Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and wife indicted for misuse of campaign funds

Dolly

Re: Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and wife indicted for misuse of campaign funds

Post by Dolly » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:21 pm

UT editorial board calls on Hunter to resign.
<UT = San Diego Union Tribune>
EDITORIALS
Editorial: Rep. Hunter should accept responsibility and resign, then plan to rebuild his life

Hunter’s descent into a caricature of corruption doesn’t have to be his last act.
By THE SAN DIEGO UNION-TRIBUNE EDITORIAL BOARD
JUNE 14, 2019 |3:43 PM

A 47-page indictment released last August by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Diego laid out how Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Alpine, and wife Margaret had spent more than $250,000 in campaign donations from 2010 to 2017 for their personal benefit and the benefit of their family. The 60-count indictment quoted messages in which the couple discussed strategies to create cover stories to justify the expenses — and the congressman reacting profanely when the U.S. Navy wouldn’t set up a visit to a base in Italy so he could rationalize what turned out to be a $14,261 family vacation there in 2015. It also showed Hunter had been warned that such spending was illegal by his campaign treasurer in 2010.

The case that prosecutors presented was thoroughly documented and utterly outrageous. But instead of doing what would be expected of a former Marine — own up to his mistakes, resign, accept the consequences and plan how to rebuild his life — Hunter has instead chosen delusion and denial. He has depicted himself as the victim of a nefarious conspiracy involving the media and a Democratic cabal in the Trump administration. He has also suggested that many of the charges were run up by his wife while he was serving in Washington. These are not the actions of an honorable man. Yet Hunter managed to narrowly win re-election in his heavily conservative East County district last November.

Now Margaret Hunter no longer is ready to silently accept her husband’s propaganda and deceit.On Thursday, she pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy that named her husband as her co-conspirator. She agreed to testify to state and federal grand juries about the case. Yet the congressman continued to bluster as if he’s being victimized, saying that “it’s obvious that the Department of Justice went after her to get to me for political reasons.”

The San Diego Union-Tribune Editorial Board has long been critical of Rep. Hunter — not just for his lavish spending of campaign funds. We’ve also rapped him for his irresponsible call for an attack on North Korea that would lead to hundreds of thousands of dead South Koreans and for the recklessness and bigotry of his 2018 campaign against Democratic opponent Ammar Campa-Najjar.

But we take no joy in Hunter’s descent into a caricature of both corruption and demagoguery. We urge those who remain close to him to urge him to do what he should have done the day the indictment laid plain his perfidy: own up to his mistakes, resign, accept the consequences and plan how to rebuild his life. He is only 42. Even if he is imprisoned for several years, he can find a path to a constructive, emotionally healthy place.
<snip>
original link = PAYWALL
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/op ... -WM1vecf40

ARCHIVE
https://archive.is/fjDaA

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 pm

I understand the NRA has an opening for a former Marine with questionable ethics.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:34 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 pm
I understand the NRA has an opening for a former Marine with questionable ethics.
:like:

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:31 pm
:rotflmao: :clap:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am

So this latest DoJ file reveals that Duncan Hunter had an affair with at least three different lobbyists, one of his own staff members, and an aide to a member of the GOP leadership team.
Trying to find a link to the whole story.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Sounds like he was sleeping with everyone but his own wife.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am
So this latest DoJ file reveals that Duncan Hunter had an affair with at least three different lobbyists, one of his own staff members, and an aide to a member of the GOP leadership team.
Maybe this will help. See links/documents/tweets/whatever in this article

DOJ Filing Claims Indicted GOP Rep Used Campaign Money For “Intimate” Liaisons With Multiple Women
https://www.joemygod.com/2019/06/doj-fi ... ple-women/

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:19 pm

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

DOJ filing!

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Thank you. I hadn't made any progress.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Gee, I wonder if that goes some distance toward explaining why Hunter's wife flipped? :think:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:49 pm

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:09 pm
Sounds like he was sleeping with everyone but his own wife.
But it was his wife who paid those hotel and Uber bills!

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:43 pm

Kendra wrote:

I wonder who was paying the lobbyists and how much Jr was influenced by their agent's willingness to sleep with him? Or did he think they were just swooning over his vape stick? ;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:49 pm

Kendra wrote:
https:// mobile.twitter.com/samstein/status/1143538810359287808
Dang - this guy must have what lacks in the WH - stamina :lol:

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:51 pm

The man (and I use that term loosely) is not giving up easily. Another Republican will probably replace him. There is some speculation that Issa might actually go after that seat. In any event, this is the right wing of the Hunter family's last hurrah.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/darrell ... its-report

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:55 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:17 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm
I'm glad to read this. I'm hoping her guilty plea comes with a nicely reduced sentence and agreement to testify against the man who threw her under the bus. Now we wait.
And who cheated on her. Serially. With campaign funds.

