James O'Keefe

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:36 am

This is apparently a hit. at least in the political world.Atlantic:James O'Keefe Can Kind of MoonwalkBy Chris GoodApr 19 2011, 6:16 PM ET Comment Background info: O'Keefe was arrested outside the office of Sen. Mary Landrieu in January 2010 for attempting to infiltrate her office, with accomplices dressed as phone-company guys. At first, it seemed like he was there to tap her phones. Nobody could prove it, they claimed they were there to see how Landrieu's staff responded if the phones didn't work, and the hubbub died down. That's what O'Keefe parodies, here, in the arrest scene outside the fake Landrieu's office.On the one hand, James O'Keefe has consistently seemed to want attention, and this video is ridiculous. He and Hannah Giles continued to dress up as pimp and prostitute on their post-ACORN-victory media tour. That was excessive.On the other hand, the guy can kind of moonwalk, and moonwalking is cool. If you're a straight male, so is dancing around with babes, but probably less so if they're paid, with Breitbart money, to be there.http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... lk/237580/Weigel:The music (auto-tuned singing, too) and dancing begins at around 2:45. The jokes continue through the credits -- one assistant is thanked for "light editing." The arrest of O'Keefe and three associates in New Orleans last year got massive coverage, and supporters of O'Keefe's work definitely got the tense that the media was preemptively dancing in the endzone, thinking it had seen the last of the video stingers.http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel ... video.aspxPlayboy profiled him this month. I'd say he's getting all the attention he needs. I didn't read it. I'm not sure I will.http://www.playboy.com/articles/who-doe ... hink-he-is

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 am

O'Keefe encourages TeaBaggers to go out and do their own investigations. He suggests they focus on judges. I wonder how the judges will feel about that. :-? N.J. activist James O'Keefe encourages tea party members in East Windsor to conduct investigationsPublished: Saturday, April 16, 2011, 3:25 PM Updated: Saturday, April 16, 2011, 3:41 PMEAST WINDSOR — James O'Keefe, who gained fame secretly videotaping groups like NPR, Acorn and Planned Parenthood, addressed a crowd of tea party activists, encouraging them to conduct similar investigations.O'Keefe, a New Jersey native and Rutgers graduate, told the packed room of about 150 that his project is about exposing hypocrisy. He encouraged those there to partake in their own efforts, including in response to a question saying he would like to see citizens target judges with similar videos.[/break1]nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/nj_activist_james_okeefe_tells.html]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... tells.html

A Legal Lohengrin

James O'Keefe

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am

O'Keefe encourages TeaBaggers to go out and do their own investigations. He suggests they focus on judges. I wonder how the judges will feel about that. :-?

N.J. activistconvict James O'Keefe encourages tea party members in East Windsor to conduct investigationscommit crimes

Published: Saturday, April 16, 2011, 3:25 PM Updated: Saturday, April 16, 2011, 3:41 PM

EAST WINDSOR — James O'Keefe, who gained fame secretly videotaping groups like NPR, Acorn and Planned Parenthoodpleading guilty to criminal activity in connection with a fraudulent video, addressed a crowd of tea party activistsmorons, encouraging them to conductcommit similar investigationscrimes.

O'Keefe, a New Jersey native and Rutgers graduate, told the packed room of about 150 that his project is about exposing right-wing hypocrisy. He encouraged those there to partake in their own efforts, including in response to a question saying he would like to see citizens target judges with similar videos.[/break1]nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/04/nj_activist_james_okeefe_tells.html]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/0 ... tells.htmlSounds like he's inciting people to obstruct justice. How would you do similar videos against judges? By invading courtrooms and chambers and disrupting legal proceedings? I hope the next time he's sentenced that the court is aware of this clown's profound disrespect for the rule of law.

