Political Depression - How to Handle

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Re: Political Depression - How to

Post by fierceredpanda »

TollandRCR wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 pm
I find that Trump's cruel mocking of Prof. Ford has deeply depressed me. Not because I had never thought Trump would do such a thing but because his audience liked it. That says a lot about those Americans. I do not think it is just Mississippi Republicans.
:yeah:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Foggy

Re: Political Depression - How to Handle

Post by Foggy »

So during the NC State Fair over the past 10 days, I talked to a number of people who were suffering from political depression, and who didn't have much hope for the future, even after the midterms.

Here's what I told them --

"I'm 65 years old. The world I lived in when I was 15, fifty years ago, was such a different world. Since then, civil rights - minority rights - have improved tremendously. Women's rights, too. LGBTQ rights. This is SUCH A BETTER WORLD than it was fifty years ago. Back then the era we lived in was called the Cold War. Today we live in the Information Age."

At this point in my speech, the people my age are nodding their heads.

"And history only moves in one direction. Yes, it's true, in 2016 we took three steps back. But it won't be long until history starts moving forward again, and then we'll get back on the right road."

"I recommend two books for you: The Optimistic Leftist and Factfulness. Read those and you'll feel better."
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm going to jump in here and say: If you're feeling poorly, don't assume it's just depression and it will pass. Take care of yourself.

I've also been especially depressed since the Kavanaugh debacle and when I lost my appetite a few weeks ago, I blamed depression. I blew it off until I was hit with a high fever and shaking chills. Turns out it was a gastroenteritis and by ignoring those symptoms, I allowed it to progress further than I normally would.

So, even if you think it's nothing, if something's not right, get to a doctor. Assuming trump hasn't yet taken that option from you.
ImageImageImage x4

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

From the depressing but wonderful novel "Ohio" by Stephen Markley p.207:

"Even after all this, there was always a reason to stand again. To summon the courage to live and to be alive. To rage against the faceless entropy, the savage logic of accumulation that would return them all to exile, that aimed to strip them bare of everything, every place, and every person they had ever loved. To find hope in defiance, in the subterranean fire, and to always and forever endure the Truth and struggle to extinction."

To find hope in defiance. That is it.

MRich

Post by MRich »

I saw this posted on Facebook today. The original poster said it was from Michael Moore, but when I checked that's not verified. Anyway, doesn't matter; also it doesn't matter that this is from Feb 2017. It was just what I needed today:
"This morning I have been pondering a nearly forgotten lesson I learned in high school music. Sometimes in band or choir, music requires players or singers to hold a note longer than they actually can hold a note. In those cases, we were taught to mindfully stagger when we took a breath so the sound appeared uninterrupted. Everyone got to breathe, and the music stayed strong and vibrant. Yesterday, I read an article that suggested the administration's litany of bad executive orders (more expected on LGBTQ next week) is a way of giving us "protest fatigue" - we will literally lose our will to continue the fight in the face of the onslaught of negative action. Let's remember MUSIC. Take a breath. The rest of the chorus will sing. The rest of the band will play. Rejoin so others can breathe. Together, we can sustain a very long, beautiful song for a very, very long time. You don’t have to do it all, but you must add your voice to the song. With special love to all the musicians and music teachers in my life."

Lani

Post by Lani »

You’ve probably seen the post-election post about pacing the conversation for the long haul. Sometimes it’s attributed to Michael Moore, or Madonna, or others. But it was actually written by Aimee van Ausdall, a mother, feminist, and most recently, activist who says, “I realized that we could all drag each other down, or lift each other up, and that I wanted to be lifted and to help with the heavy lifting.”
https://barbtaub.com/2017/06/09/keep-th ... llor-rbrt/
Image.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I needed this, MRich. Thanks!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Reviving this thread, because yesterday's SCOTUS oral arguments have me really down. It's just so blindingly obvious to me that a bare majority of the Court have taken it upon themselves to be Team Republican, and to hell with everything else. The same five justices who say Chevron deference shouldn't be a thing and the Voting Rights Act is obsolete suddenly think Chevron deference to executive agencies is super important and the Voting Rights Act is critically important, but only so long as it allows their side to rig the census. Even common-sense legal principles like "don't lie to inferior courts" and "evidence matters" must be sacrificed to the Greater Good.

I hope people who stayed home or voted for Jill Stein in 2016 are happy, because I'm not.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

About six weeks ago, it got to be too much for me. I never followed trump on twitter but I finally blocked him. I get the gist of his tantrums from other posts. I also mostly avoid his tweet thread here, and when I do read it, I quickly surf past his tweets to read the comments. It's helped. Also, medical MJ.

