Voter Rights - Voter Suppression - War on Voting

NMgirl

Re: Voter Rights - Voter Suppression - War on Voting

Post by NMgirl » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Erik Bilstad @erikbilstadWTMJ

Gov Walker tells @jeffwagner620 he is not appealing the special elex order to SCOWis. 'I will call the special elex for June 12th." "This is a waste of taxpayer money."

Gov Walker will not appeal special elections order to SCOWIs. AG Brad Schimel tells me the legislature didn't want to move forward with changing the law. "That left us with nowhere to go in terms of an appeal)."
I wonder what spanner the Koch Bros Walker will throw into the works. Polls open midnight to 1 a.m.? He's capable of anything. But:
:thumbs: anyway.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Mastodon piss. It's from all those melted glaciers
Ah. What about Minnesota, then? Melted glaciers only in Michele Bachmann territory?
Hamm's

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 pm
NMgirl wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Mastodon piss. It's from all those melted glaciers
Ah. What about Minnesota, then? Melted glaciers only in Michele Bachmann territory?
Hamm's
:rotflmao: Not Leinenkugel's?

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 am

March has been a good month for voting rights. :thumbs:
Judge orders Gov. Scott, Cabinet to create system to restore felons’ voting rights

A judge on Tuesday ordered Gov. Rick Scott and the Cabinet to dismantle Florida’s “fatally flawed” system of arbitrarily restoring voting rights to felons and to replace it by April 26.

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker in Tallahassee issued a permanent injunction in support of the Fair Elections Legal Network, which sued the state a year ago. The group successfully challenged the constitutionality of the state’s 150-year-old voting rights restoration process for felons in the nation’s third-largest state.

:snippity:
Florida is one of four states that permanently strips the right to vote from convicted felons. They cannot register to vote until their voting rights are restored.

Florida’s restoration system disproportionately affects African-Americans, who overwhelmingly favor candidates of the Democratic Party.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... 63494.html

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:07 pm

March continues on its :thumbs: roll.

SPLC files federal lawsuit to restore voting rights of convicted felons

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/37823225 ... ted-felons

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 pm

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -in-court/
Voting Rights Advocates Just Won a Big Victory in Court
The ruling is a setback for conservative groups trying to purge voter rolls across the country.

The case is one of many filed by the American Civil Rights Union, which claims that numerous counties throughout the country are shirking their duty under federal law to remove ineligible voters. One of the leaders of the effort is J. Christian Adams, a former member of President Donald Trump’s election integrity commission. Adams, a conservative legal activist, claims that voter fraud exists in the United States on a large scale, particularly among non-citizens, though his research on the matter has proved dubious at best. (The overwhelming weight of the evidence suggests that voter fraud is extremely rare.) Adams is an ally of Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, and both have advocated for laws that force voters to show proof of citizenship in order to register.

In her decision Friday, Judge Beth Bloom rejected key arguments put forward by ACRU. Among them was ACRU’s contention that Broward County had more registered voters than eligible citizens, which the group put forward as proof that the superintendent of elections is not fulfilling her list-maintenance responsibilities. Some experts have raised doubts about this assertion, and Bloom agreed with those critics, calling the calculations of ACRU’s expert witness “misleading” and the evidence put forward by ACRU on the topic “inaccurate.”

ACRU had also argued that the standard for what qualifies as a “reasonable effort” to maintain accurate rolls—the legal requirement—should depend on the population of a county: A large county with an ever-changing population and a high registration rate compared to the eligible population (the same statistic Bloom found unreliable) should have to undertake more list maintenance efforts than one whose population is more static. Such a standard of reasonableness could result in more purging in urban areas, which often have more voters of color and are more likely to back Democrats. Bloom found that this interpretation of reasonableness would be unworkable. “ACRU’s proposed definition of ‘reasonable efforts’ is too subjective and would lead to an arbitrary, non-uniform, unworkable, and unpredictable application,” she concluded.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 pm

:cheer1: :cheer1: :cheer1:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Salon - Amanda Marcotte
Arizona Republicans fight to protect dark-money donors from voters

Voters in Tempe overwhelmingly demanded a campaign disclosure law. GOP legislators found a way to shut it down

American cities have become increasingly liberal, while the Republican Party controls most state governments. In an effort to keep blue cities from passing local ordinances reflecting their values, Republicans legislators in state capitals have embraced pre-emption laws, preventing city governments from enacting all kinds of things: Protecting their residents from discrimination, for instance, or increasing the minimum wage.

Now Republicans in the Arizona state legislature are using that power to protect the flow of dark money — cash spent on campaigns from secret donors — into state and local elections. It turns out some powerful national interests are involved in making sure that local communities don't know who is spending money to influence their elections.

Last month, the city of Tempe, the home of Arizona State University and long a liberal bastion, passed a ballot initiative -- supported by 91 percent of voters -- that would require any group spending more than $1,000 on a local election to disclose its donors. (Nearby Phoenix is considering a similar bill.) In a swift and startling response, both houses of the state legislature passed HB 2153, which forbids Tempe or any other cities that pass such laws from enforcing them. Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican and a major beneficiary of generous dark money spending, is expected to sign the bill soon.

“When you have a party that’s becoming more reliant on this handful of secretive special interest donors, you see them reacting to protect where their money’s coming from," Adam Bozzi, the communications director for End Citizens United, told Salon.

¡Sterngard! come home.

tencats

Post by tencats » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Kris Kobach held in contempt of court for disobeying federal judge's orders
By Tierney Sneed | April 18, 2018
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... empt-order
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach was held in contempt of court for disobeying a federal judge's orders in the proof-of-citizenship voter registration case.
The judge railed against Kobach's failure to send postcards to voters whose registrations were restored by her previous move to block the proof-of-citizenship requirement for the 2016 election.
Kobach was ordered to cover the challenger's attorney fees.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 pm

tencats wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm
Kris Kobach held in contempt of court for disobeying federal judge's orders
By Tierney Sneed | April 18, 2018
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach was held in contempt of court for disobeying a federal judge's orders in the proof-of-citizenship voter registration case.
The judge railed against Kobach's failure to send postcards to voters whose registrations were restored by her previous move to block the proof-of-citizenship requirement for the 2016 election.
Kobach was ordered to cover the challenger's attorney fees.
:thumbs: This makes me hopeful for our future.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Mother Jones: It’s Not Just Kobach: Three Vote-Suppressing Secretaries of State Are Overseeing Their Own Elections

The glaring conflicts of interest are only getting worse.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Return to “General Politics”