GreatGrey

James O'Keefe

Post by GreatGrey » Wed May 25, 2011 3:08 pm

Errr... seems little Jimmy Olsen is grounded.http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-cont ... -order.jpg[/break1]net/2011/05/25/judge-confines-james-okeefe-to-new-jersey/]http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2011/05 ... ew-jersey/.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TexasFilly

James O'Keefe

Post by TexasFilly » Wed May 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Errr... seems little Jimmy Olsen is grounded.http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-cont ... -order.jpg[/break1]net/2011/05/25/judge-confines-james-okeefe-to-new-jersey/]http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/2011/05 ... ew-jersey/. :lol: Imprisoned in the State of NJ by a Judge in Louisiana !
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:12 pm

gawker:Little Jimmy O’Keefe Blows the Lid Off Medicaid FraudLittle Jimmy O'Keefe Blows the Lid Off Medicaid Fraud Hey did you know that county-level Medicaid administrators in Ohio aren't vigorously vetting the applicants who seek their services? Thank God for James O'Keefe, the only journalist in the nation with the sheer guts to tell this bone-chilling tale of county bureaucrats failing to diligently do their jobs.If O'Keefe, the rapey ACORN-killing junior reporter, ever had any talent, it was in picking good targets: His attempts to take down ACORN and NPR at least had the inherent drama of taking on right-wing bogeymen. His latest opus involves sending fake Russian drug dealers to strip malls in Ohio to apply for Medicaid benefits. And guess what? Bored county social workers don't immediately call the cops when guys in bad Russian accents talk openly about drugs. Or getting elective abortions for their sisters, who happen to be the age of consent in Ohio, even though federal Medicaid doesn't cover abortions and Ohio Medicaid dollars don't cover elective ones so all the Medicaid staffers tell them to go to Planned Parenthood. Scandalous.remainder:[/break1]com/5822329/little-jimmy-okeefe-blows-the-lid-off-medicaid-fraud]http://gawker.com/5822329/little-jimmy- ... caid-fraudmediaite:In the video, two men who describe themselves as Russian drug dealers talk to a woman identified as an Ohio Medicaid worker, asking if they should mention on their application for aid that they have just imported into the U.S. a McLaren sportscar with a “gold-coated engine.” They add that they need help obtaining abortions for their underage sisters, who trade sex for drugs. The woman on tape recommends Planned Parenthood and suggests leaving the car off their application:In response, Ohio employees tasked with disbursing federal Medicaid dollars are shown coaching the men through the process of applying for benefits. “If it’s not something registered here, maybe I just wouldn’t mention it,” a Franklin County Medicaid officer named Traci Daniels tells the men, when asked whether they should mention owning a vehicle that retails for nearly $1 million, as they apply for government aid designed to help poor people. “Not that I can say that. You didn’t hear that from me. But, that would right there, that would throw him off. He would be immediately not qualified.”It’s not clear whether any application was actually filed.[/break1]mediaite.com/online/james-okeefe-returns-unveiling-undercover-video-and-claims-of-medicaid-fraud/]http://www.mediaite.com/online/james-ok ... aid-fraud/[/break1]forbes.com/aroy/2011/07/18/daily-caller-ohio-state-workers-advise-men-posing-as-rich-russian-drug-smugglers-to-lie-on-their-medicaid-applications/]http://blogs.forbes.com/aroy/2011/07/18 ... lications/Did I mention that a week or two ago O'Keefe was begging for $30,000?TPM:James O'Keefe: I've Got Evidence Public Employees Helped Fake Terrorists, Drug SmugglersConservative provocateur James O'Keefe has his digital alms bowl out. He says his non-profit group "needs $30,000 RIGHT AWAY" to finish his latest sting operation that he claims "dwarfs anything Project Veritas has exposed to date.""I can't reveal all the details yet, but I can tell you that we have evidence of government employees gladly offering public assistance to individuals representing themselves as drug smugglers and members of a terrorist group," O'Keefe wrote in a teasing email to supporters.[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/james_okeefe_ive_got_evidence_public_employees_helped_fake_terrorists_drug_smugglers.php]http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... gglers.php

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:38 pm

He has problems with people. Can you imagine that? Just not a people person.

So the others who were in on the NPR 'sting' are upset with O'Keefe. Boo-hoo.