Hunter is a real piece of work shit.
:like:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 pm
Gee, I wonder if that goes some distance toward explaining why Hunter's wife flipped? :think:
Ya think?!? :rotflmao:

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

kate520

Post by kate520 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm

(Hiya jonbeck!)

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 pm

jonbeck wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:51 pm
The man (and I use that term loosely) is not giving up easily. Another Republican will probably replace him. There is some speculation that Issa might actually go after that seat. In any event, this is the right wing of the Hunter family's last hurrah.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/darrell ... its-report
I'll be glad to see that mini-dynasty die off.

I wish the Democratic party would take San Diego county seriously. This is the second time the UT's investigative reporting has taken down a corrupt Republican, only to have the Democrats run a third string candidate and blow the opportunity. If the party had put someone stronger than Busby or Campa-Najjar "on-deck" ahead of time, these seats would be "D."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Aaron Blake

Verified account

@AaronBlake
4h4 hours ago
More
Duncan Hunter’s website has a “Family Values” section.

He is very concerned about the sanctity of marriage.

https://hunter.house.gov/issue/family-values

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Somerset wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 pm

I wish the Democratic party would take San Diego county seriously. This is the second time the UT's investigative reporting has taken down a corrupt Republican, only to have the Democrats run a third string candidate and blow the opportunity. If the party had put someone stronger than Busby or Campa-Najjar "on-deck" ahead of time, these seats would be "D."
{Josh Butner also ran}

It could have been possible, but I am not sure about that. I live in East San Diego County but I am just outside of his District.
I have met Ammar, been to some of his events and we contributed to his campaign.
I am a member of about a dozen local neighborhood Facebook groups. Anytime Duncan's indictment was mentioned, numerous comments were along the lines of: "but he has not been found guilty".

I posted this comment from an old RWNJ man that I know.
I'm voting for Duncan Hunter ... period! I don't care what he may have done, I care about how he will vote. I am not about to put another democrat in the House .... period!

If Trump is to succeed, he needs the House and the Senate ... period!
viewtopic.php?p=1032403#p1032403

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm

Dolly wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 pm
Somerset wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:21 pm

{Josh Butner also ran}

It could have been possible, but I am not sure about that. I live in East San Diego County but I am just outside of his District.
I have met Ammar, been to some of his events and we contributed to his campaign.
I am a member of about a dozen local neighborhood Facebook groups. Anytime Duncan's indictment was mentioned, numerous comments were along the lines of: "but he has not been found guilty".

I posted this comment from an old RWNJ man that I know.
I'm voting for Duncan Hunter ... period! I don't care what he may have done, I care about how he will vote. I am not about to put another democrat in the House .... period!

If Trump is to succeed, he needs the House and the Senate ... period!
viewtopic.php?p=1032403#p1032403
The RWNJs will always vote Republican and will rationalize their votes with their stupidity, but they (usually) don't decide a race. I think there were enough people in the middle that could have been swayed by a stronger and somewhat less controversial Democratic candidate. Hunter barely won (51.7%, compared with 63.5% in 2016 and 71.2% in 2014) and with more and more people moving into East County from Central/North County because of high housing costs, I think this district could have flipped with better leadership and a stronger candidate.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 pm

Off Topic
Somerset wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm

The RWNJs will always vote Republican and will rationalize their votes with their stupidity, but they (usually) don't decide a race. I think there were enough people in the middle that could have been swayed by a stronger and somewhat less controversial Democratic candidate. Hunter barely won (51.7%, compared with 63.5% in 2016 and 71.2% in 2014) and with more and more people moving into East County from Central/North County because of high housing costs, I think this district could have flipped with better leadership and a stronger candidate.
Yes, IF there was a stronger/better candidate... but Ammar was the only one to make it to the Primary. And still at this point, he is the only Democrat running for 2020. I agree about "better leadership. Is there ANY?

There are now two Republicans. And Issa waiting in the wings?
Matt Rahn (R)
<just says he is running - no Bio or other info>
https://ballotpedia.org/Matt_Rahn

Larry Wilske (R)
https://ballotpedia.org/Larry_Wilske

The following list of potential and declared candidates is unofficial. It will be updated after the candidate filing deadline has passed and the official list of candidates becomes available.
https://ballotpedia.org/California%27s_ ... l_District

ETA links to (R) candidates and make this off-topic. Sorry for threadjack

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 pm

So has anyone guessed what large non-profit advocacy group was meeting in Reno in 2010?

(I think I know....).

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm

Azastan wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:57 pm
So has anyone guessed what large non-profit advocacy group was meeting in Reno in 2010?

(I think I know....).
The National Association Saving Children in Concentration Camps?

Return to “General Politics”