Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Jose - From Africa via Leeward to Florida And ???

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Re: Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Jose - From Africa via Leeward to Florida???

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 pm

RVInit wrote:Even after all my hardships, I ended up OK. I am so sorry for people who are not safe right now, or who have lost everything, or lost anything. After I get everything settled, I will do what I can to help others.

I rented a car this morning, and I'm off to the grocery store to get a few things. I count myself fortunate. Very. Here is a photo of my RV parked among the trees with my little rental car behind it.

RVParkedSmall.png
I think all the Fogbowzers could fit in your RV for the next meet. It could be a traveling meet from one Fogbowzer site to the next. :-D
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
RVInit wrote:Even after all my hardships, I ended up OK. I am so sorry for people who are not safe right now, or who have lost everything, or lost anything. After I get everything settled, I will do what I can to help others.

I rented a car this morning, and I'm off to the grocery store to get a few things. I count myself fortunate. Very. Here is a photo of my RV parked among the trees with my little rental car behind it.

RVParkedSmall.png
I think all the Fogbowzers could fit in your RV for the next meet. It could be a traveling meet from one Fogbowzer site to the next. :-D
That would be fun. I can sleep quite a few. I'm game for it. I plan to have a tune-up and every single thing looked at. I should see who is nearby, maybe I'll stop by and say "hi". :lol: I'm just waiting on a couple of new batteries and I'm going to have them check the inverter, get a tune-up and have it washed and waxed. Other than that, she's good to go. Oh, a couple of minor things - 2 light switches and a new tube for my generator, the gas line got brittle and has a small crack, I saw a couple of small little drops come out.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

vic

Re: Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Jose - From Africa via Leeward to Florida

Post by vic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:28 pm

It sucks that the RV has had all this problems, but I'm glad to hear that they're all being taken care of.

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:45 pm

RVInit wrote:
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I think all the Fogbowzers could fit in your RV for the next meet. It could be a traveling meet from one Fogbowzer site to the next. :-D
That would be fun. I can sleep quite a few. I'm game for it.
Off Topic
An office friend of mine got a new sailboat. When asked how many it slept, he answered: "7 in comfort and 14 in ecstasy!" :mrgreen:

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:55 pm

RVParkedSmall.png
Sweet rig

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:22 pm

We're loving the hot CNN boys, we knew Anderson Cooper was jacked but so is John Berman. Woof! :P
Anderson.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:54 am

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution -
Irma may be in another state, but more than a half million people in Georgia are still in the dark and dozens of schools are closed for another day.

More than 580,000 people were without power early Wednesday, down from a peak of 1.5 million during the height of the storm. Nearly 350,000 of those waiting on service to be restored are Georgia Power customers. The rest are in the state’s electrical membership cooperatives.

And while Cobb County and Marietta City schools reopened, school closings remained in effect for Atlanta Public Schools and Clayton, DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett and Henry counties.

Widespread outages and storm damage also prompted colleges such as Georgia Piedmont Technical College to cancel all activities and keep all campuses closed until Thursday.
More at the link including stories of other counties throughout the state affected by Irma.

I hadn't given much thought to Georgia until this morning when I talked to my sister who lives in Atlanta. She commented about all the Floridians staying with friends and relatives in Atlanta. With all the trees in Atlanta, combined with the wind and rain, created major power outages. Besides schools, a lot of businesses were closed too.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:38 pm

I had an appointment today with my hair dresser. She, her husband, and four-year-old daughter were in Orlando last week. They had a scheduled flight out at 7 PM Saturday night, but the airport closed at 5. They were lucky to get a rental car and drove nineteen hours to get home. She's three months pregnant so it was not a fun trip, but they are very thankful to have gotten out when they did.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:11 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurri ... d_nn_fb_ma
Police are investigating what led to the deaths of eight people who were found inside a sweltering hot Florida nursing home left powerless by Hurricane Irma.

Authorities were called to the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills early Wednesday where they found a scene so horrific, a hospital just down the street from the nursing home declared it a mass casualty incident.

Three people were found already dead inside the facility, Hollywood Police Chief Tomas Sanchez said at a Wednesday morning news conference in which he announced six people had died in total. Officials later revised the number of dead to eight.

The Broward County medical examiner identified the victims as: Bobby Owens, 84; Manuel Mario Medieta, 96; Miguel Antonio Franco, 92; Estella Hendricks, 71; Gail Nova, 71; Carolyn Eatherly, 78; Betty Hibbard, 84; and Albertina Vega, 99. An official cause of death was not given, although the deaths were believed to be heat-related.
No link yet, but the son of one of the victims is speaking with Anderson Cooper. If I understand him correctly, someone from the media informed him prior to a call from the nursing home.