Howard Kurtz at The Daily Beast:

Allies Accuse James O'Keefe of 'Hit Job' in Undercover NPR Sting

Nov 15, 2011 4:45 AM EST

The two men who pulled off James O’Keefe’s NPR sting are now criticizing the conservative activist for what one calls a ‘hit job.’ They tell Howard Kurtz exclusively why they feel exploited.

But Templar says O’Keefe told him the video had to be released within three days because he was in touch with sources in Congress and a vote was about to be taken on a budget resolution that could eliminate federal funding of NPR. O’Keefe said he had been assured that "this story would push it over the edge,” according to Templar.

“James was insistent … My position was that trying to beat that deadline was not only futile but irrelevant, even if the desire was to directly prompt the defunding of NPR,” Templar says. “The only result would be an extremely slipshod product.”

[snip]

In an interview with me in March, O’Keefe maintained he was trying to do good journalism, not damage NPR. He defended the deception by saying that “people are not going to be honest” if you approach them with a notebook. “I think reporters do a lot of stenography in this country,” O’Keefe said. “They do a lot of damage control, they do a lot of punditry. But real investigative reporting is showing things for what they are.”

In any event, the team wound up delaying release of the videotape for two weeks. The undercover footage, made public on March 8, had an immediate impact. Vivian Schiller was forced out of her job. NPR’s top fundraiser, Ron Schiller (no relation), was also forced to quit after being secretly recorded as saying that Republicans are “anti-intellectual” and Tea Party members are “racist.”

The next day, according to Templar, O’Keefe and others on the team held a conference call with conservative fundraiser Richard Viguerie, whose firm was retained to send out financial appeals for O’Keefe’s nonprofit group, Project Veritas.more:

[/break1]thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/11/15/allies-accuse-james-o-keefe-of-hit-job-in-undercover-npr-sting.html]http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... sting.html

karoli at C&L:

So there you have it. O'Keefe was in touch with members of Congress who let him know that they were voting on whether to defund NPR, and he was happy to provide them with ammunition. For O'Keefe it was a win-win proposition, given that NPR executives reacted with extreme cowardice and fired Vivian Schiller and Ron Schiller summarily, despite the fact that they didn't do or say anything particularly wrong.

[snip]

Oh, Richard Viguerie. Ron Paul fanboy and Howard Phillips buddy. Member of the mysterious Council for National Policy (CNP). That Richard Viguerie. He and his buddies made sure James O'Keefe survived to smear another day, courtesy of his buddies in the conservative cabal.[/break1]com/karoli/james-okeefe-colluded-republicans-frame-npr]http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/james- ... -frame-npr

A conference call with 'conservative fundraiser'?

And now that this is in the news again, I'm again wondering why NPR didn't stand up to a puny, creepy, no-talent, like O'Keefe.

politico:

James O’Keefe's plans derailed by infighting, lack of funding

O’Keefe’s vision, pieced together from court filings, interviews and tax records filed by his nonprofit Project Veritas, has been hampered by bitter infighting, lack of funding and even his own fame.

And O’Keefe has begun to fight back, preparing lawsuits against two former associates-turned-critics — one who claims O’Keefe had little to do with his biggest post-ACORN exposé, focused on NPR, and another former colleague who says she backed out of a project last month because of O’Keefe’s lack of professionalism.

The mounting turmoil comes as O’Keefe’s recent efforts — including an apparently ongoing media bias exposé called “To Catch a Journalist” and an effort to highlight the hypocrisy of Occupy Wall Street protesters — have mostly fallen flat.more:

[/break1]politico.com/news/stories/1111/68628.html]http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68628.html

His salary was supposed to be $120,000. That's what they figured for O'Keefe's salary.

You know he's going to get funding in no time.

GreatGrey

James O'Keefe

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:58 am

I saw this a couple of days ago, and something smells here.O'Keefe's accuser is Simon Templar. Really, Simon Templar?That guy is a SAINT!http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/ ... -saint.jpg
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:33 pm

O'Keefe's latest video.VIDEO: NH poll workers shown handing out ballots in dead peoples’ namesstory at the daily caller:[/break1]com/2012/01/11/video-nh-poll-workers-shown-handing-out-ballots-in-dead-peoples-names/]http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/11/video ... les-names/So because James O'Keefe and his crew are dicks, a lot of very much alive people will not be able to vote.

