Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

bob

Re: Sheriff Joe Arpaio - General Topic

Post by bob » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:10 pm

ABC (AP): Joe Arpaio unable to cite evidence in case vs. Sen. Flake's son:
Former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio was unable to cite any evidence on the witness stand Wednesday to back up his now-dismissed animal cruelty case against one of U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake's sons in the 2014 deaths of 21 dogs.

The former six-term sheriff of metro Phoenix told jurors he felt his detectives had gathered the proper evidence to recommend charges after the dogs died of heat exhaustion. He repeatedly declined to explain his confidence in the investigation into Austin Flake and his then-wife Logan Brown, who were caring for the animals at a kennel operated by Brown's parents.

"Once again, I don't have the nuts and bolts," Arpaio said. "The detectives handled it."

He downplayed the number of news conferences he called to discuss the case and was unable to explain why he told reporters shortly after the investigation began that the deaths were suspicious, when his spokesman had called them a tragic accident a day earlier.

"What turned it from tragic accident to highly suspicious in 24 hours?" asked Stephen Montoya, an attorney representing Flake and his ex-wife.

"I don't know," Arpaio answered. "Maybe someone had an opinion."

Montoya asked Arpaio about speaking to another gathering of reporters just days after the deaths and displaying photos of the dead dogs.

Arpaio said he didn't consider the gathering to be a news conference and explained that it grew out questions reporters had about a news release his office sent about the investigation. The event was held at a podium in the sheriff's office where Arpaio regularly spoke to reporters.

The sheriff's attorneys are expected to get a chance later Wednesday to question their client on the stand.

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am

Crazy Joe is now considering running for Jeff Flake's Senate seat:

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/08/now-jo ... nate-seat/

I would think his age alone would be a drawback, let alone his inability to play well with others.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:23 am

bob wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:43 pm
Ariz. Central [in Nov.]: Roberts: Joe Arpaio says he may run for Senate but only if you send him cash ASAP:
There are two things in in life that are absolutely guaranteed.

No, not death and taxes.

One. The fact that every time a major political office opens up in Arizona, Joe Arpaio will I'm a trial a balloon that he might make a run for it. This, because he says his supporters are overwhelming him with requests that he jump into the race. (See: governor's races in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.)

And Two. After he’s gotten maximum TV and internet exposure, he will announce that reluctantly, he’s decided not to run, after all. (See: governor's races in 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2014.)

This time, however, he’s not just snookering gullible journalists.

That’s right. Maricopa County’s favorite ousted sheriff and pardoned misdemeanor criminal is cranking up the old fundraising machine once again.

His latest plea: give me cash so I can decide whether to run for the open U.S. Senate seat created by Jeff Flake's decision not to run again.

bob

Post by bob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Gallups on the Facebook:
BREAKING - EXCLUSIVE TO PNN
Pastor Carl just got off the phone with Mike Zullo.

Sheriff Arpaio is letting it out that he is giving very serious consideration to running for Senate for the state of Arizona. Some media outlets are just now beginning to report the prospect.

Zullo says THIS IS NOT A RUSE ... Sheriff Arpaio is extremely serious about this. Stay tuned for more. PRAY!
Well, if Gallups is "reporting" what Arpaio said to Zullo, that settles it for me:

Arpaio's definitely just grifting.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Flake’s Son Says He was ‘Terrified’ of Arpaio’s Prosecution
Senator’s son Austin testifies in malicious prosecution trial against sheriff

Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s son Austin testified Wednesday he was “terrified of what was going to come” as former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio pursued what he says were politically motivated charges against him.

Austin Flake said he lost faith in the criminal justice system due to Arpaio’s pursuit of an animal cruelty case against him and his ex-wife Logan Brown, AZ Central reported.

“My belief in the justice system fell apart,” Flake testified. “I was terrified of what was going to come.”

Flake has alleged that Arpaio’s pursuit of charges against him and Brown in the death of 21 dogs in a kennel Brown’s parents managed was politically motivated.

Flake’s father supported comprehensive immigration reform, while Arpaio was a hardliner when it came to cracking down on undocumented immigrants.
more
http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/f ... nst-arpaio

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

bob

Post by bob » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:28 pm

ABC: Jury rules for Joe Arpaio in lawsuit by senator's son, ex-wife:
An Arizona jury has refused to award damages against former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio at a civil trial for bringing a since-dismissed criminal case against one of Sen. Jeff Flake's sons in the heat-exhaustion deaths of 21 dogs.

Jurors late Thursday ruled against Austin Flake and his then-wife Logan Brown in their malicious-prosecution lawsuit stemming from Arpaio's investigation into the heat-exhaustion deaths of 21 dogs at a kennel operated by Flake's in-laws.

Montoya said the federal judge in the case said during the trial he wouldn't enter a final judgment until lawyers for Arpaio and the county explain a failure to turn over documents in the case. "We will access our future options in this fight when the county complies with the court's order," Montoya said.

bob

Post by bob » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 pm

PNT: Joe Arpaio Wrote the Foreword to a Bonkers Novel by Steven Seagal:
The Way of the Shadow Wolves: The Deep State and the Hijacking of America is unlike any other book you've read. And not in a good way.

