Hurricane Harvey - Category 4 Hurricane in Texas, Louisiana

Volkonski

Re: Hurricane Harvey - Category 4 Hurricane in Texas, Louisiana

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:49 am

Did not have this problem in Baytown. The school superintendent's house flooded. ;) School has already been cancelled thru the coming week. The water park that normally closes when school starts will be kept open. :)

Spring Branch ISD recalls start date, still undecided

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/memor ... 167680.php
There will be no classes from Sept. 4 through Sept. 8, according to a release sent Friday. Officials say they expect to announce a new start date sometime next week, it is undecided at this time.

"Last night, we made a school reopening decision based on the information that was available to us at the time and believing that opening our schools as soon as possible was in our students' and families' best interests," said Dr. Scott Muri, superintendent of schools at Spring Branch ISD in the release. "

"Based on information and feedback we received overnight and this morning from families and staff who remain displaced and unsure of their next steps, and continually changing conditions, we have determined that it is best for all SBISD schools and facilities to remain closed all next week."
:snippity:
"We sincerely apologize for any added anxiety, concern and stress we have caused over the last many hours. Our highest priority is always the safety and wellbeing of our families and staff, and this time our decision yielded unintended consequences to the contrary," said Muri.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:58 am

Volkonski wrote:Did not have this problem in Baytown. The school superintendent's house flooded. ;) School has already been cancelled thru the coming week. The water park that normally closes when school starts will be kept open. :)
:snippity:
Who needs a water park when you have the whole Houston metropolian area to play in.... :shock:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:06 am

Chilidog wrote:
Volkonski wrote:Uh oh. Mrs. V. Is making noises about as long as we have to have work done this would be a good time to redo the kitchen. :?
You have to anyway.

the appliances are toast. stove, dishwasher refrigerator, all need to be replaced.

The base cabinets have to go. Not only will they warp, but you need to demo all the drywall behind them. and if you get rid of the base cabinets, you have to replace the top ones as well to have a matching set.

if the floor is ceramic tile, it should be OK, anything else. . . replace it.

I rebuilt my mother-in-law's kitchen after she got flooded out.
Who needs those fancy schmancy modern appliances? We'll cook over an open fire and wash the dishes in the bayou. ;)

Actually we have wall mounted ovens and a stove top in the counter that will not have gotten wet and can be reused.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:22 am

Not going to be enough.
8:10 p.m. President Donald Trump requests $7.9 billion for Harvey recovery 

President Donald Trump has apparently sent lawmakers a request for $7.9 billion to help in Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts, according to the Associated Press.

President Trump is set to visit Houston on Saturday and has plans to speak with Mayor Sylvester Turner. 

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:31 am

You might try cinnamon around the entry points, particularly the doors, although for things like the cable entries I'd either get some of the nasty yellow spray foam sealant or a good sized tube of liquid silicon and squirt that in to any visible holes til they were full and coming back out. I used cinnamon to get rid of the horde of black ants I was getting in the pantry for some reason, they didn't like it and left and never came back. Perfectly harmless to everything else and smells nice.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:46 am

Exxon Mobil helping in water restoration efforts

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/ ... 163451.php
Exxon Mobil and two other companies on Friday rigged a temporary pump from the Neches River to the city of Beaumont's water system, restoring water ranging from a drip to a flow to residents' faucets, though officials cautioned that the city's water crisis is far from over.

When the city lost its water pumps shortly after midnight Thursday because of rapid flooding from Tropical Storm Harvey, Exxon Mobil engineers volunteered to help evaluate possibilities. Working with two engineering companies, Echo and Tiger Industrial, they were able to get some water flowing again early Friday.

Officials cautioned that the fix is temporary and limited.

"It's OK to flush and bathe with, but we're asking people to refrain from trying to fill up big containers," said Mayor Becky Ames. "It helps build pressure."

