Political Depression - How to Handle

voxpopuluxe

Re: Political Depression - How to Handle

Post by voxpopuluxe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:03 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:02 pm
We do ourselves no good by hating those who voted for Trump.
Col. Andy Tanner: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.

Robert: It keeps me warm.
Red Dawn (1984)

How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 pm

One of the ways I have been trying to stay "up" is by watching YouTube videos of Sovcits getting slapped down by cops and by judges.

I highly recommend watching Judge Hurley handle David Hall, a sovcit. It will leave you in tears (happy tears):

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:53 pm

I was happily distracted yesterday with my piano. I did not listen to the news and did not think about what has been happening since the 2016 election. But when I woke up this morning I found myself in a full-on panic attack.

I need happy distractions but I am paralyzed. WTF and OMG.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm

woodworker wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 pm
One of the ways I have been trying to stay "up" is by watching YouTube videos of Sovcits getting slapped down by cops and by judges.

I highly recommend watching Judge Hurley handle David Hall, a sovcit. It will leave you in tears (happy tears):

This has been one of my favorites for a very long time. Hurley has a lot of experience with SovCits. I loved the part where he tells David Hall that he can tell the person David Hall that he's not getting out either.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm

My favorite part is when he asks David Hall who is speaking and for whom.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:28 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:56 am
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:42 pm
Understand, too, what you're up against: A huge number of ordinary people.

And they're not all ignorant, uneducated, "deplorables."

Realize there are many millions of people who are grateful SCOTUS is going to be restored to a more constitutionally fundamentalist entity.

Elitism has proved to be a failed strategy.
Bullshit. That is all.
:yeah:

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Reality Check wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:28 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:56 am
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:42 pm
Understand, too, what you're up against: A huge number of ordinary people.

And they're not all ignorant, uneducated, "deplorables."

Realize there are many millions of people who are grateful SCOTUS is going to be restored to a more constitutionally fundamentalist entity.

Elitism has proved to be a failed strategy.
Bullshit. That is all.
There are four points posited there; I would simply ask you to itemize which do you consider bullshit, and why - particularly in light of why you would be depressed that so many others don't share their views?

“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:44 pm
There are four points posited there; I would simply ask you to itemize which do you consider bullshit, and why - particularly in light of why you would be depressed that so many others don't share their views?
Excrement.

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:19 am

I’ll bet there are even more millions who think that the Constitution is a living document that breathes the same air we do, now, in this time, a fundamentally different time than 1776.

There are more deplorables in your hypothetical group than informed, educated people, at this point. It wasn’t always so.

Elitism? What’s that?

We are also a huge number of ordinary people. Or do you see us as elite? :think:

Merde.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Most of the people cheering for a "more constitutionally fundamentalist entity" don't know what that means, they're just sure that Jesus has chosen the God Emperor to lead us and he's putting in people they think will end abortion, kick out the damn foreigners and keep the coloreds in line and kicked off welfare in a way that lets the good white folk keep getting it.

Trying to explain constructionalism to them is like trying to explain molecular physics to a dachshund. They think freedom of religion means their religion should be getting protection from the government and all those other heathen beliefs should be illegal. Freedom of the Press means they should shut down any outlet that criticizes them. They pretty much think the whole "original intent" idea boils down to their right to keep and bear mobile anti-aircraft missile systems and the tenth amendment says the Feds only have jurisdiction inside The District of Columbia (unless they got Mexican's down the block, then its time to call ICE and kick them out).

The Mob is being empowered and the mob is reckless, mean spirited and ignorant.

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

dcsalmon

Post by dcsalmon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:55 pm
Most of the people cheering for a "more constitutionally fundamentalist entity" don't know what that means, they're just sure that Jesus has chosen the God Emperor to lead us and he's putting in people they think will end abortion, kick out the damn foreigners and keep the coloreds in line and kicked off welfare in a way that lets the good white folk keep getting it.

Trying to explain constructionalism to them is like trying to explain molecular physics to a dachshund. They think freedom of religion means their religion should be getting protection from the government and all those other heathen beliefs should be illegal. Freedom of the Press means they should shut down any outlet that criticizes them. They pretty much think the whole "original intent" idea boils down to their right to keep and bear mobile anti-aircraft missile systems and the tenth amendment says the Feds only have jurisdiction inside The District of Columbia (unless they got Mexican's down the block, then its time to call ICE and kick them out).

The Mob is being empowered and the mob is reckless, mean spirited and ignorant.

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Two other points:

First, this bullshit about original intent is a somewhat recent philosophy, say the last 30-40 years -- what does that correspond with, the rise of the right wing fundamentalist nutjobs.

