The Splitting up of Families

DrIrvingFinegarten

Re: The Splitting up of Families

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Some wingnut group posted this video, suggesting that these kids were not being reunited with their parents, but rather put back with traffickers.

I have a feeling they're full of shit, but don't know for sure.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:42 am

This has been brought up before in various threads.
Pentagon will make room for up to 20,000 migrant children on military bases
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washin ... ary-bases/

So my question is where/how does Trump expect to get 20k children? The number at the high point was 7k. :shock:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:31 am

Oh that's easy. they will be separated from their Parents who will be deported next year, because the kids are US citizens but the Parents are not. #Winning!
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 am

Cross-posting

NBC 4
Immigrant NYC Grandparents Detained While Visiting Son-in-Law at Fort Drum, Family Says

A Mexican family from Brooklyn says they were headed upstate to Fort Drum to celebrate Independence Day with an Army sergeant family member when border patrol agents questioned their parents' New York City IDs, and then took them to a detention facility hundreds of miles away.

Eduardo Silvia tells News 4 New York that his parents Concepcion and Margarito have lived in New York for two decades. They came to the country undocumented from Mexico but in 2007 they were approved for an official Department of Labor work permit.

Eduardo said they had valid New York City IDs, which they'd used to access military bases before, but on July 4, when they came to the gates of Fort Drum, they were stopped by military police.

Perla Silva, another daughter of the detained couple, took video showing the part of Fort Drum where her parents were taken into custody. She said in a matter of minutes, Border Protection agents arrived and took her parents to the federal ICE detention center hundreds of miles away in Buffalo.

The Silvas were gathering at Fort Drum to celebrate Independence Day with their son-in-law, a sergeant in the 10th Mountain Division who has twice been deployed to Afghanistan.

"He's about to be deployed again while my sister is pregnant, and he works so hard for his country, and he loves his country so much," said Perla Silva.

Now the Silvas say the Department of Defense won't allow the Army sergeant to speak up in defense of his immigrant relatives. Most worrying is the fact that both parents have recently undergone surgery and need medication. The Silvas say they have gotten calls from their mother, who said she was denied her medication. They say they have not heard from their father.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:28 am

Addie wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 am
Cross-posting

NBC 4
Immigrant NYC Grandparents Detained While Visiting Son-in-Law at Fort Drum, Family Says

A Mexican family from Brooklyn says they were headed upstate to Fort Drum to celebrate Independence Day with an Army sergeant family member when border patrol agents questioned their parents' New York City IDs, and then took them to a detention facility hundreds of miles away.

Eduardo Silvia tells News 4 New York that his parents Concepcion and Margarito have lived in New York for two decades. They came to the country undocumented from Mexico but in 2007 they were approved for an official Department of Labor work permit.

Eduardo said they had valid New York City IDs, which they'd used to access military bases before, but on July 4, when they came to the gates of Fort Drum, they were stopped by military police.

Perla Silva, another daughter of the detained couple, took video showing the part of Fort Drum where her parents were taken into custody. She said in a matter of minutes, Border Protection agents arrived and took her parents to the federal ICE detention center hundreds of miles away in Buffalo.

The Silvas were gathering at Fort Drum to celebrate Independence Day with their son-in-law, a sergeant in the 10th Mountain Division who has twice been deployed to Afghanistan.

"He's about to be deployed again while my sister is pregnant, and he works so hard for his country, and he loves his country so much," said Perla Silva.

Now the Silvas say the Department of Defense won't allow the Army sergeant to speak up in defense of his immigrant relatives. Most worrying is the fact that both parents have recently undergone surgery and need medication. The Silvas say they have gotten calls from their mother, who said she was denied her medication. They say they have not heard from their father.
Fuck this administration with rusty barbed wire.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:41 pm

I love dogs too, but this is ridiculous

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 pm

The latest (I think) ugliness is that, after 85 days, a baby was finally returned to his mother -- in absolutely filthy condition and covered with lice.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mi ... 827cc07d3c

I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree but even I would have known enough to give him a bath - in flea shampoo or some other lice-killer - before handing him back to his mama, notwithstanding what appears to be 84 days of total neglect. At least I would have hosed the kid down before handing him back to his mother.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 pm
The latest (I think) ugliness is that, after 85 days, a baby was finally returned to his mother -- in absolutely filthy condition and covered with lice.

I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree but even I would have known enough to give him a bath - in flea shampoo or some other lice-killer - before handing him back to his mama, notwithstanding what appears to be 84 days of total neglect.

I'm sure the dog she's responsible for this weekend won't have fleas when she gives it back, anyway, so she's 1 and 1 on that. :bag:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:01 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:09 pm

I am not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree but even I would have known enough to give him a bath - in flea shampoo or some other lice-killer - before handing him back to his mama, notwithstanding what appears to be 84 days of total neglect.
Not just yer basic head lice, but apparently body lice, which is a sign the baby was held in horrible conditions. One of the precursors to typhus is the presence of body lice

mmmirele

Post by mmmirele » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:09 am

Putting some tweets up from Friday, because they indicate the situation is a complete cluster:

I asked a friend of mine who is a longtime immigration attorney what she thought of the situation and she believes some children will be adopted out rather than reunited with the parent/guardian. She wrote: "As I wrote on June 1: A few decades from now, someone will publish a memoir or autobiography beginning with the sentence "In 2018, when I was two (or 1 or 6), I was taken from my mother by the United States government."

