New York-New Jersey tunnel project

Addie

New York-New Jersey tunnel project

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

Thread title has changed

========================

Lordy, lordy. It will be good to see NJ swing back to the Dems.

New York Daily News
Trump’s DOT withdraws from $24B New York-New Jersey tunnel project

The Trump administration has pulled out of a group overseeing a $24 billion transportation project meant to increase train capacity between New York and New Jersey.

The Department of Transportation sent notice of its withdrawal to the Gateway Program Development Corporation on Friday.

“It is not DOT’s standard practice to serve in such a capacity on other local transportation projects,” said the letter to Richard Bagger, chairman of Gateway’s board of trustees.

The Gateway program would bring a new rail bridge, called Portal North, to Newark and a tunnel under the Hudson River. ...

The existing underwater tunnel is more than a century old and it took a beating from Hurricane Sandy. A new tunnel would let crews repair the old tube, a source of chronic delays and equipment malfunctions.

To fund the massive infrastructure projects, New York and New Jersey officials agreed with the Obama administration to split the costs with the federal government. The development corporation was formed to coordinate financing and construction.

¡Qué vergüenza!

realist

Re: Trump’s DOT withdraws from $24B New York-New Jersey tunnel project

Post by realist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 am

So I suppose this is a result of Trump's big push for repairing our infrastructure and a result of "infrastructure week"?

:brickwallsmall:

ImageX 4 ImageX36

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm

realist wrote:So I suppose this is a result of Trump's big push for repairing our infrastructure and a result of "infrastructure week"?

Rural infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting red areas) : good.
Urban infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting blue areas) : bad.

Seriously, this is a thing. The GOP has successfully conned the rural reds into believing two key things: 1. That they pay the majority of the taxes; 2. That they and their tax money are supporting the lazy, good-for-nothing blues.

The reality is the exact opposite. However, because they are now firmly committed to believing this, the GOP/rural reds are now out to slash funding for anything that supports urban areas, because that's where the 'takers' live.

realist

Post by realist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:53 pm

While that's a excellent analysis, Deja, I think it's much more simple than that .

I believe it's just more in keeping with the Trump/GOP narrative of: Obama did it so we must undo it, no matter the benefit to the citizens of our country.

ImageX 4 ImageX36

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:05 pm

DejaMoo wrote: Rural infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting red areas) : good.
Urban infrastructure (i.e. blue taxes benefiting blue areas) : bad.
Another possibility is he might focus on export infrastructure and tourism. If you look at his business dealings, they mostly involve luxury accommodations, and many of his backers are mostly interested in getting raw materials to port cities for export.

So his idea of 'infrastructure improvement' could just involve moving wealthy people from hub to resort and goods from the interior to ports. Improvements that strengthen the lower and middle class (urban or rural) might not be a priority.

And we have already seen his common supporters do not really care if he delivers actual benefits to them, so he has no real incentive to build out rural infrastructure.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Is this the same tunnel project that Christy turned down when he first became governor eight years ago? If it is, that's where he first came to my attention.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:45 pm

This article makes the point that one-third of the US's rail freight traffic goes through Chicago. The problem is, our infrastructure deficit means that Chicago's rail system is hopelessly antique and inefficient. A few upgrades would significantly improve freight transport throughout the entire country. But since Illinois is a blue state, it's exceedingly doubtful the Republicans would authorize the funding. And the railroads don't think they should have to shoulder the costs.

America's Political Economy: Infrastructure and Chicago's 75th Street Corridor
Given how inadequate American rail passenger services are, it is easy to underestimate the significance America’s rail freight system. 40% of the ton-miles (freight tonnage multiplied by distance traveled) that freight travels in the US goes by rail. It remains the backbone of the logistics system of the largest economy in the world. Indeed, the dominance of freight is one of the reasons why American passenger services suck. Freight dominates the system. Dictates the track layout and sometimes has priority in traffic planning.

One place where the two come into immediate conflict is Chicago. Chicago is the hub. One third of all freight traffic in the US goes through Chicago. As an Amtrak report notes , 60% of all rail intermodal traffic (shipments in trailers and containers that move by a combination of rail and truck and/or ship).” This adds up to 600 million tons of rail freight, valued at over a trillion dollars, moving through Chicago each year.

Chicago’s rail network the hub of the US transportation system is a poorly coordinated relic of 19th-century railway development...As a result Chicago is unfit for 21st century purposes and the pressures on it are only mounting over time.

“A freight train more than 10,000 feet long, hauling hundreds of shipping containers, sits idle in residential Chicago. It’s the middle of the afternoon, and the CSX train is just parked there. Waiting. At this stretch of railroad, known as the 75th Street Corridor, that scene plays out day after day. Freight trains spend hours waiting for commuter and Amtrak trains to clear a single intersection, blocking their path and preventing the delivery of goods. The corridor sits in an urban neighborhood southwest of downtown Chicago. It’s widely considered the worst choke point for rail movement in the city, which is the busiest rail hub in the nation. With hundreds of billions of dollars in goods traveling through Chicago by rail every year, each minute those freight trains are stalled, companies and consumers alike are losing money or being forced to spend more for the goods those trains haul. Down the track from the stationary CSX train, a Metra commuter train rumbles through the worst part of the corridor: Forest Hill Junction, a six-track intersection shared by Amtrak, commuter, and freight rail. A few minutes later, another Metra train rolls through. Because these commuter trains run perpendicular to the track the freight train uses — and almost always have the right of way — the freight has to wait.”

