Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and wife indicted for misuse of campaign funds

Dan1100

Re: Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and wife indicted for misuse of campaign funds

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Looks like he is going to need some of the Pecker Immunity everybody is getting. . . :P

Helen KennedyVerified account @HelenKennedy

The indictment details money he spent on what appears to be at least 5 mistresses.
•Hunter and wife arrived and left court separately today, did not speak or even look at each other.
•Then he goes on TV to blame her for any fraudulent campaign spending.
Yiiiiiiiiikes.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:18 pm

AH, now I see, it was Hillary's fault!
(Hunter's Attorney) Vega reiterated accusations that the U.S. Attorney’s Office was acting out of political bias, pointing to two prosecutors on the case who attended a Democratic fundraiser for then-presidential candidate Hillary Clinton in 2015 in La Jolla.

The prosecutors were there in an official capacity at the request of the U.S. Secret Service as a matter of routine, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

Vega said others with the Department of Justice have not heard of similar requests from protection details.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:02 am

I always check out the lawyers. Greg Vega, attorney for Duncan Hunter (but not, I think, representing Mrs. Hunter), is a former AUSA and is a life-long friend of Gonzalo Curiel. Does everybody remember Judge Curiel? He's the judge trump accused of bias in the trump University case because Curiel's parents are Mexican. trump tweeted some outrageous accusations against Curiel, and as this took place fairly early into the illegitimate trump presidency, people sat up and took notice. Vega staunchly defended Judge Curiel.

Vega is a well-known and highly respected attorney. Hunter is damned lucky to have him.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 am

I think Mrs. Hunter will very soon be more properly referred to as Hunter's ex-wife. Apparently, some of the expenses at issue are related to his affairs, and that makes it even more ironic that his legal strategy is blaming it on his wife spending on things he didn't know about.

I mean, this is almost Trumpian, his affairs are his wife's fault!

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 am

Hunter’s a piece of work, eh? Check out his face while he’s waiting for the question from the blond Foxbabe. He’s practiced that innocent “Who, me?!?” look for years.

As others have said far more eloquently, this is a real window into the mind of GOP polIticians...lie, cheat, steal and lie some more, spend OP’s money on what you will, all the while pretending your values are high above everyone else’s. Accuse them of the shit you’re doing so that when they accuse you...hey, I said it first!
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 am

Seriously, are Democrats going to take the House because the Republicans are under indictment, on trial, or in detention or prison?

Has this level of graft and grift been going on under our noses for decades, or is it just flourishing under DDD (Diaper Don's Daddy)?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:22 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 am
Seriously, are Democrats going to take the House because the Republicans are under indictment, on trial, or in detention or prison?
I don't know but I'll take it.
Has this level of graft and grift been going on under our noses for decades, or is it just flourishing under DDD (Diaper Don's Daddy)?
Yes.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:08 am

If you can persuade your scumbag client to shut up and not have press conferences twice a day, the publicity would die down, Mr. Vega.

Why is Vega allowing his client to throw Mrs. Hunter to the slavering wolf pack over and over :?: It's not a good look for Hunter. IAALs: Is there some kind of stratagery involved here :?: Is it just Hunter being a colossal dickwad?
But something not mentioned in this week’s indictment regarded what Vega called “personal indiscretions of the congressman that the prosecutors seem intent on charging. (The prosecutors even said they have ‘pictures’ to prove it).”

Vega feared disclosure of details that reflected “spending of campaign funds for extramarital infidelities and excessive drinking.”

The attorney added: “While there may be evidence of infidelity, irresponsibility, or alcohol dependence, once properly understood, :rotflmao: the underlying facts do not equate to criminal activity;
https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/20 ... itch-hunt/

I love that "...once properly understood..." bit.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:17 am

His own lawyer admits Hunter is an irresponsible alcoholic adulterer. :roll:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:38 am

Volkonski wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:17 am
We are supposed to understand that Hunter's condition is not caused by Hunter being irresponsible. Hunter's condition has been caused by being married to a horrible, vile, evil, nasty, and unsupportive woman.

Misogyny at its finest.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:08 am

Azastan wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:38 am
Volkonski wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:17 am
We are supposed to understand that Hunter's condition is not caused by Hunter being irresponsible. Hunter's condition has been caused by being married to a horrible, vile, evil, nasty, and unsupportive woman.

Misogyny at its finest.
Also, too, though, the constant refrain that Hunter is an alcoholic (and for all I know, he is) will garner some sympathy, much along the lines of "It's the alcohol addiction. I never woulda done any of this bad stuff otherwise."

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

Many alcoholics don't do financial crimes or cheat or, well, lots of things Hunter has allegedly done.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:58 am

I'm one, and I didn't.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 pm

To drunk to not do all these crime things, but still sober enough to represent YOU, Vote Duncan!

*Message paid for by Smirnov Vodka and not connected to any campaign or candidate

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:50 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am
Many alcoholics don't do financial crimes or cheat or, well, lots of things Hunter has allegedly done.
My father was an alcoholic. Served 3 years in Lompoc for embezzling and tax evasion.

But he never ran for Congress.
Image Image Image Image Image

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Hunter's condition has been caused by being married to a horrible, vile, evil, nasty, and unsupportive woman.
He married up. :mrgreen:
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Gregg wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 pm
To drunk to not do all these crime things, but still sober enough to represent YOU, Vote Duncan!

