Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:58 am

OK, this demands its own thread.

The latest-
Bloomberg Politics

Verified account

@bpolitics
Follow Follow @bpolitics
More
BREAKING: Virginia's Democratic attorney general says he wore blackface at a college party in 1980, deepening state scandal - @AP https://bloom.bg/2DVyu1L
If both Governor Northam and Lt Governor Fairfax resign then the AG becomes governor. If the AG also then has to resign the speaker of the House of Delegates, who is a Republican, becomes governor.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Re: Virginia Governor's Mess

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
8m8 minutes ago
More
.@NBCNews has learned that Fairfax used profane language in a private meeting Monday night while referring to the accuser, Dr. Vanessa Tyson.

Two sources say Fairfax said of Tyson: “F--- that b----.”

Fairfax appears to reference the comments in his new statement.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:04 pm

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
5m5 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Virginia AG Herring says wore blackface while "dressed like rappers we listened to at the time" at a college party in 1980; says did so "because of our ignorance and glib attitudes" that did not appreciate experiences and perspective of others.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:05 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 pm

VA Speaker of the House of Delegates Kirk Cox attended Colonial Heights High School and James Madison University. No doubt reporters are rushing to get copies of the yearbooks from those schools.

Michael J

Post by Michael J » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Fourth in the line of succession for Virginia governor is statehouse speaker Kirk Cox.

Cox is the speaker due to a one-seat GOP majority.

It has that majority because Rep. David Yancey won his seat in a coin toss.

It went to a coin toss because that race ended in a tie.

Vote!
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1093192062785241090
"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." - Justice William J. Brennan, Jr.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 pm

For fuck sake, Virginia. I mean, ......

:brickwallsmall:
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 pm

:shock: :eek2:
Wtf is wrong w people?
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:36 pm

I am so utterly at a loss. Apparently, being a white person who has never worn or even considered wearing blackface puts me in a minority?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 pm

neonzx wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 pm
:shock: :eek2:
Wtf is wrong w people?
As a society, we have historically tolerated, encouraged, and engaged in the abuse and belittlement of women and people of cover.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Looking at the photo from Northam's yearbook page note the quote-"There are more old drunks than old doctors in this world so I think I'll have another beer." In the photo of Northam in a cowboy hat on that page he is holding a beer.

The person in blackface and the person in the KKK outfit are both holding beers. It is just possible that that photo was included as an illustration for the quote and had nothing to do with Northam at all. Just an unfortunate attempt at humor by the yearbook staff.

I am struck by the fact that so far no one who knew Northam in HS, college, Med school, the military or since has come forward to accuse Northam and any racist activities. Quite the contrary.

The photo below on the left shows the officers of the Hi-Y club in the 1977 Onancock High School yearbook. Northam, who was the club president, is standing in the back row. Clearly Northam was acquainted with and probably friends with black people from an early age. Probably more so than I. There are no black persons in photos I appear in in my HS yearbook. (Very few black residents in the town in which I grew up.)

I worry that if we on the left demand our politicians to have lived completely blemish free lives there will be no one for us to vote for.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm

Lawrence Ross aka Clem Fandango

@alpha1906
59m59 minutes ago
More
The Va attorney general wore blackface? Again, color me know surprised. Read my book, Blackballed: The Black & White Politics of Race on America’s Campuses, and you’ll learn a lot about how regular it was then…and still today.

Just bought the Kindle edition.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm also hesitant about all this search for purity that wasn't there forty years ago. Hell, I can still get pretty pissed at Biden during the Clarence Thomas hearings. I'm sure Biden regrets this. I'm guessing Northam does, too, although he's really making a mess of this. I just feel like there's something going on with the opposition when they are trying to undermine the top four Democratic leaders in the state.

I got a touch of food poisoning a few days ago (better now), so I have not been following things as closely as I might have, but based on what I've seen, this is how I feel about this right now.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Colin Campbell

Verified account

@RaleighReporter
Follow Follow @RaleighReporter
More
Randomly flipped through the 1979 UNC-Chapel Hill yearbook today just to kill some time, and found this photo on one of the fraternities' pages. Holy shit.

