Voter Rights - Voter Suppression - War on Voting

NMgirl

Re: Voter Rights - Voter Suppression - War on Voting

Post by NMgirl » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Erik Bilstad @erikbilstadWTMJ

Gov Walker tells @jeffwagner620 he is not appealing the special elex order to SCOWis. 'I will call the special elex for June 12th." "This is a waste of taxpayer money."

Gov Walker will not appeal special elections order to SCOWIs. AG Brad Schimel tells me the legislature didn't want to move forward with changing the law. "That left us with nowhere to go in terms of an appeal)."
I wonder what spanner the Koch Bros Walker will throw into the works. Polls open midnight to 1 a.m.? He's capable of anything. But:
:thumbs: anyway.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 pm

NMgirl wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Mastodon piss. It's from all those melted glaciers
Ah. What about Minnesota, then? Melted glaciers only in Michele Bachmann territory?
Hamm's

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 pm
NMgirl wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:15 pm
Chilidog wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:32 pm

Mastodon piss. It's from all those melted glaciers
Ah. What about Minnesota, then? Melted glaciers only in Michele Bachmann territory?
Hamm's
:rotflmao: Not Leinenkugel's?

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:59 am

March has been a good month for voting rights. :thumbs:
Judge orders Gov. Scott, Cabinet to create system to restore felons’ voting rights

A judge on Tuesday ordered Gov. Rick Scott and the Cabinet to dismantle Florida’s “fatally flawed” system of arbitrarily restoring voting rights to felons and to replace it by April 26.

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker in Tallahassee issued a permanent injunction in support of the Fair Elections Legal Network, which sued the state a year ago. The group successfully challenged the constitutionality of the state’s 150-year-old voting rights restoration process for felons in the nation’s third-largest state.

:snippity:
Florida is one of four states that permanently strips the right to vote from convicted felons. They cannot register to vote until their voting rights are restored.

Florida’s restoration system disproportionately affects African-Americans, who overwhelmingly favor candidates of the Democratic Party.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politic ... 63494.html

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:07 pm

March continues on its :thumbs: roll.

SPLC files federal lawsuit to restore voting rights of convicted felons

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/37823225 ... ted-felons

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 pm

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -in-court/
Voting Rights Advocates Just Won a Big Victory in Court
The ruling is a setback for conservative groups trying to purge voter rolls across the country.

The case is one of many filed by the American Civil Rights Union, which claims that numerous counties throughout the country are shirking their duty under federal law to remove ineligible voters. One of the leaders of the effort is J. Christian Adams, a former member of President Donald Trump’s election integrity commission. Adams, a conservative legal activist, claims that voter fraud exists in the United States on a large scale, particularly among non-citizens, though his research on the matter has proved dubious at best. (The overwhelming weight of the evidence suggests that voter fraud is extremely rare.) Adams is an ally of Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, and both have advocated for laws that force voters to show proof of citizenship in order to register.

In her decision Friday, Judge Beth Bloom rejected key arguments put forward by ACRU. Among them was ACRU’s contention that Broward County had more registered voters than eligible citizens, which the group put forward as proof that the superintendent of elections is not fulfilling her list-maintenance responsibilities. Some experts have raised doubts about this assertion, and Bloom agreed with those critics, calling the calculations of ACRU’s expert witness “misleading” and the evidence put forward by ACRU on the topic “inaccurate.”

ACRU had also argued that the standard for what qualifies as a “reasonable effort” to maintain accurate rolls—the legal requirement—should depend on the population of a county: A large county with an ever-changing population and a high registration rate compared to the eligible population (the same statistic Bloom found unreliable) should have to undertake more list maintenance efforts than one whose population is more static. Such a standard of reasonableness could result in more purging in urban areas, which often have more voters of color and are more likely to back Democrats. Bloom found that this interpretation of reasonableness would be unworkable. “ACRU’s proposed definition of ‘reasonable efforts’ is too subjective and would lead to an arbitrary, non-uniform, unworkable, and unpredictable application,” she concluded.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 pm

:cheer1: :cheer1: :cheer1:

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Salon - Amanda Marcotte
Arizona Republicans fight to protect dark-money donors from voters

Voters in Tempe overwhelmingly demanded a campaign disclosure law. GOP legislators found a way to shut it down

American cities have become increasingly liberal, while the Republican Party controls most state governments. In an effort to keep blue cities from passing local ordinances reflecting their values, Republicans legislators in state capitals have embraced pre-emption laws, preventing city governments from enacting all kinds of things: Protecting their residents from discrimination, for instance, or increasing the minimum wage.

