Trump’s DOT withdraws from $24B New York-New Jersey tunnel project

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

Lordy, lordy. It will be good to see NJ swing back to the Dems.

New York Daily News

The Trump administration has pulled out of a group overseeing a $24 billion transportation project meant to increase train capacity between New York and New Jersey.

The Department of Transportation sent notice of its withdrawal to the Gateway Program Development Corporation on Friday.

“It is not DOT’s standard practice to serve in such a capacity on other local transportation projects,” said the letter to Richard Bagger, chairman of Gateway’s board of trustees.

The Gateway program would bring a new rail bridge, called Portal North, to Newark and a tunnel under the Hudson River. ...

The existing underwater tunnel is more than a century old and it took a beating from Hurricane Sandy. A new tunnel would let crews repair the old tube, a source of chronic delays and equipment malfunctions.

To fund the massive infrastructure projects, New York and New Jersey officials agreed with the Obama administration to split the costs with the federal government. The development corporation was formed to coordinate financing and construction.
¡Qué vergüenza!

realist

Re: Trump’s DOT withdraws from $24B New York-New Jersey tunnel project

Post by realist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 am

So I suppose this is a result of Trump's big push for repairing our infrastructure and a result of "infrastructure week"?

:brickwallsmall:
ImageX 4 (have met 36 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm

realist wrote:So I suppose this is a result of Trump's big push for repairing our infrastructure and a result of "infrastructure week"?

Rural infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting red areas) : good.
Urban infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting blue areas) : bad.

Seriously, this is a thing. The GOP has successfully conned the rural reds into believing two key things: 1. That they pay the majority of the taxes; 2. That they and their tax money are supporting the lazy, good-for-nothing blues.

The reality is the exact opposite. However, because they are now firmly committed to believing this, the GOP/rural reds are now out to slash funding for anything that supports urban areas, because that's where the 'takers' live.

realist

Post by realist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:53 pm

While that's a excellent analysis, Deja, I think it's much more simple than that .

I believe it's just more in keeping with the Trump/GOP narrative of: Obama did it so we must undo it, no matter the benefit to the citizens of our country.
ImageX 4 (have met 36 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:05 pm

DejaMoo wrote: Rural infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting red areas) : good.
Urban infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting blue areas) : bad.
Another possibility is he might focus on export infrastructure and tourism. If you look at his business dealings, they mostly involve luxury accommodations, and many of his backers are mostly interested in getting raw materials to port cities for export.

So his idea of 'infrastructure improvement' could just involve moving wealthy people from hub to resort and goods from the interior to ports. Improvements that strengthen the lower and middle class (urban or rural) might not be a priority.

And we have already seen his common supporters do not really care if he delivers actual benefits to them, so he has no real incentive to build out rural infrastructure.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Is this the same tunnel project that Christy turned down when he first became governor eight years ago? If it is, that's where he first came to my attention.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:45 pm

This article makes the point that one-third of the US's rail freight traffic goes through Chicago. The problem is, our infrastructure deficit means that Chicago's rail system is hopelessly antique and inefficient. A few upgrades would significantly improve freight transport throughout the entire country. But since Illinois is a blue state, it's exceedingly doubtful the Republicans would authorize the funding. And the railroads don't think they should have to shoulder the costs.

America's Political Economy: Infrastructure and Chicago's 75th Street Corridor
Given how inadequate American rail passenger services are, it is easy to underestimate the significance America’s rail freight system. 40% of the ton-miles (freight tonnage multiplied by distance traveled) that freight travels in the US goes by rail. It remains the backbone of the logistics system of the largest economy in the world. Indeed, the dominance of freight is one of the reasons why American passenger services suck. Freight dominates the system. Dictates the track layout and sometimes has priority in traffic planning.

One place where the two come into immediate conflict is Chicago. Chicago is the hub. One third of all freight traffic in the US goes through Chicago. As an Amtrak report notes , 60% of all rail intermodal traffic (shipments in trailers and containers that move by a combination of rail and truck and/or ship).” This adds up to 600 million tons of rail freight, valued at over a trillion dollars, moving through Chicago each year.

Chicago’s rail network the hub of the US transportation system is a poorly coordinated relic of 19th-century railway development...As a result Chicago is unfit for 21st century purposes and the pressures on it are only mounting over time.

“A freight train more than 10,000 feet long, hauling hundreds of shipping containers, sits idle in residential Chicago. It’s the middle of the afternoon, and the CSX train is just parked there. Waiting. At this stretch of railroad, known as the 75th Street Corridor, that scene plays out day after day. Freight trains spend hours waiting for commuter and Amtrak trains to clear a single intersection, blocking their path and preventing the delivery of goods. The corridor sits in an urban neighborhood southwest of downtown Chicago. It’s widely considered the worst choke point for rail movement in the city, which is the busiest rail hub in the nation. With hundreds of billions of dollars in goods traveling through Chicago by rail every year, each minute those freight trains are stalled, companies and consumers alike are losing money or being forced to spend more for the goods those trains haul. Down the track from the stationary CSX train, a Metra commuter train rumbles through the worst part of the corridor: Forest Hill Junction, a six-track intersection shared by Amtrak, commuter, and freight rail. A few minutes later, another Metra train rolls through. Because these commuter trains run perpendicular to the track the freight train uses — and almost always have the right of way — the freight has to wait.”

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

realist wrote:So I suppose this is a result of Trump's big push for repairing our infrastructure and a result of "infrastructure week"?

No, it's the result of not being liked in NY/NJ. this is spite.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 pm

realist wrote:While that's a excellent analysis, Deja, I think it's much more simple than that .

I believe it's just more in keeping with the Trump/GOP narrative of: Obama did it so we must undo it, no matter the benefit to the citizens of our country.
:yeah:
"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 am

Some infrastructure President ...
Proposed budget cuts rail expansion funds in several cites

The budget proposed cutting federal funds for all projects which had not obtained final approval, including almost final projects in Seattle, Minneapolis and Maryland.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 am

Jcolvin2 wrote:Some infrastructure President ...
Proposed budget cuts rail expansion funds in several cites

The budget proposed cutting federal funds for all projects which had not obtained final approval, including almost final projects in Seattle, Minneapolis and Maryland.
I really don't suspect that particular budget cutting will get much traction with the congresscritters from those localities, particularly not when it means money coming in to the local economy and they have elections coming up.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:25 am

For those of you who have heard of New Jersey's fucked up, corrupt politics, but aren't quite sure how corrupt is corrupt, reading this story will make you want to throw up. For those of us who've heard it all before, nauseating still. I've taken a liberty with the article's title.
Salon: Chris Christie’s era of misrule in Jersey: The empty swamp mall and the canceled tunnel
¡Qué vergüenza!

Return to “General Politics”