In some ways, the cover and ridiculously long title say everything. Steven Seagal stares at the reader from behind orange sunglasses, wearing a fringe jacket and turquoise pendant. He's overlaid on a ghostly image of a wolf with glowing orange eyes. Get it? In this book, Steven Seagal is the shadow wolf.

Open the book, and it only gets worse after a foreword by Seagal's old law-enforcement posse pal Joe Arpaio.

Set in Arizona, the book is a painful slog: page after page of wooden action-thriller dialogue stirred up with hardline, conspiracist "Deep State" nonsense. From an early chapter, where a co-conspirator conveniently lays out the novel's throughline:
[T]his trafficking of human jihadists is approved by the president himself and being protected by rogue elements of the CIA, FBI, and DEA — the same rogue elements that have been smuggling drugs, guns, gold, cash, and small children for the American elite ever since Allen Dulles and J. Edgar Hoover first created the secret state within a state.

Embarrassingly bad paperback-thriller writing is excusable. What's not is a feverish plot that's also extremely offensive and Islamophobic. To give you an idea, at one point, Gode takes care to dip his bullets and knife in pigs' blood. He asks of Obama, "Who was raised Muslim? … Who bows to Muslim kings? Who has a history no one can know?"

[Co-author Tom] Morrissey stepped down from the Republican Party chairmanship after raising the Obama birther conspiracy theory in 2012.[*]

As far as the book, I haven’t read it," Arpaio added. "But they asked me if I would make a comment in the book."

Arpaio declined to elaborate on his allegations in the foreword of “powers known today as the Deep State" working to undermine President Trump. From Arpaio's preamble:
The activities of the "Deep State" operatives are a grave danger to our country because they are working against the effort to secure our borders. It is my belief that books such as this, bring a better understanding through fiction. This will help to bring an awakening which has been smothered by the entrenched leftist mindset that dominates the creative media in this country today.
As for what he means by the "Deep State," Arpaio wouldn't say. “Well, there’s a lot of connotations on that," Arpaio told New Times. "I think when you’re dealing with the federal government in the U.S., there’s a lot of conspiracy theories, and all that. So once I get to read the book, I’ll get more insight.”

And Arpaio writes in the foreword that the novel “is less than a hair’s breadth from the frightening truth of what is actually happening today in America.”

As for the former sheriff? He says he's working on a new book of his own. And, surprise! He's still making noise about a run for the Senate. Arpaio said that the clock is ticking and we can look forward to an announcement that could come as soon as next month.

"I’m pretty well leaning toward — haven’t decided yet — but I’m leaning toward running for Flake’s seat," Arpaio said. "So you may be hearing a lot more from that sheriff."
* Morrissey and two other Arizona electors in the 2012 Electoral College had expressed "doubts" about Obama's birth certificate.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 pm

The "Deep State" is just a euphemism for what they want to say: "Jews."

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Off Topic
from wikipedia:
In 2013, Seagal joined newly formed Russian firearms manufacturer ORSIS, representing the company in both a promotional capacity[40] as well as lobbying for the easement of US import restrictions on Russian sporting firearms.[41] It was also announced he would work with the company to develop a signature long range rifle known provisionally as "ORSIS by Steven Seagal".

Citizenships
Seagal was granted Serbian citizenship on 11 January 2016, following several visits to the country, and has been asked to teach aikido to the Serbian Special Forces.[46]

Seagal was granted Russian citizenship on 3 November 2016; according to government spokesman Dmitry Peskov, "He was asking quite insistently and over a lengthy period to be granted citizenship."[47][48]

Allegations and lawsuits
Sexual harassment and domestic violence <SNIP>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Seagal
October 13, 2017
Steven Seagal: Drug warrior, honorary cop, alleged serial sex abuser

The Harvey Weinstein scandal has finally cast some needed light on sexual harassment and alleged sexual abuse by the men who wield power in Hollywood. We’ve also known for years about widespread sexual abuse by police officers, which is also often driven by power imbalances between the officers and the women they attack.

Believe it or not, there’s actually a point of convergence between these two stories. His name is Steven Seagal.

In the wake of the Weinstein scandal, a number of women have come forward this week with allegations of sexual harassment against the action movie star. <SNIP>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... bfae95a08f
NOV. 10, 2017, 9:09 A.M.
Jenny McCarthy on Steven Seagal allegation: 'How many girls had to take off their clothes?'

