I will disable the forum and update the software tomorrow morning, around 6 or 6:30 a.m. "This version is a maintenance release ... which introduces a number of improvements aimed at enhancing the user experience and overall stability of the software and resolves some issues noticed in previous releases."
Dismiss this announcement by clicking the X on top right, hover over this announcement to see the X.

The death penalty

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The death penalty

Post by raison de arizona »

much ado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:09 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:00 pm Veterinarians do not consider it a good method for euthanasia.
Any reason given?
The American Veterinary Medical Association wrote in 2020 euthanasia guidelines that nitrogen hypoxia is not an acceptable euthanasia method for most mammals because the anoxic environment "is distressing."
The American Veterinary Medical Association discourages the use of nitrogen in euthanizing animals, in part because of the difficulties of keeping oxygen low.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

The death penalty

Post by AndyinPA »

much ado wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:09 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:00 pm Veterinarians do not consider it a good method for euthanasia.
Any reason given?
https://apnews.com/article/alabama-nitr ... 4f453c50f3
The American Veterinary Medical Association wrote in 2020 euthanasia guidelines that nitrogen hypoxia is not an acceptable euthanasia method for most mammals because the anoxic environment “is distressing.” And experts appointed by the U.N. Human Rights Council cautioned they believe the execution method could violate the prohibition on torture.

Dr. Joel Zivot, an anesthesiologist who as one of four professionals who filed the U.N. complaint that led to the warning, said Smith is at risk for seizures and choking to death on his own vomit. He said any leak under the mask could prolong the execution.

“A leak will do two things. It will potentially endanger people around. … Air could then get under the mask as well,” Zivot said. “And so the execution could be prolonged or maybe he might never die, he just could get injured.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

The death penalty

Post by Volkonski »

Don't use a mask. Use an airtight chamber.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The death penalty

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:15 pm Don't use a mask. Use an airtight chamber.
A bullet to the head would be quicker and cheaper....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

The death penalty

Post by Flatpoint High »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:26 pm
Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:15 pm Don't use a mask. Use an airtight chamber.
A bullet to the head would be quicker and cheaper....
and more humane
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The death penalty

Post by raison de arizona »

I'm pretty sure I'm against gas chambers, in general. ;)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

The death penalty

Post by Suranis »

I was hearing about this on the news in Ireland, and I said to my Mom that hanging was more humane than this.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

The death penalty

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... th-penalty
The relentless pursuit of “non-stop executions” by a rump of US death penalty states is exposing prison staff to extreme levels of psychological and physical stress, according to traumatized corrections officers who are appealing for help.

Though capital punishment is generally on the wane in America, with only five states carrying out executions last year, those states that remain active are showing a renewed determination. In some states, the pace of judicial killings is now so intense that prison guards are kept in an almost permanent state of readiness, with mock executions staged on a rolling basis.

In Oklahoma, officers at the state penitentiary in McAlester, which houses the death chamber, are so stretched by the schedule of 25 executions set in 2022 by the Republican-controlled state that the state’s own attorney general and the head of the prison service have appealed to the courts for a more staggered approach. They have requested that the gap between executions be widened from 60 to 90 days, so far to no avail.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The death penalty

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:45 pm https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... th-penalty
The relentless pursuit of “non-stop executions” by a rump of US death penalty states is exposing prison staff to extreme levels of psychological and physical stress, according to traumatized corrections officers who are appealing for help.

:snippity:
Blood for the Blood god, Skulls for the Skull Throne.....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The death penalty

Post by RTH10260 »

South Carolina executes first man in 13 years despite new evidence of innocence
Khalil Divine Black Sun Allah, 46, killed by lethal injection days after state’s key witness recanted critical testimony

Sam Levin
Sat 21 Sep 2024 02.41 CEST

South Carolina executed a man on death row on Friday, days after the key witness for the prosecution came forward to say he lied at trial and the state was putting to death an innocent man.

Khalil Divine Black Sun Allah, 46, was killed by lethal injection, pronounced dead at 6.55pm, according to the Associated Press, which was one of several media witnesses to the execution.

His lawyers had filed emergency motions for a delay this week, citing new testimony suggesting he was wrongfully convicted. But the state supreme court rejected the pleas and Henry McMaster, the Republican governor, announced just before the execution that he would not be granting clemency.

Allah, who was previously known as Freddie Owens, was strapped to a gurney in the death chamber when the curtain opened for media to view the proceeding, the AP reported. He appeared to mouth a goodbye to his lawyer, who smiled at him. Allah seemed to lose consciousness after roughly one minute.

His breathing became shallow and his face twitched for several minutes before he stopped moving. He was declared dead roughly 10 minutes later. Allah made no final statement.

Allah’s execution was the first in 13 years in South Carolina and could be the start of a rapid series of executions in the coming months.

The state gave Allah a choice of lethal injection, electrocution or firing squad, but Allah objected to signing off on a method, saying that amounted to suicide and violated his Muslim faith. His attorney chose lethal injection for him.

Allah was convicted of the armed robbery and murder of convenience store cashier Irene Graves in November 1997. He was 19 at the time. Graves, a 41-year-old mother of three, was shot in the head during the robbery. Allah has long asserted his innocence.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -execution
John Thomas8

The death penalty

Post by John Thomas8 »

Red states enjoy murdering citizens, they do it so often when proof exists the victim didn't do it.

I get the legal process, but when it's abused like South Carolina, Texas and Missouri do it with disregard to the truth things get obscene.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The death penalty

Post by neonzx »

I abhor the 'death penalty' which means I will never be selected as a juror on a capital case. Nope, I would not recommend death in the penalty phase.

Florida still has the death penalty.
pipistrelle

The death penalty

Post by pipistrelle »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:42 am Red states enjoy murdering citizens, they do it so often when proof exists the victim didn't do it.

I get the legal process, but when it's abused like South Carolina, Texas and Missouri do it with disregard to the truth things get obscene.
One of the many problems with the death penalty is its inconsistency with relation to the crime. One murder: death penalty. Multiple murders, cannibalism, etc. (Dahmer): Prison. In this case, given there was enough evidence to think this man might have been innocent, what are the state court and governor guilty of?
bob

The death penalty

Post by bob »

South Carolina executed a man on death row on Friday, days after the key witness for the prosecution came forward to say he lied at trial and the state was putting to death an innocent man.

His lawyers had filed emergency motions for a delay this week, citing new testimony suggesting he was wrongfully convicted
Allah's co-conspirator testified against him. A few weeks ago, the co-conspirator alleged he had an unwritten plea agreement to avoid the death penalty (and the prosecutor didn't disclose this agreement).

Courts are reluctant to accept a witness' belated recantation.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”