Wasn't 45 trying to get something passed so that victims of elder abuse (assuming that's the case here), that couldn't sue and was forced into arbitration?

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

Will Teh Donald take the time to visit this nursing home?
Trump to visit Florida on Thursday after Hurricane Irma
By ADAM KELSEY Sep 12, 2017, 4:16 PM ET

President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and their respective spouses are expected to travel to Florida on Thursday after Hurricane Irma swept through the state this weekend, resulting in deaths of at least 12 people in the United States.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed the president's trip at Tuesday's press briefing. She added that Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Brock Long was visiting affected areas Tuesday.

Melania Trump's communications director Stephanie Grisham tweeted shortly after that the First Lady would be joining her husband, and later in the day Pence's press secretary Marc Lotter said that the vice president and second lady Karen Pence would also travel to Florida.

The trip will be Trump's third related to hurricane response in just over two weeks. He visited Texas on Aug. 29 during which he received briefings from local officials but was later criticized for not meeting with victims.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-vi ... d=49799166

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:42 am

Kendra wrote:https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurri ... d_nn_fb_ma
:snippity:
Wasn't 45 trying to get something passed so that victims of elder abuse (assuming that's the case here), that couldn't sue and was forced into arbitration?
Yes. Yes, he did.

More than a decade ago, my job gave me the right to enter long term care facilities without notice, interview people, and pull the files. It was horrible. Even when people died horrifically from neglect, their families refused to take any actions. They said it was blessing because their family members were dying anyway. Despite burst intestines, despite rotting flesh, despite other horrors, they did nothing, leaving surviving patients at risk. So my reports were filed away.

It's not just the low income facilities, although active & involved families with money do reduce the volume of horror.

I won't say more about what I saw. I'll just say that I now support assisted suicide and have had a heart to heart discussion with my adult child about the choice I intend to make if certain situations arise.

But yeah! Let's make a legal remedy even more difficult to obtain!
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 pm

NHC now showing that Jose will become a hurricane again and possibly affect Long Island a week from now. :?
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Will the Fogmeister be affected on this path as well? He sorta felt left out earlier when Irma ignored him for Georgia.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:34 pm

Oh, no rush. I'm waiting for Hurricane MAGA. :blink:
If dogs run free, why not we?

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Foggy wrote:Oh, no rush. I'm waiting for Hurricane MAGA. :blink:
Our dear patient leader! What an example he is to us all. :lovestruck:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:44 pm

It stands for Mother of All G-something A-something. I'll work on it in the car when I go get my son from school. :doh:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 pm

Grifting assholes?
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 am

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MI ... 0858.shtml?
Swells generated by Jose are affecting Bermuda, the Bahamas, the
northern coasts of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico, and the southeast
coast of the United States, and will spread northward along the
mid-Atlantic coast of the U.S. during the next few days. These
swells are likely to cause dangerous surf and rip current
conditions.

Jose could produce other direct impacts next week along portions
of the east coast of the United States from North Carolina northward
to New England, but it is too soon to determine what those impacts
might be or where they could occur
. Interests along U.S. east coast
from North Carolina northward to New England should monitor the
progress of Jose during the next several days.
So, stay away from the beach and await further developments. :?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:49 am

We're gonna get some good surf, but not much else. :thumbs:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:52 am

Meanwhile, over near Africa, Tropical Depression 14 is about to become TS Lee.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:31 am

:panic:

Hurricane Jose Forecast Cone Now Includes Long Island

https://patch.com/new-york/riverhead/s/ ... ontent=aol

With Long Island now in the storm's forecast cone (historical data indicates that the entire 5-day path of the center of a tropical cyclone will remain within the cone about 60-70 percent of the time), the odds of direct impacts from Jose are rising. There's now a 10-20 percent chance of tropical storm-force winds, meaning 39 mph or more, in Nassau County and a 20-30 percent chance in Suffolk County. The "earliest reasonable arrival time" of tropical storm-force winds on the island is around 8 p.m. Monday.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:49 am

Dear Volky,
I love you, but in the interest of preventing damage, destruction and disaster, I must rescind my open invitation for you to visit.

I'm sure you understand.

Sincerely,
Safe-so-far Sugar

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:36 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:Dear Volky,
I love you, but in the interest of preventing damage, destruction and disaster, I must rescind my open invitation for you to visit.

I'm sure you understand.

Sincerely,
Safe-so-far Sugar
:lol: In fairness to me I was not in Florida when Irma hit. ;)

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:55 am

Yeah, but Mrs. V. is currently not in residence. What kind of cosmic influence does she have? Has she been hinting that you Long Island home's kitchen needs remodeling?

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Hey, the center of that cone is on top of my condo! :shock:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “Current Events”