LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Mikedunford

Re: LEAVE Brexit Vote: Leave EU Thu 23 June - Market and US Election Impact

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:16 am
Richard Dawkins is a moron. That was always on offer (and, in my view, always the most likely outcome).
:) C'mon Mike, where are your previous high standards of both debate and snark? :)

You know very well that Richard Dawkins is a long way from being a moron. A moron doesn't get appointed to a chair at Oxford University (the Simonyi Professorship for the Public Understanding of Science). I have some misgivings about some of his views on the mechanisms of natural selection in biological evolution, as perhaps you do with your pre-lawyer lab coat on, but that's nor relevant here.

I can't read Dawkins' mind, so I don't know what his intended meaning was. He could be suggesting that the "Leave" campaign implied there would be an orderly, negotiated exit ... I have no idea whether that's an accurate depiction or not. Or he could be suggesting that the leave/remain vote was non-specific, so it's wrong to claim it as support for any particular type of exit, disorderly or negotiated. Without context, I dunno.

What's clear from reports I have seen this week is that the UK government's political negotiators are massively deluded about their position. They're saying that the next move must be from the EU but without appreciating that the EU team is (a) constrained by its terms of reference from the multi-national body overseeing it, and (b) can simply sit and wait, because it's the UK leaving the EU, not the EU leaving the UK (nor the EU kicking out the UK). The UK's negotiators seem to think that they can bully the EU: ain't gonna happen.
True, true.

Too, also, it's worth noting that Dawkins is actually quite intelligent - if only because it means that he doesn't actually have lack of ability as an excuse when he engages in sloppy thinking.1

It's true that his meaning is unclear. It would be nice, given his alleged skills at communicating complex concepts to a popular audience, if he was perhaps slightly better at dealing with a 140-character limit, but the Tweet in question is consistent with what I've seen of his Twitter skills in the past.

I fully agree regarding the current UK delusional position. They're trying to bluff their way though, but they're holding no cards at all.

1: I've met Dawkins, and had a meal with him and a handful of others. Terribly disappointing; he's far from the most pleasant man to be around. Which may influence my impression of him. (I also met Gould once, and found him - although unquestionably at least as arrogant as Dawkins - to be a very nice guy.)
I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Suranis wrote:Anyway, a dutch guy writes on what is wrong with England right now, and who he is leaving Britain and he is glad Brexit happened. In short, the class system is total horseshit, the Press is a horror story run by 6 right wing monsters, and the English are too stuck up their own arse to realize they are not that important and the EU does not need them more than they need the EU. Also the Brits cant see things except in terms of winners and losers, and that needs to be knocked out of them hard. Its a good read even if you disagree with it. I don't, and frankly I see a lot of the same shit here in Ireland.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/maga ... he-england
Insightful article and some excellent comments too. Thanks, Suranis! :kiss:

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Dawkins' Tweet appears to be ironic to me.

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:54 am

Wishing all well in the path of the hurricane, another crazy weather event this year...

Be careful Suranis!
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:30 am

The number of nurses and midwives coming to work in Britain from Europe has plunged by 89% since the UK voted to leave the EU, new figures have revealed.

The sharp fall coincided with a sudden increase in qualified European medics leaving the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s (NMC) register: from 2,435 in 2015-16 to 4,067 in the last year – a rise of 67%.

The NMC data, released on Thursday, also shows a third worrying trend relating to the NHS’s already shortstaffed workforce – that the number of UK-trained nurses and midwives leaving the register rose by 11%, from 26,653 in 2015-16 to 29,019 last year.

Health union leaders said the trends were alarming and constituted “a double whammy for the NHS and patients”. The NHS is already short of an estimated 40,000 nurses across the UK and 3,500 midwives in England alone.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 am

Due to Brexit the UK NHS is having problems recruiting EU physicians. The NHS is trying to hire 2000 EU physicians over 3 years beginning in 2017. in the 1st 6 months of 2017 only 38 were recruited.

It might also have something to do with how hard UK docs have to work.

Monday
It’s supposed to be my day off, but instead I’m at home filing up to 50 laboratory results, x-rays, ultrasounds and scans before starting to sift through the 70 letters that have arrived in my email inbox. This is alongside getting the kids up, dressed and to school on time.
:snippity:
I’m at the computer all day, except to pick up the kids from school before getting down to work again. By 9.45pm I’m trying to wind down, but have seen a request for information from social services and the police, who are concerned a young person may be being abused or vulnerable to abuse. The information needs to be emailed tonight. Employment and support allowance benefit forms also need completing – they have already been sitting on my desk a week too long. And I have yet to send back a report about a patient with a severe learning disability, starting a discussion on end-of-life planning with their family. I decide to leave it to the morning as it requires a fresh head.

Wednesday
I’m up at 6am, leave by 6.35 and go for a short run at 7.15. I realise I have unfinished requests for exceptional funding for open MRI scans, for a patient who has severe anxiety and claustrophobia and another who is too big to fit in a normal scanner. GPs have to make such requests when their local clinical commissioning group has refused to fund treatment for a patient.
I just want to get home, catch up on Bake Off and see my family. I’m home by 10.30pm. My children have not seen me properly for two days.
:o :shock: :o :shock:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Looks like the USA is going to force the UK to drop some of its regulations in order to get a trade deal.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 am
Due to Brexit the UK NHS is having problems recruiting EU physicians. The NHS is trying to hire 2000 EU physicians over 3 years beginning in 2017. in the 1st 6 months of 2017 only 38 were recruited.

https:// twitter.com/NBCNews/status/926816086095405056

It might also have something to do with how hard UK docs have to work.
https:// twitter.com/guardian/status/926760206377238529

:o :shock: :o :shock:
I guess that European workers flow back now when they see local work opportunities at home cause they don't want to be caught up with the bureaucracy once the become simple foreigners and not Europeans. For the same reason no one tends to migrate to the UK, they don't want later to be bound by the inevitable red tape. The UK has missed the opportunity to declare and guarantee one-sided that European citizens will have a privileged status grandfathered over into the new aera. Maybe they fear losing an argument once it comes to have British subjects getting special residency treatment in the EU countries.

Return to “Current Events”