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

realist wrote:So I suppose this is a result of Trump's big push for repairing our infrastructure and a result of "infrastructure week"?

No, it's the result of not being liked in NY/NJ. this is spite.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:26 pm

realist wrote:While that's a excellent analysis, Deja, I think it's much more simple than that .

I believe it's just more in keeping with the Trump/GOP narrative of: Obama did it so we must undo it, no matter the benefit to the citizens of our country.
:yeah:

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

Jcolvin2

Post by Jcolvin2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 am

Some infrastructure President ...
Proposed budget cuts rail expansion funds in several cites

The budget proposed cutting federal funds for all projects which had not obtained final approval, including almost final projects in Seattle, Minneapolis and Maryland.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 am

Jcolvin2 wrote:Some infrastructure President ...
Proposed budget cuts rail expansion funds in several cites

The budget proposed cutting federal funds for all projects which had not obtained final approval, including almost final projects in Seattle, Minneapolis and Maryland.
I really don't suspect that particular budget cutting will get much traction with the congresscritters from those localities, particularly not when it means money coming in to the local economy and they have elections coming up.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:25 am

For those of you who have heard of New Jersey's fucked up, corrupt politics, but aren't quite sure how corrupt is corrupt, reading this story will make you want to throw up. For those of us who've heard it all before, nauseating still. I've taken a liberty with the article's title.
Salon: Chris Christie’s era of misrule in Jersey: The empty swamp mall and the canceled tunnel

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Re: New York-New Jersey tunnel project

Post by Addie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 am

Northjersey.com
Trump infrastructure plan bumps Gateway tunnel to the back of the line

Two years ago, a new rail tunnel under the Hudson River into New York's Penn Station was considered one of the most important infrastructure projects in the country.

Yet the $12.7 billion Gateway project did not even rate a mention in the much-ballyhooed blueprint for revamping American infrastructure that was unveiled Monday by President Donald Trump.

Trump's Fiscal Year 2019 budget, also released Monday, cuts funding for Amtrak's long-distance passenger trains and eliminates the very federal program through which the project was supposed to be funded.

It was hard to tell Monday that Trump wasn't talking about Gateway in a statement about the need for rebuilding roads, tunnels and bridges that he sent to members of Congress.

"Our nation's infrastructure is in an unacceptable state of disrepair, which damages our country's competitiveness and our citizens' quality of life," Trump said. "For too long, lawmakers have invested in infrastructure inefficiently, ignored critical needs, and allowed it to deteriorate."

But while President Barack Obama's administration put Gateway at the front of the line, Trump's has sent it to the back.

¡Qué vergüenza!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 am
Northjersey.com
Trump infrastructure plan bumps Gateway tunnel to the back of the line
:snippity:

But while President Barack Obama's administration put Gateway at the front of the line, Trump's has sent it to the back.
Cause it was an Obama cause. Ahhh - and sidelining an infrastructure project of course Makes America Great Again. All those potential overseas investors will remember it.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 pm

WaPo
Trump pushes Republicans to oppose crucial New York-New Jersey tunnel project

President Trump is pushing congressional Republicans not to fund a crucial infrastructure project — a long-delayed plan to build a new rail tunnel between Manhattan and New Jersey — setting up a confrontation that could complicate passage of a massive government spending bill this month.

Trump personally appealed to House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) this week to target federal funding for the $30 billion Gateway project, which would construct a tunnel into New York’s Penn Station to supplement two aging tubes that are at risk of failing in the coming years.

The project is widely considered to be among the most pressing and most expensive infrastructure needs in the country, and state and local leaders have long sought federal funding to jump-start work on it. But the Trump administration threw the project into doubt late last year by casting aside an agreement reached during the Obama administration that would have the federal government pick up half the project’s cost.

And now, according to four officials familiar with the discussions, Trump has taken a personal interest in making sure no federal dollars flow to a project that is considered critical to his hometown’s long-term economic prosperity....

In an interview this week, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.), who chairs the House appropriations subcommittee on transportation, said the project was among the top priorities to be funded in the new bill. He cited the project’s impact on the nation’s largest metropolitan area and the risk to the national economy if the existing rail tunnels were to fail.

¡Qué vergüenza!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 pm

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

I wish I could say I'm surprised. :x

These days not much that comes out of the White House surprises me; it does shock me sometimes, though.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 pm
WaPo

And now, according to four officials familiar with the discussions, Trump has taken a personal interest in making sure no federal dollars flow to a project that is considered critical to his hometown’s long-term economic prosperity....

