Obamacare / Health Care

magdalen77

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by magdalen77 »

Just from my experience around here I'd say that urgent care clinics are doing a enormous business. Just in the past year there have been at least 30 or 40 urgent care clinics that registered x-rays in our region and I'm only counting the Express Med, Patient First, Urgent Care kind of places that doesn't take into consideration some of the hospitals establishing their own urgent care centers (these big hospital systems around here know where the $$$ is).

mimi

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by mimi »

Jonathan Martin @jmartNYTBegich s/pac previews how Ds may use ACA: personalize, tout popular 'pre-existing' benefit, don't mention ACA [/break1]youtube.com/watch?v=YuoXvQDC6oU] think this is an excellent ad:

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Orlylicious »

About time.Apr 10, 7:16 PM (ET)By JULIE PACEWASHINGTON (AP) - Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius is resigning after the rocky rollout of President Barack Obama's signature health care law, a White House official said Thursday.[/break1]myway.com//article/20140410/DAD3ICLO0.html]http://apnews.myway.com//article/201404 ... ICLO0.html
6/12/20 Urine Drug Screening Tonight! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

TollandRCR

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by TollandRCR »

About time.Agreed.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

June bug

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by June bug »

I also agree, but I'm not looking forward to the confirmation battle ahead.

SPen

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by SPen »

I also agree, but I'm not looking forward to the confirmation battle ahead.Obama made a great pick, and she was just confirmed to her current post by the Senate 96-0 a year ago. They'll get the confirmation out of the way this summer with plenty of time in advance of the midterm. The timing of this is perfect and that's very surprising because typically I'm questioning why the administration is doing what it's doing when it's doing it. They were smart to have Sebelius step down when she did, not when the GOP was doing their predictable "fire someone!!!1111oneone" routine but shortly after being able to make a series of positive ACA-related announcements after the enrollment period ended.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]Talking Points Memo,http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/c ... april-2014[/link]

CBO Lowers Obamacare's Price Tag By $104 Billion Over 10 Years

In its latest projections for Obamacare, the Congressional Budget Office has lowered the law's costs over the next 10 years by more than $100 billion.

Most of the change can be linked to lower spending on tax subsidies for coverage purchased on HealthCare.gov and its state counterparts, which can in turn be linked to lower-than-expected premiums.

CBO projected that the federal government would spend $164 billion less than previously expected on Obamacare subsidies by 2024. It appears that a number of factors contributed to that change. Premiums, especially in the near term, are expected to be lower than previously projected: The office estimated premiums would rise on average by about $100 in 2015. They are still expected to rise over the next decade, but at a lower rate than previously thought.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]LA Times,http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/ ... 7613.story[/link]

Eight million people signed up for healthcare, Obama announces

WASHINGTON — Driven by a last-minute flood of enrollments, particularly in California, sign-ups for health insurance through the Affordable Care Act’s online marketplaces hit 8 million in the law’s first year, President Obama announced Thursday.

That beats the forecast by 1 million people and caps a remarkable comeback from a disastrous rollout last fall that gave rise to predictions the law would collapse in its maiden year.

Instead, the health law, often called Obamacare, has helped bring about the largest increase in insurance coverage in the U.S. in half a century. ...

Estimates of the total gain in insurance coverage nationally are still preliminary. And enrollment is continuing on several state insurance marketplaces, which have extended their deadlines past the April 15 date used by California and the marketplaces operated by the federal government in 36 states.

But new Gallup survey data released this week suggest that as many as 12 million previously uninsured Americans have already gained coverage since last fall.

Just 12.9% of adults nationally lacked coverage in the first half of April, initial data from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index indicate. That’s down from 18% in the third quarter of 2013, just before Americans could start shopping for coverage on the new online marketplaces created by the law.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Suranis

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Suranis »