Suranis

James O'Keefe

Post by Suranis » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 pm

In a civilised country O'Keefe would immediately be heading to jail for voter fraud and Identity theft. Besides, the person he is shown in the thumbnail (i'm not wasting my time actiallu watching the video) died 9 days before the primary. Thats way too short a time frame for the voeter registration to be crosschecked, and he was probably registered to vote before he died.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

bob

James O'Keefe

Post by bob » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:45 pm

[O'Keefe] said no laws were broken during the investigation and that his team members never claimed to be the dead people whose ballots they were trying to obtain. Instead, [highlight]they carefully worded the way they asked for ballots[/highlight], phrasing it like: “Do you have Earnest Chavanelle?” and “Do you have Paul Soucy?”

“We decided to go in there without using any false pretenses,” he said. “There’s no misrepresentation in these videos if you watch them — we didn’t lie about who we were.”

The investigators never actually voted when they were given ballots. Sting artists who received ballots would leave the voting precincts after saying they left their identification in the car.IANALinNH, but I'm guessing asking for about a dead person's ballot* constitutes voter fraud.

* Knowing you are, in fact, not that dead person.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:46 pm

In a civilised country O'Keefe would immediately be heading to jail for voter fraud and Identity theft. Besides, the person he is shown in the thumbnail (i'm not wasting my time actiallu watching the video) died 9 days before the primary. Thats way too short a time frame for the voeter registration to be crosschecked, and he was probably registered to vote before he died.All of the people who they asked for voter cards were recently deceased. They did that on purpose. Their point is to require photo id.

esseff44

James O'Keefe

Post by esseff44 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 pm

As the supervisor said repeatedly, it could happen that someone might use a recently deceased person's name to vote, but it was highly unlikely in practice. So, that's the real issue. If someone went to all the trouble of making a list and having someone go to each of the deceased different precincts (because they would have to do some research on each one after they found their addresses), how much difference would it actually make in an election. Also, in a primary, you would be stuck with whatever ballot you got depending how the deceased had registered. That's a lot of work for a handful of votes that wouldn't make any difference except in the very rare cases where a recount would be needed anyway. In those cases, such votes could be found and disqualified.

Addie

James O'Keefe

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 pm

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/01/election_law_experts_say_james_okeefe_accomplices_could_face_charges_over_voter_fraud_stunt.php?ref=fpb]TPMMuckraker

Election Law Experts Say James O’Keefe Allies Could Face Charges Over Voter Fraud Stunt

It was one of the few — if not the only — coordinated efforts to attempt in-person voter fraud, and it was pulled off by affiliates of conservative activist James O’Keefe at polling places in New Hampshire Tuesday night. All of it part of an attempt to prove the need for voter ID laws that voting rights experts say have a unfair impact on minority voters.

Now election law experts tell TPM that O’Keefe’s allies could face criminal charges on both the federal and state level for procuring ballots under false names, and that his undercover sting doesn’t demonstrate a need for voter ID laws at all.

Federal law bans not only the casting of, but the “procurement” of ballots “that are known by the person to be materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent under the laws of the State in which the election is held.”

Hamline University law professor David Schultz told TPM that there’s “no doubt” that O’Keefe’s accomplices violated the law.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

esseff44

James O'Keefe

Post by esseff44 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Good. I am sure the arresting officers will ask for their ID and then they can feel better as they pull it out. :roll: :lol: :taunt:

PatGund

James O'Keefe

Post by PatGund » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:13 pm

O'Keefe really needs a long stretch on jail.Seriously. I think the only reason he gets away with the crap he does is that he's a right wing darling.