Seriously, without the MJ I don't know how I'd be doing. I've suffered from insomnia my entire life and, starting in late 2016, it became so bad I was turning into a zombie. I never used MJ recreationally when I was young because it put me to sleep. Now, that's just what the doctor ordered...literally.
ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:26 am
About six weeks ago, it got to be too much for me. I never followed trump on twitter but I finally blocked him. I get the gist of his tantrums from other posts. I also mostly avoid his tweet thread here, and when I do read it, I quickly surf past his tweets to read the comments. It's helped. Also, medical MJ.

Seriously, without the MJ I don't know how I'd be doing. I've suffered from insomnia my entire life and, starting in late 2016, it became so bad I was turning into a zombie. I never used MJ recreationally when I was young because it put me to sleep. Now, that's just what the doctor ordered...literally.
I avoid his tweets also and the thread here. I advised my clients who were abused to get the abuser out of their heads. One thing I recommended was to imagine the abuser as the TV obsessed kid in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Roald Dahl. They were to imagine him fitting into a TV with his voice high pitched. They could turn the volume down or turn the TV off whenever they chose. That is what you are doing to Trump.

Insomnia is an awful condition! I am so happy to hear MJ helps you! :bighug:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:23 am

I avoid his tweets also and the thread here. I advised my clients who were abused to get the abuser out of their heads. One thing I recommended was to imagine the abuser as the TV obsessed kid in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Roald Dahl. They were to imagine him fitting into a TV with his voice high pitched. They could turn the volume down or turn the TV off whenever they chose. That is what you are doing to Trump.

Insomnia is an awful condition! I am so happy to hear MJ helps you! :bighug:
Great advice. Another thing that has helped me is to stop listening to news in the car. Now I only listen to the comedy channels. I just recently got a free trial of satellite radio and I think I'm going to keep it
ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

With the recent court decisions and Pelosi eating trump's lunch, I'd been feeling pretty good this week, until reading that trump has given Barr the ability to cherry pick and release material related to the Russia investigation. At first I thought Barr surely wouldn't send innocent people to jail to appease trump, then reality set in. I fear Page and Strzok will be sacrificed at the piecemeal altar of MAGA. Even with my evening dose of medical MJ, I couldn't sleep. Just like old times.

:brokenheart:

(I used the brokenheart emoji because that's where it hurts the most.)
ImageImageImage x4

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

I've been terribly anxious lately, to the point that my doctor ordered me to stop watching the news. But I can't quit cold turkey. Yesterday, the only news I read was about the airstrike on the Iraq airport, and that was before we read trump was behind it. Then, last night I had the worst panic attack I'd ever had. My heart was pounding so hard I could feel it as I lay in bed. Plus I was dizzy and light-headed. And it wouldn't stop. Imaging the feeling you get when somebody pranks you by jumping out of a closet and scares the bejesus out of you. Now imagine that sensation lasting for three hours.

I kept telling myself it was anxiety but finally broke down and went to the ER after talking to the nursing student next door. I've been in ERs when hubs was having his (too many to count) heart attacks so I know how an ER responds to such a situation and I was immensely relieved when my EKG/vitals didn't initiate such a reaction, which, in itself, helped with my anxiety. Also too, I'd apparently allowed myself to become severely dehydrated (not sure how that happened, I'm usually good about fluids) and that's a bad combination.

Anyhoo, five hours later, I'm back home and feeling much better, but still have a tightness in my chest. Then I read the story about trump ordering the airstrike...

(Not exactly advice on how to treat political depression, but let me say, be sure to drink plenty of water, no matter what.)
ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer

There have been several articles lately about anxiety. It ain't no fun and panic attacks are awful. One of my coworkers actually curled up in a fetal position at work. My then therapist recommended telling her, "No one dies of an anxiety attack, you just feel like you will."

Hubby avoided the news during December. He played Xmas music or watched music videos instead. He feels MUCH better!

Take care, Slim! :bighug:

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Slim, as much as I would hate to lose you even briefly, if'n you need a break, take a break. Just make sure you take good care of yourself and come back to us ASAP.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

I had a near-panic attack late last night also, same source. Woke up W2 and he joined in. We shared some Xanax and scrambled eggs, and I shopped for home decor. Staying away from Twitter and Facebook for a while, at least late at night.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Thanks all. I'm feeling much better now after a good afternoon nap. I think staying away from news in the evening will also help me so I plan to implement that immediately. No politics or world news from dinner till breakfast.

