Hurricane Harvey - Category 4 Hurricane in Texas, Louisiana

Gregg

Re: Hurricane Harvey - Category 4 Hurricane in Texas, Louisiana

Post by Gregg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:22 am

They ought to send him a bill to repaint the wall, like a they do when you trash a hotel room.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 am

The dumbest people in this election were those who voted for Trump because he was.not she.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Somerset
Occupation: I take apart ICs, touchscreens & camera modules and figure out why they don't work.

Post by Somerset » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:22 am

Gregg wrote:George W. Bush, for all his faults, was capable of looking and perhaps even being genuinely kind and gracious. If nothing else he learned proper manners and humility at Yale. He definitely had a good combination of old money manners and decent Christian values. Unlike a lot of the Evangelical movement I always thought he honestly was true to charitable intentions and his religion, even if I'm not a believer in what that religion holds. (its harder for me to admit a Yalie has any good qualities than it is for most of you to admit a Republican has any :-D )
LSE will do that to a chap, I hear ;)

(I dated a woman who also had a Masters from LSE. She's now an economist at the Monetary Authority of Singapore, after having been a currency strategist at RBS and an analyst for Nikkei. Scary smart).

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:00 am

In Baytown ripping out sheet rock and towing things away. Many stories when I get a chance.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:02 am

Good luck with all that. It must be really tough.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:09 am

Are there alternatives for Sheetrock? Musing about building a small house. :think: Would be nice to be prepared for flood rehab.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:08 pm

Whatever4 wrote:Are there alternatives for Sheetrock? Musing about building a small house. :think: Would be nice to be prepared for flood rehab.
http://askforpurple.com/products/

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:24 pm

Heard from a friend that there are over one million flooded out vehicles in Houston, and that they have run out of room and the auto track in Baytown has been opened as an adjunct auto junkyard.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I never repeat myself. I never repeat myself. Trump 2/25/16

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Volkonski wrote:In Baytown ripping out sheet rock and towing things away. Many stories when I get a chance.
Be careful about back injury, rotator cuff tearing, knee twisting, and water moccasins.
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 pm

TexasFilly wrote:Heard from a friend that there are over one million flooded out vehicles in Houston, and that they have run out of room and the auto track in Baytown has been opened as an adjunct auto junkyard.
Teh Donald will claim it was his achievement when the auto industry takes a temporary spike in the balance sheets due to the replacenent production... :(

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 am

Independent
Hurricane Harvey: Mexican volunteers cross Texas border to bring aid to victims of Houston flooding

Mexico has come to the aid of the United States following Hurricane Harvey, sending Red Cross volunteers, food and supplies to a country whose President has proposed building a wall to keep the two neighbours apart.

Mexican volunteers wearing white vests labelled “Cruz Roja Mexicana” are distributing food and lending a sympathetic ear to some of the 1,800 storm refugees at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, Texas, a temporary shelter.

A caravan of Mexican storm relief was due to be shipped north for victims of a storm that has killed some 60 people and left tens of thousands homeless since first coming ashore 25 August.

“We all know that there are some agreements and disagreements between governments, but for the Mexican Red Cross and the volunteers from the Mexican Red Cross, we are more than glad to be helpful and do some stuff to help people,” said Gustavo Santillan, one of the Mexican Red Cross volunteers.
¡Qué vergüenza!

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am

TexasFilly wrote:Heard from a friend that there are over one million flooded out vehicles in Houston, and that they have run out of room and the auto track in Baytown has been opened as an adjunct auto junkyard.
They'll be dried out and on El Paso used car lots in 6 months.
I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am

GreatGrey wrote:
They'll be dried out and on El Paso used car lots in 6 months.
Increasing the work for car mechanics throughout the United States.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:19 am

Addie wrote:Independent
Hurricane Harvey: Mexican volunteers cross Texas border to bring aid to victims of Houston flooding

They're sending us their best, Donald. :blink:
♪ ♫ I'll stop the world and melt with you! ♫ ♪

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:17 pm

Addie wrote:Independent

Mexico has come to the aid of the United States following Hurricane Harvey, sending Red Cross volunteers, food and supplies to a country whose President has proposed building a wall to keep the two neighbours apart.
I cried when I read this. I am feeling overwhelmed today, what with Harvey, Irma mowing down all in her path through the Caribbean (& finding out today that friends in the Orlando area are NOT leaving - he is one of my best friends from UF geology grad school), DACA, & so many other heartbreaking messes that just this bit of kindness from a country being denigrated at the highest levels of our government pushed me right over the edge into an ugly cry. I suspect I needed that. :crying:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Aw, HilltownGrrl :bighug:
¡Qué vergüenza!

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 pm

Thanks, Addie, it's been one wild year, hasn't it.
Off Topic
On the bright side, I signed up to volunteer with our local Habitat for Humanity & have my volunteer orientation tonight. I realized recently that I needed to do something real/hands-on to help people, something positive that gets me away from the news. Besides, I'm younger, though maybe not spryer*, than Jimmy Carter & if he can do this, then I damn well can, too. Theoretically, at least.

