Republicans have Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Derangement Syndrome.

Volkonski

Re: Republicans have Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Derangement Syndrome.

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:25 pm

Ryan Nobles

Verified account

@ryanobles
2h2 hours ago
More
Guess who got the warmest welcome today at the NAN conference?
@AOC

And it wasn’t even close.

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
2h2 hours ago
More
Rep. Ocasio-Cortez: "I'm proud to be a bartender. Ain't nothing wrong that. There's nothing wrong with working retail...There is nothing wrong with preparing that your neighbors will eat."

"There is nothing wrong with being a working person in the United States of America."
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I'm waiting for Trump to flat out insult her with a stupid nickname, and she tweets back, referring to him as the PUTOS.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:57 pm
I'm waiting for Trump to flat out insult her with a stupid nickname, and she tweets back, referring to him as the PUTOS.
Or President, United States. Shortened to PUS of course.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 pm

But there is a certain piquancy about a Latina calling him a putos.

You know he wouldn't get it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Kentucky Republicans Worried Inviting AOC to Meet with Coal Miners Might Backfire
Ocasio-Cortez actually said yes to their invite, and now they’re waffling.

https://www.gq.com/story/ky-republicans ... al_twitter
Last month, a clip of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez went predictably viral after she forcefully responded to one of her colleagues on the House Financial Services Committee when he called climate change an "elitist" concern. "Wanting clean air and water is not elitist," she said.

In response, Kentucky Republican congressman Andy Barr invited Ocasio-Cortez to come meet coal miners in his state "who will tell you what the Green New Deal would mean for their families, their paychecks." His concern, he said, is that the Green New Deal would phase out U.S. reliance on coal and fossil fuel, which would wreak havoc on the lives of people who work in those industries. Ocasio-Cortez accepted, saying she'd be "happy" to go, adding that the Green New Deal was written to fund coal-miner pensions. "We want a just transition to make sure we are investing in jobs across those swaths of the country," she said.

All in all, it seemed like an uncharacteristically cordial exchange for two members of Congress. And not even a month later, that cordiality is out the window: Barr has reportedly withdrawn his invitation, saying that Ocasio-Cortez has to first apologize to Texas representative Dan Crenshaw for a completely unrelated event before he brings her to meet with miners. Crenshaw was one of the first and most vociferous critics to pile on to Minnesota representative Ilhan Omar for out-of-context comments about 9/11. When he shared a tweet that falsely claimed Omar said the 9/11 attacks weren't terrorism, Ocasio-Cortez pointed out: "You refuse to co-sponsor the 9/11 Victim’s Compensation Fund, yet have the audacity to drum resentment towards Ilhan w/completely out-of-context quotes. In 2018, right-wing extremists were behind almost ALL US domestic terrorist killings. Why don’t you go do something about that?"

So now Barr is demanding that Ocasio-Cortez apologize to Crenshaw if she wants to accept his invitation, writing in a letter to her office that her comments "demonstrate a lack of civility that is becoming far too common in the U.S. House of Representatives." An apology's not likely to happen, though. Corbin Trent, a spokesman for Ocasio-Cortez, told The Courier-Journal, "Luckily, we still have open borders with Kentucky. We don’t need Congressman Barr to meet with coal miners and have a town hall, though we’d love his participation if we do."

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:21 pm

If I was her I'd get in touch with Kentucky's Coal Miners associations and go meet them anyway. If he wants to play bullshit politics she can play too.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Kentucky produces 5% of US coal and the mining workforce is less than 1% of that state's total workforce.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:12 pm
Kentucky Republicans Worried Inviting AOC to Meet with Coal Miners Might Backfire

:snippity:

In response, Kentucky Republican congressman Andy Barr invited Ocasio-Cortez to come meet coal miners in his state "who will tell you what the Green New Deal would mean for their families, their paychecks." His concern, he said, is that the Green New Deal would phase out U.S. reliance on coal and fossil fuel, which would wreak havoc on the lives of people who work in those industries. Ocasio-Cortez accepted, saying she'd be "happy" to go, adding that the Green New Deal was written to fund coal-miner pensions. "We want a just transition to make sure we are investing in jobs across those swaths of the country," she said.

How about all that dirty coal wreaking havoc since long on the health of people and properties where all that dirty coal is burnt?

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:12 pm

How about all that dirty coal wreaking havoc since long on the health of people and properties where all that dirty coal is burnt?
There are active local organizations that fight mountain top removal mining and all the effects. She should be hooking up with them.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Leonard Pitts, Jr.

