Chris Christie's Bridge Scandal - Bridgegate

p0rtia

Re: Chris Christie's Bridge Scandal - Bridgegate

Post by p0rtia »

The question that always comes to mind when bridgegate is mentioned. Fuckhead with brains.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:56 pm How did Christie stay out of prison on Bridgegate?
He wouldn't fit in the cell.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

FTR, not a fan of fat-shaming, even for contemptible shits like CC.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage
Whip

Post by Whip »

Reality Check wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:56 pm How did Christie stay out of prison on Bridgegate?
human shields I reckon
bob

Post by bob »

Whip wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:10 pm
human shields I reckon
AKA plausible deniability: Prosecutors appear to have concluded that they couldn't prove his intent beyond a reasonable doubt.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

From the NJ.com story mentioned above at https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/ ... 984823002/
Before he was sentenced, Baroni stood and addressed the court for about five minutes, expressing contrition and saying he had lost his focus. It was clearly an emotional and humbling moment for Baroni, as his voice choked and he struggled to hold back tears. “I always thought I had a clear sense of right and wrong,” he said, a copy of his prepared remarks shaking in his hand as he spoke. “When I went to work for the Port Authority and for Governor Christie, that line disappeared.”

Baroni said he had been "sucked into this cult and culture" of Chris Christie, who at the time was preparing to seek the Republican presidential nomination in 2016. "I wanted to be on the team," Baroni told the court as nearly 20 relatives and friends sat behind him. "I wanted to please him."

Before passing sentence, Wigenton praised Baroni for his volunteer work with gay homeless youth and with undocumented immigrants since his conviction in 2016. "I understand that you have done a lot of positive things," the judge said. "I don’t think you will stop doing that."

But Wigenton said that "the facts haven’t changed" in what happened on the streets of Fort Lee over four chaotic days in September 2013. The defeated, penitent persona that Baroni brought before Wigenton marked a dramatic change for him.
Many who dealt with him throught his "clear sense of right and wrong" line disappeared way before Port Authority.
Avatar: Young Joe Biden! The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:03 pm FTR, not a fan of fat-shaming, even for contemptible shits like CC.
I thought the same thing that Chilidog said. I have a BMI well above 30 and I consider it self deprecating humor to call out an equally fluffy individual. For example, I rank as a DAMN!!? on Gabriel Iglesias' fat scale and Ralphie May fat humor was hysterical. Not to say that shaming others is ever good, just a pragmatist that isn't bothered by what others may think.
bob

Post by bob »

The Telegraph [Bloomberg]: Ex-Christie aide gets Supreme Court hearing on bridge scandal:
The U.S. Supreme Court will decide whether two allies of former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie were improperly convicted for their roles in the George Washington Bridge lane-closing scandal, accepting a case that could make it harder to prosecute public officials for fraud.

The justices agreed to hear an appeal from Bridget Anne Kelly, who has been scheduled to start a 13-month prison term next month. The case will also affect Bill Baroni, who was convicted alongside Kelly and is serving an 18-month sentence.

The convictions stem from the 2013 "Bridgegate" scheme, which created crippling traffic jams to punish the mayor of Fort Lee, New Jersey, for failing to endorse Christie's re-election bid that year. A federal appeals court upheld Kelly's and Baroni's fraud convictions while tossing out other charges.

The Trump administration urged the Supreme Court not to hear the appeal. In court papers, the Justice Department said the scheme met the requirements of the federal fraud statutes because it forced the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the bridge, to pay thousands of dollars of overtime wages.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Kelly was sentenced in April to 13 months in prison for her part in the conspiracy, and is scheduled to report to a minimum-security camp for female inmates in West Virginia next month. Baroni, who joined Kelly in the Supreme Court appeal, is already serving his prison sentence at the Loretto Federal Correctional Institution in Pennsylvania.
https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/06/bre ... istie.html

Roundup of Christie memes: https://www.nj.com/politics/2018/01/we_ ... ke_it.html

Last Supper Christie

This is a brilliant bit of misdirection: In "The Last Supper," Leonardo Da Vinci shows the worry that besets the Twelve Disciples after Christ informs them that one of them will betray him.

We, the viewers, of course are in on the joke: In getting caught lying to the press that "I didn't get any sun today." the governor's has actually betrayed himself.
Avatar: Young Joe Biden! The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon returns 2021. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS[/b]
Whip

Post by Whip »

Orlylicious wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:37 pm
Kelly was sentenced in April to 13 months in prison for her part in the conspiracy, and is scheduled to report to a minimum-security camp for female inmates in West Virginia next month. Baroni, who joined Kelly in the Supreme Court appeal, is already serving his prison sentence at the Loretto Federal Correctional Institution in Pennsylvania.
https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/06/bre ... istie.html

Roundup of Christie memes: https://www.nj.com/politics/2018/01/we_ ... ke_it.html

Last Supper Christie

This is a brilliant bit of misdirection: In "The Last Supper," Leonardo Da Vinci shows the worry that besets the Twelve Disciples after Christ informs them that one of them will betray him.

We, the viewers, of course are in on the joke: In getting caught lying to the press that "I didn't get any sun today." the governor's has actually betrayed himself.
wonder why she's not doing her time right here in Edna Mahan.
Addie

Post by Addie »

Cross-posting
NPR - Nina Totenberg: When Is Abuse Of Power A Crime? Supreme Court Answer May Come In 'Bridgegate' Scandal
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
·
1m
BREAKING: A unanimous Supreme Court reverses the federal fraud convictions of former New Jersey officials Bridget Anne Kelly and Bill Baroni for their part in the 2013 "Bridgegate" scandal.

https://t.co/VAbYckjtUp?amp=1
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Pack that court.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Wouldnt have mattered. it was a unanimous decision.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.
AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Oops.

That means I'll go and read why.

Edited to add:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/0 ... ion-242344

I read an article about this on Politico. I understand the ruling, but I hate this:
But Kelly and Baroni made a much more succinct argument, claiming the government’s case sought to criminalize “routine” political behavior and that what they were convicted of doing — the ethics of the matter aside — “is a case of bare-knuckle New Jersey politics, not graft.”
I know New Jersey politics can get pretty dirty, but I don't like that just because something is dirty politics, it can't also be criminal.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Return to “General Politics”