Hmmmm. I seem to recall that both New York and New Jersey voted for Hillary rather than the OSG. I also recall that one of OSG's major characteristics is his delight in being able to take revenge whenever possible. Seems like there just might be some connecting of dots here, non?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:52 am

New York Times
Trump’s Yanked Support for Hudson Tunnel Angers Those Who Saw a Done Deal

For beleaguered commuters who ride trains into and out of New York City, the plan to dig new rail tunnels under the Hudson River must, by now, seem like a big tease.

Just a few months ago, the idea once again appeared to have gained the support it needed in Washington and, once again, it looks as if one powerful official — in this case, the president — could put a stop to it. The latest and perhaps most ominous threat came late Friday night when it was revealed that President Trump had asked Republican leaders to withdraw federal funding for the project.

Mr. Trump has promised to spur “the biggest and boldest infrastructure investment in American history.” So his opposition to an established project that is widely considered a solution to one of the nation’s most critical infrastructure needs has confounded even veterans of his own party. Some fear that Mr. Trump is jeopardizing commerce along the Eastern Seaboard simply to spite Senator Charles E. Schumer, the Democratic leader from New York.

“If the news reports are accurate that he wants to kill it or hold it because he’s mad at Chuck Schumer, that makes no sense,” said Representative Peter King, Republican of Long Island. “This is essential to the national economy as well as the regional economy.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:03 am

If I were ever likely to think that Trump might be growing up while President this would tell me that he is still a spoiled child.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:31 am

WaPo
Inside Trump’s decision to block a crucial New York-New Jersey tunnel project

When New York and New Jersey officials came to the Oval Office last September to lobby President Trump on a $30 billion tunnel, they found the president in fine fettle.

The president asked detailed questions about the tunnel, bemoaned the city’s airports, bragged about his construction record, boasted about the length of his private plane, referred to New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo (D) as “my governor” and shook Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer’s hand so many times that others laughed.

Officials left thinking Trump was on board with federal funding for the Gateway project, seen as a critical infrastructure for the millions who commute into New York City. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao also told New York officials for months in 2017 that the project was a top priority, two people familiar with her comments said. The project had also been listed as a high priority in a Trump transition document.

“It was almost like he was saying to ask for more money,” said Rep. Peter T. King (R-N.Y.), who was at the meeting. “We’ve heard nothing negative since then.” ...

Trump has complained about Schumer for months, saying the New York Democrat wants to resist his agenda for political purposes. Trump’s aides have occasionally gotten him “spun up,” in the words of one adviser, that Schumer is criticizing Trump privately, misrepresenting their conversations to the news media and blocking his agency nominees.

Trump has told others that Schumer would be less likely to provide votes for a larger infrastructure bill if he secures money for the tunnel now, two of these people said.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:05 pm

The Hill
Chao confirms Trump pushing Ryan to withhold Gateway project funding

Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao on Tuesday confirmed that President Trump is pressing Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to withhold funding for the multibillion-dollar Gateway rail project in the New York metro region.

“Yes,” Chao told Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (D-N.Y.) when asked if Trump is "personally intervening with the Speaker to kill this project."

Chao argued to the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee that New York and New Jersey should contribute more funding to the project, which aims to rebuild passenger rail connections under the Hudson River between New York City and Newark, N.J.

“The president is concerned about the viability of this project and the fact that New York and New Jersey have no skin in the game," Chao told Maloney. ...

Since taking office, the Trump administration has backed away from the federal government’s involvement in the project, withdrawing from the program’s board last summer. And in a December letter, the Federal Transit Administration denied the presence of an agreement that says the federal government would split the cost of the project with New Jersey and New York.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm

The Hill
Schumer: Gateway project is a go despite Trump's objection

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that a multibillion-dollar rail project in the New York metro region is a go, despite the Trump administration’s opposition to funding the program in an upcoming omnibus spending bill.

“The goods news is we have bipartisan support for getting it done,” Schumer told reporters as Democrats unveiled their own infrastructure plan. “And from everything I hear, it’s all-systems-move-ahead despite what the president had to say.”

New York and New Jersey lawmakers for the last week have pressed Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao for answers on the Gateway Program, which aims to rebuild passenger rail connections under the Hudson River between the two states. Chao engaged in heated exchanges with several lawmakers from the two states on Tuesday in front of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, arguing the states should put up more money for Gateway. In one of those interactions, Chao appeared to confirm a report in The Washington Post that said President Trump pressed Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to block $950 million in funding for the project.

But a senior Department of Transportation official later clarified to reporters that the administration opposes funding the project in the upcoming spending bill, describing the money as an earmark, but is not trying to kill the program altogether.

¡Qué vergüenza!

tek

Post by tek » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm sure DJT is now even more beloved by his Manhattan neighbors..

Not.

listen to the tide slowly turning

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 am

NJ.com: Trump threatens to shut down government rather than fund Gateway tunnel

¡Qué vergüenza!

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Addie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:09 am