The Splitting up of Families

TheNewSaint

Re: The Splitting up of Families

Post by TheNewSaint » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:45 am

The modern Sophie's Choice:
How a mother's tough choice gave her son a potential U.S. asylum advantage

[Catalina] Sales, who entered the United States illegally on May 30, made a difficult choice: She refused to sign a paper agreeing that if she were deported, her son Yaiser would accompany her back to Guatemala. She wanted to give him the chance, she said, to pursue asylum in the United States even if she is sent back.

Because of that, she and her son were separated again after just two hours together, and he was sent back [from El Paso, Texas] to the Florida children’s facility where he had previously been held.

More than 2,500 families were separated at the U.S.-Mexico border in the spring as part of a zero-tolerance policy toward illegal immigration that ended in June. By separating them from their parents, the government rendered the children “unaccompanied minors,” which conferred certain advantages on them under U.S. immigration law, including a different, more child-friendly asylum process not available to children never separated from their families.
www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigrat ... SKBN1L20ZO

This seems to be a side effect of the Trump policy to separate children from families and then call them "unaccompanied." Unaccompanied children, especially from designated Central American countries, have a better chance of earning asylum. Which forces people like Ms. Sales here to make an awful decision.

Our national monstrousness continues.
This bramble need not be traversed.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:46 am

Julia E. Ainsley

Verified account

@JuliaEAinsley
Follow Follow @JuliaEAinsley
More
Big news that might go unnoticed today. Trump admin is defying 1997 court agreement and plans to hold children in ICE detention indefinitely starting in 2 months.
:madguy:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

arock

Post by arock » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 am

Migrant Parents Separated From Their Children Will Get New Asylum Interviews

Acknowledging that the separation of migrant families along the southwest border may have compromised their right to seek asylum, the federal government has agreed to allow a second chance for up to 1,000 migrants who had been facing deportation.

In a settlement announced Thursday, lawyers for the government said that parents whose children were taken from them under the administration’s “zero-tolerance” border enforcement policy will again be able to make a case for asylum. They can also remain in the United States while their children pursue their own asylum cases.

Lawyers for immigrants challenging the thousands of family separations carried out along the border this spring had argued that losing their children had left parents too distraught to adequately make a case for asylum status. The asylum process can be grueling, often requiring lengthy interviews and documentary evidence. As a result, the lawyers said, many of the parents’ claims had been speedily denied.

“It’s an implicit recognition that they did wrong by these families in denying them meaningful access to the asylum system, and that wrong is now going to be made right,” said Simon Y. Sandoval-Moshenberg, legal director of the Immigrant Advocacy Program at the Legal Aid Justice Center, who represented the plaintiffs.
. . .
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/us/f ... ement.html

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm

How do you respond to this video?

vic

Post by vic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:57 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm
:snippity:
Just ignore it. It's not your job to police the internet.
Edit: But in keeping with the Fogbow's motto, others are capable of responding, and it is more credible for those who know how to do so, than for you to try, if you don't know the answer.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:06 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HS8P0l_KU&feature=share
Did this women try to visit a ICE center in Texas or California rather than in a state far of from the illegal imigration paths from Mexico?

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:20 am

Associated Press
Federal agency says it lost track of 1,488 migrant children

Twice in less than a year, the federal government has lost track of nearly 1,500 migrant children after placing them in the homes of sponsors across the country, federal officials have acknowledged.

The Health and Human Services Department recently told Senate staffers that case managers could not find 1,488 children after they made follow-up calls to check on their safety from April through June. That number represents about 13 percent of all unaccompanied children the administration moved out of shelters and foster homes during that time.

The agency first disclosed that it had lost track of 1,475 children late last year, as it came under fire at a Senate hearing in April. Lawmakers had asked HHS officials how they had strengthened child protection policies since it came to light that the agency previously had rolled back safeguards meant to keep Central American children from ending up in the hands of human traffickers.

“The fact that HHS, which placed these unaccompanied minors with sponsors, doesn’t know the whereabouts of nearly 1,500 of them is very troubling,” Republican Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio, the panel’s chair, said Wednesday. “Many of these kids are vulnerable to trafficking and abuse, and to not take responsibility for their safety is unacceptable.”

