Sometimes the Name of the guy just fits...

dunstvangeet

Sometimes the Name of the guy just fits...

Post by dunstvangeet »

A pro-gun activist lobbied for “constitutional carry” by showing up at Texas lawmakers’ homes. Now the bill is DOA.

A Texas bill allowing gun owners to carry concealed firearms without a permit is now indefinitely stalled after a pro-gun activist advocated for the legislation by stalking state lawmakers — even appearing at their homes.

On Friday, Texas House Speaker Dennis Bonnen announced plans to abandon the “constitutional carry” bill after the activist, Chris McNutt, showed up at his doorstep and at the homes of two other lawmakers.

McNutt, executive director of the nonprofit Texas Gun Rights, was reportedly outraged the bill failed to advance quickly through the legislature. He posted a series of rants to his group’s Facebook page complaining about the legislative inaction. He followed these posts with videos of himself visiting the neighborhoods of two Republican state lawmakers, Reps. Dustin Burrows of Lubbock and Four Price of Amarillo.

McNutt’s social media activity prompted Texas state troopers to put Bonnen’s home under surveillance, the Houston Chronicle reports. That’s how authorities were able to intercept the activist when he attempted to visit the speaker’s home last week while Bonnen was nearly 200 miles away at the state capitol in Austin. Bonnen’s wife and teenage son were reportedly home at the time.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... m=referral
Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: Sometimes the Name of the guy just fits...

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My maiden name was McNutt- for realz.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
August 26 was proclaimed Women's Equality Day in 1972 by Richard Nixon. August 26, 1920, was date the 19th Amendment was confirmed by the Secretary of State and became law.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

The name is amusing, yes, but I'm legitimately impressed that this gentleman achieved a level of crazy so extraordinary that it convinced Texas lawmakers that maybe this outlaw bit open carry thing has done got out of hand.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am My maiden name was McNutt- for realz.
You're under arrest!
Buckle up, peeps, this ride is gonna get BUMPY. :shock:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:58 am The name is amusing, yes, but I'm legitimately impressed that this gentleman achieved a level of crazy so extraordinary that it convinced Texas lawmakers that maybe this outlaw bit open carry thing has done got out of hand.
That surprised me too: the National Murder Association playbook says that the correct response to that problem – actually to any problem – is moar gunz!!

So it's amazing that they didn't revise the legislation to make open carry of an assault rifle mandatory for all citizens.
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am My maiden name was McNutt- for realz.
Many people would be surprised if they knew what their last names mean in the country of origin. I'm familiar with the Czech language and almost all the Czech last names mean something. Many are not what we would consider as being complimentary.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 am
You're under arrest!
Obviously you are a Democrat! The correct call to war is Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!

;)
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 am
You're under arrest!
Obviously you are a Democrat! The correct call to war is Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!

;)
The whole thing here is the fault of Obama and Hilary. The failure of the carry law, the goofball showing up, or TRL being named McNutt? Yes.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

I married a guy named Fruits. It was originally Fritz but they changed it because of anti-German sentiment after WWI. Hubs learned early a good sense of humor can save you, especially when you pair it with long hair, longer beard and an old Harley.
ImageImageImage x4
RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

Knucklehead? (The bike, not the husband. Necessarily.)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

fierceredpanda wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:58 am The name is amusing, yes, but I'm legitimately impressed that this gentleman achieved a level of crazy so extraordinary that it convinced Texas lawmakers that maybe this outlaw bit open carry thing has done got out of hand.
That level of crazy being: having the temerity to target Republican politicians instead of women, left-leaning protesters, or Democrats.

The whole point of open carry is intimidation. He just goofed and intimidated the wrong people.
I've heard this bull before.
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

RoadScholar wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:42 am Knucklehead? (The bike, not the husband. Necessarily.)
:lol:
ImageImageImage x4
fava

Post by fava »

My wife and I are Fred and Wilma.

When getting introduced to people its fun to watch their reaction. Some people burst out laughing, some try to contain themselves and fail, some need it to be explained to them.

But nobody ever forgets our name.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

What can I say except Yabba Dabba Doo? :mrgreen:
fava

Post by fava »

Foggy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:47 am What can I say except Yabba Dabba Doo? :mrgreen:
We get that one a lot.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

:lol: I bet you do.

The main thing I remember about the Flintstones at my advanced age is that one time it was used to teach me a little about copyright law. It was based on The Honeymooners, but even though it used the same ideas and structure it was not a copyright violation because it was a particularized expression of those ideas and structure. But I can't remember the plot of any episode of either of them today.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

:confused: plot?
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

I can't remember Fred ever threatening to send Wilma to the moon. Perhaps we can get rid of the reality shows since they all seem to have something in common.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Return to “General Politics”