mimi

James O'Keefe

Post by mimi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:18 pm

They tried to cover that. If you read the Daily Caller piece, they were careful how they asked for them.I don't know if it will matter.He said no laws were broken during the investigation and that his team members never claimed to be the dead people whose ballots they were trying to obtain. Instead, they carefully worded the way they asked for ballots, phrasing it like: “Do you have Earnest Chavanelle?” and “Do you have Paul Soucy?”“We decided to go in there without using any false pretenses,” he said. “There’s no misrepresentation in these videos if you watch them — we didn’t lie about who we were.”The investigators never actually voted when they were given ballots. Sting artists who received ballots would leave the voting precincts after saying they left their identification in the car.“We were very careful about that,” he said.the rest is here:[/break1]com/2012/01/11/video-nh-poll-workers-shown-handing-out-ballots-in-dead-peoples-names/]http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/11/video ... les-names/

verbalobe

James O'Keefe

Post by verbalobe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:20 pm

O'Keefe really needs a long stretch on jail.

Seriously.

I think the only reason he gets away with the crap he does is that he's a right wing darling Breitbart's top.FIFY. Too much? I don't care.

A Legal Lohengrin

James O'Keefe

Post by A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

They tried to cover that. If you read the Daily Caller piece, they were careful how they asked for them.I don't know if it will matter.He said no laws were broken during the investigation and that his team members never claimed to be the dead people whose ballots they were trying to obtain. Instead, they carefully worded the way they asked for ballots, phrasing it like: “Do you have Earnest Chavanelle?” and “Do you have Paul Soucy?”That's the sort of thing that looks clever to a moron and looks like "that was someone else's weed" on cross examination.They went in, got ballots to which they had no legal entitlement, then stole them.I hope to see this prosecuted, but I'd hardly be surprised if the convict James O'Keefe is given another free pass.

BFB

James O'Keefe

Post by BFB » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Doncha have to get permission to bring cameras into a polling place??(What, exactly, is this: :flame: ?)

bob

James O'Keefe

Post by bob » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 pm

They tried to cover that. If you read the Daily Caller piece, they were careful how they asked for them.I don't know if it will matter.It looks like O'Keefe may have received some bad legal advice.E.g., When a pretty young thang gets in your car and you agree to a "party" for $50, you can still be charged with (and convicted of) soliciting prostitution. Even though no majick words were said.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

verbalobe

James O'Keefe

Post by verbalobe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:33 pm

any chance the family of any of the deceased have a civil case for suffering inflicted, for having their relative's name dragged into a scam/scandal in their time of bereavement?

esseff44

James O'Keefe

Post by esseff44 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:45 pm

any chance the family of any of the deceased have a civil case for suffering inflicted, for having their relative's name dragged into a scam/scandal in their time of bereavement?The name for what they were doing is 'ghosting.' [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosting_%28identity_theft%29]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosting_% ... y_theft%29

Sequoia32

James O'Keefe

Post by Sequoia32 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:51 pm

DMV: 900 Dead People May Have VotedColumbia, SC (AP, WLTX) -- The director of South Carolina's Department of Motor Vehicles has told the State Law Enforcement Division that more than 900 people who were recorded as having voted were actually dead.DMV Director Kevin Shwedo told legislators about the issue Wednesday as the U.S. Justice Department questions a new state law requiring people to show photographic identification when they vote in person.--snip--"Director Shwedo's research has revealed evidence that over nine hundred deceased people appear to have 'voted' in recent elections in South Carolina," said Wilson in a statement. "This is an alarming number, and clearly necessitates an investigation into potential criminal activity. I have asked SLED Chief Keel to review Director Shwedo's research."Shwedo analyzed more than 230,000 records on people without state driver's licenses or identification cards. He found state Election Commission data included 30,000 dead people. He said the records involving 900 dead people were turned over to SLED to investigate.[/break1]wltx.com/news/article/167748/2/DMV-900-Dead-People-May-Have-Voted-]http://www.wltx.com/news/article/167748 ... ave-Voted-What is a DMV director doing investigating something having to do with people who don't have DLs ir IDs?What do you wanna bet that it turns out those people didn't actually vote, they just remained on the rolls?
So far every case of Ebola in this country got it by helping people. So relax, Republicans, you're in the clear. - Tina Dupuy

Return to “General Politics”