Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and wife indicted for misuse of campaign funds

Volkonski

Re: Duncan Hunter (CA-50) and wife indicted for misuse of campaign funds

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Bianca Bruno

@BiancaDBruno
7m7 minutes ago
More
#BREAKING Margaret Hunter pleads guilty to misusing @Rep_Hunter campaign funds for family trip to Italy in 2015. Sentencing date set for Sept. 16, a week after her husband’s trial set to begin @CourthouseNews
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:23 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:21 pm
Bianca Bruno

@BiancaDBruno
7m7 minutes ago
More
#BREAKING Margaret Hunter pleads guilty to misusing @Rep_Hunter campaign funds for family trip to Italy in 2015. Sentencing date set for Sept. 16, a week after her husband’s trial set to begin @CourthouseNews
I am going out on a limb and guessing that a week after her husband's trial begins will be a day or 2 after she testifies against him.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Someone's going to need to help me with California law and spouses testifying against their spouse. Don't some jurisdictions require the spouse to agree to allow the other spouse to testify?

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Jim wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Someone's going to need to help me with California law and spouses testifying against their spouse. Don't some jurisdictions require the spouse to agree to allow the other spouse to testify?
Under Cal. Evid. Code sec. 970, spouses may not be compelled to testify against each other. The testifying spouse, however, holds the privilege; that person may choose to testify (if, for example, her plea agreement requires it).

There's the related spousal-communication privilege, which bar evidences of communication between spouses. But a communication between a married person and the Italian travel agent, for example, wouldn't be covered.

(And for those playing along at home, federal courts follow the privilege laws of the states in which they are located.)
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Jim wrote:
This is a criminal trial in federal court, so federal law, not California state law, applies. Under Trammel v. United States, 445 U.S. 51 (1980), the privilege belongs to the witness spouse, not the defendant spouse, meaning that Mrs. Hunter can testify if she wants to (or refuse if she wants to). I assume part of her plea bargain was an agreement to testify.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:50 pm

bob wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:44 pm

(And for those playing along at home, federal courts follow the privilege laws of the states in which they are located.)
Only in (some) civil cases, not in criminal cases. Federal Rule of Evidence 501.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Jim wrote:
It's Federal Court, right?

By memory, in Federal Criminal Court, marital communications are privileged and the defendant hold the privilege, but there are exceptions to the privilege for planning criminal activity. However, the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine does not apply so if the government can't use the communication itself, they can use the information that the communication led them to.

For anything other than privileged marital communications, the witness holds the privilege and can testify if they want to.

If that's not right, I am sure someone will come and correct me.

edit: ninja'd
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 pm

That's why I love this board! :D

Thanks all!!!

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 pm

Dr. Caligari wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:50 pm
Only in (some) civil cases, not in criminal cases. Federal Rule of Evidence 501.
True. But federal law for criminal cases is that the testifying spouse holds the privilege for spousal immunity, both spouses hold the privilege for marital communications. But the marital communication privilege applies only to words and acts intended to be communications; it wouldn't apply, for example, to withdrawing money from your husband's campaign fund for personal trips.

There's also the crime-fraud exception (or, more accurately in this scenario, the joint participation exception), so spouses discussing committing crimes together wouldn't be privileged. Generally.*

* There are a few contrary cases, but the 9th appears to follow the majority rule.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm glad to read this. I'm hoping her guilty plea comes with a nicely reduced sentence and agreement to testify against the man who threw her under the bus. Now we wait.
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm
I'm glad to read this. I'm hoping her guilty plea comes with a nicely reduced sentence and agreement to testify against the man who threw her under the bus. Now we wait.
And who cheated on her. Serially. With campaign funds.

Hunter is a real piece of work shit.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Indicted Rep. Duncan Hunter Threw His Wife Under the Bus. Now She’s Driving It.
by DOUG PORTER on JUNE 13, 2019

Editordude: Things are moving fast in the Margaret Hunter and Duncan Hunter federal campaign finance cases. After Margaret pleaded guilty to one count (see below) Thursday morning, Duncan- true to form – released this statement:

“I do not have the full details of Margaret’s case, but it’s obvious that the Department of Justice (DOJ) went after her to get to me for political reasons. As Margaret’s case concludes, she should be left alone. I am the Congressman, this is my campaign and any further attention on this issue should be directed solely to me.”