Now Republicans in the Arizona state legislature are using that power to protect the flow of dark money — cash spent on campaigns from secret donors — into state and local elections. It turns out some powerful national interests are involved in making sure that local communities don't know who is spending money to influence their elections.

Last month, the city of Tempe, the home of Arizona State University and long a liberal bastion, passed a ballot initiative -- supported by 91 percent of voters -- that would require any group spending more than $1,000 on a local election to disclose its donors. (Nearby Phoenix is considering a similar bill.) In a swift and startling response, both houses of the state legislature passed HB 2153, which forbids Tempe or any other cities that pass such laws from enforcing them. Gov. Doug Ducey, a Republican and a major beneficiary of generous dark money spending, is expected to sign the bill soon.

“When you have a party that’s becoming more reliant on this handful of secretive special interest donors, you see them reacting to protect where their money’s coming from," Adam Bozzi, the communications director for End Citizens United, told Salon.

¡Sterngard! come home.

tencats

Post by tencats » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Kris Kobach held in contempt of court for disobeying federal judge's orders
By Tierney Sneed | April 18, 2018
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... empt-order
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach was held in contempt of court for disobeying a federal judge's orders in the proof-of-citizenship voter registration case.
The judge railed against Kobach's failure to send postcards to voters whose registrations were restored by her previous move to block the proof-of-citizenship requirement for the 2016 election.
Kobach was ordered to cover the challenger's attorney fees.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:45 pm

tencats wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:40 pm
Kris Kobach held in contempt of court for disobeying federal judge's orders
By Tierney Sneed | April 18, 2018
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach was held in contempt of court for disobeying a federal judge's orders in the proof-of-citizenship voter registration case.
The judge railed against Kobach's failure to send postcards to voters whose registrations were restored by her previous move to block the proof-of-citizenship requirement for the 2016 election.
Kobach was ordered to cover the challenger's attorney fees.
:thumbs: This makes me hopeful for our future.

"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Mother Jones: It’s Not Just Kobach: Three Vote-Suppressing Secretaries of State Are Overseeing Their Own Elections

The glaring conflicts of interest are only getting worse.

¡Sterngard! come home.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Taniel

Verified account

@Taniel
Follow Follow @Taniel
More
Georgia's Secretary of State Brian Kemp (now running for Gov) has purged voter rolls & is now freezing tens thousands of voter registration forms through "exact match" tests. 70% of the frozen registrations are from black applicants, the AP reports. https://www.wabe.org/voting-rights-beco ... nors-race/
:madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:45 pm

I have 3 friends in NY who voted absentee and paid for tracking on them. NY claims they never received them. I have probably 35-50 friends in NY state, and (at least) 3 of them did not get their vote registered. That's a pretty large percentage.

Reports are trickling in from my Louisiana friends that their names have disappeared from the voter rolls.

These are people who have NEVER missed voting in any election, and actively campaign for everything from city councilman to president.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:45 pm

I don't trust voting by mail at all. I am registered as an Independent, and I fully believe my vote in Florida would not be counted.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 pm

This is my current favourite argument for compulsory voting: if voting is compulsory, governments simply cannot enact legislation to make it harder to vote. It's a safeguard on democracy.

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 pm

I posted last night in the North Dakota thread that Native Americans are being removed from the registered voter lists. The state is requiring people to provide a residential address - no po boxes, etc. Native Americans represent about 70% of the voters being purged. No surprise - Heitkamp has strong NA support.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Arrest throws Waller County voter registration dispute into further confusion
A field director for Democratic congressional candidate Mike Siegel was arrested at the Waller County Courthouse Wednesday after he delivered a letter demanding the county update the status of students at a nearby college whose registrations were thrown into question the day before.

Jacob Aronowitz, Siegel’s field director, was released after about two hours, according to Lisa Seger, the Democratic nominee for Texas House District 3, who arrived at the courthouse after the arrest. :snippity:

Confusion arose Tuesday on the nearby campus of Prairie View A&M University when it was discovered that thousands of students could have registered under the wrong address, putting their voter registrations in jeopardy.

Tuesday was the last day to register for the November elections.

The mixup stems partly from how students get their mail: Because the university does not have individual mailboxes for students on campus, it provides a single post office box for every student.

In 2016, a group of university officials, the county and the local political parties agreed to have students write down 700 or 100 University Drive as their residence when registering to vote.

One of the addresses is for the university, the other for the campus bookstore.

In the March primary election, however, Eason noticed the 700 University Drive address puts students in the City Hall precinct, not the one on campus. The officials decided to let students vote at the wrong polling place — the one on campus — but required them to fill out a change in address form.

