Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Jose - From Africa via Leeward to Florida And ???

Foggy

Re: Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Jose - From Africa via Leeward to Florida???

Post by Foggy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 am

Looks like José is kinda lost, wandering around a bit. The meaty urologists are saying Irma's winds will break José up some.
If dogs run free, why not we?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:57 am

SW FL about to be hit. Shifting East currently. Landfall later this afternoon. Emergency responders about to suspend operations for the duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_egSTyWb1gk
¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:21 pm

Been binge watching CNN and others. Those reporters are fearless, but isn't it time to pull them back in to safety?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:28 pm

Re the roosters being evacuated and which one was Foggy - the best looking one, of course!
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:39 pm

It's Marco Island :-(
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:

Whip

Post by Whip » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:52 pm

Kendra wrote:Been binge watching CNN and others. Those reporters are fearless, but isn't it time to pull them back in to safety?
but that doesn't add to the drama. I'm waiting for the day one of these dopes get killed and is hailed a hero for reporting during a storm. they aren't showing us anything we haven't seen before so it's worthless to begin with. Weather channel is pissed it drop from cat 5 to cat 4. they can't go over the top down though they are trying their hardest.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Whip wrote:
Kendra wrote:Been binge watching CNN and others. Those reporters are fearless, but isn't it time to pull them back in to safety?
but that doesn't add to the drama. I'm waiting for the day one of these dopes get killed and is hailed a hero for reporting during a storm. they aren't showing us anything we haven't seen before so it's worthless to begin with. Weather channel is pissed it drop from cat 5 to cat 4. they can't go over the top down though they are trying their hardest.
I can't believe they're still out there. Just have to out-do the competition. Sigh.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:17 pm

I've been seeing a lot of comments from people on facebook about bringing the news people back inside, but none of the comments are from people who are directly affected. They are more grateful to have the outside shots to better be able to gauge exactly what's going on. For many of them, they are watching from a distance and worrying about their homes. The visuals you get from seeing how far the trees are bending and what the current flying debris is, gives a better idea of what's going on than just hearing numbers and wind speeds and surge levels. Newscasters and weather people are professionals, and standing out there giving information is their job. They know that when they take on an assignment. We don't ask fire fighters to stay out of a building because it's on fire, or a cop to wait for the shooting to be over before approaching a bad guy.

It may look silly to some of you for them to be out there, but to others, it's valuable information. We were grateful for every minute of coverage during Katrina.

p.s. This is not directed at anyone in particular. I've just been seeing so much of it on fb that it's sort of getting to me.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:28 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/10/us/florid ... index.html
Brad Whitworth of Texas is riding the storm out in Tavernier, Florida, just south of Key Largo. He told CNN he has homes there and in Houston, which was hit by heavy flooding from Hurricane Harvey two weeks ago.
:shock:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 pm

A huge airborne relief mission is en route to the Keys to help people impacted by the tragic devastation caused when the eye of Hurricane Irma blasted through the Lower Florida Keys at daybreak Sunday morning.

Monroe County Emergency Management Director Martin Senterfitt called the destruction caused by Irma, a massive Category 4 storm when it impacted the Keys, a “humanitarian crisis.”

Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams,” he told the conference call.
http://www.flkeysnews.com/news/local/ar ... 52857.html

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:36 pm

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/906920227614724097

The most recent surge report from Naples is at -4.4'.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:15 pm

I was watching the tide gauges, but the NOAA server seems to have gone west..
Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:24 pm

http://thehill.com/homenews/350011-whit ... irma-video
White House social media director Dan Scavino Jr. shared and then deleted an inaccurate video he claimed was of Hurricane Irma on Sunday, as the storm continues to carry whipping winds and surging storms across the state of Florida.

“Sharing [Hurricane Irma] on social media with [President Trump] and [Vice President Pence] hourly. Here is Miami International Airport. STAY SAFE!!” he tweeted.

