Hurricane Harvey - Category 4 Hurricane in Texas, Louisiana

SLQ

Re: Hurricane Harvey - Category 4 Hurricane in Texas, Louisiana

Post by SLQ » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:58 pm

To all:

Lawline is offering two free webcast CLEs on disaster relief and benefits, which are supposedly approved in a number of states. The CLEs were created after Sandy. (I don't know anything about lawline, but I signed up for the two free CLEs. The webcast host essentially reads off the slides, but she does add a little bit of info. But hey, they're free. http://www.lawline.com)

To Volski and anyone else affected by the storm or who has friends or relatives affected by the storm: There is some good information, and there are some warnings about SBA loans (which are available to residential homeowners as well as small businesses, but must be repaid) reducing other benefits (such as grants, which don't have to be repaid). If you want a copy of the slides, send me a PM.

Edit: to add others.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Mikedunford wrote:We're being assured that there is no gas shortage right now, and that we should not take the many, many gas stations in San Antonio that are currently out of fuel as evidence of a shortage.
When people panic and many of them top off their tanks in a short time it creates an artifical shortage.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:04 pm

Mikedunford wrote:We're being assured that there is no gas shortage right now, and that we should not take the many, many gas stations in San Antonio that are currently out of fuel as evidence of a shortage.
Maybe go into the Hill Country. It is rural and always worth seeing.

Snakes abound.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:10 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Maybe go into the Hill Country. It is rural and always worth seeing.

Snakes abound.
With half a tank currently remaining, I think we'll sit tight for the weekend and hope that the supplies are catching back up with demand by Monday.
1 Cranch 137, 177

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Kendra wrote: Your mileage may vary, but cinnamon freaks the little suckers out, and doesn't bother the kitties. Power, or a few sticks in a corner or two, can't hurt anything. I couple of times when they were all over something on the kitchen floor I poured the powder on them and they were toast. Borax works good too.
I'm willing to try anything. Sprout fortified our back door, which used to be their main entryway, with a table salt wall and they didn't come in that way even once.

The spray has the added benefit of keeping my floor sparkly clean. I'd probably go ass over teakettle slipping on cinnamon. Wouldn't that be fun to explain to the ER docs? :lol:
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm

kate520 wrote:
Kendra wrote: Your mileage may vary, but cinnamon freaks the little suckers out, and doesn't bother the kitties. Power, or a few sticks in a corner or two, can't hurt anything. I couple of times when they were all over something on the kitchen floor I poured the powder on them and they were toast. Borax works good too.
I'm willing to try anything. Sprout fortified our back door, which used to be their main entryway, with a table salt wall and they didn't come in that way even once.

The spray has the added benefit of keeping my floor sparkly clean. I'd probably go ass over teakettle slipping on cinnamon. Wouldn't that be fun to explain to the ER docs? :lol:
Are you getting the "sugar ants"? If so, there are some pretty effective baits available. I get sugar ants from time to time and the baits do a good job of getting rid of them.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:42 pm

RVInit wrote:
kate520 wrote:

Are you getting the "sugar ants"? If so, there are some pretty effective baits available. I get sugar ants from time to time and the baits do a good job of getting rid of them.

For the little black ants, the bait is the way to go. They take it back to the nest. Plus, the poison only goes where it is needed instead of having to scatter it everywhere. It won't work instantly, but it works.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:This is Texas we're talking about you really expect anything else.
I should have clarified that I meant that discussion needs to happen all across the country, not just in Texas. There are many areas who have built and planned with the attitude that they can ignore environmental factors. My city is equally guilty of being indifferent to mother nature. We've lucked out (not a lot of hurricanes in the midwest) but we have had large river-based flooding. I'd like us to admit as a nation we need to accommodate mother nature, rather than assume mother nature will accommodate us.

Edited: I just realized your response was to my "they'll blame Obama" comment. Yeah, Texas would!

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:15 pm

stoppingby wrote:
Notorial Dissent wrote:This is Texas we're talking about you really expect anything else.
I should have clarified that I meant that discussion needs to happen all across the country, not just in Texas. There are many areas who have built and planned with the attitude that they can ignore environmental factors. My city is equally guilty of being indifferent to mother nature. We've lucked out (not a lot of hurricanes in the midwest) but we have had large river-based flooding. I'd like us to admit as a nation we need to accommodate mother nature, rather than assume mother nature will accommodate us.
Midwest river flooding is a little different. A city like St. Louis or Kansas City could say "no building or rebuilding in the 500 year flood plain and no new levees" and more than 90% of the area would still be open to building. IMHO, that's exactly what we ought to do. A big part of what drives continued building in the flood plain is that with the government building levees and providing insurance, it is just cheaper and easier to build where it is flat.

A place like New Orleans or Houston is a different, more complex, problem.
"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:19 pm

I don't think I have sugar ants. They don't seem to care about the fruit. I have cat food ants. They leave everything but the meat be.
Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:25 pm

I knew he was from Texas; didn't necessarily remember he grew up in Houston.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/technol ... index.html
Tech billionaire and Houston native Michael Dell has committed $36 million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

The pledge from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation is the largest contribution to date. It follows a long list of corporate donations to help the storm's victims and aid with recovery.