Second, there has not been one single judge or justice who has consistently applied their "original intent" philosophy when the rubber hit the road, not Thomas, certainly not Scalia, not Alito, and certainly not Roberts, Rehnquist, Kennedy and no fucking way Gorsuch. Roberts, et al, had no problem in the ACA decision coming up with a whole brand new theory of con-law, that of equal sovereignty among the states. And our founding fathers and mothers certainly had no problems with gun restrictions, not to mention Ronnie Raygun when he was governor of California. First Amendment re: religion for over two hundred years was essentially you can do what you what (unless it is peyote than you Scalia IIRC) but you can't impose on others and government stayed the hell out of it. Now, all of a sudden, all of the founders were hell-bent fundamentalists, which would definitely be a surprise to just about all of them. And IIRC from my US history classes, the founders were always afraid of the US becoming a monarchy and certainly would not give the President the powers, and immunity, that Gorsuch all of a sudden finds necessary.

FDR managed to handle WWII without the powers and immunity that Gorsuch seems to feel Trump needs because of Syria, et al. Yet Gorsuch there seems to find that we need to treat the Constitution as if it is a living breathing document, which I happen to agree with. But I believe that applies to everything, not just when it is convenient for the right wing assholes.

I admit that this is a particular subject that gets me quickly fired up. To those who say we should look strictly at original intent and the language and we should not consider how society has changed, I say then that they must agree that the 2nd Amendment says "bear arms" and that meant, at the time, you could personally carry. If the founders had intended that you could use a horse and a cart they would have said so. And as they didn't mention automobiles, they clearly foreclosed the use of all future technology re: "carry." Of course that is an asinine argument, but it just goes to show the stupidity and the hypocrisy of the "original intenters." Gorsuch and his right to privacy is based on ownership and not a reasonable expectation of privacy. Strange -- I never saw that in the Constitution and the founders were readily familiar with mail. Does Gorsuch's theory mean that once you gave a letter to the postman you no longer had a property interest in it? After all, you no longer had any control over it, so does the government, who has control over, have the right to search letters once mailed? What a load of horseshit.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:33 am

Ah! here you are.
Politico Mag: Inside the Mind of Donald Trump

He’s grandiose, deceitful and paranoid—but don’t let him drive you crazy.
CBC News: In a divided U.S., therapists treating anxiety are hearing the same name over and over: Donald Trump

'Trump Anxiety Disorder' may not be an official diagnosis, but therapists know the symptoms

¡Sterngard! come home.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:11 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:33 am
Ah! here you are.
Politico Mag: Inside the Mind of Donald Trump

He’s grandiose, deceitful and paranoid—but don’t let him drive you crazy.
CBC News: In a divided U.S., therapists treating anxiety are hearing the same name over and over: Donald Trump

'Trump Anxiety Disorder' may not be an official diagnosis, but therapists know the symptoms
From Inside the Mind of Donald Trump:
So how can we hold onto our own mental health in the face of the danger Trump poses? First, don’t use logic or rationality to try to understand or counter Trump’s statements and behaviors. He is driven not by reason but by negative emotions that are infectious. Trump thrives on creating fear and sowing confusion. He lies without guilt. Don’t match his emotion with your own.

Second, be clearer than ever about your core values, beliefs and principles, and rely on them for guidance and comfort, especially when you are feeling most triggered and fearful. Challenge every day the natural inclination to feel overwhelmed, fatigued or numb in the face of Trump’s behavior. This is what people with his psychological inclinations count on. Trump is aware that whatever he says repeatedly—no matter how outrageous—many people are more likely to believe, or at least to stop resisting.

Lastly, recognize that fear is your enemy. Holding onto the opposites of realism and optimism is the best antidote. James Stockdale, a Navy vice admiral, was imprisoned for eight years in North Vietnam and tortured repeatedly. What he said afterward about how he survived is relevant for anyone dealing with feelings of helplessness and hopelessness: “You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:03 pm

I find that it helps a lot to be part of a tireless, committed band of activists. OH Indivisible 12 and the August 7 special election has been fantastic for my mental health. And the physical exercise of walking miles and miles canvassing and marching in parades helps too.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:12 pm

SuzieC wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:03 pm
I find that it helps a lot to be part of a tireless, committed band of activists. OH Indivisible 12 and the August 7 special election has been fantastic for my mental health. And the physical exercise of walking miles and miles canvassing and marching in parades helps too.
Good for you!!! I work with a PAC trying to get progressive women elected to local office - @ardameocrats.org. It helps a lot. I go to a personal trainer to get my body back in shape from not being as active due to fibromyalgia. I also walk once a week with a friend and see my horse at least every two weeks. Gotta get away from social media too.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:23 pm

YES!! I practice yoga too. Yogis tend to be liberal and progressive. Also chanting in Sanskrit has a resonating effect.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:25 pm

SuzieC wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:23 pm
YES!! I practice yoga too. Yogis tend to be liberal and progressive. Also chanting in Sanskrit has a resonating effect.
:thumbs:

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:37 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:25 pm
SuzieC wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:23 pm
:thumbs:
I have a set of tapes (yes, from way back) of the Bhagavad Gita chanted. It's very soothing.