Scavino later deleted the tweet from his account after Miami International Airport commented that the video was not of Hurricane Irma hitting Miami International Airport.

tek

Post by tek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:52 pm

just heard on ABC:
These dead coconuts are like big rocks, and they are just falling out of the palm trees!
sigh..
Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Among the services coming to the Keys are “disaster mortuary teams,” he told the conference call.
Which, while morbid and horrifying, is desperately important. Dead bodies are some of the most dangerous disease generators after things like this hit, they need to be gathered pronto.
Kendra wrote:
“Sharing [Hurricane Irma] on social media with [President Trump] and [Vice President Pence] hourly.
Because giving Lord Lard an actual detailed report on the phone, on a couple of pages, or face to face is too mich of an inconvenience to his big brain,
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:04 pm

On the subject of Reporters out there, I remember during Sandy there was a FOX reporter in New York that was covered in this yellow froth as he reported out in the wind, that turned out to be stuff blown out from a sewage plant.
"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Just heard a story on NPR where someone mentioned this bit of unpleasantness that hadn't yet occurred to me...

Once the storm clears the roads back into FL will be clogged again, with people struggling to get back home. This will make it more difficult for trucks to deliver the badly needed gas to stations.

:(
Am I being detained?

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Associated Press
Hurricane Irma tops Havana's seawall, floods capital as Cuba sustains direct blow

Powerful waves and a storm surge from Hurricane Irma topped Havana's iconic Malecon seawall and left thousands of homes, businesses and hotels swamped Sunday, even as the storm moved away from the island.

There were no immediate reports of fatalities in Cuba, where the government prides itself on disaster preparedness and said it had carried out evacuations totaling more than 1 million people.

Authorities warned that the floodwaters could linger for more than a day, and there was as-yet uncalculated damage to sugar cane and banana fields in central Cuba and to northern cays studded with all-inclusive resorts, potentially dealing a major blow to the country's key tourism industry.

The powerful storm ripped roofs off homes, collapsed buildings and caused floods along hundreds of miles of coastline after cutting a trail of destruction across the Caribbean. Irma has killed at least 24 people in the region, leaving officials scrambling to bring aid to shattered communities.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:14 am

NotaPerson wrote:Just heard a story on NPR where someone mentioned this bit of unpleasantness that hadn't yet occurred to me...

Once the storm clears the roads back into FL will be clogged again, with people struggling to get back home. This will make it more difficult for trucks to deliver the badly needed gas to stations.

Typically, traffic into the area is tightly restricted for several days (sometimes until X% of power is restored) to only necessary personnel or residents or whatever. Emergency, rescue, military, provisions, that sort of thing are usually allowed in before residents.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 am

Regarding the earlier discussion of sign language interpreters, apparently not everyone was using a fluent interpreter. Bradenton used a local lifeguard, and apparently, his interpreting was pretty much incoherent:

http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/art ... 87316.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:50 am

'It's All Gone.' Florida Residents Return to Destruction After Irma

http://time.com/4936605/hurricane-irma- ... picks=true
Bush, 50, works as a security guard at a sports and music venue in Orlando, and only gets paid when she works. Concerts and shows were canceled in the days leading up to the storm, and she's not sure when she'll be able to get back to work.

As the storm closed in, she spent the last $10 she had on food and water. Now she has nothing left but the red sweatsuit she escaped in. Even her shoes were ruined by the water and muck.

"How are we gonna survive from here?" she said. "What's going to happen now? I just don't know."
There will be many stories like this. :(
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:22 pm

And most of them we'll never hear.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Kendall area of Miami has power now after having none since last Friday. My "sources" just sent me a text.
Vím o prasatech hodně zajímavých věcí.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Even after all my hardships, I ended up OK. I am so sorry for people who are not safe right now, or who have lost everything, or lost anything. After I get everything settled, I will do what I can to help others.

I rented a car this morning, and I'm off to the grocery store to get a few things. I count myself fortunate. Very. Here is a photo of my RV parked among the trees with my little rental car behind it.
RVParkedSmall.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Return to “Current Events”