Expect we will be seeing many more such photos on Twitter in the coming days.

From Florida-
State Rep. Anthony Sabatini dismisses Florida Democratic chair's call for his resignation over high school 'blackface' photo

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/po ... story.html
“I’m 16 years old, one of my best friends of the time was black, and we thought at the time – looking back, it was immature – it would be funny to dress as each other,” Sabatini said. “He dressed in my clothes – a Ralph Lauren polo shirt, shorts, Converse – and I dressed in his clothing. … None of us thought 14 years later any of us would be a public figure and the photo would be decontextualized.”

:snippity:

His friend, Brandon Evans, agreed with Sabatini.

“Every year at high school homecoming week, we had things like ‘80s days and celebrity days,” Evans said Tuesday. “We said, ‘I’m going to be you and you’re going to be me.’ I don’t know how it got to be seen as racial. That’s all it was.”

Sabatini, Evans said, “even had on my own personal necklace and everything.”

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 pm

I'm with Andy on this. I don't personally know any adults who don't regret something in their youth. When we know better, we do better. And it can take decades before we realize that some seemingly insignificant or ordinary activity at the time was a bad idea in retrospect.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:37 pm

Not only that, but those criticizing now rarely seem to appreciate that moral norms will continue, to change but not necessarily in expected directions.

People, especially young people, make mistakes crossing today's moral borders. They will make more mistakes when tested against moving borders.

It is easy to imagine a kid in 2119 wondering why we primitive people were appalled at the notion of someone blacking up to mock Barack Obama but were perfectly comfortable if a comedian wore an orange wig to mock Donald Trump a few years later. Or asking "but without wearing facial makeup it's like portraying Obama as a white person, denying his blackness, which is insulting, isn't it?"

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Me three. They were young wore a stupid set of costumes to a party, big effing deal.

When I was their age I wore a bedsheet toga and a set of fairy wings to a party, and told everyone I was Tinkerbell and the hormone treatments had kicked in. I'm sure this would be shocking and out of place to some people.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:38 pm

9F2B9F51-51B0-48BC-BAC8-0CFCE80F64B9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:23 am

I got a couple of thoughts. Not sure how they link together.

One is that, yeah, kids do dumb things, and allowances should be made for that. (But not sure if "kids" should extend all the way to medical school.)

The other is that when we're talking about social norms changing, we're probably actually only talking about the norms of a specific part of society, not the whole of it.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:16 am

I don't give two shits about a search for purity. I care about people in this country recognizing what systemic racism, sexism, and abuse to both individuals and institutions; how it touched and still touches broad swaths of people, and how it has been allowed to spread by silence and destructive social pressure. Name it. Point at it. Condemn it. Pledge to fight it. Truth and Reconciliation, baby.

If the political arena is part of that, so be it.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:23 am

I view Northam's mess as a betrayal and not being honest with his voters and donors (me). His wearing black face in med school or being the KKK guy in the 80's is appalling to me. That shit was NOT funny in the 60's, 70's or 80's in Arkansas. I remember vividly when Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot not two hours away from Little Rock. Northam should have done his own opposition research as Rick Wilson says.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:08 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:23 am
I view Northam's mess as a betrayal and not being honest with his voters and donors (me). His wearing black face in med school or being the KKK guy in the 80's is appalling to me. That shit was NOT funny in the 60's, 70's or 80's in Arkansas. I remember vividly when Martin Luther King, Jr., was shot not two hours away from Little Rock. Northam should have done his own opposition research as Rick Wilson says.
You know, it's terribly easy to sit back and criticize for actions done long ago, but it really does a disservice to those people.

Remember, these students in the 80's grew up as kids with Archie Bunker in the 70's...and even Archie appeared in blackface in an episode.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:55 am

And in the 80s we had quality entertainment like this

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Return to “General Politics”