Fine this under "sad but true"[/break1]com/2014/04/8-million-enrollments-and-president-obama-still-cant-make-dems-campaign-on-health-care/]http://thedailybanter.com/2014/04/8-mil ... alth-care/8 Million Enrollments, and President Obama Still Can’t Make Dems Campaign on Health CareI’m not even saying he’s wrong, but I suspect that part of the reason he responded that way is because he knows that, no matter what he says, no matter how successful Obamacare is, if a trillion people sign up and nobody ever dies again from lack of health insurance, there will be lots of Democrats who will still run away from it like they did in 2010....Let’s not forget that it was Democrats who forced every sucky thing about Obamacare (like the crummy pharma deal and the lack of a public option) to suck, and dicked around until the 11th minute of the 11th hour so that the thing barely got passed, and only after that summer of tea party batshit was all over the news. If the Democrats had their shit together, they could have passed single payer that spring. Hell, with those majorities, they could have put Rachel Maddow on the quarter.And now, at long last, when the law continues to exceed every metric, and every lie and objection of its opponents has been proven false, Democrats still cannot be expected to stand tall with President Obama on his signature achievement, and they probably never will. There’s a list of reasons for that that’s too long to begin at this late hour, but it is a damn shame nonetheless. This will be a moon-shot historic moment. His opponents are what they are, but it shouldn’t be political poison to President Obama’s own side.Some other notes on the presser:... The President also told the world that Eric Cantor is a big fat liar, or words to that effect, and continued to press Republicans on immigration reform. Cantor put out a snippy readout of their Wednesday phone call, and the President convincingly rebutted it.Kick your local dumnass Democratic candidate today. Last para added as it was funny.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

It's a friggin disgrace. ?( And now, at long last, when the law continues to exceed every metric, and every lie and objection of its opponents has been proven false, Democrats still cannot be expected to stand tall with President Obama on his signature achievement, and they probably never will. There’s a list of reasons for that that’s too long to begin at this late hour, but it is a damn shame nonetheless. This will be a moon-shot historic moment. His opponents are what they are, but it shouldn’t be political poison to President Obama’s own side.

Dolly

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Dolly »

GOP lawmaker agrees: It’s ‘absurd’ we never offered Obamacare alternativeAddressing a town hall in his district, a Republican congressman from Florida was unable to defend his party’s failure to offer an alternative health plan to the Affordable Health Care Act, calling their efforts “absurd.”Speaking from the back of the room, a constituent listed features of the new healthcare law, asking Rep. Dennis Ross (R-FL) why repealing them would be a good idea................Explaining that the party’s refusal to submit a healthcare plan could impact their fortunes at the ballot box, Ross continued, saying he “wished they had an alternative.”“I wish we had an alternative. It would make — you know what’s unfortunate? for the next six months, we’re going to go into an election knowing that we’re not going to do anything to address health care. Because we’ve gone so far in the last three years saying no, that we don’t have an alternative to say yes to, ” he said, adding, “I think the American public, when they go to vote, are going to look at credibility before they look at substance, and I think that’s going to have a play in it.”[/break1]rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/18/gop-lawmaker-agrees-its-absurd-we-never-offered-obamacare-alternative/]http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/04/18/g ... ternative/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Roboe

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Roboe »

Let’s not forget that it was Democrats who forced every sucky thing about Obamacare (like the crummy pharma deal and the lack of a public option) to suck, and dicked around until the 11th minute of the 11th hour so that the thing barely got passed, and only after that summer of tea party batshit was all over the news. If the Democrats had their shit together, they could have passed single payer that spring. Hell, with those majorities, they could have put Rachel Maddow on the quarter.I don't know why this supermajority myth keeps coming up, but it's just not true.[link]A fleeting, illusory supermajority,http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... ermajority[/link]And for those 4 months of supermajority, Obama still had to deal with 2 Democratic senators (Lieberman & Nelson) who had both stated they would not accept a single payer option. Hell, in the end, Nelson essentially had to be bribed with massive pork barrel spending into voting for the ACA.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

:-bd

[link]Talking Points Memo,http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/a ... amacare-ad[/link]

Dem Candidate Does The Unthinkable: Touts Full Obamacare Support

Rep. Allyson Schwartz (D-PA) goes where very few Democrats are going this cycle. In a new ad she highlights her work with President Barack Obama on the Affordable Care Act and said the legislation is something she's proud of.

Schwartz, who's one of a number of candidates competing in a heated Democratic gubernatorial primary, also hits Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (R) for not expanding Medicaid under Obamacare in the state.

"It's something I'm proud of because it also closed the gap in prescription drug coverage for seniors," Schwartz said of Obamacare in the ad. "Tom Corbett has decided not to take the Medicaid money. As governor I will take the Medicaid expansion because 500,000 Pennsylvanians need health coverage. It's exactly the kind of leadership I will bring as your next governor."

Schwartz is in a somewhat unique position compared to many other Democratic candidates running in the 2014 election cycle. Corbett is in serious danger of losing the gubernatorial race and the state is regarded as a Democratic stronghold. But Schwartz's campaign is going a step further and argues that the full support of Obamacare is something that other candidates should adopt as well.

magdalen77

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by magdalen77 »

Ummm, Pennsylvania is not a Democratic stronghold. Philadelphia, Allegeny, Luzerne, Lackawanna and Centre counties (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and State College) are, but the rest of PA is Pennsyltucky.I'm probably going to vote for Allyson, though it's kind of a tough choice.