Thanks for the advice, Foggy. I may back off for a while, or at least avoid the most stressful threads. I'm already avoiding trump's twitter, trump's judicial disasters and the shooting threads for that very reason. But I've been using Fogbow as a trump filter for a couple of years now. When I find myself jonesing for a quick fix, I'll peak in. I find filtering my trump news here easier because the clever posts help blunt the initial shock of whatever BS the OSG just pulled.

I should clarify that trump probably doesn't share all the blame for my attack last night. Mom's been on hospice for several weeks now and it's a roller coaster. However, when I spoke to her last night, she sounded better than she has in I don't know how long so it's confusing.

Anyhoo, again let me say, if you're prone to similar attacks, drink water. The dehydration apparently worsened the heart palpitations so I won't make that mistake again. And many thanks to everyone.
ImageImageImage x4

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 »

I'm glad your vitals checked out. Unfortunately, women who are having heart attacks are more likely than men to be misdiagnosed as merely having "panic attacks":

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... s-in-women

Addie

Post by Addie »

I'm not sure if I am depressed, but I definitely am goofy. I feel like I've been bouncing off the walls all day.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Jcolvin2 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 pm
I'm glad your vitals checked out. Unfortunately, women who are having heart attacks are more likely than men to be misdiagnosed as merely having "panic attacks":

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsuppo ... s-in-women
Thank you for that. When I was first starting out in transcription, I worked for St Luke's Hospital in KC and they boasted of having one of the first (maybe the first) cardiac care department for women for that very reason.
ImageImageImage x4

Tiredretiredlawyer

https://amp.mindbodygreen.com/articles/ ... th-anxiety
Here's How Therapy Can Boost Longevity In People With Anxiety
Researchers selected 46 participants who had been diagnosed with a social anxiety disorder to undergo nine weeks of CBT treatment. Participants were instructed to refrain from taking any psychotropic medications, while maintaining their typical levels of exercise throughout the nine weeks to keep from altering the results. Blood samples were taken from each participant at the start of the study prior to the treatment, and then once again after the nine weeks when treatment was finished.

As predicted, the results showed that anxiety levels were reduced, but researchers also discovered increased telomerase activity in the blood samples.

Telomeres are a distinct structure in our DNA that are inherently related to aging, as they become slightly shorter every time our cells divide and as we age. Telomerase, however, is an enzyme that slows this process, effectively promoting longevity.

The time span was too short to see changes in telomere length, but the activity of telomerase indicates a push toward increasing longevity by slowing the shortening of telomeres as time goes on.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

since 2016 I have had terrible anxiety. I started Lexapro Jan 2017 and I think it helps. I couldn't imagine what I would be feeling now had I not started the anti-anxiety meds.

was in the hospital 2018 and they called my scrip my trump pill

Maybe when things are normal again I can stop taking it...

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

:bighug:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

sad-cafe wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm
since 2016 I have had terrible anxiety. I started Lexapro Jan 2017 and I think it helps. I couldn't imagine what I would be feeling now had I not started the anti-anxiety meds.

I've been admitted to ERs before, and used to type ER reports for a living. One question they always ask, along with your name and birth date, is "who's the president?" When I was admitted for my severely inflamed gallbladder two years back, I told them it was "that son of a bitch." (they accepted it and didn't press for anything more specific) I had planned a similar response when they asked me during my recent visit for my panic attack, although I hadn't yet decided between orange shit gibbon and the already used, somewhat less offensive son of a bitch.

They never asked. I wonder if they're getting away from that specific question for testing cognition.

I've talked to my doctor before about my anxiety over the current political situation. That's when she advised me to stop watching the news. She added it's advice she's giving a lot these days.
ImageImageImage x4

qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:17 am
sad-cafe wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm

I've been admitted to ERs before, and used to type ER reports for a living. One question they always ask, along with your name and birth date, is "who's the president?" When I was admitted for my severely inflamed gallbladder two years back, I told them it was "that son of a bitch." (they accepted it and didn't press for anything more specific) I had planned a similar response when they asked me during my recent visit for my panic attack, although I hadn't yet decided between orange shit gibbon and the already used, somewhat less offensive son of a bitch.

They never asked. I wonder if they're getting away from that specific question for testing cognition.

I've talked to my doctor before about my anxiety over the current political situation. That's when she advised me to stop watching the news. She added it's advice she's giving a lot these days.
I have never heard of that practice. I've been in ERs fairly often over my 73 years and it has never happened to me or anyone I was assisting to the best of my recollection. Most of the time it was for trauma, but also for cardiac events. Is there some criteria that triggers the question such as level of consciousness or such. Not that I doubt your obviously more complete and nuanced experience, just wondering why I wasn't queried.

Return to “General Politics”