Sustainable Development Goals - SDGs - the future we MUST make

Foggy

Sustainable Development Goals - SDGs - the future we MUST make

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am

There are 17 SDGs. This chart is from the UN Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform.

I learned about this from a book I just finished, Building the New American Economy, by Jeffrey Sachs.

This is the way forward, peeps. This is what we do after we get rid of the Orange Menace. This is how we save the world.

What can we do? Learn. Teach. Spread the word. Save the planet.

Screenshot_20180702-075758-644x804.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Addie

Re: Sustainable Development Goals - SDGs - the future we MUST make

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:56 am

Yay :thumbs:
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 am

When I say I'm a "progressive Democrat" this is what I mean.

Seventeen is too many. I understand that. I can't remember all of them ... yet. It's too much to put on a bumper sticker. It's too much to put on a handheld sign and carry it on a march or protest. It's going to be difficult to market this package of ideas.

But this is the way toward a brighter future for the planet and for America. If we can get people to work on them ... if we can get our government to adopt them as policy ... we'll create a better world for our children and grandchildren. And a lot of work has been done already.

We gotta find a way to pick up this ball and carry it forward.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:59 am

trumpmow-1505502580.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:22 am

Thanks for starting this, Foggy. It may be the successor to the UN's Millennium Development Goals, an effort begun in 2000. Its 7th goal involved sustainable development. That was probably the least successful. The reduction in extreme poverty (less than $1.25 a day) was a great success. The world is better off than ever before, although poverty is still found everywhere.

http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:04 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am
There are 17 SDGs. This chart is from the UN Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform.

I learned about this from a book I just finished, Building the New American Economy, by Jeffrey Sachs.

This is the way forward, peeps. This is what we do after we get rid of the Orange Menace. This is how we save the world.

What can we do? Learn. Teach. Spread the word. Save the planet.

Screenshot_20180702-075758-644x804.jpg
All noble and notable-- not yet a blueprint .
It's more of a conversation starter, so may I?
While these goals, listed in no discernable order are ones to be cognizant of, there have been conversations here at TFB about critical changes coming to oue global economy which is moving from Fossil Fuels to renewables, and eventually almost free energy. Also (too)? one where automation and robotics have removed much of the costs for labor.
Marxism emphasized that "the only true value is labor," but with automation and limitless energy that priority is moot.
Allocated Living Allowances have been experimented with, and while we are NOT close to that now, making changes with that eventuality in mind would ease the transition.

I suppose the next stage would be to put all the pieces on the table and create a
Gantt Chart
  • With depencies of what task must be done before a different task may begin
  • Time needed for each task
  • Resources needed labor, people, materials, mechanical, legislation, etc
  • Priorities
  • Links between tasks and resources
    gantt-chart-complex.jpg.cf.gif
    Then bring in teams for feedback who are experts in relevant areas, and legal and social engineers.
    Politicians to help sell and enact the gritty necessities kind of come at the end of that mess, but would give insight into what repercussions and resistance should be expected.
    Big humongous project. I'm interested.
    Are you hiring?
The Mercury Project

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Are you hiring?
Sure, we will need a chef to cook great food for the rich people to eat while they're discussing good ways to provide potatoes and milk for the masses.* :mrgreen:

Yeah, in Building the New American Economy, Mr. Sachs suggests enlisting great minds from America's universities, the economic power of big industry, and hundreds of thousands of people who would work on the many aspects of reaching the SDGs, He compares it to the Moon shot in the '60s, except this is a much bigger effort.

Americans always do the right thing after wasting time and effort on every wrong alternative first. Right now Trump is leading this great nation into the ditch. But when we finally wake up and realize that we have to find a new path, this is the path.

