Schools and Education

qbawl

Re: Schools and Education

Post by qbawl » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Dolly wrote:I didn't know where else to put it.
:snippity: :snippity:

State legislators said that the course would be more educational than religious in content.

"Senate Bill 278 would not teach the Bible — it would teach about the Bible," said Democratic State Sen. Gerald A. Neal. "The Bible isn't something we should run away from or to."

The bill's sponsor, Democratic State Sen. Robin L. Webb, introduced the bill to the state Senate on March 3. She said that the proposed Bible class would not be much different than any other literature course. <snip>
http://www.americanews.com/story/religi ... ic-schools
OMFSM, If you buy that I have some Ocean front (sorta) property in Florida that you may find attractive.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:49 pm

qbawl wrote:
Dolly wrote:I didn't know where else to put it.
:snippity: :snippity:

State legislators said that the course would be more educational than religious in content.

"Senate Bill 278 would not teach the Bible — it would teach about the Bible," said Democratic State Sen. Gerald A. Neal. "The Bible isn't something we should run away from or to."

The bill's sponsor, Democratic State Sen. Robin L. Webb, introduced the bill to the state Senate on March 3. She said that the proposed Bible class would not be much different than any other literature course. <snip>
http://www.americanews.com/story/religi ... ic-schools
OMFSM, If you buy that I have some Ocean front (sorta) property in Florida that you may find attractive.
Seriously. I'll believe that course will be non-religious when they launch a course on the historic and textual richness of the Bhagavad-Gita and the Qur'an.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:01 pm

I took a semester in high school. The school did a pretty good job of looking at the stories as stories, the poetry as poetry, and history as history. The class lasted only half the semester as the teacher had a massive huge large heart busting heart attack in the middle of class. It wasn't a nice sight. (Social workers called into school??? - shit, this is 1972, we tough then). The subbie couldn't handle trying to separate the fact from fiction, so....

At least we got out of class for the afternoon for the funeral and wake.

I really enjoyed the class. This was a public high school 1969/70. I could only just imaging how the class would have been taught at the local (St Martin's Catholic Boarding High School for Bad Boys. Kids kicked out of every school in Western Washington ended up there for the Brothers to deal with.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:56 am

SueDB wrote:I took a semester in high school. The school did a pretty good job of looking at the stories as stories, the poetry as poetry, and history as history. The class lasted only half the semester as the teacher had a massive huge large heart busting heart attack in the middle of class. It wasn't a nice sight. (Social workers called into school??? - shit, this is 1972, we tough then). The subbie couldn't handle trying to separate the fact from fiction, so....

At least we got out of class for the afternoon for the funeral and wake.

I really enjoyed the class. This was a public high school 1969/70. I could only just imaging how the class would have been taught at the local (St Martin's Catholic Boarding High School for Bad Boys. Kids kicked out of every school in Western Washington ended up there for the Brothers to deal with.
My kids all went all the way through parochial school, and their religion classes in high school were a lot like the one you describe, except they also added in study about other religions. I'm a cradle Catholic and bounced back and forth from parochial and public schools and I don't ever remember having to study the chapter and verse thing in any of my own religion classes. We had an incredible priest as a teacher and it was much more of a philosophy/history class than any sort of indoctrination. I have absolutely no confidence that the Bible-thumpers passing this law intend to achieve that type of class instruction.

ETA: One of their religion teachers wasn't Catholic but converted at some point after my kids graduated, and at least one of my kids took a religion class that counted as a history credit. Survey of world religions or some such.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:42 am

The Bible? How about a Fundamentals of Religion class? A class that teaches an overview of religions of the world. If taught from a "facts only please" aspect, it might lead to a better understanding of other regions of the world. OTOH I would wager that within five years the people of Rural Kentucky would have this class morphed into a Fundamentals of Christianity class.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:31 pm

I spent 12 years in parochial school. I don't remember much in detail study of the Bible. I do remember that religion class in my freshman year of high school was basically a survey of world religions, lIke SM mentioned. I do remember the priest that taught told us, in regards to other religions, that there are "lots of different routes to the top of the mountain". Of course meaning that Catholicism has the best route, but I surprised me to realize that he meant everyone else was eventually going to get there too.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Dolly wrote: :snippity:
The bill's sponsor, Democratic State Sen. Robin L. Webb, introduced the bill to the state Senate on March 3. She said that the proposed Bible class would not be much different than any other literature course.<snip>
http://www.americanews.com/story/religi ... ic-schools[/quote]
Will I get a literary course on sing-songing Quran verses? Of course in original Arabic with Spanish English translations. And while we're at it, please include a reading of the webpages for the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

PS. does above item also need a crosspost in "Democrats behaving badly"?