The letter was signed by Siegel, Seger, Mattox and Waller County Democratic Party Chair Rosa Harris.

“We hereby demand that Waller County update its registrations of any student currently registered at 100 or 700 University to reflect that they are part of precinct 309,” the letter reads. “And further, we demand that Waller County require no further documentation of affected students.”

The letter goes on to say that the signees believe the action is “appropriate” because the county “advised students to use 100 or 700 University as their ‘Residence Address’ despite knowing that those students actually resided on campus, in precinct 309.”
“It was the actions of the County which led to students being registered in the wrong precinct,” the letter says. “Therefore, the County should take immediate steps to correct the effort resulting from its action…”

Waller County is 70.5 percent white, according to Census data, while 82 percent of Prairie View A&M’s student body is black, university data from spring 2018 show. The county voted 63 to 34 percent for Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton in 2016.
Easy datase fix, globally change 100 University Drive to 700 University Drive. Unless you don’t want students to vote. Black students. Students who have been disenfranchised before.
Prairie View A&M and the county have a fraught history with voter registration issues. In a 1979 case that reached the U.S. Supreme Court, Prairie View students secured the right to vote on the college campus without filling out a residency questionnair. (sic)

Thirteen years later, a grand jury indicted 14 students on voting fraud charges that were later dropped, but prompted student marches. Then-state Sen. Rodney Ellis, a Houston Democrat, asked the Justice Department to investigate the charges.
https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 297719.php

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Then there’s North Dakota.

In Senate battleground, Native American voting rights activists fight back against voter ID restrictions
Native American voting rights activists in North Dakota have launched an audacious plan aimed at pushing back against a Supreme Court ruling that threatens the reelection of Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.) — and that could decide the fate of the Senate in the process.

The high court decided 6 to 2 Tuesday to leave in place a state law that requires residents to provide an ID displaying a residential address rather than a P.O. box number to vote. Republican lawmakers who pushed for the measure say the rule is designed to combat voter fraud.

But tribal officials and Democrats say it appears aimed at making it harder for thousands of Native Americans to vote, particularly those who live on reservations without conventional street names. The law specifically bans the use of P.O. boxes as an alternative form of address, rendering many tribal ID cards invalid.

Native American activists have responded with plans to create addresses on the spot for those who need them on Election Day.

Tribal officials will stand outside polling stations on Nov. 6 with laptops and access to rural addressing software and a shared database of voter names. North Dakota is the only state that does not require voter registration, meaning eligible voters can generally show up at the polls and cast a ballot so long as they have proper identification.

O.J. Semans, chief executive of Four Directions, a national Native American voting rights group, said the strategy was “legally watertight” and necessary to counter the “devastating” court ruling.
The first flash point in the legal battle over voter ID laws came in 2013 in the wake of Heitkamp’s election, when the state legislature argued the system in place at the time facilitated voter fraud. Legislators banned alternatives for those without ID, including affidavits signed under penalty of perjury or tribal officials testifying that a voter was a local resident. They then removed college and military cards from the list of acceptable documents and passed another law requiring that a person’s ID contain a current residential address.
More at the linky. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 9947905aab

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:36 pm

From the ACLU:
Since the U.S. Postal Service doesn’t provide residential mail delivery in remote areas, many members of North Dakota’s Native American tribes list their mailing addresses, like P.O. boxes, on their IDs. And some also don’t have supplemental documentation, like a utility bill or bank statement, because of homelessness or poverty. Now, because the Supreme Court refused to block the law, people who show up at their polling station with a P.O. box on their ID will be turned away.

The Native American Rights Fund sued North Dakota in early 2016, arguing that the law was unconstitutional and a violation of the Voting Rights Act. A federal district judge agreed, issuing a ruling in April that blocked the ID requirement, but the Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit overturned that ruling in a 2-1 decision in September. The Supreme Court’s denial of the Native American Rights Fund’s emergency appeal means that the law will stand, creating a huge amount of confusion for thousands of voters whose IDs were valid for the June primaries but are no longer adequate for them to vote on Nov. 6.

In her dissent, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg pointed out exactly what’s at stake for North Dakota — 70,000 residents of the state lack an ID that qualifies under the new rules. That’s nearly 20 percent of the typical turnout for a midterm election. The ruling, Ginsburg said, “may lead to voters finding out at the polling place that they cannot vote because their formerly valid ID is now insufficient.”