The founder and CEO of Dell and his wife Susan on Friday also announced the launch of the Rebuild Texas Fund, along with Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 pm

AndyinPA wrote:I knew he was from Texas; didn't necessarily remember he grew up in Houston.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/01/technol ... index.html
Tech billionaire and Houston native Michael Dell has committed $36 million to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.

The pledge from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation is the largest contribution to date. It follows a long list of corporate donations to help the storm's victims and aid with recovery.

The founder and CEO of Dell and his wife Susan on Friday also announced the launch of the Rebuild Texas Fund, along with Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

How dare he give more than the big orange shitgibbon!

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Uh oh. Mrs. V. Is making noises about as long as we have to have work done this would be a good time to redo the kitchen. :?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:51 pm

kate520 wrote:I don't think I have sugar ants. They don't seem to care about the fruit. I have cat food ants. They leave everything but the meat be.
I have the sugar ants when they do get hungry enough to reach the second floor of the building. They loves the cat food, dry but especially the wet stuff. There are different makes and models of pet food dishes that help discourage the ants by placing them high under a secondary container of water. See Amazon listings.

That said (do we need an ants thread?), my best defense is 1) keep the stuff in the fridge, and if that isn't doable, spray something unpleasant nearby where kitty food sits to discourage them.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 pm

Volkonski wrote:Uh oh. Mrs. V. Is making noises about as long as we have to have work done this would be a good time to redo the kitchen. :?
You have to anyway.

the appliances are toast. stove, dishwasher refrigerator, all need to be replaced.

The base cabinets have to go. Not only will they warp, but you need to demo all the drywall behind them. and if you get rid of the base cabinets, you have to replace the top ones as well to have a matching set.

if the floor is ceramic tile, it should be OK, anything else. . . replace it.

I rebuilt my mother-in-law's kitchen after she got flooded out.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:06 pm

We had a water line break in a washing machine line years ago. The laundry is off the master bedroom on the first floor. We were out of the country so the water break lasted for several days. We have a basement under the bedroom, bath/laundry combination, and den. That water was clean water and drained into the basement, but it was still an unbelievable mess. We had to replace all carpeting and flooring, the washer and dryer, the bathroom cabinetry, and some of the furniture. Even with clean water, we had a mold problem and it didn't smell real great. We were lucky in that the flooring changed directions in the living room, entry, dining room, and kitchen, so the water stopped at the doors of the bedroom and den. It took months to get it all finished and that was without having people all around us competing for available resources. That was extraordinarily stressful; i can't begin to imagine what those of you down there are facing.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:26 pm

OK, that's creepy.

Edit to add: the face in the fire creeps me out

vic

Post by vic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Volkonski wrote:Uh oh. Mrs. V. Is making noises about as long as we have to have work done this would be a good time to redo the kitchen. :?
I didn't have/need a wife to tell me that, but that's what I did after the Northridge quake.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 pm

Sunrise wrote:Of course I meant :sterngard: Maybe I should have used :sterngard: instead. :lol:
:geezertowel:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:01 am

Chilidog wrote:OK, that's creepy.

Edit to add: the face in the fire creeps me out

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:28 am

It looks like the Alvin Onaka smiley face to me. ;)

That's an odd place for a fire. It looks like a warehouse parking lot.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:33 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sunrise wrote:Of course I meant :sterngard: Maybe I should have used :sterngard: instead. :lol:
:geezertowel:
And your very own name is on this one in the smilies.......... :sterngard: Right next to :knitting:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:50 am

:o

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 am

Texas official turns down Canada's offer of supplies and manpower to restore electricity, asks for prayers instead
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3461373
Fuck these people. Fuck all of them. They're too ignorant to recognize an answered prayer when they see one.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:38 am

:(

Alley Theatre destroyed by Harvey

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/arti ... 168267.php
Productions across town have been postponed or cancelled as organizations prioritize cleanup and restoration. Here in the Alley Theatre, a playhouse with national acclaim, the future can't begin until the present damage has been inspected. It's a somber action, partly because the Alley is two years removed from a $46.5 million renovation that revamped much of this flooded area.

:snippity:

What starts off as a sensation of the nose and throat soon turns into a full-body experience — a dizzying mixture of rotting wood, rotting paper, infested carpet, swamp-soaked chairs, sewage, bacteria and humidity. The lobby had been entirely submerged in slimy, green-blue-black water since Sunday, allowing the walls and ceilings to soften and melt. Pinch your nose and you can still smell the rot through your mouth.

How much is the damage worth? Though this is the first time contractors have been able to inspect the scene, Alley management knows it's in the several millions. Their complete renovation two years ago cost more than $46 million, but there are also other elements that add to the toll, like 68 years of production history lost in the destruction of the Alley's prop storage, that can never be recovered.

"All of our luggage, foliage, rugs, china, typewriters, computers, books, paper props, kitchen items, lamp shades are all gone," Rabe says. "There were probably 20,000 pieces of china and 70 TV sets down there."

Return to “Current Events”