Joseph Robidoux III

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

Ummm, Pennsylvania is not a Democratic stronghold. Philadelphia, Allegeny, Luzerne, Lackawanna and Centre counties (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and State College) are, but the rest of PA is Pennsyltucky.I'm probably going to vote for Allyson, though it's kind of a tough choice.I thought I remember hearing everything between Pittsburg and Philadelphia was Alabama.

ducktape

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by ducktape »

Ummm, Pennsylvania is not a Democratic stronghold. Philadelphia, Allegeny, Luzerne, Lackawanna and Centre counties (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and State College) are, but the rest of PA is Pennsyltucky.I'm probably going to vote for Allyson, though it's kind of a tough choice.I thought I remember hearing everything between Pittsburg and Philadelphia was Alabama.
My brother in Pittsburgh calls it "Pennsyltucky."

magdalen77

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by magdalen77 »

That's what James Carville said. Philadelphia at one end, Pittsburgh at the other and Alabama in between. I learned about Pennsyltucky when I moved down from Northcentral PA to the Philly area to take a job with the Commonwealth. I was told "anywhere west of the Susquehanna is Pennsyltucky". Harrisburg is on the east bank of the Susquehanna.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]Plum Line,http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plu ... alth-care/[/link]

Landrieu: I’ll put GOP foe on defensive on health care

Senator Mary Landrieu is one of the most vulnerable of red state Democratic incumbents, and her reelection challenges — like those of other red state Dems — are said to be all about Obamacare.

But in an interview today, Landrieu vowed to campaign aggressively against GOP foe Bill Cassidy’s opposition to the Medicaid expansion in the state, offered a spirited defense of the law — while acknowledging it has some problems — and even insisted he’d be at a “disadvantage” over the issue.

This week a state legislative committee in Louisiana is expected to consider a measure that would put a constitutional amendment before the voters this fall that, if approved, would direct the state to accept $16 billion in Medicaid money to cover 242,000 people. Even if the ballot measure is not green-lighted by the legislature, Landrieu said she will continue to press the issue — and hit Rep. Cassidy over it.

“That would be a real setback for the people of Louisiana, many of whom are working 30, 40, 50 hours a week but find themselves caught in the Jindal gap because the state refuses to expand health care options to the working poor at little to no expense,” Landrieu told me, referring to Governor Bobby Jindal’s opposition to the expansion.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

Interesting read, speaking of Pittsburgh.

[link]American Prospect,http://prospect.org/article/revolt-cities[/link]: The Revolt of the Cities

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]Think Progress,http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/04 ... e-popular/[/link]

Polling Confirms That Obamacare’s Birth Control Coverage Is Very Popular

About seven in ten Americans support the Obamacare provision that requires employer-sponsored insurance to cover the full cost of contraception, according to a new survey published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. That particular aspect of the health reform law is the subject of a pending Supreme Court challenge, as two for-profit companies claim that covering birth control violates their religious beliefs.

Sixty nine percent of respondents reported they support “mandated coverage of birth control medications in health plans.” The study found that women, African Americans, Latinos and parents living with children under the age of 18 were more likely to support this policy than the people in other demographic groups.

“While the Supreme Court considers if corporations can be required to cover birth control in insurance plans like other preventive care, the American public is abundantly clear: we’re all for it,” Cecile Richards, the president of Planned Parenthood Action Fund, noted in a statement.

The survey results also indicate that Americans are broadly supportive of the concept that all insurance plans should cover certain types of preventative health services. Between 85 percent and 75 percent of respondents indicated that they favor mandatory coverage of mammograms, colonoscopies, recommended vaccinations, mental health care, screenings for diabetes and high cholesterol, and dental care.

Sterngard Friegen

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Preventive.