Edit:
This is the version I like the best. The "melody" is repetitive, which makes it meditative. It is sung in Sanskrit

OOPS. The youtube link doesn't start on chapter 1. Here is a place to get everything in order. It's the same person chanting, and does along with the pdf transliteration below. So I'm removing the YouTube version.

http://www.gita-society.com/gitaaudio20 ... tgita.html

You can download a free pdf that contains the sanskrit writing with an English transliteration below each verse. So, you can learn to chant the Gita in Sansrit. Pretty cool. Just be aware if you are listening to the chanting and reading the pdf, there is one "introductory" line that is chanted that is not in the pdf. But after that one line is chanted, everything else matches with the chanting.

https://archive.org/stream/TheBhagavadG ... it#page/n3

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

SuzieC

Post by SuzieC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:17 pm

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... lmYOOnnwMk

The ashtanga yoga opening and closing mantras.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 am

Almost posted this in the tv thread, but thought it would do more good here.

I came across the movie Dick from 1999 at the library and thought, why not. LOVED it. Think Watergate as a series of SNL skits. AAMAF, it has lots of SNL and Kids in the Hall alumni. Will Ferrell plays Bob Woodward.

A good laugh before bed really helps.

But what I think I liked the best was watching Nixon melt down at the end, his enemies list, blaming all his problems on the media and everyone out to get him. Reminded me of you-know-who so watching him leave in disgrace was a great pick-up.

Hope that wasn't a spoiler. It is Watergate, after all, and you already know how that ended.

ImageImageImage x4

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Reviving this thread.

You all have probably noticed that my tone today is distinctly negative. I'm having trouble dealing.

Truth doesn't matter. Facts don't matter. Substance doesn't matter. All that matters is that the reality show goes on. Every. Single. Day. And there's no looking away, because I've been too invested in politics my whole life to suddenly start not caring.

Even the "liberal" media actually has huge incentives to keep the focus on Trump and the day-to-day circus. MSNBC's ratings have never been higher. Subscriptions to the Washington Post and New York Times are defying the trend of the last decade in print media. Even Trump antagonists have every reason to want him to stick around, for the same reason people like Rush Limbaugh actually hated it when George Bush was in power. All the earning power is in the #resistance. Well, that and Fox News. But no one who matters wants anything to go back to the banal reality of politics pre-Trump. Too boring. No ratings. The fact that American politics has turned into a global embarrassment doesn't matter, because the show must fucking go on.

I want to stop paying attention, but I can't. I want to move to a deserted island with my wife and our cats, but I can't. I look into the future, and I see only Trump and clones of Trump as far as the eye can see. Our political-media complex has gotten addicted to the drug of never having a slow news day ever again, and the electorate is too bitterly divided to agree on anything. Even children in motherfucking cages is a subject of genuine discussion, rather than an abominable idea that should be dismissed out of hand.

Stop the damn ride, I want to get off. :crying:

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:14 pm

I can't argue with any of that. I have heard/read somewhere that it helps to not start your day first thing with the news. In a way, I can understand that. Since twitler has been in office, I have tended to go online or MSNBC each morning to see what the idiot did overnight. I have been trying not to do that, but I really can't say if it's helped much. Mostly, I just think it can't hurt.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Yeah, I’ve actually been in that spot for more than a year. It hurts, it’s sobering, it sucks.

So, I lie down, let it* wash over me for a bit, then get up and wash it off, try again. My husband didn’t read or watch the news for years, because he runs a stressful business and didn’t want more stress in his life. Since Trump, he cant stop reading, watching, and I’m the one who has to lie down periodically and let it scrub me clean.

* depression, rage, feelings of absolutely hopeless helplessness, etc

Also, too, this is my new musical accompanyment for when I need to lie down. A few repeats of this, wipe the tears and I’m good to go again. Try it, it might help.

DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TollandRCR

Re: Political Depression - How to

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 pm

I find that Trump's cruel mocking of Prof. Ford has deeply depressed me. Not because I had never thought Trump would do such a thing but because his audience liked it. That says a lot about those Americans. I do not think it is just Mississippi Republicans.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “General Politics”