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 am

The New York Times

Verified account

@nytimes
Following Following @nytimes
More
Hundreds of migrant children are being woken in the middle of the night and taken to unregulated tent camps where there is no schooling and only limited access to legal aid.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Seems that Trump's DHS is not up to the task of dealing with asylum seekers. :madguy:

Abrupt release of hundreds of migrants in Phoenix is 'start of dam breaking'
"You'll start to see this all across the southern border soon," a senior DHS official told NBC News.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... d_nn_tw_ma
Hundreds of migrant families seeking asylum in the U.S. were released from detention in Arizona this week without warning and without instructions on where to go, how to find relatives or travel to their court hearings.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers are releasing the families from detention en masse without following their usual protocol that ensures immigrants have a means to travel to their court hearing and reunite with potential relatives in the U.S.

The reason, the official said, is the growing number of immigrant families coming to the U.S. seeking asylum. In August, the latest month for which data is available, more than 12,700 parents and children traveling together were apprehended crossing the U.S.-Mexico border, up from 4,193 in August 2017.

ICE spokeswoman Yasmeen O'Keefe said because of the volume of families presenting themselves along the Arizona border, ICE can no longer review each immigrant's travel plans prior to release without violating a federal court agreement, known as the Flores settlement, that limits the amount of time children can be detained to 20 days.

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 pm
Seems that Trump's DHS is not up to the task of dealing with asylum seekers. :madguy:

Abrupt release of hundreds of migrants in Phoenix is 'start of dam breaking'
"You'll start to see this all across the southern border soon," a senior DHS official told NBC News.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... d_nn_tw_ma

ICE spokeswoman Yasmeen O'Keefe said because of the volume of families presenting themselves along the Arizona border, ICE can no longer review each immigrant's travel plans prior to release without violating a federal court agreement, known as the Flores settlement, that limits the amount of time children can be detained to 20 days.
Does this seem like a passive/aggressive response from ICE? Let's see if we can make asylum seekers a real problem...

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 pm

It is hard for me to see the taking of asylum-seekers' children as anything other than a form of punishment intended to frighten future asylum-seekers. I detest Stephen Miller so thoroughly that I would be happy to attribute this policy solely to him. That may be correct, akthogh I do not understand how he ended up here. However, I think ICE has been distorted over the years into an often-brutal agency as well as a huge agency, and this affected both recruitment and training. Brutes working with brutes in the White House.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:32 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 pm
It is hard for me to see the taking of asylum-seekers' children as anything other than a form of punishment intended to frighten future asylum-seekers. I detest Stephen Miller so thoroughly that I would be happy to attribute this policy solely to him. That may be correct, akthogh I do not understand how he ended up here. However, I think ICE has been distorted over the years into an often-brutal agency as well as a huge agency, and this affected both recruitment and training. Brutes working with brutes in the White House.
I think if you go back to the root cause, it is the whole Department of Homeland Security thing. You take a bunch of agencies with basically mundane law enforcement missions, put them all together and tell them "Only you can save the Homeland" and you get a bunch of inadequately supervised over eager asshole cops doing inadequately supervised over eager asshole cop things.

A good start would be breaking up the Department of Homeland Security and sending these agencies back to where they came from or even better, sending every agency that carrying a gun and making arrests is a primary function to the Justice Department to be run by lawyers like law enforcement agencies are supposed to be run.

(A different issue, but while they are at it, make FEMA a stand alone cabinet level agency.)
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 pm

The "Department of Homeland Security" was embedded in legislation that threatens American rights. It always struck me as semi-Fascist. I agree those agencies ought to go back where they originated -- abd probably be reduced in size. Some do belong in DoJ, others maybe in Commerce. FEMA might do perfectly well as an independent, non-Cabinet agency. I think the Cabinet is now swollen.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:46 pm

I can still remember back in 2011 or 2012 when I first heard the term "homeland security." I was shocked, thought instantly of Nazi Germany, and knew something had changed for the worse in this country. I don't think I was alone.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:09 pm

As I recall, there was bipartisan controversy from the start about the establishment of what is now the third-'largest Cabinet department. ICE is the largest law-enforcement agency in all government. I view DHS and the PATRIOT act as panicked responses to a situation that was unparalleled in American history. I do not saddle GWB with all the blame; few politicians acted sensibly in that period.