Now read Doug Porter’s full report below, updated slightly.
<snip>
https://obrag.org/2019/06/indicted-rep- ... riving-it/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:17 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:06 pm
And who cheated on her. Serially. With campaign funds.

Hunter is a real piece of work shit.
And blamed her for it!

I'm not clear whether it was her fault that the money for his affair being stolen was her fault, if if the affair was her fault, or just generally, oit was her fault NO COLLUSION NO OBSTRUCTION! The Mueller Report actually said that Hillary and the Dems killed Kennedy....and Lincoln!

I saw it on Hannity!
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:18 pm

“I do not have the full details of Margaret’s case, but it’s obvious that the Department of Justice (DOJ) went after her to get to me for political reasons. As Margaret’s case concludes, she should be left alone. I am the Congressman, this is my campaign and any further attention on this issue should be directed solely to me.”

Mighty white of the guy to say that when the second main reason (after her being pretty guilty her own self) her name even came up is because he pointed at her and said "She done it, not me!"

What a guy. :dance:

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

It’s been over an hour since Gregg wrote the post above. Since no one else has commented on it I will. I was appalled to read the phrase at the beginning of his comments and also very surprised. I expected more of you, Gregg.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 pm

Interesting question. Since Gregg's comment and use of the phrase was bitingly sarcastic, it gave me wry smile. I had forgotten that the phrase was originally used as a compliment, and had to be reminded by a bit of googling (since Gregg did not use it as a compliment).

So is the expression, in any usage, unacceptable? I reckon that used without the sarcasm is would be. But in this context? Reddit thinks yes. Because of the original usage. And then no. Because today it is only used sarcastically, as a way of pointing out that someone thinks they are superior but is not.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:04 am

I was being sarcastic, I'd never say something things like that any other way. If it bothers you I'll delete it or modify it so some other insult. I had a rough day yesterday getting blistered pretty hard for saying I'm afaid ony any dog "big enough to make a Korean dish for two, which is a terrible thought, but true"

I've been to Korea and in restaurants where canine meat is on the menu, so I didn't consider it racists because its actually true, but I lost that one, too.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:12 pm

FWIW when I read Gregg's comment I interpreted it as being used sarcastically. It didn't jump out at me as sounding as if he was using it in the way it can and has been used as an insinuation that white folk are inclined to be superior in various characteristics or behavior.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm

I probably over-reacted to Gregg’s choice of words and am sorry for that. My daughter adopted an African-American child and it’s very painful when I hear people commenting on it. I had hoped things would be different by 2019, but apparently not.
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 pm

I'm only going to say one thing about adoption. Our dear leader and his Wifehorn brought in children to their home.

/s
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 pm

Sunrise wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 pm
I probably over-reacted to Gregg’s choice of words and am sorry for that. My daughter adopted an African-American child and it’s very painful when I hear people commenting on it. I had hoped things would be different by 2019, but apparently not.
I thought Gregg was speaking in Hunter's voice or that of one of his supporters, as a bit of sarcasm.

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Sunrise wrote:
I probably over-reacted to Gregg’s choice of words and am sorry for that.
For what it's worth, I think you duly reacted. Because words matter, and sarcasm is not always obvious. I appreciate you speaking up.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 am

Sunrise wrote:
I don't think it's an over-reaction though. I think this showed that we tend to interpret things through our own lenses, especially when intent is not as clear as the person may have thought. What's nice about this group is usually we can discuss it openly and usually without totally harsh words, although understandably many of us are sprung tight as a stretched rubber band due to... we all know what. :bighug: all around.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:28 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:29 pm
Sunrise wrote:
I thought Gregg was speaking in Hunter's voice or that of one of his supporters, as a bit of sarcasm.
My thought as well.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:21 pm

I admit I'm an insensitive jerk, but I didn't mean it. :bag:

this time...

Return to “General Politics”