Magic Mushrooms - Decriminalize or Not?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Magic Mushrooms - Decriminalize or Not?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 07, 2019 12:32 pm

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-de ... story.html
Denver voters consider the next frontier in decriminalizing drugs: magic mushrooms

Justin was 6 years old when the seriousness of his creeping mental illness became apparent. One day he set aside an entire page in his diary and wrote: “I want to die.”

He was eventually put on medication for bipolar disorder. His symptoms worsened into his 20s and 30s, and he became dependent on alcohol.

Then a friend recommended an unusual — and illegal — treatment: magic mushrooms.

“It was a transformative experience,” said Justin, who takes small doses three times a week. “I was on six medications, and now I just use mushrooms and a mood stabilizer. I’m a different guy. I’m fun to be around. Once I couldn’t even cry. Now I can.”
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

HST's Ghost

Re: Magic Mushrooms - Decriminalize or Not?

Post by HST's Ghost » Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 pm

I'm 100% on decrim/legalization, but even with weed, I think there should be some mandatory classes involved, not just a unit in health studies in high school, so that users are give a fair and broad overview of historical use, benefits and drawbacks, actual health issues etc. Even to the degree that use of "Magic mushrooms" and other entheogens should require the accompaniment of a licensed professional.
Hopefully, sometime people in the future will find it inconceivable that certain plants were considered "illegal"...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 pm

I don't have much first-hand (ahem) research on this. Only came up for me once a couple decades ago. A friend scored four front row/center tickets to a U2 show (the pop mart tour). Preshow, he and the rest of us partied a bit, and my friend with the tickets had shrooms. He'd done before and he said wait until we get to the the concert to eat them (no, nobody was driving, the apartment was a 10 minute walk). It was the most amazing concert I have ever experienced.

Until the last 30 minutes when that high wore off and the experience became mundane.

BUT.

The next day, I had to road trip a couple hours back home with another friend-of-my-friend who joined us. And I start having visual hallucinations -- which as I understand is fairly common - flashbacks. Nothing drastic like things appearing that were not there, but ordinary objects that appeared to me altered. (ie. dried leaves, blowing through grass, I perceived as rats scurrying around)

That was the first and last time.

So I'm not a big fan of this legistration.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Controlled medical use with titrated doses and professionals or even psuedo-professional homeopathic types supervising, sure legalize it.

Decriminalize it so that no one goes to jail (or at least get let go as soon as they stop tripping), sure absolutely.

But in dispensaries like weed in Colorado, I have my doubts about whether that's really a good idea.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Wed May 08, 2019 1:19 am

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/07/psychedelic-magic-mushrooms-denver-election/
A ballot measure that would make Denver the first city in the nation to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms is lagging in early results.

Initiative 301 is behind 53.54 percent, or 61,250 votes, to 46.46 percent, or 53,140 votes, in results released at 10 p.m.

Even if the measure passes, it remains illegal to buy, sell or possess psilocybin mushrooms. Possession of psychedelics is a felony and can carry a punishment of up to a year in prison and a fine.

However, the initiative, if approved, would decriminalize the drug in Denver by telling police that enforcing laws against the possession of “magic mushrooms” should be their lowest priority. If approved, Denver will create a panel to oversee the effects of the ordinance.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:34 am

I think I’m for it. My limited experience contained no negatives, at least in my memory. It was a fun day.

Sprout ate some last year. I wish I could say he knew what he was in for...it helps to prepare. For almost a week afterward he would say every day “Huh. Still no anxiety.” Then it came back. I don’t think he’s done them again. He gained insight into his GAD and it was generally more mild afterwards.

Natural substances. Mostly they won’t kill ya. Mostly.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Wed May 08, 2019 7:45 pm

The measure narrowly passed. From the Denver Post.