And this is not the only crisis we're facing with children. Trump revoked temporary protected status for people from El Salvador, Honduras and Haiti. These people have American citizen children.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 am

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/immig ... d_nn_fb_ma
Foster mom on trauma of separated migrant children: 'They are coming crying, almost hysterical'

"It’s just painful to see a child this young have to go through that," said a Michigan woman who takes in children who've been separated from their families.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:22 pm

This is what you can read in France

https://www.ledauphine.com//france-mond ... rt-de-poux
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Although I haven't seen any news report of a specific case, it occurs to me that with thousands, literally, of these children being kept in kiddie concentration camps, for periods approaching 3 months, and the kids probably not having had good medical care in their hometowns nor on the road to the US border, among so many children there MUST have been, by now, medical crises that normally (normal for US middle class) would have gotten medical attention which would have included powerful medications or even surgery. Indeed, with so many kids under this circumstance, I am surprised that (or if) there had been no deaths by now.

This would, or should, create serious legal problems, especially if the medical results were not entirely good. Foreign govts, the countries of origin of these families, may get into the act about how badly their citizens were treated.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:41 pm

Fucking evil.

"Bethany Christian Services, an adoption center with financial ties to [Education Secretary] Betsy DeVos, has taken 81 immigrant children who were forcibly separated from their parents at the border. Most have had no contact with their families. They’re charging $700 per child per night. This isn’t foster care, this is state-sponsored kidnapping. "

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/06/26/ ... mome_share

I contacted Bethany. They don't do temporary fostering. Only domestic and international adoptions. But they thanked me for contacting them. I quote:

Hi (deleted)

We are excited that you chose to inquire about Bethany Christian Services! The Ohio office has domestic infant and international adoption programs. We do not offer foster or foster to adopt services. I apologize for the confusion on our website! In the Columbus area, we recommend The Bair Foundation and Caring For Kids. A complete list of Ohio agencies can be found here: http://jfs.ohio.gov/OFC/Agency-Masterlist.stm.

For more information on our local Bethany programs, please visit our website: https://www.bethany.org/columbus-oh

Blessings,
Mary Jo Caouette, MA
Intake and Outreach Coordinator
Bethany Christian Services of Ohio
665 East Dublin-Granville Road, Ste 410
Columbus, OH 43229
O – 614-448-2885
F – 614-796-2107
C – 614-787-4366

--------------------NOTICE--------------------

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this communication in error, please do not distribute it. Please notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown and delete the original message. Thank you.

Este e-mail es solamente para el uso del individuo o la entidad a la cual se dirige y puede contener informacion privilegiada, confidencial y exenta de acceso bajo la ley aplicable. Si usted ha recibido esta comunicacion por error, por favor no lo distribuya. Favor notificar al remitente del e-mail a la direccion mostrada y elimine el mensaje original. Gracias.

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:42 pm

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:48 pm
Some wingnut group posted this video, suggesting that these kids were not being reunited with their parents, but rather put back with traffickers.

I have a feeling they're full of shit, but don't know for sure.

I guess if someone tells you that the earth is flat you will say the same..
„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 pm

But you don't know for sure.

Maybe they're being set up for adoption by right wing fundi evangelicals, and fed into the coming Hitler Youth.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 pm

Maybe they're being set up for adoption by right wing fundi evangelicals, and fed into the coming Hitler Youth.
After all, weren't the Kushners interested in international adoptions s?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Patagoniagirl wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:36 pm
Gregg wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 pm

After all, weren't the Kushners interested in international adoptions s?
Only if they could monetize it.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Oh they do! The legal costs are picked up the Feds, who also pay them $700 a day I guess for care for the 24 months it takes to get them legally away from the birth parents, and then they charge the church approved adoptive parents big fees for the children. Trust me, they make bank on it, and do it inside a "charity" that pays them big salaries from tax deductible contributions and tax exempt revenues.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:24 pm

Adoption fees through BCS starts at $10,000++++++

Edit to add:. I think Stern was being facetious.

vic

Post by vic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:25 pm

This didn’t happen because of trump’s new policy, but it provides a peek into what the future may hold. And I’m too angry about it to try to find a better place to put the story.

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/immigran ... d=16803067
Immigrant Mom Loses Effort to Regain Son Given to US Parents

In a controversial case that involved the rights of illegal immigrants and their young children, a Guatemalan mother lost her effort today to get back the five-year old son who was taken away from her after her arrest on immigration charges and put up for adoption in Missouri despite her objections.

A Missouri judge ruled the boy should stay with the Missouri couple, Melinda and Seth Moser, who took him into their home five years ago while his mother was in federal custody, where she attempted in vain to oppose the adoption proceedings.
:snippity:
The child, born as Carlos but renamed Jamison by the Mosers, has been with his adoptive parents in Carthage, Missouri since the age of 11 months.

The judge said the biological mother had no rights to even see her child, according to the mother's lawyer.
The ruling today reaffirmed the original decision by another Missouri judge who terminated the parental rights of Bail Romero, stating that "illegally smuggling herself into the country is not a lifestyle that can provide any stability for the child."

The Missouri Supreme Court called the initial decision a "travesty of justice" and ordered a review of the case by a second judge.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 am

Trump's mischling program.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 am

:panic:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:39 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 67c7edd070
Asked Tuesday about his administration missing a court-imposed deadline to reunite migrant children under age 5 with their parents, President Trump said he had “a solution.”

“Tell people not to come to our country illegally,” Trump told reporters. “That’s the solution. Don’t come to our country illegally. Come like other people do. Come legally.”

Trump’s comments about fallout from his administration's “zero tolerance” policy on immigration came as he prepared to leave the White House on a week-long trip to Europe.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:44 am

Trump's EO gave him all the outs he needed to continue splitting up families. It was very carefully worded. I'm sure Stephen helped him out on that one.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “General Politics”