Andrew McCabe

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Andrew McCabe

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

http://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk ... ssion=true
Graham calls for Senate Judiciary hearing on McCabe firing

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) on Sunday said he believes the Senate Judiciary Committee should hold a hearing on the firing of former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe..."I believe when it comes to this issue we need as much transparency as possible to make sure it wasn't politically motivated," he added.

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), also a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Saturday the panel should hold an oversight hearing on the Trump administration's attacks on the FBI and Justice Department.

Trump's attacks on the FBI and Justice Department, and his celebration of McCabe's firing, have prompted concern from some lawmakers that he may be readying to order Mueller's firing. Graham reiterated on Sunday that he believes such action would be "the beginning of the end" of Trump's presidency.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

Fortinbras

Re: Andrew McCabe

Post by Fortinbras »

McCabe has reportedly turned over a lot of stuff - notes and papers - to Mueller, which suggests that McCabe had - and Trump knew he had - lots of damaging material and knowledge regarding Trump.

I suspect Trump had him fired, depriving him of a lot of pension benefits, to intimidate other govt employees .... but instead the result may be that lots of govt employees are now maximizing their collections of notes and other documents that are damaging to Trump, sort of insurance or at least armament. Trump may have done himself a mortal wound.

And, yes, if Trump fires Mueller then everyone will instinctively assume that Mueller had enough to convict Trump in an impeachment or maybe even a criminal prosecution, and Trump will be in a power dive.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Andrew McCabe: I have the need to hire a Special Senior Staff Attorney to help me with my work on the House Judiciary Committee dealing with threats to the Constitution and the rule of law in America. You're perfect for the job. DM me.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I have mixed emotions about this. Jamie is one of the most liberal members of the House. He voted to challenge Trump's election on the grounds of Russian influence. The motion died for want of a Senator to do the same.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

John Dean turned out to be a good guy in the end. Comey and McCabe don't have as far to climb as he did.

Sterngard Friegen

Dan1100 wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:57 pm
John Dean turned out to be a good guy in the end. Comey and McCabe don't have as far to climb as he did.
As far as I am concerned Comey will never rehabilitate himself. His sanctimonious politicization of the FBI has given us Trump and the rest of what we have today. Comey was also a coward when dealing directly with Trump, as even he admitted during the hearings over his firing. Like the rest of the spineless men and women in Washington these days, they are brave when they're out the door or it's behind Trump's back.

Lani

Post by Lani »

:yeah: :cussing:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Did anyone figure out how Fox published a story before it was announced to the non-state media?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Comey's tweets show up on my feed all the time (quoted by others). He is fond of tweeting the nobel chin-up holier-than-thou head shot of himself. Makes me gag. Sanctimonious is the word.

He posted some shit yesterday about how honorable he had been. I was moved to tag him and mention that he is not as honorable as he thinks he is.

And McCabe too.

All that said, I have no problem maintaining my low opinion of Comey and McCabe while equally loathing the actions of fuckhead toward them and cheering his (fuckhead's) inevitable destruction. I just hope it isn't via nuclear war that takes the rest of us out too.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

pipistrelle wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Did anyone figure out how Fox published a story before it was announced to the non-state media?
That's how they signaled what to do to Trump

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

p0rtia wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 pm
:snippity: All that said, I have no problem maintaining my low opinion of Comey and McCabe while equally loathing the actions of fuckhead toward them and cheering his (fuckhead's) inevitable destruction. I just hope it isn't via nuclear war that takes the rest of us out too.
:yeah:
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Reality Check wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:16 pm
p0rtia wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:40 pm
:snippity: All that said, I have no problem maintaining my low opinion of Comey and McCabe while equally loathing the actions of fuckhead toward them and cheering his (fuckhead's) inevitable destruction. I just hope it isn't via nuclear war that takes the rest of us out too.
:yeah:
:like:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
Vox: How Fox News made Andrew McCabe a “deep state” villain

Fox News spent months building out this storyline.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Andrew McCabe’s firing and Trump’s anti-Mueller tirade, explained
“The president of the United States is unhinged.” By Alex Ward and Zachary Fryer-Biggs -Vox
President Donald Trump’s unprecedented attacks on federal law enforcement turned even more vindictive over a series of jarring events last weekend.

The drama began with the late Friday night firing of former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe just 26 hours before he would have qualified for a full federal pension. It ended Sunday with a string of presidential tweets attacking McCabe, former FBI Director James Comey, and special counsel Robert Mueller. Trump had never before attacked Mueller by name in a tweet.

Taken together, the weekend’s developments show that Trump’s war with US law enforcement has entered a new phase and that the president and his loyalists feel more emboldened to attack Mueller and others working on the Trump-Russia probe directly. It also raised new fears that Trump would take the extreme step of actually firing Mueller himself — a move that both Democrats and Republicans say would spark a constitutional crisis.