*Message paid for by Smirnov Vodka and not connected to any campaign or candidate
:rotflmao:
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 pm

Smirnov vodka is NOT made in Russia. For some reason their recent advertisements seem to be empathizing that. :lol:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm

08/23/18
DC restaurant offers special named after indicted GOP lawmaker

A Washington, D.C., bar is offering a drink special after it was listed among the locales where Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) allegedly spent campaign funds illegally.

El Tamarindo, located in the district's Adams Morgan neighborhood, is offering a $10 "Duncan Combo" on Thursday and Friday that includes a steak taco and a Jose Cuervo tequila shot.

The restaurant is capitalizing on the controversy after a Department of Justice indictment showed that Hunter spent $462.46 at the bar in March 2016. Hunter allegedly visited the bar with a bachelor party, ordering 30 shots of tequila and one steak. <snip>
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... p-lawmaker

The tweet at the article:
El Tamarindo DC
@ElTamarindoDC
Amigos! As a nod to the #Duncan controversy. TODAY AND TOMORROW ONLY, we are offering our $10 “Duncan Combo” It includes one steak taco and a Jose Cuervo tequila shot, Salud! #ElTamDC
https://dc.eater.com/2018/8/23/17773120 ... can-hunter
10:38 AM - Aug 23, 2018
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:03 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 pm
Smirnov vodka is NOT made in Russia. For some reason, their recent advertisements seem to be empathizing that. :lol:
I've noticed that. :-D
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:36 pm

I liked this twitter comment: "Threw his wife under the bus and charged the bus fare to his campaign."
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

HisMexcellence

Post by HisMexcellence » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Dolly wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm
08/23/18
DC restaurant offers special named after indicted GOP lawmaker

A Washington, D.C., bar is offering a drink special after it was listed among the locales where Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) allegedly spent campaign funds illegally.

El Tamarindo, located in the district's Adams Morgan neighborhood, is offering a $10 "Duncan Combo" on Thursday and Friday that includes a steak taco and a Jose Cuervo tequila shot.

The restaurant is capitalizing on the controversy after a Department of Justice indictment showed that Hunter spent $462.46 at the bar in March 2016. Hunter allegedly visited the bar with a bachelor party, ordering 30 shots of tequila and one steak. <snip>
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in ... p-lawmaker

The tweet at the article:
El Tamarindo DC
@ElTamarindoDC
Amigos! As a nod to the #Duncan controversy. TODAY AND TOMORROW ONLY, we are offering our $10 “Duncan Combo” It includes one steak taco and a Jose Cuervo tequila shot, Salud! #ElTamDC
https://dc.eater.com/2018/8/23/17773120 ... can-hunter
10:38 AM - Aug 23, 2018
Great post-bar close eats for the desperate. So good.

Also on that list was Stoney's, which is where a lot of the LGBT community go for food when they are drunk. Awesome Grilled Cheese's, but if you don't know a friend whose a regular or live around the corner...well it's a bit "curious" to see that as one of his stops...

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Female Fox News panel tears into embattled GOP lawmaker who blamed wife for corruption allegations

A group of female Fox News panelists tore into embattled Republican lawmaker, Rep. Duncan Hunter (Calif.), this week after he blamed his wife for their indictment on alleged misuse of campaign funds.

Hunter and his wife, Margaret, were indicted this week after they allegedly spent campaign donations on “fast food, movie tickets, golf outings, video games, coffee, groceries, home utilities, and expensive meals."

Hunter appeared on Fox News' "The Story with Martha MacCallum" on Thursday and blamed his wife, saying she was the couple’s power of attorney and that she handled the expenses.

MacCallum on Friday brought on three other female panelists who scoffed at Hunter’s finger-pointing.

“Stutter much? This guy — his body language, the way he’s presenting himself — clearly I know he’s innocent until proven guilty but let me say a few things about this: what kind of wimp blames their wife?” Washington Examiner columnist Capri Cafaro said on Fox News.

“He shouldn’t have crossed her because if he does and they get divorced he can’t benefit from that spousal immunity. They really should have a united front here if he knows what’s good for him but apparently he doesn’t and he’s a coward,” she continued.

Fox News contributor Lisa Boothe joked that Hunter now has a “lot bigger things” to fear than the indictment now that he crossed his wife.

“This does not look good, 600 campaign expenditures for bunny flights — to fly his kids’ bunny to Washington, D.C.,” Boothe continued.

The 47-page indictment also included campaign expenditures for 30 tequila shots and steak, she pointed out.

<SNIP>
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/40361 ... g-wife-for

video at the link

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Duncan Hunter on campaign funds indictment: 'Leave my wife out of it'

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) on Tuesday told a reporter to “leave my wife out of it” as he discussed their recent indictment on charges of misusing campaign funds, days after he appeared to blame his wife, Margaret, for the charges.

“Leave my wife out of it. Leave my family out of it,” he said in an interview with 10News, an ABC affiliate in San Diego. “It’s me they’re after anyway. They’re not after my wife. They want to take me down. That’s what they’re up to.”

Both Duncan and Margaret Hunter were indicted last week, charged with misusing at least $250,000 in campaign funds for personal expenses. Hunter is accused of using the funds to pay for trips to Italy and Hawaii, his family’s dental work, his children’s tuition and travel for relatives, among other personal expenses.

Hunter said in an interview on Fox News last week that his wife was responsible for the campaign spending.

"She was also the campaign manager, so whatever she did, that'll be looked at too, I'm sure," Hunter said at the time. "But I didn't do it. I didn't spend any money illegally." <SNIP>
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ife-out-of

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Media conspiracy to bring his wife into it.

Return to “General Politics”