LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Sterngard Friegen

Re: LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Failing to have an Irish backstop may lead to the dissolution of the United Kingdom. I wonder if BoJo will enjoy being PM of England.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Boris Johnson ‘driving Scotland towards disaster’
Kieran Andrews, Scottish Political Editor | Francis Elliott, Political Editor
July 29 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

Nicola Sturgeon will confront Boris Johnson today and accuse him of “driving our country towards disaster” in her first meeting with the new prime minister.

Scotland’s first minister said she intended to press Mr Johnson on his plans for a no-deal Brexit and warn him that the policy does not have legitimacy north of the border.

The PM is also due to meet Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader, who declared on the eve of Mr Johnson’s visit to Edinburgh that she would not support no-deal.

The pair’s already strained relations have worsened after he overruled her advice for the second time in a week. After Mr Johnson sacked David Mundell, Ms Davidson’s close ally, as Scottish secretary, he ignored her plea not to visit.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -8s8mh3c85

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Boris Johnson must pull out all the stops to get Ruth Davidson onside
magnus linklater

Boris Johnson faces the first serious rift in his party when he arrives in Scotland today. Confronting him will be the feisty figure of Ruth Davidson, leader of the Scottish Conservatives, and implacable opponent of a no-deal Brexit.

Her position is set out with the forceful clarity that has led to her popularity, not only in Scotland, but south of the border as well, where she has been spoken of as a possible future leader of the UK party.

Despite her failure to sign up to the prime minister’s Brexit commitment, she cannot, unlike dissenters in the cabinet, be sacked.

“As leader of the party in Scotland, my position exists independently of government,” she proclaims.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -qzw0c38ht

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

No-deal Brexit: £500m plan to help farmers
Government will buy livestock if tariffs drive up prices

Oliver Wright, Policy Editor
July 30 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

Boris Johnson travelled to Wales today and pledged that British farmers would be better off if the UK left the European Union at the end of October even if it were without a deal

Ministers are working on a no-deal Brexit plan for farming in which the government would step in and buy slaughtered livestock at set prices in the event of a collapse in European demand because of high tariffs.

Boris Johnson travelled to Wales today and pledged that British farmers would be better off if the UK left the European Union at the end of October even if it were without a deal.

Under plans being finalised by Michael Gove, the former environment secretary who is now in charge of Whitehall no-deal planning, the government would agree to buy any lamb and beef at the point of slaughter at a pre-determined price.

The commitment, expected to cost the Treasury about half a billion pounds a year, would...

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -bx5pnx9qq

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jacob Rees-Mogg Accused Of 'Trolling' And 'Distraction' Over Bizarre Language Guide
"Play the posh funny buffoons so we don’t notice that they’re all truly terrible people."
By Chris York

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been accused of trying to “deflect attention” and “trolling” after issuing a set of rules for staff in his office to follow, including a list of banned words and a requirement to use imperial measurements.

According to the style guide obtained by ITV News, the newly-appointed Leader of the House of Commons insists all non-titled males are given the suffix Esq and words including “ongoing” and “hopefully” are banned.

In a call for accuracy he tells staff: “CHECK your work.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 792e0c77b9

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Congress warns that Irish border is key to trade deal with US
Boer Deng, Washington | Oliver Wright
July 31 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

Any agreement between Boris Johnson and Donald Trump would have to be approved by the Ways and Means committee

Congress will not approve a US-UK trade agreement if Boris Johnson pulls Britain out of the European Union without protecting free movement across the Irish border, the head of the committee that must agree the deal has warned.

Richard Neal, the chairman of the Ways and Means committee through which all trade deals in the US must be approved, told The Times that he would not even hold a vote on any proposed agreement if Brexit leads to a hard border in Ireland.

“We would not have that happen,” Mr Neal said. “I think a bilateral trade agreement with the UK is a good idea. I don’t think sacrificing the Irish border question is consistent with a good idea.”

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -x2fhrclvq

Sterngard Friegen

BoJo's "United Kingdom" will soon be England and Wales.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:02 pm
And won't have trade with anyone. Who knew that an island nation trashing all its existing trade agreements was a bad idea?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 am
insists all non-titled males are given the suffix Esq
I thought "Esq." was only for lawyers? I would be stoked if I could add it to my name! :dance:
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
They seem firmly on the path to being the Canadian province of Southern Scotland. :daydream:

ArthurWankspittle

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

HST's Ghost wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:52 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 am
insists all non-titled males are given the suffix Esq
I thought "Esq." was only for lawyers? I would be stoked if I could add it to my name! :dance:
That's a US thing. 75 years ago no one would think anything of addressing a letter in England to John Smith Esq. instead of Mr John Smith. They were interchangable.

And in case anyone has forgot, Scotland voted 62% in favour of remaining in the EU.
Trump appoints Incitatus to lead corona virus response.
#KingDonaldsPlague

Sterngard Friegen

Dan1100 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:59 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
They seem firmly on the path to being the Canadian province of Southern Scotland. :daydream:
Canada is too sensible to take the shrunken "United Kingdom" under its wing.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Brecon and Radnorshire by-election: Lib Dems win bolsters ‘Remain alliance’ strategy
Kate Devlin, Chief Political Correspondent
August 2 2019, 12:00pm, The Times

Boris Johnson’s working majority in the Commons was cut to one today after the Lib Dems clinched victory in the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election.

The Lib Dems took the seat with 13,826 votes, compared with 12,401 for the Conservatives.

