Post by Kendra » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 pm
Not what she signed up for.
:violin: :violin: :violin:

ZekeB

Re: Maria Butina - NRA's Back Door to Russia

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:17 pm

You'd have to be hell bent on betraying your country to give into someone with her looks.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:38 pm
Russia keeps alluding to "health issues," but they aren't saying what they are. She has a right to privacy, but I can't help thinking there aren't any.
Well if there are I'd think her past contacts would be a bit worried.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:26 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:17 pm
You'd have to be hell bent on betraying your country to give into someone with her looks.
She the perfect "attainable woman."

If a truly beautiful late 20's women pretended to be interested, you'd know it was scam. But Mariya isn't truly beautiful or even hot. She is just plain enough for a dumpy 50 something guy to believe she is attainable, and young and attainable is more irresistible than young and beautiful.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Russia keeps alluding to "health issues," but they aren't saying what they are. She has a right to privacy, but I can't help thinking there aren't any.
I read she has arthritis and swelling in one leg, for which she gets only Tylenol. She’s also sleep deprived. She has been denied dental care in detention.

That’s her story.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 pm
ZekeB wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
I read she has arthritis and swelling in one leg, for which she gets only Tylenol. She’s also sleep deprived. She has been denied dental care in detention.

That’s her story.
So she is getting the Republican health care plan. I don't see a problem. Besides, I am sure the NRA will be very happy to spring for extra medical/dental, amirite?

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:07 pm

Boo fucking hoo.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Daily Beast
Alleged Russian Agent Marina Butina Moved to Virginia Jail, Unclear Why

Maria Butina, the Russian national accused of acting as a Kremlin agent in the United States, was abruptly moved from a jail in Washington to a lockup in Alexandria, Virginia, according to her lawyer.

“I got a collect call from Maria from Alexandria Detention at midnight last night, but was disconnected before we could speak,” Robert Driscoll told The Daily Beast. “I couldn’t get in to the facility last night, but visited her this morning. She was not informed of the reason for the move. I was not notified of the move, and still am unaware of the reason.”

Amy Bertsch, a spokeswoman for the Alexandria Sheriff’s Office, confirmed Butina arrived around 7 p.m. Friday at William G. Truesdale Adult Detention Center, which also houses federal inmates. Paul Manafort, President Donald Trump’s former campaign chief, is also currently being held at the same jail, awaiting the verdict in his trial for a host of alleged financial crimes.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on why Butina had been moved. Butina has pleaded not guilty to charges she acted as an covert Russian agent.

While the Manafort case is on trial two blocks from detention center, Butina's case is slated for federal court in D.C. The jail has housed other high-profile inmates who have been on trial in D.C., including Ahmed Abu Khatallah, the Libyan militia leader who was sentenced to 22 years in prison for his role in Benghazi attacks. He was housed in the Alexandria detention center from his arrival in the U.S. in 2014 until this summer.

¡Sterngard! come home.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

rt.com (which I'm assuming is skewed if not fake news) reports she's being strip searched excessively often. They may have been the ones who said she's not allowed outdoors much.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Britain Eakin

@BritainEakin
Follow Follow @BritainEakin
More
Prosecutors say Mariia Butina's attorney is violating a court rule prohibiting public statements on the merits/evidence in the case. A 4-page letter filed on the docket today outlines several media interviews the attorney gave. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... utina.html

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

tek

Post by tek » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:18 pm

:popcorn:

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Robert Driscoll, Butina's attorney, also represented: Ta Da!: Joe Arpaio.

He's a prominent D.C. lawyer, member of the Federalist Society, former AUSA. Who is paying his fees? He don't come cheap.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:17 pm

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:30 pm

House arrest? That chicken will fly the coop within a day.

KXG

Post by KXG » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm

NKVD answer to the problem would be a small caliber bullet behind th ear.
The Bush answer would be extraordinary rendition.
Putin’s used a variety of methods, including nerve agent.
Seems to me solitary in a SuperMax would be Butina’s best choice.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:19 pm

KXG wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm
NKVD answer to the problem would be a small caliber bullet behind th ear.
The Bush answer would be extraordinary rendition.
Putin’s used a variety of methods, including nerve agent.
Seems to me solitary in a SuperMax would be Butina’s best choice.
If she keeps her mouth shut, in a few years she'll be quietly traded for an American or British agent that the Russians have caught.

"I asked Osama bin Laden and he very strongly said that he had nothing to do with crashing airplanes into the World Trade Center and Pentagon. I don't see any reason it would be Al-Qaeda."