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:14 pm

Our younger daughter who had been waitressing and doing substitute teaching while looking for a steady teaching job seems to have succeeded.

Last week she signed a contract to be a full-time salaried teacher's aid in a charter school in the field of special ed. Since then she has had rocket-like advancement.

She started Monday. On Tuesday (yesterday) they put her in as a substitute teacher for a social studies teacher with whom they had been having problems. Today (her 3rd day at the school) they offered her a contract as a full-time social studies teacher. At this rate by Friday she will be the principal. ;)

She has a degree in social studies teaching so that is a good fit. Now she just has to get her teaching certificate. The only thing she is missing for that is student teaching which she can do at that school.

In other news, our son-in-law the lawyer has left the DA's office and is out on his own doing criminal defense, mostly public defender work but also some paying clients. If any of you get arrested in Wichita Falls, TX I can give you his number. ;)
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:30 pm

I s'pose I'll wait till she's superintendent of schools next week to congratulate her. :blink:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Volkonski wrote: In other news, our son-in-law the lawyer has left the DA's office and is out on his own doing criminal defense, mostly public defender work but also some paying clients. If any of you get arrested in Wichita Falls, TX I can give you his number. ;)
If I am ever in Wichita Falls TX, it's because I was arrested.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:24 pm

For what it's worth, in my son's AP Lit class the have to know all the basic bible stories since those are so often recurring themes in classic literature.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:40 pm

Good news about the Volkonski family.

Congratulations to all. :thumbs:
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Chilidog wrote:For what it's worth, in my son's AP Lit class the have to know all the basic bible stories since those are so often recurring themes in classic literature.
So would that include, for example, whether there was actually a Jericho existent in the right time frame for Joshua to have fit the battle of? :think:
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Mon May 02, 2016 4:14 pm

MAY 2, 2016
94 out of 97 Detroit Public Schools closed due to teacher ‘sickouts’

Ninety-four out of 97 Detroit Public Schools are closed Monday because instructors called in sick, school district spokeswoman Michelle A. Zdrodowski said. The so-called sickout came after teachers found out they would not be paid for two months of work.

Over the weekend, teachers learned they would not get salaries for May and June, according to Ivy Bailey, the interim president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers. Instructors were going to rally at 10 a.m. ET at the district’s central administration building.
It’s unclear how many students Monday’s sickout affects, but about 46,000 students are enrolled in Detroit Public Schools, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The sickouts aren’t necessary, said district official Steven Rhodes.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder appointed Rhodes, a retired bankruptcy judge, in February to be the transition manager for Detroit Public Schools as state lawmakers work on improving academics and finances in the state’s largest school district, according to Snyder’s office.

The district has been in crisis for months. It has about $515 million in operating debt and is spending about $1,100 per student on debt service annually, the governor’s office has said. <SNIP>
http://wtkr.com/2016/05/02/94-out-of-97 ... -sickouts/

FACEBOOK: detroit public schools teacher sickout
Detroit Public Schools: Teachers Stage 'Sickout' in Protest Over Pay, Closing Most Schools
The sickout, staged due to the pending cancellation of summer programs and the lack of funds for salaries, was held Monday, prompting the closure of 94 out of the 97 public schools in Detroit.
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ProudObot

Post by ProudObot » Mon May 02, 2016 4:48 pm

Dolly wrote:
MAY 2, 2016
94 out of 97 Detroit Public Schools closed due to teacher ‘sickouts’

Ninety-four out of 97 Detroit Public Schools are closed Monday because instructors called in sick, school district spokeswoman Michelle A. Zdrodowski said. The so-called sickout came after teachers found out they would not be paid for two months of work.

Over the weekend, teachers learned they would not get salaries for May and June, according to Ivy Bailey, the interim president of the Detroit Federation of Teachers. Instructors were going to rally at 10 a.m. ET at the district’s central administration building.
It’s unclear how many students Monday’s sickout affects, but about 46,000 students are enrolled in Detroit Public Schools, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The sick outs aren't necessary, said district official Steven Rhodes.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder appointed Rhodes, a retired bankruptcy judge, in February to be the transition manager for Detroit Public Schools as state lawmakers work on improving academics and finances in the state’s largest school district, according to Snyder’s office.