While the Tories squeezed the Brexit Party to 10.5 per cent of the vote, it was not enough to prevent the Lib Dems taking the seat that voted to leave in 2016.

The Lib Dem path to victory was made easier after Plaid Cymru and the Green Party agreed not to field candidates.

The result will raise questions about whether Boris Johnson could win a general election if it is forced on him by parliament before Brexit is delivered.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -lrx3xclmz

Sterngard Friegen

When Northern Ireland and Scotland leave the UK, BoJo's parliamentary margins will be much higher.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

I know it won't happen, but wouldn't it be awesome if Sinn Fein took their seat in Parliament just long enough to kill Brexit and make Boris spontaneously combust. (Suranis???)

tek

Post by tek »

this continues to be a fustercluck of historic proportions.

Remember this scene?
DOC: Tell me, Future Boy, who’s president of the United States in 1985?
MARTY: Ronald Reagan.
DOC: Ronald Reagan? The actor? [Rolls his eyes.]
One can only imagine Back to the Future XIV
There's no way back
from there to here

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

from the weekly digest
Dominic Raab interview: ‘No more weakness. The EU must know we’re serious’
The new foreign secretary says that he wants to avoid Theresa May’s mistakes on Brexit and get Britain ready for no‑deal, writes Francis Elliott

The Times, July 26 2019, 10:00pm

They are still getting used to Dominic Raab in the new foreign secretary’s private office. The man who famously sent his staff to buy him the same Pret lunch every day now sends back coffee when it arrives in a green porcelain cup. “I’d like it in the one I had before,” he says to an aide, a vessel that turns out to be a large pink travel mug.

Brussels is already well aware of Mr Raab’s single-minded determination to have things his own way. The former Brexit secretary, who resigned in protest at Theresa May’s compromise with the EU, is back as foreign secretary and Boris Johnson’s deputy and is hell-bent on securing a deal to his taste.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/domi ... -zcxtbq2lm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Brexit: Trump administration ‘tells Boris Johnson to drop tax on tech giants’ to secure trade deal
The Independent Andrew Buncombe, Zamira Rahim,The Independent 14 hours ago

The Trump administration has made it clear to Boris Johnson that any post-Brexit US-UK free trade deal would rely on Britain dropping plans to tax large American tech firms, according to reports.

Last month, Donald Trump announced that he and the British prime minister had already discussed the projects of a free trade relationship, when he telephoned to congratulate him on winning his way to No 10.

“We’re working already on a trade agreement,” Mr Trump told reporters. “And I think it’ll be a very substantial trade agreement, you know we can do with the UK, we can do three to four times, we were actually impeded by their relationship with the European Union.”

Now it has been reported any special deal between the two countries would depend on Britain dropping the digital services tax, which was first announced by then chancellor Phillip Hammond in his October 2018 budget, and which is due to come into affect in April next year.

:snippity:
“I think it’s deeply unfair that high street businesses are paying tax through the nose, whereas the internet giants, the Faangs – Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Google – are paying virtually nothing,” Mr Johnson said last month in York. “We’ve got to find a way of taxing the internet giants on their income, because at the moment it is simply unfair.”

:snippity:

“I met with the UK officials earlier, and said ‘You expect a trade agreement with the United States and the UK It will not happen with your digital services tax. Period. Full stop’,” said senator Ron Wyden, the top Democrat on the Senate finance committee.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-admini ... 00093.html

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:36 am
from the weekly digest
Dominic Raab interview: ‘No more weakness. The EU must know we’re serious’
The new foreign secretary says that he wants to avoid Theresa May’s mistakes on Brexit and get Britain ready for no‑deal, writes Francis Elliott

The Times, July 26 2019, 10:00pm

They are still getting used to Dominic Raab in the new foreign secretary’s private office. The man who famously sent his staff to buy him the same Pret lunch every day now sends back coffee when it arrives in a green porcelain cup. “I’d like it in the one I had before,” he says to an aide, a vessel that turns out to be a large pink travel mug.

Brussels is already well aware of Mr Raab’s single-minded determination to have things his own way. The former Brexit secretary, who resigned in protest at Theresa May’s compromise with the EU, is back as foreign secretary and Boris Johnson’s deputy and is hell-bent on securing a deal to his taste.

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/domi ... -zcxtbq2lm

:lol:

Yeah, good luck with that pal.

Since the article is behind a paywall, I have to ask: Was there any mention of how he expects to get any new deal at all, much less one he likes?
Am I being detained?

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi »

Easy:

The Brexiters hold their breath until the EU gives them what they want - and a pony on top!
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.
"From Not To Hot " is not my Favorite TV Show

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

A fall election appears inevitable. The future of the Union probably hangs in the balance.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Sterngard Friegen

Reality Check wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 pm
A fall election appears inevitable. The future of the Union probably hangs in the balance.
By "Union" you mean United Kingston, right?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Reality Check wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 pm
Can somebody fill me in on the likelihood of a fall election? I know the twit only has a one vote majority, but if that holds it's enough, yeah? My Vern Wise Brother in Law told me that there were Tories threatening to support a vote of no confidence? :confused:
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

p0rtia wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Can somebody fill me in on the likelihood of a fall election? I know the twit only has a one vote majority, but if that holds it's enough, yeah? My Vern Wise Brother in Law told me that there were Tories threatening to support a vote of no confidence? :confused:
There are several Tories who are so opposed to a No Deal Brexit that they have threatened to bring down the government if Johnson follows through with No Deal. I think there is another Tory MP who is on trial for sexual assault. If he has to step down that could flip another seat.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

Return to “Current Events”