The Splitting up of Families

woodworker

The Splitting up of Families

Post by woodworker » Sat May 26, 2018 8:08 pm

I think most of the people on TFB know that I am Jewish. I am not a particularly observant Jew and I haven't been an active member of a temple for more years than I care to remember.

But I was raised on the belief that "Never Again." So why the fuck aren't the Jewish organizations, the major temples, Sheldon Adelson (he can fucking afford to charter a 767 to fly Guatemalan officials to Jerusalem) out there protesting the splitting up of the families at the border by the US government. Does "Never Again" only apply to Jews -- have we become that hypocritical! That content! We recently celebrated Passover, a yearly event where we get to pat ourselves on the back for not only having survived Pharoah, but for, allegedly, leading the vanguard on the establishment of human rights for all. I grieve for the passing of one of history's great religions.

As I said, I have not been active in a long time so if anyone has any referrals to Jewry that are active I would greatly appreciate it.

If anyone wants to flame me for not being sufficiently Jewish, have at it.

Howard Appel (aka Woodworker).

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Addie

Re: The Splitting up of Families

Post by Addie » Sat May 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Thank you, Woodworker, for starting this thread. :bighug:

¡Sterngard! come home.

optimusprime

Post by optimusprime » Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Our nation has a history of splitting up families. First, they called them "savages", then used the less than human characterization to split families, sell them off to other plantations or push their ding-a-lings in negro women to produce "children of the farm".

So, we do have History which, someone once said that if one does not learn from it, you are doomed to repeat it. WHALAAAA!! in 2018, here we are, and they have too many unaccounted for, and supposedly governmental sanctioned trafficking.

This, on its face, is damnable to an administration that has committed so many damnable acts that we are becoming numb to it and their bungling attempts to control the media reporting /investigations of this story.

So, just so we know: No one is going to be held accountable. No one will loose their job or forced to resign. The policy of separating families at the border will continue. Sarah Huckabee Sanders will do what she does best. The GOP will defer, deflect, duck and drag out until next weekend. Life in the new 'merica.

Have they started blaming Democrats yet?

vic

Post by vic » Sat May 26, 2018 9:41 pm

optimusprime wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm
Our nation has a history of splitting up families. First, they called them "savages", then used the less than human characterization to split families, sell them off to other plantations or push their ding-a-lings in negro women to produce "children of the farm".

So, we do have History which, someone once said that if one does not learn from it, you are doomed to repeat it. WHALAAAA!! in 2018, here we are, and they have too many unaccounted for, and supposedly governmental sanctioned trafficking.

This, on its face, is damnable to an administration that has committed so many damnable acts that we are becoming numb to it and their bungling attempts to control the media reporting /investigations of this story.

So, just so we know: No one is going to be held accountable. No one will loose their job or forced to resign. The policy of separating families at the border will continue. Sarah Huckabee Sanders will do what she does best. The GOP will defer, deflect, duck and drag out until next weekend. Life in the new 'merica.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Kendra posted this from TWITUS early this morning:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=9410&start=3325#p993097
Kendra wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 am

Put pressure on the Democrats to end the horrible law that separates children from there parents once they cross the Border into the U.S. Catch and Release, Lottery and Chain must also go with it and we MUST continue building the WALL! DEMOCRATS ARE PROTECTING MS-13 THUGS.
And of course, not only are Democrats not responsible, but there is no such law. It is a policy that has been adopted by his own administration, and even promised/threatened by AG Sessions. I believe it's been covered elsewhere on TFB, but just a refresher:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/po ... 591924002/
AG Jeff Sessions vows to separate kids from parents, prosecute all illegal border-crossers

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions promised to prosecute and separate parents who smuggle their children illegally into the United States as he revealed more details about his "zero-tolerance" approach to border enforcement.

"If you cross this border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you," he said. "It’s that simple."

Sessions made the announcement Monday during speeches in Scottsdale, before the Association of State Criminal Investigative Agencies, and in Calexico, where he toured the U.S.-Mexico border.

In Arizona, he unveiled his plan, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, to prosecute all individuals caught crossing the border illegally, saying his Department of Justice would take as many cases "as humanly possible" until they reached a 100 percent prosecution rate.

But he also confirmed long-rumored plans to go after parents who attempt to bring their children into the country illegally. Several media reports described that DHS was already separating children from their parents along some parts of the border.
:snippity:

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 pm

optimusprime wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Yes, Trump is already blaming the Democrats for the law forcing him to split up families. Just ignore AG Sessions, Rep. Steve King, DHS Secretary Nielsen (spelling), etc. It is always the Democrats and the liberals fault.

Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 am

It happened a lot in Australia and Canada as well. English heritage countries seem to have a history of stealing children.

While I was in Oz, it came to light about the many children taken from parents in the UK and sent colonies to white populate them. Their records were often destroyed so they couldn't find their families.

Aboriginal mums in Australia faced losing their "mixed race" children for ridiculous reasons. I can't imagine their terror of not knowing if their children would return from school each day.

I eventually bought a home for a ridiculously low price, not knowing it was because my neighbor was anglo/aboriginal. We became good friends, and I learned her story and the stories of others trying to find their familes.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 am

Btw where is maydijo?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 am

Lani wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 am
Btw where is maydijo?
Maydijo, for her sanity, has been taking breaks.

This is one of the topics that causes stress on all good people. I have no words for how fucking EVIL this policy is, and how much damage this asshole is causing. :madguy:

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun May 27, 2018 8:44 am

He blamed it on the Democrats because he wanted the press to make a big deal out of it like Jake Tapper does here:

But since that was on the same day as he made the "animals" statement, it didn't get that much attention. So he makes a tweet about it. The objective is to get a legislative "win" because their polling says the GOP candidates can't run on tax reform. In Trumplogic: he wants to attach the wall funding to DACA, those obstructionist Democrats say no. Since they said no to the wall funding, that means they support MS-13, want to deport dreamers and are separating children from their families.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:53 pm

Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR) tried to gain entrance to one of the detention facilities for children yesterday. He was turned away, and the supervisor of the private facility called the police on him.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dem-senat ... ion-centre

I'm starting not to recognize this country any more. There should be a LOT more coverage on this than I'm seeing so far.

Lani

Post by Lani » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:19 am

Get ready for a lot more immigrants behind bars. There's mucho $$$$ to be made!
Big Money As Private Immigrant Jails Boom

The Trump administration wants to expand its network of immigrant jails. In recent months, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has called for five new detention facilities to be built and operated by private prison corporations across the country. Critics are alarmed at the rising fortunes of an industry that had fallen out of favor with the previous administration.
:snippity:
Human rights groups, including Human Rights First, Human Rights Watch, Detention Watch Network and the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights have compiled reports of medical neglect and deaths in custody. They claim corporations skimp on detainee care in order to maximize profits.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:22 am

Not sure where to post this. Legal resident torn away from daughter and granddaughter.

Matt Novak
@paleofuture
ICE is rounding up legal permanent residents for misdemeanors committed 20 years ago. Remember that “deportation force” everybody was worried about? It’s here.

Mercury News

@mercnews
California woman ‘in shock’ after ICE agents detain father, a legal resident, outside home https://bayareane.ws/2HKn9QX

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am

At some point, the Democratic Party has to share some of the blame for its inability to control the message.

I mean, they can't even put together a campaign like "vote for us, and we'll remove tariffs on friendly countries, stop deporting ordinary citizens who aren't causing any problems, demand reasonable people be placed in judgeships, etc." Why is this party so disorganized they can't come up with an opposition campaign, against one of the most widely disliked people in American culture, on topics that most Americans support?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am

Inside Casa Padre, the converted Walmart where the U.S. is holding nearly 1,500 immigrant children
By Michael E. Miller, Emma Brown and Aaron C. Davis
June 14 at 2:15 AM

BROWNSVILLE, Tex. — For more than a year, the old Walmart along the Mexican border here has been a mystery to those driving by on the highway. In place of the supercenter’s trademark logo hangs a curious sign: “Casa Padre.”

But behind the sliding doors is a bustling city unto itself, equipped with classrooms, recreation centers and medical examination rooms. Casa Padre now houses more than 1,400 immigrant boys, dozens of them forcibly separated from their parents at the border by a new Trump administration “zero-tolerance” policy.

On Wednesday, for the first time since that policy was announced, and amid intense national interest after a U.S. senator was turned away, federal authorities allowed a small group of reporters to tour the secretive shelter, the largest of its kind in the nation.