-George W. Bush

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:46 pm

https://www.thedailybeast.com/maria-but ... c-wise-man
When federal prosecutors charged Maria Butina with infiltrating the conservative movement on behalf of the Kremlin, questions began to swirl around a Washington think tank that had published her pro-GOP writing—and hosted then-candidate Donald Trump’s Russia-friendly first foreign-policy speech.

The executive director of the organization, the Center for the National Interest, insisted that its interaction with Butina was “very limited.”

But previously unreported emails and direct messages between Butina and officials at the Center show her relationship with the think tank’s president—former Richard Nixon adviser Dimitri Simes—was closer than previously understood. The two didn’t just make plans to have dinner together. According to emails and Twitter DMs reviewed by The Daily Beast, Simes looked to use his connections with Butina and her associate, Russian Central Bank official Alexandr Torshin, to advance the business interests of one of the Center’s most generous donors.

The Center’s executive director, Paul Saunders, declined to comment on the record for this story, as did Butina’s lawyer. An attorney for the donor—Maurice “Hank” Greenberg, the former chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and the one-time CEO of insurance and financial services giant AIG—said he did nothing inappropriate. Indeed, there’s no evidence that Greenberg requested the outreach or was even aware of it.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:14 am

The Government argues for a gag order. Robert Driscoll, defense counsel, is unable to keep his yap shut, giving interviews to the media about Butina and the trial.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... 83118.html

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Wife of Former N.R.A. President Tapped Accused Russian Agent in Pursuit of Jet Fuel Payday

WASHINGTON — For the young Russian gun rights activist studying in the United States, it would have been an unimaginably rich payday: $1 million to help broker the sale of Russian jet fuel to an American middleman. All she had to do was secure the fuel.

:snippity:

Ms. Butina’s efforts to deal in Russian jet fuel, detailed in hundreds of pages of previously unreported emails, were notable not just for their whiff of foreign intrigue but for who they involved: David Keene, a former president of the National Rifle Association and a prominent leader of the conservative movement, who has advised Republican candidates from Ronald Reagan to Mitt Romney. They also involved Mr. Keene’s wife, Donna, a well-connected Washington lobbyist, and Ms. Butina’s boyfriend, Paul Erickson, who ran Patrick J. Buchanan’s 1992 presidential campaign and who moved in rarefied conservative circles despite allegations of fraud in three states.

:snippity:

The driving force behind the jet fuel negotiations appears to have been Mr. Erickson, 56, a former board member of the American Conservative Union who was accused of defrauding investors in California, South Dakota and Virginia. The other major players were the Keenes, who first raised the idea of brokering a sale of Russian jet fuel and then put Ms. Butina and Mr. Erickson in touch with prospective buyers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/02/us/p ... n-spy.html

Ms. Butina was a busy girl. The NRA is revealing itself to be an even more corrupt and venal organization than was previously thought, at least by me.

tek

Post by tek » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:45 am

fwiw http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... e-jet-fuel
Keene reportedly connected Butina and Erickson with prospective buyers, including Israeli-American salesman Yoni Wiss.

"I knew they didn’t have any clue, because there’s no port in the world that could hold the amount of oil they were saying they could sell,” Wiss told the Times.

Digging the snow and the rain and the bright sunshine.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 pm

Maria makes an impassioned plea to the judge that she should be allowed to go on talk shows, look sexy, and make a lot of money telling her side of the story on the teevees. The Federales are cruelly keeping Ms. Butina from earning an honest buck and it isn't FAIR. :crying: :crying: :crying: Also, too, perhaps her attorneys would like her to earn that honest buck so they can get paid.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ument.html

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:40 pm

:violin:

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 pm

Off Topic
I discovered this Twitter account a few days ago and have made a lot of use of it when looking for documents and hoping to save PACER $$$ or spending a lot of time on RECAP.

https://twitter.com/big_cases

Big Cases Bot
@big_cases
Real-time updates on the latest filings in major cases in U.S. district courts and the U.S. Supreme Court. By @bradheath, @USATODAY.

github.com/bdheath/Big-Ca…

There are a ton of fascinating cases going on right now, and I'm spending too much time reading yummy, but time-consuming documents. :crying: Other Fogbowzers might find this Twitter account and the website useful. Sadly, Big Cases doesn't consider any GIL cases to be of sufficient importance for inclusion.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:12 pm

It is true that the case has garnered significant publicity. However, the government is largely to blame for this fact because of its efforts to “sex-up” its thin case, which makes its request to restrain Maria Butina’s right to defend
herself, her reputation, and to correct the false public record sowed by the government not only
disingenuous but unconstitutional.
If you don't want a case to be about sex, maybe you shouldn't use phrases like "sex-up" in a general context.

Are many legal motions like this? I'm beginning to regret my career decisions.

Return to “General Politics”