S. Department of Justice,” the lawyer said.
Both Low and Razak have denied any wrongdoing in the scandal.
http://thehill.com/policy/international ... -malaysian
So I guess the fee was going to be earned by this couple for being able to accurately guess what would happen to this investigation? My gawd, but these people think we are all stupid.

And, does Trump actually know anybody who isn't completely sleazy and/or directly connected with the mob?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 pm

Married Republican Iowa State Senate Caucus leader resigns after video surfaces of him kissing a lobbyist in a bar.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... de00294d8d
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 pm

I can't find where this was posted before. FWIW.... UPDATE
Dallas judge dismisses GOP lawsuit to take Dems off of ballot

A judge in Dallas on Monday dismissed a Republican lawsuit calling for local Democrats to be taken off of the ballot in the upcoming 2018 midterm elections.

State District Judge Eric Moyé ruled on Monday that Republicans lacked standing in the case.

The case, which was brought by the Dallas County Republican Party, aimed to remove over 80 local Democrats from the November ballot.

Dallas Republicans cited the Democrats' county chair Carol Donovan not signing the candidates' ballot applications prior to submitting them.

While the party's county chair is required by law to sign the ballots before submitting them, Democrats said the suit was simply an attack from Republicans.

"The Republican Party seems to be doing everything in its power to show minority voters that it has little regard for them at the national, state, and now local level," state Rep. Eric Johnson (D) told The Texas Tribune.

Moyé's decision could have salvaged Democratic chances of keeping one of their strongholds in the red state.
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/38 ... -of-ballot
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 pm

The last sentence/paragraph makes absolutely no sense.

June bug

Post by June bug » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:40 pm
The last sentence/paragraph makes absolutely no sense.
In this case, I suspect it's a typo and they probably meant "savaged" instead of "salvaged" but it's just plain sloppy. Not surprising though. The Hill personifies sloppy journalism in things both big and small.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Crimes are no longer a disqualification for Republican candidates

Then-Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) outside his Capitol Hill office in 2014. He admitted to hiring undocumented workers, hiding $900,000 from tax authorities and making false statements under oath but thinks Staten Island Republicans should vote him back into office.

By Michael Scherer May 1 at 6:00 AM Email the author

Former New York congressman Michael Grimm is a felon who has admitted to hiring undocumented workers, hiding $900,000 from tax authorities and making false statements under oath. To hear him tell it, that’s a reason Staten Island Republicans should vote him back into office.

“It’s almost identical to what the president has been going through,” Grimm says of the federal investigation that led to his imprisonment. “It’s not an accident that under the Obama administration the Justice Department was used politically. And that is all starting to come out.”

Grimm has uncovered a new reality in the constantly changing world of Republican politics: Criminal convictions, once seen as career-enders, are no longer disqualifying. In the era of President Trump, even time spent in prison can be turned into a positive talking point, demonstrating a candidate’s battle scars in a broader fight against what he perceives as liberal corruption.

In a startling shift from “law-and-order Republicans,” Trump has attacked some branches of law enforcement, especially those pursuing white-collar malfeasance, as his allies and former campaign officials are ensnared in various investigations.

Following his lead, Republican Senate candidates with criminal convictions in West Virginia and Arizona have cast themselves as victims of the Obama administration’s legal overreach. Another former Trump adviser who has pleaded guilty to a felony has also become an in-demand surrogate, as Republicans jump at the chance to show their opposition to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 01, 2018 1:03 pm

Good. Democrats can run as defenders of law and order.

Please proceed, gentlemen.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 12:23 pm

Former New York congressman Michael Grimm is a felon who has admitted to hiring undocumented workers, hiding $900,000 from tax authorities and making false statements under oath. To hear him tell it, that’s a reason Staten Island Republicans should vote him back into office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... story.html
Interesting. In Florida a felon can't even vote. I wonder if a felon could run for office. Since it's Floriduh, probably. :smoking:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

bob

Post by bob » Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm
I wonder if a felon could run for office.
Felons are not prohibited from running for federal offices. (Only the U.S. Constitution can set the qualifications for those offices.)
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks, bob. I always learn new things on the Fogbow. :bighug:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Yeah, I guess the Founders figured the people would never knowingly elect a convicted criminal.

Silly fellows.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm
:thumbs:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue May 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm
I often learn old things on the Fogbow. :smoking:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:38 pm

Well, that's cuz you're old. You've seen it all.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Yeah, I guess the Founders figured the people would never knowingly elect a convicted criminal.

Silly fellows.
Stern was there; perhaps he can give us some insight.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 pm

RoadScholar wrote:

Silly fellows.
Or that the Congress would have enough integrity not to put a up with one.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue May 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 pm
RoadScholar wrote:

Silly fellows.
Or that the Congress would have enough integrity not to put a up with one.
:thumbs: If they could see what is going on today they would probably believe they should put a few more things in writing.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue May 01, 2018 10:20 pm

There is a substantial overlap between the memberships of the Staten Island Republicans and the Staten Island Mob. To this constituency, a felony conviction is sort of proof of Congressional aptitude.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue May 01, 2018 11:33 pm

David Jolly, formerly a Republican member of Congress from Florida, writes of the silence or obscurity of his former colleagues:

The nation deserves to know the honest convictions of its elected representatives, whether they be defenders or critics of this president, particularly during a chapter of such political uncertainty that many Americans now fear the constitutional ramifications of an early termination to Trump’s presidency. The silence of these members of Congress is both a violation of the public trust and a reflection of their own lack of personal and political mettle.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue May 01, 2018 11:37 pm

I want to make another pitch to change the title to this thread. The Republicans dishonored here rarely act "normally." They do, however, act "typically" for what passes as a Republican these days.

Please change the title! :pray:

Return to “General Politics”