“This is an escalation because it’s open warfare against the special counsel by name, and it’s capping off a 10-month effort to thwart the FBI and Mueller,” Andy Wright, a professor at Savannah Law School, told Vox. “I don’t know what happens next because we’re in uncharted territory.”
http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/ ... tter-comey
Birfers are toast

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I had wondered about McCabe's pension. It didn't sound correct that he would completely lose his pension by getting fired just before his 50th birthday. ERISA put into effect certain safeguards, vesting in pension plans within 10 years was one of those safeguards. It turns out that his pension is safe. He just can't get an early payout. He'll have to wait until age 57. And the special early pension depends on him working in law enforcement so working for a Congressman now won't fix the problem. Plus, getting fired for cause also does away with the early retirement option. One of the articles online which talked about these issues - Turns Out Andrew McCabe Didn’t Lose His Pension After All.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Andrew McCabe: Not in my worst nightmares did I dream my FBI career would end this way

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 089b0864ad
The next day I woke to find the president of the United States celebrating my punishment: “Andrew McCabe FIRED, a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI — A great day for Democracy.” I was sad, but not surprised, to see that such unhinged public attacks on me would continue into my life after my service to the FBI. President Trump’s cruelty reminded me of the days immediately following the firing of James B. Comey, as the White House desperately tried to push the falsehood that people in the FBI were celebrating the loss of our director. The president’s comments about me were equally hurtful and false, which shows that he has no idea how FBI people feel about their leaders.

I was drawn to the FBI by nothing more complicated than a desire to do good. In 1994, I submitted a special-agent application, dreaming about what life as a criminal investigator would be like. I devoured every book I could find, and binged on news coverage of FBI investigations. When the day came for me to report to the FBI training academy at Quantico, Va., I embarked on the greatest professional adventure I could ever imagine.

Each year, more than 2,000 men and women of all races, colors and creeds are drawn to the FBI by the same professional and personal desire to do good. It is the DNA that we all share. As acting director, I frequently talked to FBI people about that shared DNA as the glue that bound us together and enabled us to stay mission-focused during the chaos that followed Comey’s firing in May 2017. True to form, our agents, analysts and professional staff reacted as FBI people always do. They continued to protect the American people and uphold the Constitution despite the political winds — and the unprecedented attacks on us by the president and other partisans — that buffeted us.

The nation continues to need them. And not just the current employees of the FBI, but all smart, talented, dedicated people considering careers in the law enforcement and intelligence communities. These are hard jobs that demand sacrifice, often involve danger, and take a toll on families and personal lives. But they also offer the rare opportunity to enter into a sacred trust with the American people: to protect and defend them, honestly, justly and fairly. There is no greater responsibility, but there is no greater reward. We cannot afford for young people to be dissuaded from lives of public service by the divisive politics and partisan attacks that now so characterize our national discourse and that, I believe, played a major role in the end of my FBI career.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sterngard Friegen

Well, Andy, if you hadn't fucked the election in 2016 you'd still have a job and your pension would start when you decided to retire.

So, fuck you.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:18 pm
Well, Andy, if you hadn't fucked the election in 2016 you'd still have a job and your pension would start when you decided to retire.

So, fuck you.
I doubt that Comey and McCabe threw the election to Trump. The collapse of the Democratic Blue Wall in the Midwest was responsible, i think. That seems also to be what Hillary Clinton thinks, per her remarks in India, and it was only a small number of votes in each state. We might not see Hillary’s win in the popular vote if Comey and MvCabe had had an effect. Why they did what they did is a mystery.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Lani

Post by Lani »

HRC dropped in the polls when Comey announced the Huma laptop issue. Campaign organizers looked at the drop and the calender and realized that, based on past events, there wasn't time to recover. Although people did the best they could and pulled out all stops.

Meanwhile, Comey and McCabe didn't say a public thing about the Trump campaign investigation.

So, I'm with :sterngard:
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

I had forgotten both facts. Thanks!
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Fine, let's just write him off completely because he screwed up earlier. If he might have something useful to Meuller investigations, we just toss it out because we're mad at him. Maybe the Democrats can insult him repeatedly so he has no incentive to help now.

At least we'll have Trump.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Sterngard Friegen

Comey and McCabe did what they did because they were part of the Giuliani cult within the FBI that hated Hillary Clinton. They decided to destroy her campaign and didn't care that Trump would be elected.

They both deserved to be fired and neither deserves any sympathy. They helped to create the disaster in which we now find ourselves.

If anyone thinks McCabe will help fight Trump now, or that Comey doesn't want to monetize his own current fame, and nothing else, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Interesting. I accept that the Comey/McCabe actions affected HRC’s vote percentage. I also suspect that there was a Giuliani effect. But did Comey/McCabe change results in the states of the Blue Wall? Had those states not fallen to Trump, HRC would have been in striking distance of victory in the Electoral College.

Sterngard Friegen

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:00 pm
Interesting. I accept that the Comey/McCabe actions affected HRC’s vote percentage. I also suspect that there was a Giuliani effect. But did Comey/McCabe change results in the states of the Blue Wall? Had those states not fallen to Trump, HRC would have been in striking distance of victory in the Electoral College.
We'll never know for certain, but it was a close election and every setback hurt. Comey amd McCabe's misconduct was significant. The FBI also lied about the Trump campaign being under investigation for what Trump is now under investigation for. The FBI was investigating Russian influence and corruption of the Trump campaign in July-August 2016 and denied it when asked.

TollandRCR

Re: Andrew McCa

Post by TollandRCR »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 pm
...The FBI was investigating Russian influence and corruption of the Trump campaign in July-August 2016 and denied it when asked.
Inexcusable because they blithely discussed the email investigation.

I have great trouble thinking of the FBI — or Mueller’s team — as “hardened Democrats.” The FBI may want to appear apolitical, but I am still influenced by the weight of J. Edgar Hoover’s hypocritical opinions. Maybe if they had not named the building for him.

Return to “General Politics”