In an election that may wind up being decided by just a few thousand votes, the court’s decision could be deeply consequential for the country, not just those who live in North Dakota.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/voting-rights ... -americans

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Cross post from Georgia governor's thread

http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p1034262

And we have a lawsuit.

https://campaignlegal.org/sites/default ... 0FINAL.pdf

Attached Complaint

Maddow tweet.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1050800846441762816
Rachel Maddow MSNBCVerified account @maddow
5h5 hours ago

From the new lawsuit filed against Georgia Secretary of State (and GOP candidate for Governor) Brian Kemp...

This is on Page 5: of the >50,000 voter registrations Kemp's office has put "on hold" before the election, less than 10% are from white voters:
Edit:
Press Release

https://campaignlegal.org/update/coalit ... ncellation

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Seems Waller County gave up.

Mike Siegel for Congress (TX-10)Verified account @SiegelForTexas
4h4 hours ago
US House candidate, TX-10

Great news!

After the organizing of students, community leaders, @RepAlGreen, @JacksonLeeTX18 and others, Waller County agreed to allow @PVAMU students to vote without imposing any additional requirements.

Thank you @maddow for shining a light! #TX10

Mike Siegel for Congress (TX-10)Verified account @SiegelForTexas
US House candidate, TX-10

"[N]o students will be impeded, hampered, or otherwise delayed in exercising their constitutional right to cast a ballot in the upcoming General Election. No change of address form or statement of residence will be required prior to voting." #TX10 #Maddow #PVAMU
4:16 PM - 12 Oct 2018

"Terror must be maintained or the Empire is doomed."

-Evil Spock

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:17 am

The Guardian OpEd
Rigging the vote: how the American right is on the way to permanent minority rule

The American right is in the midst of a formidable project: installing permanent minority rule, guaranteeing control of the government even as the number of actual human beings who support their political program dwindles.

Voter suppression is one, but only one, loathsome tactic in this effort, which goes far beyond just winning one election. Minority rule is the result of interlocking and mutually reinforcing strategies which must be understood together to understand the full picture of what the American right wants to achieve. ...

Exacerbating voter suppression is the ongoing partisan gerrymandering effort – the redrawing of electoral maps to favor one party over another. After the 2010 census, the Wisconsin legislature (controlled by Republicans) drew a map for the state’s legislative districts explicitly designed to ensure they would retain control of the legislature even if they received a minority of votes. It worked: in 2012, despite receiving only 48.6% of the vote, they won 60 of 99 seats. Democrats won an outright majority of votes cast but secured just 39 seats.

To this, Wisconsin added a voter ID requirement designed to make it harder to vote at all. Voila: voter turnout in the 2016 presidential election was the lowest since 2000 and Donald Trump carried the state. (To be sure, there were other factors at work.) The combined, national effect of partisan gerrymandering is such that in the 2018 midterms, the Democrats might win the popular vote by 10 points and still not control the House.

Legislative maps designed to promote minority rule plus voter suppression of the constituencies opposed to it is a potent combination. And there’s more.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:49 pm

SCOTUSblog: Court adds two new cases to merits docket:
The justices will once again return to the subject of racial gerrymandering, in a case from Virginia challenging the districting plan drawn in 2011 for the state’s House of Delegates. In 2017, the Supreme Court ruled that a three-judge district court had applied the wrong legal standard when it upheld 12 districts against claims that they were the product of racial gerrymandering. The justices sent the case back to the lower court, ordering it to take another look at 11 of those districts – and, in particular, whether race was the primary factor used to draw the districts. (The justices upheld the 12th district.)

Applying the standard outlined by the Supreme Court, the lower court concluded that race was indeed the primary factor driving the district boundaries. Because the legislature also had not shown that it needed to use the same population targets in each of the “vastly dissimilar” districts at issue to comply with federal voting rights laws, the lower court continued, the districts violate the Constitution.

The Virginia House of Delegates and Kirkland Cox, the speaker of the House of Delegates, appealed to the Supreme Court, which announced today that it would review their appeal. (Redistricting cases are among a narrow set of cases with an automatic right to appeal to the Supreme Court.)

The Virginia board of elections and department of elections and several state officials filed a separate brief, represented by Virginia’s solicitor general, Toby Heytens. Heytens urged the justices to dismiss the legislature’s appeal, telling them that the House of Delegates and Cox lack a legal right to appeal because Virginia’s attorney general is responsible for representing the state in cases like this one. The fact that Mark Herring, Virginia’s attorney general, has declined to appeal the lower court’s decision to the Supreme Court does not, Heytens contended, allow the legislators to do so instead.

This morning the justices announced that they would review the district court’s decision, but they also ordered the parties to address the question broached by Heytens — whether the legislature and Cox have a legal right to bring their appeal — in their briefs.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Return to “General Politics”