Republicans Behaving Typically

Sugar Magnolia

Republicans Behaving Normally

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

And one of our idiot state legislators has introduced a breed-specific bill that would allow police officers to enter homes without a warrant if they suspect there are pit bulls present.

Roboe

Post by Roboe »

Which is quite simple, really.

"Don't get sick or injured."

It really is: End Obamacare, and people could die. That’s okay.

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

God makes people die every day. Why do we think that we can play God and interfere with her plan for population management? People should have died years ago when God first called them, but man in his arrogance said NO!!!!

/rant

It just had to be said... I feel better now....

;)
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

January 26, 2015

House Conservatives Band Together to Form New Group[hlyellow] to Push Conservative Agenda[/hlyellow]

Conservative lawmakers are officially rolling out a new group aimed at advancing a conservative agenda in the House of Representatives after they expressed discontent with the direction of the Republican Study Committee.

“Our main hope is that we can represent the voids and valleys for our constituents back home,” Rep. Raúl Labrador of Idaho told The Daily Signal today. “With a small group that is nimble and able to work on issues that are of importance to our constituents, we can make a difference in Congress.”

Called the House Freedom Caucus, the group serves as a conservative alternative to the Republican Study Committee, which has over 170 members. However, it was not formed to be “anti-RSC,” a Republican congressional aide told The Daily Signal last month.

“The House Freedom Caucus gives a voice to countless Americans who feel that Washington does not represent them” its mission statement says. “We support open, accountable and limited government, the Constitution and the rule of law, and [hlyellow]policies that promote the liberty, safety and prosperity of all Americans.”[/hlyellow] :roll:

The Freedom Caucus has nine founding members: Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio,—the interim chairman—Labrador, Justin Amash of Michigan, Ron DeSantis of Florida, John Fleming of Louisiana, Scott Garrett of New Jersey, Mark Meadows of North Carolina, Mick Mulvaney of South Carolina and Matt Salmon of Arizona. <SNIP>

http://dailysignal.com/2015/01/26/house ... ve-agenda/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

You know what 'They' say about any group with "Freedom" in it's title...

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

GOP senator: Let restaurants ‘opt out’ of handwashing after toilet to ‘reduce regulatory burden’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/gop- ... ry-burden/

Doesn't seem to be much of a burden, really.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Oooh! A two-fer...

Mike Huckabee: Serving Gays Is Like Forcing Jews to Sell 'Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelang ... r=Politics

Buy another brain cell, Mike. That one is getting lonely.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

vic

Post by vic »

GOP senator: Let restaurants ‘opt out’ of handwashing after toilet to ‘reduce regulatory burden’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/gop- ... ry-burden/

Doesn't seem to be much of a burden, really.

I enjoyed his explanation. He said that for example, Starbucks could make handwashing optional; they would just have to post signs and have employment literature informing the public of their policy, and then the market could decide. Perhaps that should be [blink]The Market[/blink].

I wonder how [blink]The Market[/blink] could be certain that they were being informed about such a policy. Perhaps a government regulation?

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro »

Funny how that "regulatory burden works.

Requiring employees to wash their hand is one, but requiring restaurants to have signage saying employees are not required to wash their hands isn't.

And it looks like anti-vaxxers are the next big thing on the GOP plantation. Here's another one.

GOP Rep On Vaccines: An 'Oppressive State' Shouldn't Tell Us What To Do

Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) became the latest Republican on Tuesday to speak out against vaccine mandates, saying: "We should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do."

"I want that to be my choice as a parent," Duffy, a father of seven, said said during an appearance on MSNBC's "The Rundown With José Díaz-Balart." "I know my kids best. I know what morals and values are right for my children. I think we should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do."

I probably should correct his party affiliation from R to Koch Brothers.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/s ... sive-state
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Requiring employees to wash their hand is one, but requiring restaurants to have signage saying employees are not required to wash their hands isn't.

And it looks like anti-vaxxers are the next big thing on the GOP plantation. Here's another one.

Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) became the latest Republican on Tuesday to speak out against vaccine mandates, saying: "We should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do."

"I want that to be my choice as a parent," Duffy, a father of seven, said said during an appearance on MSNBC's "The Rundown With José Díaz-Balart." "[hlyellow]I know my kids best.[/hlyellow] I know what morals and values are right for my children. I think we should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do."