Denver first in U.S. to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm

kate520 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:34 am
I think I’m for it.
Well, my opinion only, and I am not trying to be a prude, but the age old argument of being 'natural' (as occurring in nature) does not green-light stuff. Cyanide is 'natural'. Just because something exists doesn't make it 'ok' to consume. I hate that argument because it is false.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sluffy1

Post by Sluffy1 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:20 pm

neonzx wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm
kate520 wrote:
I think I’m for it.
Well, my opinion only, and I am not trying to be a prude, but the age old argument of being 'natural' (as occurring in nature) does not green-light stuff. Cyanide is 'natural'. Just because something exists doesn't make it 'ok' to consume. I hate that argument because it is false.
Marijuana, peyote and psilocybin don't need any sort of processing. Pick and eat.
There isn't a Cyanide berry that I'm aware of.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:20 pm
neonzx wrote:
kate520 wrote:
I think I’m for it.
Marijuana, peyote and psilocybin don't need any sort of processing. Pick and eat.
Reasonable, but how do we control this? I'll bite. How do we control this if it's legal... so that teens aren't all wacked and dropping out (which is what they do today with THC). I'm open.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:
neonzx wrote:
kate520 wrote:
I think I’m for it.
Bitter almonds are the cyanide berry, aren't they?

There are plants that you can pick and eat for the trip that can also kill you or seriously screw up your health. Jimson weed comes to mind.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed May 08, 2019 8:52 pm

Or a lovely cup of oleander or hemlock tea.
Image Image Image Image Image

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 pm
I don't have much first-hand (ahem) research on this. Only came up for me once a couple decades ago. A friend scored four front row/center tickets to a U2 show (the pop mart tour)
:snippity:
Me too, also. But I mine was at a Led Zeppelin concert at Baltimore Civics Center 1970-something. On the way in I had a ticket but somehow got caught up in the rush of people running to crash the gates. Forced into one door in a wave, immediate left turn, then 2nd left turn back outside where I was knocked to the ground by a cop on a big f’ing horse! Finally inside we were 3rd row front and center, and they had this thick purple fog pouring off the stage that engulfed us all, I could feel it touching my skin. Best concert I ever saw… and I saw lots!

Here’s one concert I’d loved to have attended! (If ya’s got speakers, turn'em ALL the way up!) Also too I can read lips (mostly because I’m ½ deaf), but at the 7:58 mark Jimmy Page says the word “fucking”, and having a British husband & nephews I’m pretty sure the next word was “hell”, and I have to agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk
Birfers are toast

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Or a lovely cup of oleander or hemlock tea.
Edit: ETA, I did a lot of drugs back in the day, and mushrooms were not my friend. LSD, however... :mrgreen:
Image Image Image Image Image

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Wed May 08, 2019 8:56 pm

neonzx wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:33 pm
Sluffy1 wrote:
neonzx wrote:

Reasonable, but how do we control this? I'll bite. How do we control this if it's legal... so that teens aren't all wacked and dropping out (which is what they do today with THC). I'm open.
I mentioned the need for a strong educational and regulatory system. Of course, it is already nearly impossible to make something that grows naturally in a massive amount of locations and doesn't require any distilling.
You can't do mushrooms every day. If you do a huge dose under the proper circumstances, with a great degree of personal knowledge of what you are taking or under the guidance of someone who is knowledgeable, you may not want or need to do them again for quite a long time, and you might find yourself not wanting to abuse any of the legal drugs. Again, the Entheogens should be approached as truly powerful medicine - natural but very powerful. The Schedule One assignment has kept a lot of academic and experimental studies from being done, Before prohibition in the '60s, there were some very positive results with LSD and alcoholism. Brazilians in Ayahuasca-based churches are not doing it all the time to be wacked-out...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 pm

All I know is, not everyone who takes psychedelics ends up acting like Hunter Thompson. ;)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed May 08, 2019 9:07 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 pm
All I know is, not everyone who takes psychedelics ends up acting like Hunter Thompson. ;)
Or even Andy Kaufman.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Played well by Uncle Duke.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:07 pm
RoadScholar wrote:
Or even Andy Kaufman.
yeah yeah... yeah. :daydream:

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Sluffy1 wrote:

No, but there IS a ricin bean. You may know it better as Castor Bean.

Return to “General Politics”