Verified account

@LeonardPittsJr1
4h4 hours ago
More Leonard Pitts, Jr. Retweeted Jeff Bradley
Seeing a lot of this kind of thing after my column asserting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s smarts. The shrill hysteria and sheer volume of it suggests this woman frightens the GOP (and its bots) even more than I thought. Apologies to Bill, but methinks they do protest too much.😂
An example of the stuff he is getting-

tek

Post by tek » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:04 pm

Cletus: "Hey! Thesaurus is MY favorite dinosaur!"
There's no way back
from there to here

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:42 am

The fallout continues for the minor league baseball team that earlier this week showed a video that suggested that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is one of America’s “enemies of freedom.”
Dos Equis and Tecate beers, both owned Heineken International, announced Thursday that they would no longer sponsor the Fresno Grizzlies days after the Triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals played the controversial video between games of a Memorial Day doubleheader against El Paso.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-he ... utType=amp

I know that this is Fresno, but you have to be a special kind of stupid not to realize that if Tecate is your major sponsor, showing what amounts to a threat against a Latina politician is probably not a good idea.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:42 am

“Based on their investigation, it is clear to us that this was an honest mistake by a long-time employee and was not politically motivated,” Jennifer Giglio, vice president of communications for the Nationals, told the Bee. “They have put processes in place to ensure it does not happen again and we are comfortable with those procedures.”
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:24 am

BS

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 am

So you say that putting AOC up with El Fidel may be politically motivated and is not an honest mistake? I'm really shocked. I firmly believe that these are all well meaning people like the one who wanted to spare the POTUS the view of the damaged USS Mc Cain.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:42 am
The fallout continues for the minor league baseball team that earlier this week showed a video that suggested that Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) is one of America’s “enemies of freedom.”
Dos Equis and Tecate beers, both owned Heineken International, announced Thursday that they would no longer sponsor the Fresno Grizzlies days after the Triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals played the controversial video between games of a Memorial Day doubleheader against El Paso.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-he ... utType=amp

I know that this is Fresno, but you have to be a special kind of stupid not to realize that if Tecate is your major sponsor, showing what amounts to a threat against a Latina politician is probably not a good idea.
I thinks they calls that noo - kle - ur strength stoo - pit!!!!!!
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:02 am

Heh. :boxing:

https://mobile.twitter. com/mPinoe/status/1144759622865211393
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:12 am

:boxing: Strong women!! Yay!! :boxing:

For those who didn't see it , Rapinoe was excellent in the match against a very, very good France team and her two goals were well-struck beauties. The match was probably the best of the tournament so far between probably the two best teams in the competition and a credit to women's soccer (or football, as it's kniwn in that other strange and distant country, the Rest of the World!).

That was a quarter-final; their semi final on Tuesday is against an improving England team which hadnt conceded a goal in its previous 4 or 5 matches. So it's a tough fixture (as a semi-final should be, of course) but USA should win it.

I love the way AOC, Rapinoe, the pussy-hat demonstrators and other women succeed in saying a cheerful, hate-free, attention-grabbing "fuck you!" to the sexist, boorish, resentful male dinosaurs of the RW resenterati. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:47 am

And...it will be no surprise when these two are hired to be police officers of a nearby municipality.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:48 am

Is this legal?

Today, for $64.95, anyone who wants to make a political prop out of Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the Republican Party’s newest antagonist, can buy a 5-foot-6 cardboard cutout of her at Walmart’s online store.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/27/us/p ... p=WT.mc_id
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:00 am

It's complicated. Right of publicity is a state-law thing, not federal. And the politician angle complicates things further, as does the fact that it's a likeness, not something being used for sponsorship. Also, there are probably PR downsides to suing and so on. So there's maybe some risk for the company making & selling them, but they're in fairly safe territory, at least until some hick town police department gets caught using one of those as a target for annual pistol qualifications. And even then they'll just have to pull it from the market for a little while, or maybe go to online-only sales.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am

Ohio man charged with allegedly threatening AOC on Facebook

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oh ... d_nn_tw_ma
According to federal authorities, suspect Timothy J. Ireland Jr., 41, posted on social media, "She should be shot. Can’t fire me, my employer would load the gun for me."

The statement was brought to the attention of United States Capitol Police on July 23, and federal authorities launched an investigation. An affidavit in support of the complaint against Ireland describes how Capitol Police Special Agent Lawrence Anyaso phoned Ireland Aug. 2 to ask if the post was his.

Asked if he has a gun, the suspect said he does and carries it concealed, which would be a crime because Ireland is a felon prohibited from carrying firearms, according to the affidavit.

Ireland was convicted in Florida in 1996 for "dealing in stolen property," and he had active warrants, one for violating probation in that case and another for failing to appear in a marijuana possession case in Cook County, Georgia, according to the charging document.

tek

Post by tek » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:27 am

That guy is a genius! :sarcasm:
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “General Politics”