The Splitting up of Families

Turtle

Re: The Splitting up of Families

Post by Turtle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm

I think I like this newfound courage from the newspaper writers. Rather than dumping thanks and praise on these people, he's going straight to saying they were full of shit on Monday.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Tyler Q. Houlton

Verified account

@SpoxDHS
Follow Follow @SpoxDHS
More
It’s unfortunate that @AmericanAir , @united, and @FlyFrontier no longer want to partner with the brave men and women of DHS to protect the traveling public, combat human trafficking, and to swiftly reunite unaccompanied illegal immigrant children with their families.

1:25 PM - 20 Jun 2018
People are ripping him apart in the replies.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm

Turtle wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:19 pm

I think I like this newfound courage from the newspaper writers. Rather than dumping thanks and praise on these people, he's going straight to saying they were full of shit on Monday.
:like:

He doesn't need the executive order either.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Katie Rogers

Verified account

@katierogers
Follow Follow @katierogers
More
Common theme: A Trump supporter in Duluth, one of many waiting in a long line outside tonight’s rally location, just told me she has compassion for separated families but ultimately believes that the detainment center photos and videos are fake and photoshopped.

12:33 PM - 20 Jun 2018
Pathetic. :madguy:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Haley Byrd

Verified account

@byrdinator
Follow Follow @byrdinator
More
Rep. Darrell Issa leaves GOP meeting with DHS Secretary Nielsen. “She’s not there,” he explains. The meeting was supposed to start half an hour ago

1:58 PM - 20 Jun 2018

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Aura Bogado

Verified account

@aurabogado
Follow Follow @aurabogado
More
If you thought cages were bad, I hate to break it to you: It gets much, much worse. Drunk employees. Sexual assault. The forced administration of heavy psychotropic drugs that leave children "hypnotized." Our new investigation:

7:17 AM - 20 Jun 2018

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Tyler Q. Houlton

Verified account

@SpoxDHS
Follow Follow @SpoxDHS
More
It’s unfortunate that @AmericanAir , @united, and @FlyFrontier no longer want to partner with the brave men and women of DHS to protect the traveling public, combat human trafficking, and to swiftly reunite unaccompanied illegal immigrant children with their families.

1:25 PM - 20 Jun 2018
People are ripping him apart in the replies.
I realize that he's somehow become a hero of the left and all, but let's not forget that branding airlines as being against protecting the traveling public because they don't want to be involved in family separation is a move that comes right out of Rick Wilson's playbook. And that while Rick is all upset with Trump and shit, it's not exactly like he's been overflowing with remorse for (or even awareness of) his not-inconsiderable role in creating the current political shitshow in this country.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:20 pm

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
2m2 minutes ago
More
LIVE: NBC News Special Report: President Trump signs executive order to keep families together at US-Mexico border, but says "zero tolerance" prosecution for people who enter illegally will continue.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:05 pm

The EO has this-
(e) The Attorney General shall promptly file a request with the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California to modify the Settlement Agreement in Flores v. Sessions, CV 85-4544 (“Flores settlement”), in a manner that would permit the Secretary, under present resource constraints, to detain alien families together throughout the pendency of criminal proceedings for improper entry or any removal or other immigration proceedings.
Also this-
It is also the policy of this Administration to maintain family unity, including by detaining alien families together where appropriate and consistent with law and available resources.
I am concerned that conveniently for Trump resources will not become available. :madguy:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... eparation/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 am
https:// twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1009424397109813249
It's World Refugee Day. Here's what Mike Pompeo just said about the U.S. commemorating World Refugee Day: "We will continue to help the world's most vulnerable refugees, reflecting the deeply held values of the American people."
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
Mexico border as most current issue, and Syrian refugees not far behind....

And congrats to dropping out of the Human Rights stuff at the UN. :sarcasm:

tencats

Post by tencats » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:07 pm

Immigrant Children Are Being Shipped More Than 1,000 Miles Away From Their Parents
June 20, 2018
HillReporter reached out to Avenatti and he said kids are being sent to various locations. “Kids are being shipped all over the US from the southern border states. From Texas to Arizona, Florida, New York, Michigan, and California just by way of example. Virginia as well,” Avenatti said.

The costs to transport and ship those children are also climbing. As we reported earlier this morning, Trump’s new “tent cities” cost $775 per night to house each child. Permanent facilities cost less than half of that exorbitant nightly rate.

Despite the creation of pop up tent cities, Trump has attempted to claim “The United States will not be a migrant camp and it won’t be a refugee holding facility.” Unfortunately, that is exactly what the United States has become ever since Jeff Sessions announced the new immigration policies that are now being enforced by Trump and his administration.

https://hillreporter.com/immigrant-chil ... rents-2877
Celebrity lawyer Michael Avenatti takes cases of 50 immigrant women, children separated at the border
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/us-wo ... 009057.php

When Did Caging Kids Become the Art of the Deal?
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/opin ... elsen.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:28 pm

Everyone needs to watch this play out very closely.
Paul McLeod

Verified account

@pdmcleod
Follow Follow @pdmcleod
More Paul McLeod Retweeted Paul McLeod
BREAKING: Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen met with Congress. Gave message the administration knows keeping families together is illegal and knows the request to overturn law will fail. But idea is this buys Congress time to change the laws. Paul McLeod added,
Paul McLeod
Verified account

@pdmcleod
My read of the Trump executive order:

1) They have left clear grounds to keep separating families if they want.…
3:17 PM - 20 Jun 2018

Paul McLeod

Verified account

@pdmcleod
4m4 minutes ago
More
I asked Nielsen what happens with the children already separated. She said ICE is working to reunify those children and will continue to do that.