So he knows his kids best. Does he know anything about infectious diseases?

Does he think that parents should be allowed to do anything with their children or does the state have some interest in limiting what parents can do? Can parents pimp their children into prostitution? Could parents invite their friends over and beat their children for everyone's amusement? Can parent sacrifice their children to appease their god? Can parents make their children work in unsafe factories for 14 hours a day? Where does Duffy draw the line?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

"I want that to be my choice as a parent," Duffy, a father of seven, said said during an appearance on MSNBC's "The Rundown With José Díaz-Balart." "[hlyellow]I know my kids best.[/hlyellow] I know what morals and values are right for my children. I think we should not have an oppressive state telling us what to do."

So he knows his kids best. Does he know anything about infectious diseases?

Does he think that parents should be allowed to do anything with their children or does the state have some interest in limiting what parents can do? Can parents pimp their children into prostitution? Could parents invite their friends over and beat their children for everyone's amusement? Can parent sacrifice their children to appease their god? Can parents make their children work in unsafe factories for 14 hours a day? Where does Duffy draw the line?

Rand Paul, who is an M.D., and should know better, has made similar comments. This is not/should not be an ideological issue. It is a public health issue.

We're already seeing outbreaks of measles, which was thought to have been eradicated in the US, because of these morons who refuse to vaccinate their children. What's next, the return of smallpox? Polio?

Time to invest in iron lung stock!
My America already IS great. Sorry about yours, Donald.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Does he think that parents should be allowed to do anything with their children or does the state have some interest in limiting what parents can do? Can parents pimp their children into prostitution? Could parents invite their friends over and beat their children for everyone's amusement? Can parent sacrifice their children to appease their god? Can parents make their children work in unsafe factories for 14 hours a day? Where does Duffy draw the line?And if the state has no business limiting parents in any way, then they need to get the hell out of a woman's uterus. Either parents have FULL rights to make decisions concerning their children (including whether to abort them or not) or they don't. Can't have it both ways.And a little tidbit for the antivaxxers who claim the autism link......Mississippi has the highest vaccination rate in the country but one of the lowest autism rates. I'll take empirical evidence over a fabricated study any day. Can't have it both ways.

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

I guess this can't be said enough: there is ZERO evidence connecting autism to the trivalent MMR vaccine.

One British doctor published research purporting to show such a link, but the research was thoroughly discredited. The doctor faked his data.

He was also pulling a con - the doctor wasn't anti-vaccine, he just wanted to scare people into using his new vaccine so he could make lots of money off his patent.

He lost his medical license, and if there's a hell I hope he rots there. He's got the blood of children on his hands.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

SueDB

Post by SueDB »

Brown shoes don't make it.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 »

Rep. Mo Brooks (R- Alabama) says that it's those illegal immigrants that are responsible for the measles outbreak. He's almost a match for O'rly in his irresponsible claims.

I heard a report on NPR today that Central American countries have an equivalent to or higher vaccination than the US. The measles outbreak is in areas with a higher percentage of anti-vaxers.

The report also noted that all legal immigrants had to prove they had been vaccinated. The children that were released until their hearings were vaccinated again just to make sure.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The report also noted that all legal immigrants had to prove they had been vaccinated.

The thing with vaccinations is that they are not 100% effective. A vaccinated foreign tourist could be contagious with measles and have visited Disneyland. Likewise, a vaccinated American could have visited the Philippines, for example, and picked up measles there, bringing it home, and to Disneyland. Those are 1 in 100 chances, but it happens. The big thing, though, is that in a vaccinated world, that would have been the end of it. No further cases would have developed. The problem lies squarely with the folks who chose not to vaccinate their children. Instead of a 1 in 100 chance of picking up measles, those children have a 9 in 10 chance.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Butterfly Bilderberg

Post by Butterfly Bilderberg »

“People could die and that’s OK”: Why the right’s free-market health philosophy is ludicrous

With this week's insanity, it's time to call GOP's health care approach what it is: a death trap for the non-rich

HEATHER DIGBY PARTON

It was startling to see physician and Senator Rand Paul claim the other day that people on disability were faking bad backs and anxiety to get on the dole and cheat the taxpayers. These are real ailments, sometimes totally debilitating, as anyone who has suffered from either can tell you. Severe back pain can make it impossible to work at any job, even those which only require sitting. Anxiety disorder is a terrible condition that can even make some people unable to even leave their house. What kind of medical doctor would deny such a thing? (If you answered, “one who will willingly trade his professional integrity for political points” you’d be right.)