*very bad left knee which has no lateral meniscus + 40 years of wear & tear on said knee after meniscus was removed. My lower leg,per my doctor a couple of weeks ago, "no longer hangs straight in relation to the upper leg" :shock: Yes, I have a referral to an orthopedist.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:15 am

Here's a list of the 17 Senators who voted against Harvey Relief Funding:
Republican senators were the only ones to vote against a measure to advance a bill that would provide emergency relief funding to the victims of Hurricane Harvey and temporarily raise the debt ceiling and fund the government through mid-December.

The 17 senators include: Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee, Deb Fischer of Nebraska, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Jerry Moran of Kansas, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Steve Daines of Montana, Jeff Flake of Arizona, James Lankford of Oklahoma, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Michael Enzi of Wyoming, Lindsay Graham of South Carolina, Mike Lee of Utah, James Risch of Idaho, Joni Ernst of Iowa, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, John McCain of Arizona and Ben Sasse of Nebraska.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/07/here- ... ling-bill/

No doubt most of them will say it's the debt ceiling they objected to, but just like the rest of the country remembers the assholes in Texas who voted against Sandy relief, remember these names. As I've said before $7.9 billion is a drop in the bucket, but it's better than nothing, which is what Lindsey Graham et al. would prefer.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:36 am

TexasFilly wrote:Here's a list of the 17 Senators who voted against Harvey Relief Funding:
Republican senators were the only ones to vote against a measure to advance a bill that would provide emergency relief funding to the victims of Hurricane Harvey and temporarily raise the debt ceiling and fund the government through mid-December.

The 17 senators include: Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee, Deb Fischer of Nebraska, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Jerry Moran of Kansas, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Steve Daines of Montana, Jeff Flake of Arizona, James Lankford of Oklahoma, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Michael Enzi of Wyoming, Lindsay Graham of South Carolina, Mike Lee of Utah, James Risch of Idaho, Joni Ernst of Iowa, Chuck Grassley of Iowa, John McCain of Arizona and Ben Sasse of Nebraska.
http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/07/here- ... ling-bill/

No doubt most of them will say it's the debt ceiling they objected to, but just like the rest of the country remembers the assholes in Texas who voted against Sandy relief, remember these names. As I've said before $7.9 billion is a drop in the bucket, but it's better than nothing, which is what Lindsey Graham et al. would prefer.
Absolutely disgusting.

On the upside, seismic activity has increased around Yellowstone, leading to fears that the "big one" isn't far away, so let's see how Daines, Enzi, Risch, and Lee feel about it when their states need a bail-out. (If the big one and would be devastated by an earthquake.)

Also, John McCain? For shame.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 am

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 am

I read an op-ed the other day, I believe in the Washington Post, by two tax lawyers (at least one of whom is a professor at Duke). Their idea was that because Texas has no state income tax, the Harvey relief should be a loan that taxpayers of Texas should have to repay. Nothing like ex post facto strings being imposed in the middle of a disaster. They implied that because Texas does not spend what they believe is needed in infrastructure, the massive flooding was a result of Texans paying low state taxes. I know of no infrastructure that could handle/anticipate 50 inches of rain in low lying areas. They also glossed over the high sales tax (we pay 8.25 percent) in Texas, which puts a major squeeze on the poor. Since NY pays really high state taxes, I guess the Sandy relief money should have been a loan too. Also.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:38 am

TexasFilly wrote:
I read an op-ed the other day, I believe in the Washington Post, by two tax lawyers (at least one of whom is a professor at Duke). Their idea was that because Texas has no state income tax, the Harvey relief should be a loan that taxpayers of Texas should have to repay. Nothing like ex post facto strings being imposed in the middle of a disaster. They implied that because Texas does not spend what they believe is needed in infrastructure, the massive flooding was a result of Texans paying low state taxes. I know of no infrastructure that could handle/anticipate 50 inches of rain in low lying areas. They also glossed over the high sales tax (we pay 8.25 percent) in Texas, which puts a major squeeze on the poor. Since NY pays really high state taxes, I guess the Sandy relief money should have been a loan too. Also.
Yeah, that's just ridiculous. A lot of states base their tax rates on things that are unique to that state. There's no sales tax in Delaware, presumably because they make enough money by being the go-to state for incorporation. I grew up in Tennessee, and for all the time I was on active duty in the military it was my home of record. We paid no state income tax, because Tennessee is pretty much the "flag of convenience" of interstate trucking. I'm sure Texas has the same sort of thing (I just don't happen to know what it is). But I say, any state that can get enough income from an out-of-state source that is not a drain on the states resources, and as a result can allow its own citizens to keep some of their hard-earned money in their pockets, is doing a good job.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 am

Yeah, it's totally Texas's fault it got hit by a hurricane. If they'd only configured a different tax system, this whole thing could've been avoided. Oregon doesn't have sales tax, but it has income tax. As a result, nothing bad ever happens there.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:01 am

I'm starting to REALLY believe in Karma or gawd or something with the hurricanes and fires and earthquakes and such. :eek2:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:I'm starting to REALLY believe in Karma or gawd or something with the hurricanes and fires and earthquakes and such. :eek2:
Yeah - some deity got angry cause TX voted 52% for Teh Donald and gave him bigly electoral college votes... :twisted:

Return to “Current Events”