I so wish that our response to 9/11 had been a police response.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Stephen Miller is trying to reinstate the separation of children from their families on the grounds that the first cycle was a deterrent to illegal immigration.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:22 pm

a few days pre-election

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:04 pm

A Guatemalan Mother Could Lose Her Daughter, Because She’s an American
By Miriam Jordan
Nov. 23, 2018

Yeisvi Carrillo, seen in a family photo, is an American citizen who remains in foster care while her mother, Vilma Carrillo, appeals a deportation order.

Vilma Carrillo was one of a group of migrant women flown to Texas in July from a detention center in Georgia to be reunited with their children, who had been separated from them as part of the Trump administration’s clampdown at the border.

Over the next several days, she watched as immigration officials paged one mother after another and took them to meet their children.

“I was never called,” Ms. Carrillo said.

Her heart in tatters, the 38-year-old Guatemalan woman was sent back to the Georgia detention center without her daughter, Yeisvi, 11. “The others got their children back,” she said, “I was left with my despair.” She hasn’t seen her daughter since they were separated in May, but they talk on the phone twice a week.

Ms. Carrillo has been caught at the intersection of several Trump administration policies intended to make it harder for Central American migrants to settle in the United States. Her case is more serious than what thousands of other migrant families have faced: Because her daughter is an American citizen, Ms. Carrillo has been told that she could lose custody.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/us/m ... abuse.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
14m14 minutes ago
More
.@RepGutierrez went off on @SecNielsen today.

"It seems you agree w/Tucker Carlson, that immigrants only bring danger & dirt. But I must say, the record for lying in face of all evidence was a tweet you posted that says 'we do not have a policy of separating families, period.'"

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Aaron Rupar

Verified account

@atrupar
1m1 minute ago
More
CICILLINE to NIELSEN: "Although you claimed publicly that you didn't know anything about a family separation policy, you signed off on a memo authorizing this practice, described as '0 tolerance.'... This is disgrace that belies our values as a country."
Nielsen not having an easy time of it today.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:21 am

Over 200 Allegations of Abuse of Migrant Children; 1 Case of Homeland Security Disciplining Someone

https://www.propublica.org/article/over ... ng-someone
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:51 am

https://www.courthousenews.com/feds-tel ... hout-soap/
SAN FRANCISCO (CN) – The Trump administration argued in front of a Ninth Circuit panel Tuesday that the government is not required to give soap or toothbrushes to children apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border and can have them sleep on concrete floors in frigid, overcrowded cells, despite a settlement agreement that requires detainees be kept in “safe and sanitary” facilities.

All three judges appeared incredulous during the hearing in San Francisco, in which the Trump administration challenged previous legal findings that it is violating a landmark class action settlement by mistreating undocumented immigrant children at U.S. detention facilities.

“You’re really going to stand up and tell us that being able to sleep isn’t a question of safe and sanitary conditions?'” U.S. Circuit Judge Marsha Berzon asked the Justice Department’s Sarah Fabian Tuesday.

U.S. Circuit Judge William Fletcher also questioned the government’s interpretation of the settlement agreement.

“Are you arguing seriously that you do not read the agreement as requiring you to do anything other than what I just described: cold all night long, lights on all night long, sleeping on concrete and you’ve got an aluminum foil blanket?” Fletcher asked Fabian. “I find that inconceivable that the government would say that that is safe and sanitary.”

The settlement at issue came out of Jenny Lisette Flores v. Edwin Meese, filed in 1985 on behalf of a class of unaccompanied minors fleeing torture and abuse in Central America.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:49 pm

Lani wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:21 am
Over 200 Allegations of Abuse of Migrant Children; 1 Case of Homeland Security Disciplining Someone

https://www.propublica.org/article/over ... ng-someone

Just remember as you read the article that these people lost their damn minds over Al Franken.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:31 am

Consider that the US is currently in court arguing that it's just fine to have children sleeping on concrete and denying them toothbrushes.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Return to “General Politics”