Inside, in what used to be a McDonald’s, shelter employees served scores of mostly teenage boys chicken, vegetables and plastic fruit cups. In the former loading docks, children watched the animated movie “Moana,” dubbed in Spanish. Where once there was a garage, six young people played basketball.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in ... story.html

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:38 am

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am

At the 11:05 mark in this video they called ICE to see what message parents/family members get IF they call ICE to try to locate their children. And this is what is on the recorded message…
“Thank you for calling the ICE detention reporting and information line. Information you provide during this call may be transcribed and retained in our call logs. This includes names, addresses, phone numbers, other personal identifiers, vehicle information and information related to criminal and immigration history. Additionally, ICE uses caller ID to identify your phone number and may record your phone number if it is available through caller ID. Ice may disclose the information collected during this call within the Department of Homeland Security or externally as appropriate and consistent with federal law and policy. “

Fucking heartless bastards, every damn one of them who stands with Trump on this. :madguy: :brokenheart:

Birfers are toast

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 am

Soulless and depraved.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Bill Pascrell, Jr.

Verified account

@BillPascrell
Follow Follow @BillPascrell
More
We are here today to tell Trump and Jeff Sessions that America welcomes its tired, its poor, its huddled masses -- it doesn't put them in jails and tent cities. What we saw inside is despicable! It is a sin!

11:09 AM - 17 Jun 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Bill Pascrell, Jr.

Verified account

@BillPascrell
Follow Follow @BillPascrell
More
.@RepJerryNadler is describing the heartbreaking stories we heard. Trump and Sessions says they're following laws. There are no laws requiring families to be ripped apart! Republicans control every lever of government. They are making this disgrace happen.

11:20 AM - 17 Jun 2018

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:03 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 am

Fucking heartless bastards, every damn one of them who stands with Trump on this. :madguy: :brokenheart:
That is what is so dismaying about this. It is not just Trump and not just Trump and menbers of his Cabinet. It is what are rightly called Storm Troopers, strutting on our streets.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:03 pm

This is the crux of it:
TM: So, just so I make sure I understand: the parents come in and say, “We’re persecuted” or give some reason for asylum. They come in. And then their child or children are taken away and they’re in lockup for at least six weeks away from the kids and often don’t know where the kids are. Is that what’s happening under zero tolerance?

AC: So the idea of zero tolerance under the stated policy is that we don’t care why you’re afraid. We don’t care if it’s religion, political, gangs, anything. For all asylum seekers, you are going to be put in jail, in a detention center, and you’re going to have your children taken away from you. That’s the policy. They’re not 100 percent able to implement that because of a lot of reasons including just having enough judges on the border. And bed space. There’s a big logistical problem because this is a new policy. So the way they get to that policy of taking the kids away and keeping the adults in detention centers and the kids in a different federal facility is based on the legal rationale that we’re going to convict you, and since we’re going to convict you, you’re going to be in the custody of the U.S. Marshals, and when that happens, we’re taking your kid away. So they’re not able to convict everybody of illegal entry right now just because there aren’t enough judges on the border right now to hear the number of cases that come over, and then they say if you have religious persecution or political persecution or persecution on something that our asylum definition recognizes, you can fight that case behind bars at an immigration detention center. And those cases take two, three, four, five, six months. And what happens to your child isn’t really our concern. That is, you have made the choice to bring your child over illegally. And this is what’s going to happen.

Watch in the near future for private contractors to come in to help solve the "logistical" problems, particularly ones tied to the private prison industry Jeff Sessions has a financial interest in.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:09 pm

TheNewSaint wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 am
At some point, the Democratic Party has to share some of the blame for its inability to control the message.

I mean, they can't even put together a campaign like "vote for us, and we'll remove tariffs on friendly countries, stop deporting ordinary citizens who aren't causing any problems, demand reasonable people be placed in judgeships, etc." Why is this party so disorganized they can't come up with an opposition campaign, against one of the most widely disliked people in American culture, on topics that most Americans support?
We used to joke about this, quoting Will Rogers. It was not the fate of our democracy at stake then. I despair of the current leadership of the Democratic Party and hope that new blood will soon dominate.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Walter Shaub

@waltshaub
Would you attend a march to oppose the new Trump practice of ripping terrified children from their parents at the border?

(Please help by clicking “yes” and retweeting, so we can show the grassroots groups there’s enough interest to make it worth expending resources on this.)

9:16 AM - Jun 17, 2018
Yes
Yes!!!!!!
Vote
21,204 votes • 1 day left

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Jonathan Lemire

@JonLemire
Stephen Miller, in an interview this week:

“It was a simple decision by the administration to have a zero tolerance policy for illegal entry, period. The message is that no one is exempt from immigration law.”

Return to “General Politics”