But you're right, it isn't even a blueprint yet, it's a description of what should be included in the blueprint. And it will require a massive, massive amount of time, money, brains, and effort. On the bright side, if we organize human society around the SDGs, it will be well worth it

* :whisper: a human can survive with all necessary nutrients on a diet of nothing but milk and potatoes

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:42 pm

"Sustainable development" is a political concept, not a scientific concept. Although we can remedy many harms and wastes, we will never know that we have attained sustainability. We will have to keep working.

One of the reasons for that is that nobody knows everything that we must sustain. What must we sustain for future generations? What will they regret our exploiting?

Although Darwin was interested in the sexual differentiation of the common primrose, it was decades until we discovered that a product of the flower could smite some leukemias. William the Conqueror's accounting of the resources of England omittted coal, a resource that enabled Britain's industrial revolution.

What will we need from the Earth in the future? I guess that petroleum will be one of the things that we will need but have risked destroying. We will not need to burn it. We will need its complex molecules

The concept can easily be made into a political weapon. I saw that happen in a 1980s Tokyo conference.

That said, indeed we must do these things. It is sad that Trump is incapable of knowing that.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Danraft

Post by Danraft » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Foggy wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:55 pm
Are you hiring?
Sure, we will need a chef to cook great food for the rich people to eat while they're discussing good ways to provide potatoes and milk for the masses.* :mrgreen:

Yeah, in Building the New American Economy, Mr. Sachs suggests enlisting great minds from America's universities, the economic power of big industry, and hundreds of thousands of people who would work on the many aspects of reaching the SDGs, He compares it to the Moon shot in the '60s, except this is a much bigger effort.

Americans always do the right thing after wasting time and effort on every wrong alternative first. Right now Trump is leading this great nation into the ditch. But when we finally wake up and realize that we have to find a new path, this is the path.

But you're right, it isn't even a blueprint yet, it's a description of what should be included in the blueprint. And it will require a massive, massive amount of time, money, brains, and effort. On the bright side, if we organize human society around the SDGs, it will be well worth it

* :whisper: a human can survive with all necessary nutrients on a diet of nothing but milk and potatoes
Once a chef always a chef, but it was a career ago. Turned out that chefs were in high demand since the successful ones understood everything from customer needs and loyalty building to production and labor and creating a culture of excellence.
I would suggest that the "great minds of America" would be unnecessarily limiting. Sustainable or low load communities have been implemented in Asia and societal models are progressing in other geographical areas. These experts with others and some incredible supercomputing abilities (and perhaps AI) will have an easier task of model creation than overcoming resistance to change.

I've pondered the post-labor economy till blood came out my ears to no avail. The most dangerous obstacle is people and social mores(morays---lol). The needs and mechanisms change so fast tho. As an avid science abstract reader I note that our depth and breadth of human knowledge is just reaching a point where feasibility is in range. Food Production in this this last week reported a workable synthetically grown human milk, and we already have CNS-Free Meat (Central Nervous System Free- meat grown as muscle tissue without animal) available in retail sales.
Some sci-fi has touched on societal models with the "Red Mars" trilogy, about terraforming Mars and its resulting societal structure being a read as entertaining as thought provoking.
It sounds hokey, but it'll be flexible minded people who have envisioned hundreds of different societies and can parse the working model into reality.
Good to know there's other wrinkled gray blobs having mini electrical storms over these future issues.
The Mercury Project

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Mother Jones: Seattle Just Became the First Major American City to Ban Plastic Straws And Utensils

It marks a major milestone in the movement against disposable plastics.
Independent: Society will collapse by 2040 due to catastrophic food shortages, says study

'The results show that based on plausible climate trends and a total failure to change course, the global food supply system would face catastrophic losses, and an unprecedented epidemic of food riots'
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:29 pm

The study reported in The Independent makes one crucial point: the world is getting wealthier, and people want to eat higher up the food chain. We have almost eliminated extreme poverty, and we are on our way to conquering hunger. Good but there is price. We do need to change our ways.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:12 am

Happy Earth Day, peeps. I was 17 and a junior in high school on the first Earth Day.

Return to “General Politics”