But this is actually part of the GOP’s ongoing quest to degrade “entitlements” and make America’s health care system the worst in the world for anyone who isn’t wealthy. Their ongoing attack on Obamacare opened up a window to their underlying philosophy about affordable health care. (They’re not for it.) And now they are taking legislative aim at the Supplemental Security Income portion of the Social Security System. This is the program that makes it possible for people with disabilities to live without begging on the streets. Despite the fact that the congress has always routinely pushed money back and forth between the retirement and disability portions of the program as the need occurred, the Republicans in congress have decided that they no longer support doing such a thing. The result, if they have their way, would be to cut the meager stipends of millions of disable Americans within the next year.

They claim that the program is rife with fraud and that far too many people are able bodied and just refuse to work.

* * * [snip]

Think Progress noted that the reports of disability fraud are actually extremely low and noted:

Once on the rolls, payments are far from cushy: they average $1,130 a month, just over the federal poverty line for a single person, and usually replace less than half of someone’s previous earnings. Very few beneficiaries are able to work and supplement that income: less than 17 percent worked at some point during the year in 2007, but less than 3 percent of those people made more than $10,000 annually.

Apparently, even that’s too much. The government needs to crack down on these lazy moochers and put them to work. Back in the day they used to sell pencils and apples on street corners, amirite? And in third world countries you see plenty of horrifically disabled people making a tidy living by begging. They show the kind of gumption we are denying our paraplegics and mentally ill by molly coddling them with a poverty level stipend.

Moar
"Pity the nation that acclaims the bully as hero,
and that deems the glittering conqueror bountiful."
- Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

mimi

Post by mimi »

Benjamin Cole resigned today.

In Facebook Posts, Congressman Aaron Schock’s Press Secretary Compared African Americans To Zoo Animals

In a series of Facebook posts obtained by ThinkProgress, the senior adviser for policy and communications to Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) posted racial comments and endorsed gentrification of his neighborhood.

Benjamin Cole, a former Baptist pastor and energy industry spokesman, posted a series of videos and comments on October 13, 2013 mocking two African Americans outside his DC apartment. In the first, he compared them to animals escaping from the National Zoo engaged in “mating rituals.” That message included a video of a woman, shouting and seemingly engaged in an argument with someone not visible as she walked. In each of his posts, he used the hashtag “#gentrifytoday.”

You can see some of them at the link:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/ ... ns-racist/

And more posts here:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski ... ff7eb0oxDA

And for some reason, his facebook gallery is all photos of Michelle Obama. You can see that here:

http://newsfeed.gawker.com/aaron-schock ... socialflow

But wait... his boss is also in some hot water.

It seems Aaron Schock has used a bunch of taxpayer money to redecorate his office to look like the red room on Downton Abbey.

This Is What Rep. Aaron Schock’s Decadent Office Actually Looks Like?!

http://newsfeed.gawker.com/this-is-what ... 1683809755

He’s got a ‘Downton Abbey’-inspired office, but Rep. Aaron Schock won’t talk about it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle ... story.html

A bunch of money:

Taxpayers pay thousands for Rep. Schock's renovations

Paul Singer, USA TODAY 6:54 p.m. EST February 3, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli ... /22814807/

But, he's opened his instagram again. So that's good.

http://instagram.com/aaronschock

Bad week for Schock. ;)

Dolly

Post by Dolly »

Democrats hit GOP plan for replacing Obama health care law

WASHINGTON (AP) — A plan by three Republican lawmakers for replacing President Barack Obama's health care overhaul would leave Americans with less coverage and higher costs than the landmark law they want to repeal, Democrats said Thursday.

"It effectively raises taxes on the middle class, removes bedrock protections for consumers and chips away at key coverage benefits that Americans rely on," Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon, top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, said a day after the GOP authors released their outline.

"Republicans are trying to put politics first, put power back in the hands of insurance companies rather than patients," said Washington Sen. Patty Murray, leading Democrat on the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.

Democrats have lambasted Republicans for promising to repeal and replace the health care overhaul virtually since its 2010 enactment yet failing to advance a substitute. Republicans face growing pressure to suggest a replacement plan because 19 million Americans will be covered under Obama's law this year, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimates.