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 am

Storm deaths: Death toll from Harvey tops 50

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weath ... 159139.php
Andrew Pasek, 25, died Tuesday after stepping on live electrical wires in floodwaters in northwest Harris County, according to the medical examiner report. His family said he died in the Bear Creek Village subdivision while trying to rescue his sister's cat from the house she had evacuated.
:(

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 am

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weath ... 167660.php
Abbott said the Neches River in the Beaumont area, now at a record seven feet above flood stage, will likely continue at that level for the next week, hampering initial damage assessments and recovery efforts.

In the Houston area, he saidnew forecasts show the Brazos River will remain at its record levels for up to a week, and could require additional evacuations of areas near Richmond.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:02 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:You might try cinnamon around the entry points, particularly the doors, although for things like the cable entries I'd either get some of the nasty yellow spray foam sealant or a good sized tube of liquid silicon and squirt that in to any visible holes til they were full and coming back out. I used cinnamon to get rid of the horde of black ants I was getting in the pantry for some reason, they didn't like it and left and never came back. Perfectly harmless to everything else and smells nice.
I wonder if cinnamon is caustic to them.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:You might try cinnamon around the entry points, particularly the doors, although for things like the cable entries I'd either get some of the nasty yellow spray foam sealant or a good sized tube of liquid silicon and squirt that in to any visible holes til they were full and coming back out. I used cinnamon to get rid of the horde of black ants I was getting in the pantry for some reason, they didn't like it and left and never came back. Perfectly harmless to everything else and smells nice.
I don't know, just know it works, could well be poisonous, just as marigold is deadly to most insects.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:12 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
pipistrelle wrote:
I don't know, just know it works, could well be poisonous, just as marigold is deadly to most insects.
I wondered because a little cinnamon is good; a lot burns. Here's an explanation, although they say use oil, not ground. Disrupts scent trails and burns.

https://www.hunker.com/12131814/how-to- ... h-cinnamon

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:10 am

At the airport about to go home the long way around. LI to Orlando and then on to San Antonio by plane then by car to Baytown. One of our friends reports that the I 10 San Jacinto bridge is now open. :thumbs: That will save me a significant detour.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:13 am

Be careful, Volki. I know you will, but ... We lurves ya :grouphug:
¡Qué vergüenza!

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:42 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Texas official turns down Canada's offer of supplies and manpower to restore electricity, asks for prayers instead
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3461373
Fuck these people. Fuck all of them. They're too ignorant to recognize an answered prayer when they see one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Dj0nUT8brI
I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:00 am

Volkonski wrote:
Who needs those fancy schmancy modern appliances? We'll cook over an open fire and wash the dishes in the bayou. ;)

Actually we have wall mounted ovens and a stove top in the counter that will not have gotten wet and can be reused.
If the top cabinets are intact, salvage them and hang them out in the garage.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:05 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-49580489
The White House is still trying to decide who will get President Donald Trump's pledged $1 million donation for Harvey storm relief efforts, one of the largest gifts ever given by a president but one that has evoked his checkered charitable past.

The president plans to make the donation, which is expected to come from his personal fortune, early next week, and it may be split among several groups doing relief work in storm-ravaged areas of Texas and Louisiana. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Friday that the president hasn't finalized where the money will go, raising some concern that charitable groups may end up competing for the money.

For the second straight day, Sanders invited reporters to make recommendations for which groups should get the money.

"If you have suggestions, he is very open to hearing those," Sanders said.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 am

‘Helping is a total no-brainer.’ Houston-area mosques open their doors as shelters
STAFFORD, Tex. — As the murky floodwaters of Hurricane Harvey kept rising, a vast mosque here — like several others across the state — opened its doors to Americans of all faiths. It offered a dry place to sleep, diaper-changing stations, endless coffee and sweet tea, and warm trays of Pakistani and Syrian rice dishes.