Dolly

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Dolly »

Ted Cruz's Worst Nightmare Is Coming TrueObamacare is working.Last August, as conservatives barnstormed the country seeking to build support for a cockamamie plan to shut down the U.S. federal government unless Congress voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act, Ted Cruz, the Texas Republican senator, said something surprisingly prescient about the president’s signature health-care law“President Obama wants to get as many Americans addicted to the subsidies because he knows that in modern times, no major entitlement has ever been implemented and then unwound,” he said. The worry, according to Cruz, was that once the ACA went into effect, we’d all be “addicted to the sugar.” Then, it would be too late to roll it back.Cruz’s nightmare, and the left’s long-held dream, has come true. Finally, after years of failed reform efforts, the U.S. government is actually trying to provide affordable health coverage for all. And it’s working, despite Republicans’ relentless attempts to deep-six the law. As a result, the politics of Obamacare will never be the same.The right’s biggest fear was never really, as Cruz’s comments revealed, that Obamacare wouldn’t succeed. It was that it would. [/break1]politico.com/magazine/story/2014/04/obamacares-success-changes-everything-105914.html?ml=po_r#.U1gTPvldXis]http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... 1gTPvldXis
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]WaPo,http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html[/link]

Obama administration prepares to take over Oregon’s broken health insurance exchange

The Obama administration is poised to take over Oregon’s broken health insurance exchange, according to officials familiar with the decision who say that it reflects federal officials’ conclusion that several state-run marketplaces may be too dysfunctional to fix.

In public, the board overseeing Cover Oregon is scheduled to vote Friday whether to join the federal insurance marketplace that sells health plans in most of the country under the Affordable Care Act. Behind the scenes, the officials say, federal and Oregon officials already have agreed that closing down the state marketplace is the best path to rescue what has been the country’s only one to fail so spectacularly that no resident has been able to sign up for coverage online since it opened early last fall.

The collapse of Oregon’s insurance marketplace comes as federal health officials are focusing intensely on faltering exchanges in two other states, Maryland and Massachusetts. ...

According to the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity about discussions that have not been made public, leaders of the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the agency overseeing the insurance marketplaces, advised Oregon officials that they did not believe the state had the ability to repair its own exchange.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]Think Progress,http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/04 ... expansion/[/link]

States Are Running Out Of Excuses To Refuse To Expand Medicaid

Accepting Obamacare’s optional Medicaid expansion could be a better financial deal for states than initially predicted, according to new data from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO).

Expanding Medicaid to extend health coverage to additional low-income Americans will cost about a third of what the CBO projected earlier this year, according to the agency’s updated estimates of Obamacare’s financial impact. Back in early February, the CBO estimated that state spending on Medicaid and CHIP would be $70 billion higher over the next decade because of the expansion. Now, that figure has been revised down to $46 billion.

Ultimately, states will only need to spend about 1.6 percent more on their public health insurance programs than they would have spent in the absence of health reform. And that’s before the potential long-term savings from Medicaid expansion — like the benefits of providing increased mental health treatment to low-income people — are factored in.

“Health reform’s Medicaid expansion, which many opponents wrongly claim will cripple state budgets, is an even better deal for states than previously thought,” Edwin Park, the vice president for health policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, the independent research group that first flagged the revision, noted.

The CBO revised its figure down because the agency predicts that most of the people signing up for Medicaid will be newly eligible under expansion, and the federal government will pick up the cost of their enrollment. States have been worried about what health policy experts call the “woodwork effect” — essentially, as Obamacare enrollment raises people’s awareness about their health options, people who could have signed up for Medicaid before health reform took effect will come out of the woodwork and enroll. States have to pick up a larger portion of the cost for those people. But CBO officials now expect the woodwork effect to be smaller than initially projected, which means states’ costs will also be smaller.

Addie

Obamacare / Health Care

Post by Addie »

[link]TIME Mag,http://time.com/79992/dem-poll-support- ... legrounds/[/link]

Dem Poll: Support for Implementing Obamacare Rises in Battlegrounds

The data bodes well for Democratic strategy heading into the midterms in November

Support in battleground congressional districts for implementing Obamacare has increased sharply in recent months, according to the Democratic pollsters at [link]Democracy Corps,http://www.democracycorps.com/attachmen ... FQ.web.pdf[/link].

In December last year, amid a contentious rollout and weeks of bad news surrounding the problem-plagued healthcare.gov website, support among likely voters in competitive congressional districts for repealing the Affordable Care Act was 45 percent, slightly behind the 49 percent support for keeping and fixing the law. As of April 2014, support for repeal is essentially unchanged at 42 percent, near the margin of error. Support for putting Obamacare into effect with some improvements is a full 10 points higher, at 52 percent.

Even districts currently controlled by the GOP, support for repeal—46 percent last December, compared to 47 percent supporting implementation—is now 42 percent, a full 11 points behind the 53 percent who support allowing the law to go into effect.

The shift seems to have come via Independents, who have seen a massive swing away from supporting repeal by a 12 percent margin in December to supporting implementation by 7 percent today.

Return to “General Politics”