Except that's not true. The current policy keeps them separated and does not reunify them by design.

Paul McLeod

Verified account

@pdmcleod
3m3 minutes ago
More
It's possible, since the White House is no longer following the order to release children, that they could be put back into detention with their families. But we really don't know what's going to happen to them.

Karo Line

@_LouieFM_
2m2 minutes ago
More
Replying to @pdmcleod
If that's true then all of the executive orders which Donald Trump has signed are worthless.

Univrsle

@univrsle
2m2 minutes ago
More
Replying to @pdmcleod
I am sure there is someone on hand to challenge the EO right this minute too. They can keep families together, they can't keep them together caged for long periods of time....this too will need communicating because I feel like we are ramping up for mass misinformation again.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Send tips 920-228-1025 about ICE via Signal app

@kenklippenstein
1h
Replying to @kenklippenstein
Also I’m hearing some troubling allegations about ICE’s spokesman (unable to verify yet), if anyone has any tips please text me

Send tips 920-228-1025 about ICE via Signal app

@kenklippenstein
DHS' spokesman, @SpoxDHS, just called me and demanded I stop soliciting tips about him via Twitter. He also asked who my sources are.

Why does it feel like this admin hates freedom of the press.

3:41 PM - Jun 20, 2018
Oh, @SpoxDHS, you never do something like that. It just makes the press all the more determined to dig deeper. :lol:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Trump’s new “tent cities” cost $775 per night to house each child.
Umm, I could get them a better deal at a Motel 6. :think:
They say that on his deathbed, Voltaire, asked to renounce the devil, said, "This is no time to be making new enemies."

tencats

Post by tencats » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:57 pm

"Our toxic immigration policies exploit children – for the sake of a lucrative cottage industry"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -us-border
Defense contractors shouldn't be in the childcare business. Must that be said?

:snippity: “Every part of separation is deliberately designed to make a buck,” Bridget Cambria, an immigration lawyer who works with detained children, told me. And to protect that business, the government and private contractors make it as difficult as possible for those affected to seek legal recourse.

Calling the process an “administrative monstrosity”, Cambria explained that the ultimate goal of separating parents and children is deportation of both parent and child, while generating money in the meantime. “Each day, moment, and second a child or parent is in this crazy custody chain – people profit, and they profit a lot.”

The result of separation, Cambria said, is that parents, frantic to do whatever it takes to get their children back, usually give up and accept deportation. She says that the Trump administration’s strategy of family separation places parent and child on two different legal tracks, with the parent likely quickly removed without their child. This results in children (sometimes infants) awaiting proceedings without their parent, in the custody of government contractors.

vic

Post by vic » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Turtle wrote:
:snippity:

I was watching MSNBC at lunch, and they showed a clip of DOTUS announcing his EO would fix everything, followed by a series of clips showing him insisting an EO wouldn't work and that only Congress, or especially the Democrats, were responsible for fixing it. Nice change from "he said, she said", to "he said, but earlier he said just the opposite"

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:46 pm

Julia E. Ainsley

Verified account

@JuliaEAinsley
Follow Follow @JuliaEAinsley
More
Per DOJ press call and convos with HHS, DHS: No one seems to have a plan for reuniting these 2300 kids with their parents

4:08 PM - 20 Jun 2018
:roll: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy: :madguy:

Lani

Post by Lani » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm not seeing anything that reunites families. Am I missing something?
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 pm

It's gonna get stupid in Duluth tonight. There are going to be more protests than usual, but also more agitated Trumpanzees than usual.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Lani wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm
Nope.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:06 pm

vic wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm
Turtle wrote:
:snippity:

I was watching MSNBC at lunch, and they showed a clip of DOTUS announcing his EO would fix everything, followed by a series of clips showing him insisting an EO wouldn't work and that only Congress, or especially the Democrats, were responsible for fixing it. Nice change from "he said, she said", to "he said, but earlier he said just the opposite"
:thumbs:

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Lani wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:54 pm
Dolly posted this in the Keep Family Members Together Act 2018 thread:
Dolly wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:32 pm
No special effort planned to reunite migrant families already separated: report

There will be no special effort from the Trump administration to reunite migrant families separated at the border, according to a report from The New York Times, despite President Trump signing an executive order halting the practice.

The Times cites a Health and Human Services (HHS) Department official as saying that the children will not immediately be reunited with their families while their parents are detained throughout their immigration proceedings.

“There will not be a grandfathering of existing cases,” Kenneth Wolfe, spokesman for the Administration for Children and Families, part of HHS, told The Times.
The Hill has reached out to HHS for further comment.

Wolfe said that the decision about the children would be ultimately be handled by the White House, but said “I can tell you definitively that is going to be policy.”
Justice Department officials told The Times that they did not know whether the policy would resume in 20 days if a federal judge does not give the government power to keep families together a longer period of time.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -separated

BY JULIA MANCHESTER - 06/20/18 06:54 PM EDT

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Is this video full of shit?

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 pm

Yes.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm

I am getting so tired of having to find out if Hillary or Obama did the same thing Trump did before I criticize Trump.

I shouldn't have to do that.

Return to “General Politics”