There are an estimated 250,000 Muslims who live across the Houston area, one of the most diverse cities in the country. Their mosques and charitable organizations were some of the first to open their doors during the disaster to offer supplies and shelter to their neighbors.

“Look, helping is a total no-brainer. You don’t even have to discuss or debate it,” said M.J. Khan, president of the Islamic Society of Greater Houston, who started to load up on fans, towels and bedding last weekend as the rains began to fall. “It’s part of our faith and part of being human. I always feel that this is why God created human beings, for us to help each other.”

Muslim families on Friday were celebrating the Eid al-Adha festival, one of Islam’s holiest days, coinciding with the hajj, or pilgrimage, to the Islamic holy city of Mecca. Part of the holiday’s mission is giving to the poor, and Muslims traditionally slaughter livestock and offer the meat to those less fortunate.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... de3f922a1f
Birfers are toast

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Volkonski wrote:Not going to be enough.
8:10 p.m. President Donald Trump requests $7.9 billion for Harvey recovery 

President Donald Trump has apparently sent lawmakers a request for $7.9 billion to help in Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts, according to the Associated Press.

President Trump is set to visit Houston on Saturday and has plans to speak with Mayor Sylvester Turner. 
:twisted: Picking up on a theme in this thread, maybe pouring cinnamon around the airport will contain the vermin :think: :o

NADT

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Kendra wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-49580489
For the second straight day, Sanders invited reporters to make recommendations for which groups should get the money.

Sooooooo happy the reporters aren't playing that game. :lol: :mrgreen:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:42 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Kendra wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStor ... d-49580489

Sooooooo happy the reporters aren't playing that game. :lol: :mrgreen:
An intern could probably find and vet a dozen in minutes. But gosh golly he just doesn't know.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

I really wish the media hadn't been so quick to jump on Trump for his visit to Texas. Wouldn't it have been much better to have kept their mouths shut and waited until it was too late for Trump to get his people busy organizing a love fest. Don't they realize Saturday is going to be all about a big media bit that give Trump an opportunity to meet with pre-selected victims? This will be another media win for Trump.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:01 pm

$7.9 billion? Drop. In. The. Bucket. The WH claims this will be parsed out in "stages" so double it to $15.8 billion. Drop. In. The. Bucket.

Prediction: Trump will not donate personal money to any charity. David Farenthold, I am sure, will be tracking any donations (most likely from Trump Foundation (OPM) if at all).
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Volkonski wrote:Storm deaths: Death toll from Harvey tops 50

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-weath ... 159139.php
Andrew Pasek, 25, died Tuesday after stepping on live electrical wires in floodwaters in northwest Harris County, according to the medical examiner report. His family said he died in the Bear Creek Village subdivision while trying to rescue his sister's cat from the house she had evacuated.
:(
That is heartbreaking.

A bit macabre, but Mr. Filly estimated 50-75 people dead as a result of Harvey. I am beside myself that he was correct. Hopefully, it will remain on the low end.

I haven't seen much reporting on the psychological impact Harvey will have on folks for years to come. I have friends who are feeling guilty that their homes didn't flood and they remained comfortable with food and electricity. Most of them dealing with that guilt by donating goods and money. Survivor guilt is strong. And the trauma that flood victims suffered is just beginning. This is going to turn to anger very soon. :cry:
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm

TexasFilly wrote:A bit macabre, but Mr. Filly estimated 50-75 people dead as a result of Harvey. I am beside myself that he was correct. Hopefully, it will remain on the low end.

I haven't seen much reporting on the psychological impact Harvey will have on folks for years to come. I have friends who are feeling guilty that their homes didn't flood and they remained comfortable with food and electricity. Most of them dealing with that guilt by donating goods and money. Survivor guilt is strong. And the trauma that flood victims suffered is just beginning. This is going to turn to anger very soon. :cry:
I don't know if this is coming from victims, but anger is already surfacing with articles about "weather terrorists." That's right.

Return to “Current Events”