The plan, not yet in legislative language, erases the existing law's coverage requirements for individuals and employers. It eliminates the state and HealthCare.gov federal insurance marketplaces where insurance can be purchased and abolishes taxes the law imposes on medical devices and other things.

<SNIP>

http://news.yahoo.com/gop-lawmakers-scr ... itics.html
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

“You know, you guys are in the majority,” Franken teased GOP senators as he entered the room.

“You know, you guys are in the majority,” Franken teased GOP senators as he entered the room.

With a reporting quorum secured, Chairman Charles E. Grassley, R-Iowa, sought to quickly move ahead with the committee’s agenda.

But Franken pressed his point, telling Grassley, “No, I want to say something about this.”

“You know when we were in the majority … we had the responsibility to provide a quorum,” Franken said. “And I thought that you guys, your side, didn’t show up because you just resented being in the minority. But now I know … it’s just sheer laziness.”

http://hoh.rollcall.com/al-franken-stil ... f=obinsite http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2015/2/8/85626/65489

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

realist

Post by realist »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/2 ... 17728.html

Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard Arrested

Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard (R) was arrested on Monday and charged with 23 felony ethics charges, The Associated Press reported.

Hubbard, who chaired the Alabama Republican Party from 2007 to 2011, faces charges that include using his office for personal gain and voting for legislation with a conflict of interest, Al.com reported.

CORRECTION: This article has been edited to note that Hubbard is the former chair of the Alabama Republican Party, not the current chair.

Indictment here:
ImageX 4 ImageX36

mimi

Post by mimi »

realist, that story is from October.

But I wondered what the status is on that, so I googled.

Alabama House reelects Rep. Mike Hubbard as speaker despite indictment

Mike Cason | mcason@al.com By Mike Cason | mcason@al.com Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on January 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM, updated January 13, 2015 at 3:18 PM

MONTGOMERY, Alabama --- The Alabama House of Representatives today reelected Rep. Mike Hubbard of Auburn as House Speaker despite his indictment on charges of using his office for personal gain.

The House approved Hubbard as speaker on a roll call vote. Hubbard received 99 votes. There are 105 House members.

remainder:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/0 ... p_mik.html

Lawyers for Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard seek more prosecutor calls

The Associated press

Published: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:00 p.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 4:55 p.m.

MONTGOMERY | Lawyers for House Speaker Mike Hubbard are now asking prosecutors to disclose any conversations they had with legislators or members of the executive branch about the case.

Defense lawyers filed a discovery motion Wednesday asking a judge to force prosecutors to disclose any calls with legislators or executive branch members. They also asked for any copies of conversations that might have been recorded.

remainder:

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... /150129901

It further states that they already asked about media calls.

Meanwhile, Hubbard is doing the RWNJ thing. Ranting about same-sex marriage and right to work.

realist

Post by realist »

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-kan ... story.html

Kansas governor removes protections for LGBT employees

In a move that shocked progressive advocates in Kansas, the state's Republican governor on Tuesday issued an executive order to remove discrimination protections for gay, lesbian and transgender state employees.

State employees in Kansas can now legally be fired, harassed or denied a job for being gay or transgender, critics said.

Gov. Sam Brownback said an 2007 executive order by Kathleen Sebelius, then the state's Democratic governor, went too far by not getting legislative approval to bar job discrimination for sexual orientation and gender identity.

[...]

"This executive order ensures that state employees enjoy the same civil rights as all Kansans without creating additional ‘protected classes’ as the previous order did," Brownback said in a statement announcing the replacement of Sebelius' executive order with his own.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

next up, being fired on religious grounds.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla »

Brownback's actions are part of the reason activists want Congress to pass ENDA versus just having an Executive Order expanding the oversight of federal contractor employment oversight through OFCCP.

I seem to recall that Reagan flirted with the idea of scaling back affirmative action by rescinding relevant Executive Orders, and he was only stopped when a veto-proof Congress threatened to codify the OFCCP regulations in the legal code. Reagan buckled rather than let the legislature intrude on his administrative turf.

But it's very important to the Chief Justice that we view Brownback's actions as sincerely held belief and not paint him with the broad brush of animus. For all we know, Brownback harbors no ill will towards LGBT persons beyond his desire to fire them at will for non job related reasons.
In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Return to “General Politics”