Jenny McCarthy has again shared her story of a casting-couch encounter she says she had with actor Steven Seagal. <SNIP>
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la ... story.html
Portia de Rossi Accuses Steven Seagal of Sexual Misconduct
She joins a list of actresses who allege that the action star has harassed them. <SNIP>
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... a-de-rossi

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:59 pm
The "Deep State" is just a euphemism for what they want to say: "Jews."
:yeah:

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 am

Aaron Blake‏
Verified account

@AaronBlake
Follow
Follow @AaronBlake

More
Joe Arpaio is actually running for Senate
:o

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 am

NBC News

Verified account

@NBCNews
1m
1 minute ago

More
JUST IN: Joe Arpaio announces that he plans to run for US Senate in Arizona "for one unwavering reason: to support the agenda and policies" of President Trump.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 am

Nate Silver‏Verified account
@NateSilver538
:snippity:
Possible he splits the #MAGA vote and takes more votes from Ward than McSally. Still, things are generally going badly for Republicans in Arizona, which should probably rate as "leans Democratic" rather than "tossup" in this sort of political environment.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm

Scott Wong

Verified account

@scottwongDC
1m
1 minute ago

More
Scott Wong Retweeted Scott Wong
Second AZ source: "My cynical side says it’s a cash grab for donations, which he can use to pay legal bills" from his criminal contempt conviction.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Arpaio might (or might not) have a following in the Phoenix area, but in other parts of Arizona his name has negative impact. He probably won't survive the first primary. If he persists in running as a third-party or write-in, he might be an effective spoiler .... but it's too early and I'm too far away to predict who will benefit.

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:32 pm

We need a new topic, Sheriff Joe for AZ Senate. :lol:

I can't remember how to create a new one.

I was worried that my visits here were dwindling. Don't want to lose contact with my FB friends. So one good thing Arpaio has done: This will have me here visiting often!

Nothing will galvanize new Latino voters like a Joe Arpaio candidacy. Very, very exciting. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Joe Arpaio is back — and brought his undying Obama birther theory with him
Arpaio told CNN’s Chris Cuomo on Wednesday that he still thinks Obama’s birth certificate is fake, even though the biggest fanner of the birther flame — President Trump — said in 2016 that he believes Obama was born in Hawaii, not Kenya.

“You believe that President Obama’s birth certificate is a phony?” Cuomo asked on his CNN show Wednesday night.

“No doubt about it. No doubt about it,” Arpaio replied, seemingly aggrieved about Cuomo bringing the issue up. “We have the evidence.”

He added: “I’m not going to go into all the detail, but yes, it’s a phony document.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 1850748fee

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Genealogy nerds: When did Arpaio's parents naturalize? (I.e., before or after Arpaio's birth?)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm
Genealogy nerds: When did Arpaio's parents naturalize? (I.e., before or after Arpaio's birth?)
:shock: :o Arpaio an anchor baby ??? :-D

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm

This seems like something his lawyer would have told him about before accepting the pardon.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm

bob wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm
Nicola Ciro Arpaio and Josephine Marie Marinaro married in 1931. Joe killed his mother when she gave birth to him. The 1940 census has Ciro Arpaio as a 39 year old widower, a lodger, with a 7 year old son. Claims he is naturalized.

Nicola Arpaio, born March 1, 1901, arrived in the United States 1 July 1923, in New York City. There's another Nicola Arpaio, born 1890, who has naturalization records on file--but I couldn't find anything for Joe's father (but I was just skimming through).

bob

Post by bob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Azastan wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm
Nicola Ciro Arpaio and Josephine Marie Marinaro married in 1931. Joe killed his mother when she gave birth to him. The 1940 census has Ciro Arpaio as a 39 year old widower, a lodger, with a 7 year old son. Claims he is naturalized.
Thanks. Good thing Arpaio wasn't sheriff when they came to America.

foilwatcher

Post by foilwatcher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:00 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm
Arpaio might (or might not) have a following in the Phoenix area, but in other parts of Arizona his name has negative impact. He probably won't survive the first primary. If he persists in running as a third-party or write-in, he might be an effective spoiler .... but it's too early and I'm too far away to predict who will benefit.
Arpaio lost his reelection bid for Maricopa Co. sheriff in 2016 to a democrat. The state is red but turning a little more blue each year. The Senate primary will have a few contestants challenging Arpaio; Kelli Ward who is a Bannon pick and Martha McSally who is a moderate republican serving the bluer southern half of the state. McSally's not that well known in the northern half and Ward has had a few political losses over the years and not really known in the southern half of the state so Arpaio may just have a shot at this just because of the name recognition. John 'Dildo' Ritzheimer had announced he was running last month but 'pulled out' of the race....gotta be a joke in there somewhere!

"Well la de freakin' da!" ~~ Matt Foley

bob

Post by bob » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Smells like Montgomery! :thumbs:

mighty dawg

Post by mighty dawg » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Joe Arpaio has given at least 5 interviews to an anti-Semitic publication
Republican U.S. Senate candidate Joe Arpaio has given several interviews to a publication that traffics in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and on Wednesday declined an opportunity to distance himself from the extremist material.

Arpaio, the controversial former Maricopa County sheriff, said he was unfamiliar with other stories on the "American Free Press" website, such as an interview with the author of an anti-Semitic book that was headlined "Jewish Fingerprints All Over 9-11." But Arpaio declined to criticize it or other anti-Semitic content associated with the publication.

"I'm not going to criticize the news media like you," Arpaio told The Arizona Republic. "I can't believe another news outlet is criticizing a newspaper."

On Thursday, after his comments were first published on azcentral.com, Arpaio tweeted that he doesn't support anti-Semitism.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" - Albert Einstein

Return to “General Politics”