Hmmmm. I wonder if Rhodes' salary is also being withheld. :roll:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:20 pm

Dolly wrote:
FACEBOOK: detroit public schools teacher sickout
Detroit Public Schools: Teachers Stage 'Sickout' in Protest Over Pay, Closing Most Schools
The sickout, staged due to the pending cancellation of summer programsand the lack of funds for salaries, was held Monday, prompting the closure of 94 out of the 97 public schools in Detroit.
A specially "hot" summer in the city with several thousands of kids not spending time on some sensible task?

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue May 10, 2016 9:11 pm

http://budgetupdate16-17.usd259.org/mod ... id=5190341

sam brownback can eat a bag if dicks

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:57 pm

And now some good news-

U.S. High School Graduation Rate Hits Record High, White House Says

http://time.com/4533092/high-school-gra ... picks=true
More kids in the U.S. are graduating from high school than ever before, as the national graduation rate has risen to 83.2%.

The national high school graduation rate has risen steadily since the 2010-2011 school year when the national graduation rate was 79%.

Across all demographic groups the graduation rate has ticked up; between the 2010 and 2015 school years, the graduation rate among black students rose by 7.6 points, 6.6 points among American Indians, and 6.8 points among Hispanic students. Graduation rates have also increased among white and Asian American students.

:snippity:

Speaking at Banneker, which had 100% graduation rate last year, the president said the progress we’ve seen is due to the work of teachers, students, and investments in early childhood education. According to the Washington Post, the D.C. graduation rate reached an all time high in 2016 with 69% of seniors earning their diploma within four years. The president stressed the importance of getting an education after high school reminding students to fill out the federal student aid form called FAFSA, which students access money for college.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot tells the story of successful high schools in The Good High School: Portraits of Character and Courage. The one major thing that the President left out, although he surely knows it, is that the culture of the school makes a huge difference. If academic accomplishment is not valued, students will not succeed.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Mother Jones: The GOP’s Biggest Charter School Experiment Just Imploded

How a washed-up lobbyist built a charter school empire and siphoned millions from public schools.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Ohio Senate passes bill mandating students learn cursive by end of 5th grade
BY ARIS FOLLEY - 12/08/18 07:34 PM EST
The Ohio Senate passed a bill Thursday requiring each student in the state to be able to write in cursive by the end of the fifth grade.

The measure, also known as House Bill 58, was passed by the Ohio Senate and would require the state’s Department of Education to craft a new curriculum for students before the start of next year.

Under the new measure, students in the state would be required to legibly write letters in print by the end of third grade and write in cursive before going on to sixth grade.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... end-of-5th

Which font did you say I need to use ??? ;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:30 pm

VICE News wrote:
Published on 14 Apr 2019

On a recent cold Sunday morning, 13 college students arrived here for an unusual Spring Break: a weeklong date to get to know one of the countless rural towns struggling to attract teachers.

The trip was part of a feeder program, of sorts, created at Montana State University to address the state's education crisis: Nearly half of all Montana schools now employ teachers who aren’t certified, and almost all of those schools are in rural areas.

“Even 10 years ago, they were still pulling in people, getting applications, being more selective about who we can hire,” said Dr. Tena Versland, a professor at Montana State University who helped found the program two years ago. “Now it’s 'Just find someone.'”

The root of the problem is a decades-long inability to hold onto young people, who've been leaving small towns for bigger cities and never coming back. The shift is especially pronounced in the Midwest, where 85% of rural counties are shrinking.

Shelby, a town with about 700 families, one K-12 school, and a small main street that runs only a few blocks, has tried everything to fill the vacancies that pop up almost every year, with little success. So they weren’t about to let this opportunity of courting 13 aspiring teachers go to waste.

VICE News Tonight was there for the entire week, watching the town roll out the red carpet for the college students.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcI2qyP_uj4

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon May 06, 2019 9:29 am

Mrs. V's 2nd brother's son and daughter went to college in NC under a program that provided free tuition if they taught for 4 years in a rural NC school after graduating. They did so. Saved a lot of money and got a first hand look at what living in a rural area is like.

They both moved back to more urban areas after the four years was completed.

Return to “General Politics”